none
Time sync doesn't work with time.windows.com

Question

• In Windows 7 when I go into Internet Time Settings and try to sync against  time.windows.com I get the following error:

An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com.  This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Anyone else seeing this?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 4:00 AM

Answers

• This issue occurs if the network communication is blocked. I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. Then check the result.

If the issue persists, please let us know if you connect to Internet via a proxy, and if the issue occurred right after you installed the system.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi

I had the same problem.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. Just take another server.

regards
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:45 AM
  • This issue occurs if the network communication is blocked. I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. Then check the result.

If the issue persists, please let us know if you connect to Internet via a proxy, and if the issue occurred right after you installed the system.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:21 AM
  • Has this problem been resolved???

I've had it in XP and Vista.
    I've disabled my Antivirus Program and the windows fire wall.
    I've tried other servers. All with no luck

The clock on my PC is incorrect by 30 +/- seconds.

When I sync it manually with "Atomic Clock Sync" it then agrees with the time on the NIST web site.

My 2000, G4 Mac running OSX10.4 has no problem setting it's clock from the internet!

My 2007 I-7 Wintel can not do it!

Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I am getting this issue of time udation issue all of sudden for atleast a week.

is there any problem is time.windows.com server , i tried to ping it and here is what i get :

Pinging time.microsoft.akadns.net [137.170.185.211] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 137.170.185.211:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I think there seems to be problem in connectivity here all of sudden its not working.

please let me know if its safe to use another non windows server for time updation.

Referred  Solution:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?225605-RESOLVED-time.windows.com-not-working

Monday, August 25, 2014 11:13 AM