none
Conexant AC-Link Audio

Question

•  After installing Vista Beta 2 Build 5384, I can not get my audio device to work. I have a HP Pavilion zv6130 laptop with a Conexant CX20468-31 AC97 audio chipset. When I try to run the hardware wizard, I get the following message

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Conexant AC-Link Audio

The system cannot find the file specified"

I've looked at planet AMD and downloaded the realteck audio driver for AC97 for Vista.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get my sound working?

Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:53 AM

Answers

• EXCITED only begins to describe the way I feel!!! After almost a week with no audio on my HP Pavilion ZV6130us, I finally have sound!!

I wish I could take credit for finding the fix (work around) but I found the solution at PlanetAMD.com If you read the fix from KB3LWJ (his 3rd post), it shows how to do it and has a link for a zip file that works on my computer.

I guess I've given him enough credit so here's the link many of you are dieing to go to.

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=23427&hl=conexant

Friday, June 16, 2006 1:33 AM
  • Hardware Configuration:

Gateway MX6428 Notebook (originally bundled with Windows XP SP1, 1GB or 333MHZ ram, Hitachi 5400rpm drive, AMD Turion64, a 64-bit single core 2GHZ CPU)

Upgrades: 2GB of 333MHZ of ram, Hitachi 7200rpm drive

To Robert Mileski to all other interested parties:

Attempted Migration of Host to Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

Like you I started with a clean machine due in part to a notebook Hitachi IDE 7200rpm cluster failure.  I switched drives to another like drive and low-level formated the bad drive with success with a diagnotic utility from Hitachi.

I loaded as host the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate on my Gateway MX6428 laptop.  The device manager had problems with three devices which I recall to be the Texas Instruments PCIXX21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller (a mass storage device), the AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP, and the Conexant AC-Link Audio device.  I am not sure if the modem and the audio device are some hybrid device from Conexant; Conexant makes some devices that are a two-for-one deal.  Given the missing drivers and even the slowness of the computer, I decided that now is not the time to move to 64-bit Vista.

My Direction - Load Microsoft Vista Ultimate (32-bit) as Virtual Machine under VMware

• I reloaded Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1 (32-bit), then SP2 as Host
    • I loaded Microsoft Vista Ultimate (32-bit) as Virtual Machine using VMWare Workstation (under 200 dollars).  I chose this over Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 because the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 does not have USB support to virtual machines.  I would like to have had Vista as host and XP as a virtual machine since Microsoft allows the additional loading of another copy of Vista as a virtual machine with no additional license.
    • The ONLY device failing under Microsoft Vista Ultimate as a VM was the Conexant AC-Link Audio device.  I have tried a Vista driver provided for another Gateway notebook (Model CX2620) without success.
    • I loaded Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 and Windows Server 2003 as well primarily for access for a database server I can use only when I need to.

Actions Moving Forward

• I will try a suggestion on one of the thread that pointed to a Vista generic AMD driver for audio.  Maybe that will work.
    • There was also a mention of a RealTek driver I think.  I am not sure if that was for 64-bit systems only.

My solution is going down the 32-bit Vista VM path versus the Vista host path.  Any insight into my current direction would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

James Sigler

jmsigler2@hotmail.com

Sunday, December 16, 2007 Update / Solution

Analysis

• I booted into Vista using the F8 option.  I chose the boot option that disables the mandatory signed driver requirement for all Vista drivers.
    • I downloaded the driver installation information from that I received from Gateway available to download on its website.

Audio Driver version [6.14.10.575].02142006

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20489&uid=179055103

D00377-002-001.exe is a self-extracting file containing all files for the driver installation.

• I executed D00377-002-001.exe which self extracts the following files to "c:\cabs\D00377-002-001\".  I then ran Setup.exe to install the driver.  I will note the location each file was mapped or copied when appropriate.

1.) ari2041a.cat (driver catalog file) --> C:\windows\inf\CATALOG\

2.) ari2041a.inf (driver information file) --> C:\windows\inf\

3.) camc6aud.sys (driver file) --> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

4.) camc6hal.sys (driver file) --> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

5.) caudinst.dll (driver file) --> C:\Windows\System32\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

6.) HXFSetup.exe --> and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

7.) readme.txt (text file for overview and installation)

8.) Setup.exe (setup application for installation of driver)

9.) storme-eq.ini (configuration file)

• I discovered that Vista has an INF folder for what appears to be the same driver information but I did not use this as part of my installation process.  This Vista folder is located at C:\Windows\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb".  I happend upon it when searching for the file caudinst.dll.  The search found two files, one from the Gateway install from the self-extracting file and the other built into Vista at the following folder I just provided you.  This folder has a different INF file named QTA0610A.inf.  This file contains the following extract:

[Extract from QTA0610A.inf]

;*********************************************************
    ;qta0610a.inf
    ;
    ;**********************************************************
    ; Copyright (C) 1999, 2005, Conexant Systems, Inc.
    ; INF file to install a WDM driver for AC97 Audio devices

[/Extract from QTA0610A.inf]

This extract appears to validate that this folder in Vista is what we are all looking for.  The driver signature here still shows as Signature="$CHICAGO$".  I am unclear if this is a problem or if this just means the drivers is backward compatible to the Windows 98 operating system.  However, I point out that I see no drivers with a VXD extension let alone a driver with a DRV extension which is NT specific.  The files in the Vista FileRepository have the most current file dates, so I am going to update my successful audio driver installation with these files and remove those ones from Gateway and see what happens.  In any case, below are the actions I used to get audio successfully working.

Actions to Successfully Finding a Solution

• I tried to run the Gateway Setup.exe application a couple of times.  Each time I tried the GUI announced it was a failure.  But, after that I decided to go to the Device Manager where the Sound section was showing a Multimedia Audio device as unknown and not installed.  I tried to update the driver manually by mapping to the directory or folder of the self extracted files.  In the past, I had tried to even let Microsoft check the web for the driver without success.
    • I suddenly had a idea.  Could I reclass the driver in the INF file, ari2041a.inf,  from being marked as a Chicago driver to that of an NT driver?  In other words, I replaced the line in the Version section from "Signature="$CHICAGO$"" to "Signature="$Windows NT$"".  I again tried to update the unknown Multimedia Audio driver within Device manager allowing Microsoft to search for the driver.  I suddenly had success.  I could not believe.  I am not positive my change did the trick here, but a driver loaded and I now have sound.  How about that!  You might try switching the signature back in the INF file and see if everything still works.

Below, is the information that loaded to give me audio within Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

Device Manager reports:

Sound, video and game controllers

1.) Creative AudioPCI(ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)

Provider: Creative Technology Ltd., Date: 6/18/2002, Version: 5.2.3633.0, Signer: microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

2.) Unsupported Game Port for Creative

Publisher: Microsoft, Date: 4/11/2006, Version: 1.0.0.0, Signer: Microsoft Windows

The model number for the Conexant AC-Link Audio within my Gateway MX6428 is CX20468-31.  This information can be found in the Gateway User Guide titled "Gateway 6400 Series Notebook Specifications". (http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8510734.pdf)

If my path to a solution works for you, great.  If not, I would also try the INF folder in the new Vista File Repository on the path I mentioned above.  Last, we now know this driver's origin comes from Creative Technology.  We can also assume that the "ca" in the beginning of the driver files stands for CreativeAudio.

I hope you find this path as your solution.  If not, it should be of some help.

Sincerely,

James Sigler

jmsigler2@hotmail.com

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have the driver in a folder on your local computer, follow these steps:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Select Classic View
    3. Double-click Device Manager
    4. Expand Sound, video and game controllers
    5. Right click your audio device and select Update Driver Software... from the context menu
    6. In the dialog box, select Browse my computer for driver software
    7. Use the following dialog to browse to the location of the driver files
    8. Click Next
    9. Continue to follow the prompts.
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:07 AM
  • Same problem here.  I've got an HP Pavilion ze5600.  Vista installs fine, and I've been able to use it now for a day, but I still have no audio.  I've searched HP's website, and of course they are no help. I cannot find a driver anywhere.  Hopefully somebody can help!
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:43 PM
  • Same problem with the zv6600... It's completely impossible to have the sound working with Vista64. Any news from HP, Conexant or Microsoft about a generic driver for AC97 chipsets ???
    Monday, June 12, 2006 9:04 AM
  • Tried that, still no luck, it keeps saying instilation failed. I've copied the driver file to the windows/system32 folder and copied the program from the program files(x86) file to the program files folder. I've tried realtek drivers, intel drivers, ATI southbrige drivers, still no luck...
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:23 AM
  • Exact same problem as above!! I have an HP dv8040ca, Running on windows beta 2 64bit english version... I have three drives that wont install as well... Multimedia Card Reader, PCI Modem and the Conexant AC-Link Audio!. I care most about the audio... HELP PLEASE
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:01 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem on my pavilion dv5084 I hope someone up there in microsoft will be able to help us all..............
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:32 PM
  • The 64-bit version of Vista does not allow unsigned drivers to load by default. As a result, many beta drivers provided by manufacturers that are unsigned will not run.

Some users have reported that they can press F8 during the boot sequence to disable checking for signed drivers, and have had success with their devices after doing so. I have not tested this myself, but will do so today on my 64-bit test machine.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:35 PM
  • After days of frustration not having sound, I've been able to make the problem change. I downloaded the ATI catalyst 64 driver at www.ati.com I have an X200 ATI video card in my laptop, similar to everyone elses. If you manully install the driver in the folder "C:/ATI/SUPPORT/ait_LH_RC0_Packages/Drivers/WDM/AVS_T200/LH64A" and install the driver ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver you get a message that the device cannot start (error code 10). After that I don't know what to do to get the device to function properly. Any ideas on what would cause the device not to start (besides the obvious that the driver isn't the correct one, and what driver I should be using)
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:11 AM
  • I am in the same boat you guys are i have a hp R4125us . with the same Conexant AC-Link Audio. i have tried almost every file on planetAMD64 and i can not get audio to work. i am going to try the f8 boot mood.  has any one found a 64x driver yet?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:35 PM
  • OK windows vista is TOO beta for me right now, I mean, what's the point of having it if you're never going to use it. Everytime I boot up Vista I'm pissed by the fact that I don't have audio! and turn it off... I already formatted my second HDD with the Vista in it. Maybe later I'll download the 32 bit version and try. Right now I'm going to install MAC OS X as dual boot OS in my HP...

I'm not ready to deal with Windows Beta 2 Right now. Let alone Windows Vista Beta 64bit with more issues...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:13 PM
  •  

Exact same problem !! I have an HP NX6125 dualboot with windows vista beta2  64bit.

I have 4 drives that wont install as well...

1. Multimedia Card Reader
    2. PCI Modem
    3. Fingerprint
    4. Conexant AC97 Audio

For MULTIMEDIA CARD READER i use TI 7x21 FlashMedia/SD Host controller driver -Win64

For PCI MODEM i use Foxconn Conexant MDC1.5 Modem WinXP/2K Driver for ATI SB400 /Win64

No driver for FINGERPRINT

No driver for CONEXANT AC97 AUDIO. I try Realtek, Intel, Sound Blaster, ATI and original Conexant for windows xp... nothing...  my computer is dumb...  :-(

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:40 PM
  • EXCITED only begins to describe the way I feel!!! After almost a week with no audio on my HP Pavilion ZV6130us, I finally have sound!!

I wish I could take credit for finding the fix (work around) but I found the solution at PlanetAMD.com If you read the fix from KB3LWJ (his 3rd post), it shows how to do it and has a link for a zip file that works on my computer.

I guess I've given him enough credit so here's the link many of you are dieing to go to.

Friday, June 16, 2006 1:33 AM
  •  

I had success on the upgrade path from XP. I have a Presario V5000 laptop with AMD Turion64 and Conexant AC-Link Audio. After having this same issue I reinstalled XP clean and then took the upgrade path from XP and it worked. Presumably because the driver was already there and working? I don't know for sure. I do now have audio where I didn't after both clean Vista Build 5384 installs. (X64 and X86). 

Dave

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:31 PM
  • I also have the same issue. No Audio with my HP Pavilion ze5375us notebook. I contacted HP and they are "very aware" of the problem with Vista and are presently working on a driver for the Conexant AC-Link Audio issue. I hope it's soon....I've ran out of things to try...
    Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:39 PM
  • anyone have luck with this file?

i have an HP DV5130ca running the public beta 2 of vista.

when i try to load this, i receive:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

The system cannot find the file specified.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

According to the HP site, i do have the connexant chipset in this laptop.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:24 AM
  • Fix doesn't work for me, same problem as Kenned3.  HP L2005CO
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:53 AM
  • Just use windows update to get the vista driver for conexant ac-link audio.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:32 AM
  • sorry, but that is probably the first thing everyone here with that problem has tried.  "no new updates available for your system".

when it boots, vista offers to find drivers for it, but then fails saying something like "unavailable".

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:59 AM
  • most annoying is the stuipd "vista capable" sticker on my laptop.

Cmon HP, a multimedia laptop is vista ready but NO SOUND?

i woudl expect this to be corrected when vista is in production. 

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:01 AM
  • Yes, I think in order to sign up for the Beta one is probably courageous enough to try the obvious and then a bunch of things you don’t see why they’d work but do them anyway.  So far I’ve tried the F8 deal  and the suggestion from the below link as well as 2 complete installs with no luck. Still hoping for some more wild ideas or a fix from Microsoft…

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:43 AM
  • Same issue: I have tried the f8 trick i have also tried the "Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON" trick to no avail. I continualy get a CODE (39) error. Besides sound everthing else works out of the box.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 5:21 AM
  • If I remember correctly, there was an option to download either the 32-bit version, 64-bit version or the "full" or 32-bit and 64-bit version", which was about an 84m file. That's the one I used and it worked fine. Still no sound but got a good ATI driver.  Also, after installing the 63-bit Vista I found I had much better luck with downloads in general using the Internet Explorer (64 bit) over the Internet Explorer (34 bit).

Just a note to you guys...if you figure out how to get that sound driver working, don't be happy and forget about the rest of us, come back and tell us what you did.  I was very close to getting rid of the Vista Beta SW and decided that I was going to just hand in there for the long haul. Sound is a big part of my computing experience but on this PC I'll muddle through because, even with the Office 2007 crashes, fatal errors and all else we're enduring,  I think the benefits will be worth it in the end.

Good luck to all!

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:24 AM
  • I recently bought a HP DV5000 series and encountered the same problem.

To get it to work I did the following:

1.  Deleted the entire Windows Media Center 2005 partition.

2.  Created two partitions (thinking of having MCE in one of them.)

3.  Installed Windows Vista Beta 2.

4.  Load CD and installed MCE with  R option when asked.  (with HP Recovery CD)

5.  After installing Media Center with all drivers in the second partion (did it automatically), we have all the necessary drivers that Vista didn't found.

6.  When Vista prompted location for browsing new drivers, I browsed to the new partition created where the Media Center edition installed.

7.  It found the drivers for audio, and for the "mass storage device" which is the card reader.  No problems up to now!!!  The sound card functions flawlessly!!!

*****Note:  the drivers are in SWSETUP folder.  This troubleshooting probably will work with all recent HP laptops.

8.  Enjoy!!!

Monday, June 26, 2006 11:24 AM
  • please if you get anything that works can u please send it to me as well I have the same laptop with the same audio problem.  And as well if i find anything i will let u know.

thanks for your help

fireball1020@hotmail.com

Monday, June 26, 2006 5:34 PM
  • Thanks for the tip with the SWSETUP folder.  I have the Realtek Audio chip and kept getting the "can't find specified file" error message.  Finally browsed to the SWSETUP folder and it installed fine (now have audio).  Haven't tried re-booting yet but the Vista Beta driver installed fine (running 64-bit Vista).  I previously had the 64-bit XP driver installed but Vista kept crashing and would not reboot (had to start in Safe mode and uninstall the XP driver).
    Sunday, July 02, 2006 2:50 AM
  • Thank you so much !!!! This worked on my Presario V5015 notebook. I have sound!!!!!!!! The only thing that I had to do different was at the command prompt make sure you are at c/ prompt only to run the bcdedit.exe.
    Sunday, July 02, 2006 5:29 PM
  • I finaly got the sound to work on my HP pavilion dv8210us

frist download this http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?s=4d2b4674eea6ea9862fd5607cbd37453&act=Attach&type=post&id=4177

then install

reboot pressing F8

at th option screen choose the boot option "disable driver autitcation" or something like that

audio should work now..good luck

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 2:42 AM
  • Have same HP - dv 5084 - HP refuses to assist and on another board some one posted that HP - SP30305 for Realtek AC 97 works. It would be helpful is MSFT would start having drivers for simple task like those. Is you multimedia driver working? Mine is not. How much memory are you using?

Rolland

July 6th - installed teh SP30305 for realtek as soem one suggested on a dv5084 - sound does not work even that controls work and Sound Manager pops up including the volume control showing sound aplitude but no sound from speakers or audio jacks.

SP31635 - Conexant AC-Link Audio Drivers failed to register as did Audio64

Any suggestions

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:19 AM
  • Alright, I have an dv5210us Pavilion laptop - couldn't get sound w/ Vista.  Went to HP, downloaded Conexant drivers for XP.  It didnt install.  So, I went to Device manager, right clicked on the Multimedia device that had the exclamation point, said reinstall driver and pointed it to the directory where I installed the 'defunct' audio drivers.  It installed fine...sound works.
    Friday, July 07, 2006 11:37 PM

• HEY PEOPLE!! I'VE GOT THE ANSWER!!!

I FINALLY HAVE SOUND!! AC97 Driver, the original, no fakes! Windows Vista 64bit...

Download the driver from here http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=506&DetailName=BetaDriver&DetailDesc=RS480-M(1.0)&MenuID=35&LanID=0

Install setup and follow the indications untill you have to restart. at first I was disappointed because It didn't work right away after rebooting.. but at least there was a driver working and the sound device is recognized as Realtek AC'97 Audio.. everything looks ok softwarewise since my volume buttons on the keyboard like volume up, volume down and mute -which didnt work before- now do work... but the speakers wouldnt emmit any sound.. so you go to Control Panel (Classic View)> Audio Devices and Sound Themes.

now in the window for audio devices you see the realtek AC'97 audio as a device and an sound activity bar, (I did this process while playing a song so I did see the sound bar in action!, THATS A PROGRESS I THOUGHT)... so you double click on the device which should have a check mark.. once the properties for realtek ac97 device pops up, you go to the "Levels" Tab, you see two volume bars, One says "volume control" and the other one "Main Volume".. this last one has a speaker with an X, like if the main volume was muted!, click on it and thats it!!! volume unmuted!!!!

Saturday, July 08, 2006 1:27 PM
  • ramazan

Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:34 PM
  • ses

Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:36 PM
  • NEXST
    Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:49 PM
  • Ivan, you da man! This worked perfectly for me. I didn't think I was ever going to have sound on the 64bit install, this is awesome. Hope it works for the rest of you still struggling with the audio driver, great feeling, rebooting your PC after all this time and hearing a noise from your PC Speakers!.  Good luck to the rest!
    Saturday, July 08, 2006 11:32 PM
  • Try downloading the driver from the web and run it in compatability mode. I did that on my HP Vista box and it worked.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 3:35 AM
  • Ok don't know if this would work for all of you all but for me it did.  For some strange reason ur audio device especially Conexant Ac-Link Audio built into laptops sometimes fails to start.  System restore even reformatting ur HD isn't going to solve this issue in some cases.  Without goin into the technical details (dont want to put some of you all to sleep  ) but for laptops especially, turn on ur pc make sure u have all the correct audio drivers installed and so fort. Next, remove the power cord and with the laptop runnin' on battery power (make sure to save all of your work and have no programs running that might run the risk of losing your info) remove the battery (Yes I know sounds weird, but trust me I've been doin this for many, many years, well not removing batteries but you know what I mean).  This should reset all of your hardware issues if done correctly.

Let me Know if it works for you.......

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 4:55 PM
  • I have an HP Pavillion zv6000.  I've been very happy with it for a year now.  However, all of a sudden today, I have no sound.  So I did a troubleshoot and find that my Conexant AC-Link Audio is not functioning.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the hardware...tried updating the driver...nothing seems to work.

Looks like a lot of other folks are having the same problem.  HELP!

Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:37 AM
  • Not sure but I think the solution might already be here for you. You need to note if you have the 32 or 64 bit set-up, I tried all of the solutions listed but with my HP and the 64 bit OS the only one that worked was the one I referred to earlier.  Like I said, hopefully out of the 4 or 5 different possible solutions listed in the previous posts, one will work for you. Good luck!
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 5:35 AM
  • I have the same problem with my zd7160us.  It is running on Windows XP SP2, but I don't know how to determine if it is 32 or 64 bit. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Hello CM,

If you're running XP, this might not be the best forum thread for you as most people here, I think, are dealing with the Vista Beta OS.  If you are running XP however, you're in luck because it will be easy for you to get an answer to your problem if it is only a driver/S/W issue.  You can assume you are running on 32-bit and HP has a good diagnosis sight as well as driver update sight.  You mentioned that you have "the same problem" so I assume you mean no sound, though a few issues have been mentioned here so if that's not it, maybe you can clarify.

The first thing I would do is go to www.hp.com and click on their link to "Software and Driver Downloads". It will ask your model number and just type in the zd7160us. A list of updated drivers will come up, look to see if there are any Audio/Sound drivers and pick the most recent, download it and run. If that doesn't fix your problem, I would look at going into your device manager, try to update the device there and if you can't, it doesn't work or there's a yellow exclaimation point by the device,  you can “uninstall" the driver and restart the machine. When it starts up, it will look for the best driver for that hardware.  HP also has a chat Tech you can speak chat with on the sight I gave you. They are pretty good with XP issues but not up to speed yet on all the Vista problems but, hopefully that won't be an issue for you. Good luck!/Hasbro

Sunday, August 20, 2006 4:17 PM
  • All you guys are suffering with Vista 64bit, hey I'm on an HPdv5140ca runningWindows XP 64 bit Version and have the exact same problem every person on this post describe..This is really getting to me..The other day I went into a Mac store and to be honnest I'm really considering getting one and just forget about this Vista thing. Maybe Life will be easier. This is an SOS (Sick OF this System) call for help -- please whoever finds a solution to this problem please help the rest of us --
    Friday, September 01, 2006 4:14 AM
  • I just install Windows Vista 5384 Beta2 in my notebook HP dv5040us and the audio (Conexant AC-Link Audio) works fine. Follow bellow the procedures.

When you just finished install Windows go to control panel than user accounts and then go to Change Security Settings. Disable UAC and restart the computer.

After reboot, go to Device Manager and install the driver using updating the driver and choose browsing the driver in your folder.

This procedure will install the audio. It is working for me. I tried that on Windows Vista 64 and didn't work, I gess the driver it is only compatible with 32 system.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 7:52 PM
  • Did you tried downloading this 64 bit audio driver?

Download the driver from here

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=506&DetailName=BetaDriver&DetailDesc=RS480-M(1.0)&MenuID=35&LanID=0

Try the above first but RC1 is out too, that might be helpful if you haven't downloaded/installed it already.  You can get RC1  from the below. You will need your Auth code for the install. Good luck!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:27 AM
  • This driver worked fine for me too on a HP ZD8080EA - just downloaded extracted ran installed rebooted and sounds back!

So thanks to Hasbro for the link

Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:23 AM
  •  Hasbro wrote:

Did you tried downloading this 64 bit audio driver?

Download the driver from here

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=506&DetailName=BetaDriver&DetailDesc=RS480-M(1.0)&MenuID=35&LanID=0

Try the above first but RC1 is out too, that might be helpful if you haven't downloaded/installed it already.  You can get RC1  from the below. You will need your Auth code for the install. Good luck!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

This worked fine for me too on an HP ZD8080EA running RC1 in 64bit - just downloaded, extracted, installed, rebooted and sounds back :-))

Thanks Hasbro

Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:25 AM
  • K, i've upgraded from that XP x64bit *** where i can't get practically any drivers to work.

Installed Vista x64 and had the same Audio Problem. But I tried the F8 Option and it worked. Apparently Vista x64bit version does not allow unsigned drivers. So you'll have to press F8 on startup and choose option: " Disable checking for signed drivers" or something to that effect. Then Install the Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver, it should work fine. The down fall to this is that you'll have to choose that option every time you restart else windows will disable the sound.. :(. but that's ok at least i got sound as the cost of 4 button click at start up.. phewww.. now i could go listen to my music,, :D...

By the way here's where i got mine: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=648316

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:39 PM
  • K, i've upgraded from that XP x64bit *** where i can't get practically any drivers to work.

Installed Vista x64 and had the same Audio Problem. But I tried the F8 Option and it worked. Apparently Vista x64bit version does not allow unsigned drivers. So you'll have to press F8 on startup and choose option: " Disable checking for signed drivers" or something to that effect. Then Install the Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver, it should work fine. The down fall to this is that you'll have to choose that option every time you restart else windows will disable the sound.. :(. but that's ok at least i got sound as the cost of 4 button click at start up.. phewww.. now i could go listen to my music,, :D...

By the way here's where i got mine: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=648316

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:40 PM
  • I have an HP d8210us running 64 bit vista beta2 i also cant get  my ac link audio from conexant to work i even tried to run the program compatablilty wizard ,,,, its obviously an HP or conexant problem cause appearently if it were a driver signing problem it would be widely spread accross multiple companies!!! im sure alot of companies are not digitally signed!!!
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:55 AM
  • i also tried the driver that hasbro linked on his comment,, everything was checkin out fine even got the sound controls and the also the green bar that bounces to the sound (like an EQ display)BUT NO SOUND!!! IM FURIOUS AND SOON TO BE FAST ABOUT TAKING A BASEBALL BAT TO REACH OUT TO MY LAPTOP!
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:12 AM
  • I thought that this was going to work until I tried to install and  got the message "Only Windows x64 is supported in this driver package." Any suggestions? I downloaded the 64 version, I don't understand!!! Someone please help me to get my sound back!!!
    Friday, September 22, 2006 5:39 AM
  • Grump,

Sorry if this is two simple a question but...if you go to "My Computer" and right click, does it actually show the 64-bit in the description under system?

If so, did you do the upgrade or did you do the complete install?  Just trying to let you  know how it worked for me or at least the conditions in which it did. I did the full install with a reformatting of my hard drive then installation.  After that I went to www.ATI.com and installed their beta drivers for my monitor. Don't know if this did any good but it was part of the sequence of events. I made sure I was current with all Vista Updates (before RC1)  and finally, before I downloaded and installed the new audio driver, I uninstalled the device in "Device manager" then did the install. Rebooted and let the music begin.  Prior to this, I did every one of the previous solutions listed in this thread with no luck and this one worked so I assume you are in the same boat but obviously some solutions worked for some of us but not others so I'd hoped this was the final solution.  Did you already install RC1?  I know it is supposed to fixe some Media Center issues.

Aside from that your search continues brother. Good luck!

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:26 AM
  • This has to be the most frustrating thing that I have ever tried to deal with. I took the advice of Hasbro and went through his process, but when I try to download the driver and install this stupid message of only Windows x64, blah, blah, blah. All I want to do is have sound. Can someone help!!
    Friday, September 22, 2006 10:12 PM
  • Im in the Same boat

No sound in Vista RC1

and none of the workaround works

Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:26 AM
  • Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:55 AM
  • Ivan, this absolutely works. Thank you for stopping the needless abuse this pc was about to take. With that said, here is the latest problem. If I restart my computer, I get the blue screen. What i have to do is start it up in safe mode, uninstall the realtek ac'97 driver (without deleting it) restart, load the driver again, and follow your procedure again. Now I'm grateful that I have sound, but there has got to be a way to avoid this long drawn out process. If you have any solutions, let me know. Thanks Again!!!
    Monday, September 25, 2006 2:14 AM
  • Well same happend to me, I have the notebook HP DV8110US.

I've contact a HP representative online and the guy told me that they know about the problem,but they will only post a new driver once the retail version of vista will be available... so I guess i must wait till 2007 to have sounds on my second OS.

Saludos,

Patricio

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:00 PM
  •  

That's incredible Pat....They're going to wait until 2007 to release a driver without any beta testing? That seems pretty hard to believe. I would see if I would talk to someone with the ability to give me a beta version, knowing that it will be unsupported.  Obviously they aren't going to miraculously come up with a solid driver when the final release comes out without testing, without beta?  Might want to rephrase your request.?

Monday, October 02, 2006 8:16 AM
  • Hey! Look at the answer from HP! It's unbelievable........

From the description, I see that you were looking for the Windows Vista
    Sound drivers for your HP Pavilion dv8028ea Notebook.

The drivers for the Windows Vista x64 version are not yet
    released by HP. As the Operating System was developed recently and the
    hardware was designed well before the Windows Vista x64 Operating System
    was developed, HP is testing its new set of x64 compatible drivers for
    the stability in its notebooks.

Once the tests are successful, HP will be releasing the drivers for 64
    bit Operating System. We are sorry for any inconvenience you may
    expereince in this regard.

Monday, October 02, 2006 4:56 PM
  • hi guys

i have an HP Pavilion ZD8000 notebook (8301) with Conexant AC-97 Soundcard.

Now i'm testing Windows Vista RC1, everything works (even Realtek Network controller etc.) except for Conexant Audio and Texas Instruments PCI FlashMedia Controller.

I'm using the 32 bit version of the OS. I've partially resolved these problems using the drivers for Windows XP founded on the HP Drivers DVD shipped together with the notebook (you can find it under Audio subfolder of that DVD). All the things i had to do were to open Pheriperals Management, then to install manually the two drivers for both devices. The only problem i had is a rare click of the audio. For the rest Everything works great. Hope that can be useful for someone. bye.
    Sunday, October 08, 2006 2:40 PM
  • hi all i just got my sound working after doing a upgrade from xp to rc1 my sound is conexant ac-link  and i have a compaq notebook

and here what i did i  install upgrade advisor and then it took me to a web page that have this file i needed (msxml 6.0 core) i install and dialog boxs came up and show me what would not be install and my sound was not on the list but my 64 bit update was and my ati controll panel was i have music playing right now sp go to the vista web site

and download update advisor then that file and your drivers for a clean install  and for upgrades vista will install for you

P.S  I HOPE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND THIS  GOOD LUCK

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:05 PM
  • yea if you got the dv 8000 series and have the AC-LINK use the instructions provided I think in this post ..... restart the CPU press f8 and disable the driver signing then install the ati southbrdge x64a driver and you got sound
    Monday, October 16, 2006 12:32 AM
  • I have the same three isues. I'm running the HP Pavilion DV8000 series. My Mulitmedia Card Reader, PCI Modem, and the Conexant AC-Link Audio are all not working. I've talked with HP support and they have no resolve for the isues at hand as of now Nov 1 2006,
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:50 PM
  • Try pressing F8 at bootup and then choose the option for disabling digital signing. This should allow you install your sound driver. If this works then the only issue is that when you reboot you will need to hit F8 at startup everytime in order to get sound. It's a bit annoying I know, hopefully once Vista ships these companies will ship signed drivers.
    Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:57 PM
  • Hi...I don't know what did I do, but whenever I start my computer now, the windows installer prompts up and always configuring for Fax, somebody told me to install a driver from my computer manufacturer website which is Compaq HQ, but still does not work. What should I do? What is missing?
    Saturday, November 04, 2006 6:24 AM
  • you need to install file mxsxlm 6.0 core and 4.0
    Sunday, November 05, 2006 4:16 PM
  • microsoft.com file msxml 6.0 core 4.0
    Sunday, November 05, 2006 4:18 PM
  • mxslm 6.0 core  4.0
    Sunday, November 05, 2006 4:18 PM
  • I had the same problem on my XP 32 bit machine... I researched and worked on the issue for 3 days straight... It drove me nearly insane... Every time I tried a different driver, I got the same error code 39... I tried flashing my bios, still no good... I came across the solution when I was trying to install my hp scanjet, which I noticed gave me the exact same error. I even went out and bought a PCMCIA sound blaster card and got the same error when installing its driver... So I figured that it must be a problem in the operating system, some sort of driver corruption or maybe even duplicate drivers that are not being shown in the device manager even using the "show hidden devices" option... For all of those with an hp/comaq machine with the conexant sound card issues, please try the following...

Go to this hp site and download the hp diagnostics utility -

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&product=57854&dlc=en&lang=en

Install it an run it...

Click on the "devices" tab in the program...

Click on a device catagory on the left (such as "sound, video and game controllers" for instance) and on the right the devices will be listed... If any devices on the right are listed with a yellow exclamation mark, right click each one (you have to do this one by one) and choose "uninstall" ... Do this for every single device catagory on the left (which will show devices lists on the right) until all devices with the "yellow" mark are uninstalled from your computer... You may be prompted to restart after uninstalling some devices, just say no and contine the procedure... Remember, "uninstall" every single device in your computer with the yellow exclamation mark using this tool... Then reboot your computer... Now any drivers, including your conexant sound card driver should be able to reinstall itself properly on reboot...

Please reply to this post if it helps you...

TJ

Thursday, November 09, 2006 2:41 AM
  • i had the same problem so i ran vista then put the cd dvd of vista in and ran an update installation and i now have sound i had tried every other suggestion but had no luck this worked for me
    Saturday, November 11, 2006 10:24 PM
  • Hi i am having trouble with no sound on my laptop presario model B3800 running Microsoft Vista TM RC 1.
    Has anyone got any more ideas

Monday, November 13, 2006 2:51 AM
  • This worked for me too... just wondering how did you think of this.
    Friday, December 01, 2006 3:16 AM
  • I had same problem with my Toshiba P100-429. Everything was fine when I intalled Windows Vista x64 Build6000 except the conexant high definition audio.

Anyone can solve this problem please help.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 2:20 PM
  • Plz help i have x86 vista rc1 on my laptop, everything worked fine i love it but i have no sound like all you guys (n girls) i have conexant ac link audio i've tried everything if someone can tell me where to get the driver i need plz tell me!!!

Thanks

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:26 AM
  • I have resigned myself for waiting for the final public release of Vista to hopefully have updated drivers for my Gateway with the Conexant AC-Link Audio. I'm tired of trying stop-gap measures with out any success.
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:20 PM
  • Hi

i had the same problem so i reinstalled vista but used the repair option and sound came back

hope this helps

fred

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:44 PM
  • I just tried that, but to no avail.
    Wednesday, January 03, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Ok i found the solution...

Go out and buy the software and everything works fine.

Or download it like a theif ***.

I now have sound n everything working.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:38 AM
  • You are a retard Vista is not released yet so you have not purchased it you thief.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Hopefully this audio driver issue is fixed in the final release. I know when I switched from the x64 OS to the x86 OS the audio driver worked. (It was choopy but still functional)
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 1:52 AM
  • Waste of keystrokes Ansellite.  Hopefully a moderator will remove users who's posts provide no legitimate feedback to those using TechNet productively and appropriately. 

Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:10 AM
  • I have the MSDN Vista DVD (which is the same version as the RTM release) and thought I would try it with my Vista Capable Compaq Presario V5000 64bit Turion.  The only problem was the Conexant audio - the drivers are not on the DVD:(  

Nothing that I have tried has worked.  I had a shufti on the HP website and they are stating that Vista drivers will be available  late January.

Nobby

Saturday, January 20, 2007 11:04 AM

• I have a full, final version of Vista Business installed on my zv6130us.  The Conexant audio drivers that it tried to use were flaky, so I reinstalled them.  Same problem you guys have had.

I guess they never did fix this... but such are the hazards of using a new version of windows.  I guess I'll go without audio for now.
    Friday, February 02, 2007 8:55 PM
  • Finally I found a solution to the Conexant CX20468-31 AC97 audio chipset audio problem.  I recently installed Vista x64 bit on my Compaq Presario v2310us laptop.  Like all of you, I could not find a solution to this audio driver problem.

Finally this driver on the Acer Europe website worked like a charm.  The website, http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_3020_5020.html contains the following link in the Windows XP 64-bit drivers section:

Click on Realtek AC97 Audio Driver 5.10.00.5820 (It says it is not digitally signed, but I clicked ignore and it still works.) 

In addition, I used the TI 7x21 FlashMedia/SD Host controller driver -Win64 2.0.0.0 link to get my card reader functioning.

Thank you HP for no support whatsoever.  I hope this works for you guys.  The headache is now gone...

Monday, February 05, 2007 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

after many hours spent in searching for a sound driver for my HP Pavilion ZD8000, with a Conexant ac-97 chip, i found the solution actually inside the Windows Vista x64.

You should try this:

Goto Addhardware, pick there the Sound.... and then "Let me pick from all drivers", than select View all drivers, and under AMD, there is a AMD AC 97 audio driver.

Install this driver, and your sound should work ok, except for the microphone, which is a known problem with Vista x64.

Anyway, at the end, I installed the x86 Version of Vista. Microsoft and the other companies aren't ready yet, to play with x64 bit. We have to wait like about 6-7 months, and then maybe I'll reinstall the x64bit Version.

Anyway, my HP Laptop is working faster now with the 32 bit version.

Best regards,
    Robert Mileski
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Hello Robert. I have the zd8060us too (8000 series). I have a driver that works for the (64-bit)  Beta version and RC1 version but I assume you're using the new production release that went on sale last week or so. That driver doesn't work in the new release but the  64-bit XP driver from HP does (sp30305), at least on the 8000 series and I suspect most others.  If you decided to run the 64 Bit version this should work.  As to the microphone, you will need to go into the recording devices and slide the volume buttone up as it was defaulted to mute on my PC. Once I did that I was able to use it.

One word of caution, after installing the below driver, you will need to restart your PC, the first thing that will happen is you'll experience a dump upon 1st reboot.  When you get back into windows it will ask you if you want to see if there is a solution (which there isn't) but the audio will work and that should be the end of the memory dump issue.

This has been a real pain I know..I've had the beta and been fighting the driver battle for months.  If your CD/DVD disappears (mine did) there is a solution posted for that as well. Good luck.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=447468&prodNameId=500495&swItem=PSG_I22633-107310&swEnvOid=2002&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=3

Thursday, February 08, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Hey

Here is a solution that worked out for me.

Well initially i got the drivers for the network card (of my system) from Vista ready computer model download center as few models matches my network card manufacturer & once i got connected to internet then i went out to hardware profiles & choose the option for windows to find out drivers for my audio & modem.

To my surprise it works ..... I got all the drivers like wise.....

Just give it a try ....

Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Hey

Here is a solution that worked out for me.

Well initially i got the drivers for the network card (of my system) from Vista ready computer model download center as few models matches my network card manufacturer & once i got connected to internet then i went out to hardware profiles & choose the option for windows to find out drivers for my audio & modem.

To my surprise it works ..... I got all the drivers like wise.....

Just give it a try ....

Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:32 PM
  • I've found an How To and it worked fine here !!!

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=26653

Thanks to the solution finder !
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 10:41 PM
  • I've found how to fix that :

Sunday, February 11, 2007 10:42 PM
  • I've found how to fix that :

Sunday, February 11, 2007 10:42 PM
  • I just recently installed Vista Business on my HP Pavillion zv6000 (AMD Athlon 64 3200+, Conexant AC-link audio, if that helps), and everything seems to be working great except my audio. I get sound, but the quality is terrible; it sounds like a skipping record or something.

I've tried updating my drivers, which claim to be the best available for my hardware, and I've also tried a few of the drivers I've seen on this forum, and nothing seems to be compatible. HP offers no support, nor does conexant, so I have no idea what to try. I don't know a lot about computers, so I get a bit lost reading through these forums. Can anyone help?
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Well, I’ve made up my mind today. Vista was rushed into production and should not be purchased by anyone who doesn’t get it preinstalled on a new computer.  I signed up for the beta test program and went through the painful and ridicules process of trying to work around a number of driver issues.  In the summer of 2006 it was acceptable because the product had not been released and we were helping to make it better and get familiar with it.  Throughout, the first question one is asked to do is to have Microsoft “check” your system to see if it met the requirements ultimately needed to run Vista.  With my 3.4 GHz Intel processor, 1534 MB of memory, Rating a 3.9 on my Graphics etc., I proceeded to turn my computer into a guinea pig.  Now, mind you, this was all voluntary but the expectation was, at the end of the process, the final release was going to be a viable operating system.

After more than 6 months of enduring the beta program, sending information to Microsoft about issues and conflicts, sharing information with folks like you here on this and other tech forums, deciding what was a tolerable pain level to endure for a final payoff, telling friends and acquaintances of the positive aspects of Vista…I’m throwing in the towel.  After all that, I spent the $250 for the production version, not even so much as a piddly 10% discount for participation in the arduous Beta program or even a “thank you” I have found that I have all the same problems as I had in June and have to find all of the solutions on my own.

Vista probably has a great future but I have to tell you…if you haven’t bought it yet, walk away now and wait until you get a computer that has worked out all the bugs and enough hardware is on the market that is compatible because there are a lot, most in fact, printers and other peripheral that will not work properly with Vista and Microsoft has made no apparent effort to communicate a commitment to work the issues we have addressed here for the past 7+ months.

The final straw was, when I loaded the $250 vista production program with no discount for the help (though I can see why they wouldn’t consider our contribution help as they seem to have ignored these issues) My computer started shutting down all by itself. When I got it back on…it said there was a problem with the audio driver…yes, no duh…but I had it working with a work around patch, now, some update caused a major conflict that nearly irreparably crashed my system.  Why? I don’t know…all I know is I can’t have my TV tuner plugged in to my PC anymore without blue screening out.

There are a lot of features I would like to use with this new OS but the support is nonexistent. Even HP, the manufacture of my PC who originally said my PC was compatible with the vista requirements has stated they will not support my machine after seeing how far short of the mark this release is and how much retrofit they would be expected to do to get it up to speed…Hopefully you’ve read this and heed my warning…if your PC IS NOT GUARANTEED TO BE VISTA READY AND THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT SAID THEY WILL SUPPORT IT….DO NOT UPGRADE TO VISTA.  Wait a year or so until they either get the bugs worked out or the press has told us if they have or will work out the bugs for previous units.  I would not be surprised it the decision is made to just make future items compatible and those of us who bought the top of the line PC’s in anticipation are just simply hosed.  I guess XP isn’t that bad, I just like to ride the wave but no support here.  You look at this thread…if you had a problem, you were all over the map finding solutions. That’s ok for the Beta…the production shouldn’t be blue screening your PC OR making you jump through hoops to get a unit THEY say meets the minimum requirements, to work.

This is a sincere post. I’m not ragging on Vista for any reason other than the other posts you see from me here. In every case I tried to give good advice to the computer community, my opinion, and have no agenda. This is simply the way I see it in my objective opinion. This release should not have been made available if it wasn’t going to work broadly with all of the machines it said met the requirements.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:02 AM
  • Hi hasbro,

unforunately, I totally agree with you :(

They have rushed a Operating System. I think that this is common just to Microsoft.

Anyway, I'm using the Vista 32bit Ultimate version now. Clean Install, with all programs supported BY Vista.

I'll point out just two things.

My Recycle bin empties itself, but the icon is still showing Full.

I cannot save the settings of the mouse. Everytime I restart my Computer, and log in, I have to reset the mouse speed. :(

I've seen 3 times till now "Blue Screen".

I have expirienced Internet Explorer crashes almost 2-3 times per day. It just stops when you try to enter a text somewhere (google, or in the address bar)

Anyway, interesting issues, for a brand new (microsoft) Operating System. Is to be expected.

Best regards,

Robert Mileski

Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:57 PM
  •  bizrant wrote:
    I just recently installed Vista Business on my HP Pavillion zv6000 (AMD Athlon 64 3200+, Conexant AC-link audio, if that helps), and everything seems to be working great except my audio. I get sound, but the quality is terrible; it sounds like a skipping record or something.

I've tried updating my drivers, which claim to be the best available for my hardware, and I've also tried a few of the drivers I've seen on this forum, and nothing seems to be compatible. HP offers no support, nor does conexant, so I have no idea what to try. I don't know a lot about computers, so I get a bit lost reading through these forums. Can anyone help?

I  have the same problem and i don`t now i do it???????

Anybody have some solution!!!!

Please HELP me, HELP US!!

Monday, February 19, 2007 6:55 AM
  • lol, I'd hate to be the grandma that buys the upgrade thinking, "this should be easy enough". I don't know if you read the blurbs during the install but I particularly liked the part about Vista fixing itself.

All that being said...Vista does have some good features; I ended up going the 32-bit install even though tech support at HP told me for my machine 64 was honky dory.

After my above comments, which I stand behind whole heartedly, I do have to say, the Office 2007 release was excellent. It's the first version where Outlook is a good email choice (except it doesn't show animated gifs or play sounds). I use it now for email, calendar and contacts where before it was just a junk program thrown in with office.  As far as the other programs, once you get used to the new navigation menus, is a really cool deal. 

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:07 AM
  • Can you tell me one - 1 Feature in Vista (except the GUI) that you like it and that wasn't in XP ??

Another thing, tell me one thing that Outlook 2003 differentiates itself from Outlook 2007 ??? Where have you found anything different ???

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Hi!

There is the solution for conexant ac-link audio under Vista x64: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=26653

I have installed the driver succesfull, but the system always boots up in safe mode. Trying F8 - start windows normally, but no luck, there are still the safe mode words on the corners of desktop. Otherwise everything works fine. Only the words...

How can i fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:03 PM
  • The sidebar is very handy for me, not a huge deal but for example I used to have to double click the time to pull up a calendar frequently to find the date, now it's part of my sidebar. I have a couple other items there that I used to have to open a webpage to get the information which is now just part of my screen.  In addition, I have my disk space, memory, battery wireless info all there too that can be seen at a glance.  The ability to flip through screens is nice, easy for find things when you have multiple copies of a program open, that and the image showing when you highlight the program on the taskbar. XP and XP Media Center are certainly adequate and the above is not motivation to switch over the of the other PC’s (5) I have from XP to Vista.

I don't want to turn this into a Vista commercial as like I said, I don't think I would recommend it yet.  Not that any of the above is Earth-shattering, but like I said, it is “neat”.

As to Office 2007, the best thing I can suggest there is, Microsoft has a 60 day free trial that I would recommend to someone thinking about switching.  To me, in my opinion, this is the first real significant change in Office since Office 97 (which I still use in some machines).  I have, Office 97, 2000 and 2003 on different PC’s and for the most part, the changes in those versions have been hardly perceptible in my applications.  2007 is clearly a different and upgraded version but its menus do take some getting used to. Like I said, I would recommend trying it out and see what you think yourself.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:42 PM
  • I asked you about Vista changes, not the GUI. But ok, anyway, I was using Google Desktop Search, with the Sidebar thing and everything else that you mentioned there, like 1 year ago. All those things were already there, but not from Microsoft. So, its the same. They borrowed the idea, and implemented it from Google.

As for Outlook, I didnt find anything that you have wrote about a difference from Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007, you speak for the whole office packet. And one more thing, exactly in Outlook the menus are the same as before. Every other Office product uses Ribon Menus, except Outlook.

I think that they just changed the number from 2003 to 2007, and recompiled the source code they have.

Btw, you have Thunderbird for Offline Email, and it has a Trial period of your whole life - It's Free.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Same problem in HP DV8113EA. Need a solution NOW!!!
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:15 PM
  • What I said Robert, is that Vista had some “neat features” but that the functionality wasn’t at a point I would recommend someone install it, particularly on an older machine.  You asked for specifics, why? I don’t know.  I admitted that XP was fine but the sidebar and other things I mentioned, whether they are available elsewhere or not, are cool and helpful and “neat” but not a necessity. As I said in my 2/17/07 post above, that alone does not overcome the shortfalls at this point.  I’m not a cheerleader and that was my honest assessment.  While some will think Vista is an OS with some cool bells and whistles, it is also not quite ready for primetime general release. That’s what I said. As to stealing ideas, you can say the Windows concept was borrowed from Apple.  That’s between those two companies. If Microsoft “stole” the sidebar idea from Google, I don’t care, it’s a cool feature for Google to litigate, not me  If Microsoft came across the concept through other means, I don’t think I would appreciate being accused of intellectual theft where it is unfounded..

As to Office 2007, the menus are not the same as ANY previous version I have, but if you have a copy of Office 2003 which is exactly the same as Office 2007 I can see why you like it.  There are a number of email programs one can get for free, Outlook Express being just one of many, since I started using email in 1984, I’ve used many. Never Microsoft Outlook for any length of time.  I’ve never liked the feel or functionality of the program so used Lotus Notes, 3+ Mail, Incredimail, Outlook Express etc over the years.  In 2007, that has change, for me.  As I said, if someone had Office 97, I didn’t think 2000 was so far superior that I would recommend upgrading. Nor Office XP.

Those are personal opinion and I qualified it by saying, “the way I use it”. I don’t set up pivot tables in Excel often and the PowerPoint in Office 97 meets my needs.  After working with Office 2007, through the Beta I like it and think the minor tweaks made it to where good. I do use Outlook now as my email program but I'm not saying I would by office just for that.   My address book in email is the same one I use now to print shipping labels and envelopes etc and I know that functionality existed in previous versions but I didn’t use it because I didn’t like feel of the program. That's a personal thing that some would agree and others not.  

If I read your message correctly, you agree that Vista is a bit short of perfect, as I said on 2/17.  And seem to take exception to the fact that in addition to that, I think there is anything cool about Vista whatsoever.  Sorry, I do. If it were bug free I would be giving it big thumbs up.  I liked Windows XP too even though Windows 98 met my needs at the time. As to Office 2007, it is out there available for anyone who is in the market for an Office package to evaluate for themselves before deciding if they want to get a cheaper down rev version on eBay or want to get the latest greatest.  Up to now, if it were me and I could get a legal copy of Office 97 on eBay for $40 or Office XP for $250 I would go with the Office 97.  Office 2007, even though it still does much of the same as previous versions, including 97…I like it.  But like I said, it’s free to try and I think someone looking at Office should look at it.  I have 5 computers in my house and EACH of them has a LEGAL licensed copy of Office on them. This means I own 5 copies of MS Office of various versions.

Finally, I apologize to those on this distribution who are getting this off topic post. It will be the last one from me not related directly to the topic.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:35 AM
  • I went the same route as everyone else on this mess.  I have a zd7000 from HP and love it.  However couldn't get an audio driver.  What I did to get audio was simple and lucky.  I went to the original  "Driver Recovery CD" that came with my laptop.  I explored the disc and went to Audio.  Loaded that driver and then let Vista do what it wanted, when it wanted.  All of a sudden I have video again.  The HP loader opened and everything, but Vista took control and all I did was accept what Vista said it wanted to do.  When Vista successfully loaded the driver, I closed all the windows that were opened and saw where the HP loader said it failed, but it is loaded now.  Hope this helps and Good Luck
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 7:50 PM
  • I too  have the same problem this time with an HP 8110us.  Same issue, no sound, no device manager entry for sound at all.  HP's drivers don't recognize my Conexant at all.  Half disappointed with HP, really disappointed with Microsoft Vista.  Wonder how I can pull this os out of my system.

Monday, March 12, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Thank you so very much ivan_pk!  Your method worked on my DV8210us under Vista x64!  I have sound without booting on the "fate" key!

I used the driver here: and followed the instructions on unchecking the master mute under the audio device settings.

Thanks & I will spread the word about other forums I search this...

HayMoose

Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I have a similar problem. I have a Compaq Presario R4025US laptop running 32-bit Windows Vista with Driver Detective installed. I used Driver Detective to update my Conexant AC-Link Audio driver to Realtek AC'97. It doesn't work, so when I went to Uninstall Programs from Control Panel to see if I could do anything there, I (stupidly) uninstalled Conexant AC-Audio from the list. Now, I don't have sound NOR can I find my sound device on any hardware list! HELP!
    Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:52 AM
  • OK.Lets get into it.

The file you all seek can be very different depending on who it is from E.G.Gigabyte or Intel etc. and the model of the sound chip (#'s) envolved.After much searching the

Gateway PC(Laptop) Support Drivers are hosting the drivers that driverzone said match

HP Conexant AC-Link Audio - xp OR Vista drivers

Version 6.14.10.0575

They also have Conexant Vista modem driver card reader etc.

Gigabytes version is 5.something they are all different to eachother..

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Gateway pc support

has Vista signed drivers for Gateway/HP Conexant AC-Link Audio

DriverZone says it's the right version 6.14.10.0575

they also have Conexant Modem and other vista drivers too.

Gigabyte/Intel/Sigmatel Conexant AC-Link and others have a differnent driver.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 9:44 PM
  • Check out Gateway pc Support for there Laptop driver downloads.

Conexant AC-Link 6.14.10.0575 Vista

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Just found a site called:

Open Drivers

It has plenty of HP Vista Drivers sorted my model number i know i seen some ofthe ones mentioned in here.

Open drivers says a dv5000 NB with Conexant AC-Link uses Driver 6.14.10.597 - Filename: Sp34567 xp/vista x32

Conexant HD or CXChips have totallt diff. drivers it seems.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Thanks Saska Stover - MSFT! Worked like a charm. I have been trying to fix this for 2 hours and you saved the day!

I just had "unmountable_boot_volume" error yesterday and unfortunately had to ultimately restart and I lost gigs of pictures and music.
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:07 PM
  •  Anoonymously wrote:

Just found a site called:

Open Drivers

It has plenty of HP Vista Drivers sorted my model number i know i seen some ofthe ones mentioned in here.

Open drivers says a dv5000 NB with Conexant AC-Link uses Driver 6.14.10.597 - Filename: Sp34567 xp/vista x32

Conexant HD or CXChips have totallt diff. drivers it seems.

We are looking for 64-bit, but thank you!

JM Conputers

Friday, July 06, 2007 1:25 PM
  • !! iknow it's an old threat !!

But i have the same computer here and i also can't get my conexant ac link audio device working in ms windows vista home basic

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I finally figured it out!!!!! This definately works!!! I've have a Presario v5000 and have had to use the f8 option since I installed this in March... BLAHHH!!! But here's what to do to get around that... It's complicated, so pay attention Smile

First download this softpaq driver installer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-51288-1

You have to run the program so you can extract the installation files... Please note the driver installation from the program WILL fail.

Once you have installed that program and the driver installation has failed, go to the device manager and click on your audio device,

click "update driver",

click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers" select audio devices, click ok,

on the next screen click "Have Disk" then go to the folder that the installation files for the softpaq files are;

the default is C:\swsetup\SP35558 and click the driver file that shows up let it install...

Then your audio should work w/o having to ever press f8 during startup again!!!!

P.S.- Sorry if the directions are a little confusing...

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:08 AM
  • I am very happy to report that I can confirm this works on dv8100 CTO!!  A VERY BIG THANKS!!!  You should post this on projectamd64.com too - a lot of people there will sing your praises I bet... I can't believe I am the first to respond a fix Smile

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Have a fix for the conexant pci soft modem too... same process as the sound card with a restart after process is done.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...Item=ob-51279-1   Enjoy

Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:08 AM
  • THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! It's been the only way to install my audio drivers. I have a Pavilion 8211 and I have to say that it works!!!!!! It's been a little confused to install because I'm Spanish and I mistake the first time reading the instructions in english, but reading it carefully the second time, it works PERFECTLY!!!

Saturday, September 01, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Conexant Ac-Link Audio is a problem in many systems, Try to run te device manager and see if your sound card or hardware are enable; also if you you have more than one player runing at the same time even at starting windows yor systems will find a conflict cause by  another program is using the sound device resources and are running at the same time. good luck....Luis

Monday, September 24, 2007 3:36 AM
  • I had the same problem on a 32 bit HP Notebook. Finally someone booted in safe mode and the driver installed fine and it works.  Realtec AC'97 Audio Driver for XP date 5/18/2005 Version 5.10.0.5850

My guess is safe mode notifies you that the driver that is not digitally signed and you have the option to say yes or no to install it (like XP always did) where regular mode just won't install a driver that is not digitally signed. Again - my guess.

Howerver, I now have a problem with my Bluetooth driver, says it cannot be loaded. I don't know if it's connected to the Audio driver solution or not. 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Hello , I had the same problem with my audio in windows xp 64bit on a Acer, i downloaded this update and  my sound works now , no problem , but the modem will not work , any questions email me.

go to the MS KB KB901105

Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Hardware Configuration:

Gateway MX6428 Notebook (originally bundled with Windows XP SP1, 1GB or 333MHZ ram, Hitachi 5400rpm drive, AMD Turion64, a 64-bit single core 2GHZ CPU)

Upgrades: 2GB of 333MHZ of ram, Hitachi 7200rpm drive

To Robert Mileski to all other interested parties:

Attempted Migration of Host to Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)

Like you I started with a clean machine due in part to a notebook Hitachi IDE 7200rpm cluster failure.  I switched drives to another like drive and low-level formated the bad drive with success with a diagnotic utility from Hitachi.

I loaded as host the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate on my Gateway MX6428 laptop.  The device manager had problems with three devices which I recall to be the Texas Instruments PCIXX21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller (a mass storage device), the AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP, and the Conexant AC-Link Audio device.  I am not sure if the modem and the audio device are some hybrid device from Conexant; Conexant makes some devices that are a two-for-one deal.  Given the missing drivers and even the slowness of the computer, I decided that now is not the time to move to 64-bit Vista.

My Direction - Load Microsoft Vista Ultimate (32-bit) as Virtual Machine under VMware

• I reloaded Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1 (32-bit), then SP2 as Host
    • I loaded Microsoft Vista Ultimate (32-bit) as Virtual Machine using VMWare Workstation (under 200 dollars).  I chose this over Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 because the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 does not have USB support to virtual machines.  I would like to have had Vista as host and XP as a virtual machine since Microsoft allows the additional loading of another copy of Vista as a virtual machine with no additional license.
    • The ONLY device failing under Microsoft Vista Ultimate as a VM was the Conexant AC-Link Audio device.  I have tried a Vista driver provided for another Gateway notebook (Model CX2620) without success.
    • I loaded Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 and Windows Server 2003 as well primarily for access for a database server I can use only when I need to.

Actions Moving Forward

• I will try a suggestion on one of the thread that pointed to a Vista generic AMD driver for audio.  Maybe that will work.
    • There was also a mention of a RealTek driver I think.  I am not sure if that was for 64-bit systems only.

My solution is going down the 32-bit Vista VM path versus the Vista host path.  Any insight into my current direction would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

James Sigler

jmsigler2@hotmail.com

Sunday, December 16, 2007 Update / Solution

Analysis

• I booted into Vista using the F8 option.  I chose the boot option that disables the mandatory signed driver requirement for all Vista drivers.
    • I downloaded the driver installation information from that I received from Gateway available to download on its website.

Audio Driver version [6.14.10.575].02142006

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20489&uid=179055103

D00377-002-001.exe is a self-extracting file containing all files for the driver installation.

• I executed D00377-002-001.exe which self extracts the following files to "c:\cabs\D00377-002-001\".  I then ran Setup.exe to install the driver.  I will note the location each file was mapped or copied when appropriate.

1.) ari2041a.cat (driver catalog file) --> C:\windows\inf\CATALOG\

2.) ari2041a.inf (driver information file) --> C:\windows\inf\

3.) camc6aud.sys (driver file) --> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

4.) camc6hal.sys (driver file) --> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

5.) caudinst.dll (driver file) --> C:\Windows\System32\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

6.) HXFSetup.exe --> and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb"

7.) readme.txt (text file for overview and installation)

8.) Setup.exe (setup application for installation of driver)

9.) storme-eq.ini (configuration file)

• I discovered that Vista has an INF folder for what appears to be the same driver information but I did not use this as part of my installation process.  This Vista folder is located at C:\Windows\ and also located in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\qta0610a.inf_289f2efb".  I happend upon it when searching for the file caudinst.dll.  The search found two files, one from the Gateway install from the self-extracting file and the other built into Vista at the following folder I just provided you.  This folder has a different INF file named QTA0610A.inf.  This file contains the following extract:

[Extract from QTA0610A.inf]

;qta0610a.inf
    ;
    ; Copyright (C) 1999, 2005, Conexant Systems, Inc.
    ; INF file to install a WDM driver for AC97 Audio devices

[/Extract from QTA0610A.inf]

This extract appears to validate that this folder in Vista is what we are all looking for.  The driver signature here still shows as Signature="$CHICAGO$".  I am unclear if this is a problem or if this just means the drivers is backward compatible to the Windows 98 operating system.  However, I point out that I see no drivers with a VXD extension let alone a driver with a DRV extension which is NT specific.  The files in the Vista FileRepository have the most current file dates, so I am going to update my successful audio driver installation with these files and remove those ones from Gateway and see what happens.  In any case, below are the actions I used to get audio successfully working.

Actions to Successfully Finding a Solution

• I tried to run the Gateway Setup.exe application a couple of times.  Each time I tried the GUI announced it was a failure.  But, after that I decided to go to the Device Manager where the Sound section was showing a Multimedia Audio device as unknown and not installed.  I tried to update the driver manually by mapping to the directory or folder of the self extracted files.  In the past, I had tried to even let Microsoft check the web for the driver without success.
    • I suddenly had a idea.  Could I reclass the driver in the INF file, ari2041a.inf,  from being marked as a Chicago driver to that of an NT driver?  In other words, I replaced the line in the Version section from "Signature="$CHICAGO$"" to "Signature="$Windows NT$"".  I again tried to update the unknown Multimedia Audio driver within Device manager allowing Microsoft to search for the driver.  I suddenly had success.  I could not believe.  I am not positive my change did the trick here, but a driver loaded and I now have sound.  How about that!  You might try switching the signature back in the INF file and see if everything still works.

Below, is the information that loaded to give me audio within Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

Device Manager reports:

Sound, video and game controllers

1.) Creative AudioPCI(ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)

Provider: Creative Technology Ltd., Date: 6/18/2002, Version: 5.2.3633.0, Signer: microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

2.) Unsupported Game Port for Creative

Publisher: Microsoft, Date: 4/11/2006, Version: 1.0.0.0, Signer: Microsoft Windows

The model number for the Conexant AC-Link Audio within my Gateway MX6428 is CX20468-31.  This information can be found in the Gateway User Guide titled "Gateway 6400 Series Notebook Specifications". (http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8510734.pdf)

If my path to a solution works for you, great.  If not, I would also try the INF folder in the new Vista File Repository on the path I mentioned above.  Last, we now know this driver's origin comes from Creative Technology.  We can also assume that the "ca" in the beginning of the driver files stands for CreativeAudio.

I hope you find this path as your solution.  If not, it should be of some help.

Sincerely,

James Sigler

jmsigler2@hotmail.com

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:33 PM
  • i have a compaq c716tu notebook . I have changed the OS from windows vista to XP . I am  looking for the audio & video drivers .i request some help from Microsoft.

Monday, January 07, 2008 9:00 AM
  • I have vista on hp dv6327 installed latest  updates lost sound used restore and insalled updates 2 at a time did not insall conexant update works fine

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:32 AM
  • David:

I have already written some later replies to this thread.  But, I thought I would comment back to your situation.  I also have the AMD Turion64 and Conexant AC-Link Audio.  I my case, I have a Gateway laptop.  I found that the downloadable drivers do not match the drivers I received on my original installation disk; however, they did more closely reflect the names of the drivers found on Vista installation.  That is one issue.  On the other hand, I think there is something wrong with the Vista installation script in locating the INF file and AC-Link Audio driver for the computer.  The INF file is on the computer.  If you look at my other replies to this thread you will read and see where the INF file is located.  Without looking back at my previous comments, Vista moves to using a file repository.  On installation, Vista fails to locate or recognize the right INF file or driver, but it is there.  I found that the driver files on Vista match closely to the driver files I received on my original Gateway installation disk.  It is possible the updated files Gateway listed for download are not appropriate for the Gateway MX6428.  I know you are way beyond this issue now.  But, this comment may help someone else.

James

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:07 PM
  • I don't know how much Vista is like XP...but... for XP,  in order to get the audio to work, you have to install a mixer divice, which wont install until you download an audio driver. So, try downloading the correct audio driver, then install your mixer divice, and then see if you can get your audio to install and work properly....  let me know if it works

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Just got through reading through most of the posts here, and didn't realize how off my answer was for Vista!!! Didn't know anything about Vista till now...and am excited about trying to find files to backtrack through, just to see if I can find some way to change or adjust things to make some of my ideas work. (no sound) 

Been at this pc for way too long with this! (second night) 

Anyway, I'm just gonna play around with different settings and things till I either get it or get off on something else..

If anyone has some advice, I really could use some... Smile 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have been trying to solve this issue for weeks. I can finally stop pulling my hair out.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:20 AM
  • I found this driver on HP site that works fine with vista 64 on my Compaq v2575us with the conextant ac97.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35558.exe

Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:25 AM
  • Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:38 PM