none
Dual boot Windows 7 and DOS

Question

• Hi,

before installing windows 7 i have set up one partition with DOS on it. It is primary partition and active (boot flag on). After that, i began installing windows 7. Installation went on fine and all was great, but, windows 7 didn't recognise DOS as another operating system although partition had been set as active, so i cannot boot into DOS. I tried modifying stuff with bcdeditor.exe, but without success. I simply don't know how to work with it and what parameters to set.

So, if anyone could help me, i'd very appriciate it.
    Thank you.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:55 PM

Answers

• Yes, didn't work.

I have solved my problem. It seems the problem was in bootsect.dos. Before I installed WIN7, i had DOS and WIN XP in dual boot. I backed up everything bedore installin win7, of course, so I just used the old bootsect.dos from backed up DOS partition. And it worked!! Hurray!! :)

But, it still troubles me, i don't know why it wouldn't work with new bootsect.dos :S ??

PS Thanks for your help. :)
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

Use easybcd free tool to add menu entry for your dos OS in win7 boot menu.
    Run bcdedit from within win7 and set type as win95/98/me
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Thnx.

I tried it but didn't work out. It seems like boot manager loads every time I try to boot DOS.. I did everything you said, and I also manually created DOS bootsect.dos (with acronis disc director suite, long story, but the file is certainly correct and valid). I restart my computer, boot manager shows up, i select DOS, click enter, everything disappears, screen becomes blank for a few seconds with DOS pointer flashing ( '_' ),  and after that boot manager loads again.

This is my bcdedit file:

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=F:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {251a8b4e-ed74-11dd-98f4-957dffd86338}
    displayorder            {current}
                            {251a8b57-ed74-11dd-98f4-957dffd86338}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows 7
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {251a8b50-ed74-11dd-98f4-957dffd86338}
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {251a8b4e-ed74-11dd-98f4-957dffd86338}
    nx                      OptIn
    sos                     No

Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier              {251a8b57-ed74-11dd-98f4-957dffd86338}
    device                  partition=F:
    path                    \bootsect.dos
    description             MS DOS

As you can see, boot manager is located on the DOS partition. Could it be the source of the problem ?? If yes, how do I solve it ?

Thnx
    Monday, February 02, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Do you have win xp installed on this drive?

I suppose problem comes from incorrect boot sector image.

How you created boot sector image? Give me steps please

I have not tested easybcd for dos partitions and I am wondering is it mandatory to have bootsect.dos file on that partition in order easybcd to add start menu entru for it?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 11:59 AM
  • No, I don't have Windows XP installed. Just one partition with DOS, one with Win7 and one with data.

First, i followed directions from this site:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jdbryan/ntfs-dual-boot.html

And it didn't work. Same thing happend as descriped in the post above.

So, I installed Acronis Disk Director Suite, and with it, I read the boot sector of the DOS partition and copied it to a file bootsect.dos.

And it also didn't work, like described.

Monday, February 02, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Did you tried what does easybcd if there is not bootsect.dos file on dos partition?
    Monday, February 02, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Yes, didn't work.

I have solved my problem. It seems the problem was in bootsect.dos. Before I installed WIN7, i had DOS and WIN XP in dual boot. I backed up everything bedore installin win7, of course, so I just used the old bootsect.dos from backed up DOS partition. And it worked!! Hurray!! :)

But, it still troubles me, i don't know why it wouldn't work with new bootsect.dos :S ??

PS Thanks for your help. :)
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Carey Frisch

of course you must mark my replay as nswer but.......

How you get these medals at all, who give you them and for what?

Even we assume answer is not in my replays, I think it is correct to mark my post as answer, because I have helpg him to resolve its problem

In this case amswer is in my post so, you obviously have some problems, but I will not profiling you
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Carey Frisch

of course you must mark my replay as nswer but.......

How you get these medals at all, who give you them and for what?

Even we assume answer is not in my replays, I think it is correct to mark my post as answer, because I have helpg him to resolve its problem

In this case amswer is in my post so, you obviously have some problems, but I will not profiling you

Um, no. The problem was bootsect.dos. The only time that you mentioned that file was to ask if br0wn needs it at all. So not only did you not lead him to the solution, but if anything, you were leading him down the wrong path. So no, your answer(s) should not be marked as the solution; br0wn’s post is the correct answer.

• Edited by mwalsher Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:51 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:50 PM