none
Vista Windows Update Fails. BITS Services completely missing.

Question

• Hello,

Trying to help a friend who has a Vista system where Widows Update is not working.  It simply fails to install *any* of the 30+ important updates, individually or in groups.  The general error given is 80246008.  Its MS solution directs me to restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).  When I check Services, it is not even listed.   

However, If I use the Microsoft download site, I can manually install a WU-failed update with success using the Windows Standalone installer.

I also tried the Windows Fix It Diagnostic Tool and it fails with the message “Windows Update components must be repaired.”  I have searched for a solution on this website, but the symptoms are not the same:  No one seems to be completely missing their BITS Services from the Administrative Services window.   I have a fair amount of expertise with Windows, but obviously not this one.

System is using Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, 64-bit.  Sony VAIO PCG-3L.  Belongs to my neighbor.  After running free/online versions of Malwarebytes, ESET, SpyHunter, and Microsoft Security Essentials, I cleared several viruses. 

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials, but it cannot receive updates, probably for the same reason.  This problem was observed before and after the virus cleanings, so the vendor scanners don’t appear to be a factor here, but obviously the viruses damaged the system.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  Thanks!

• Edited by Sunspirit Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:43 PM
    Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:33 PM

Answers

•  
    Try merging BITS_Vista_32.reg. That should put it back in services.

--
    --
    "Sunspirit" wrote in message news:7eb2dbd9-8bee-416b-87b7-a56d42388a10...

Hello,

Trying to help a friend who has a Vista system where Widows Update is not working.  It simply fails to install *any* of the 30+ important updates, individually or in groups.  The general error given is 80246008.  Its MS solution directs me to restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).  When I check Services, it is not even listed.   

However, If I use the Microsoft download site, I can manually install a WU-failed update with success using the Windows Standalone installer.

I also tried the Windows Fix It Diagnostic Tool and it fails with the message “Windows Update components must be repaired.”  I have searched for a solution on this website, but the symptoms are not the same:  No one seems to be completely missing their BITS Services from the Administrative Services window.   I have a fair amount of expertise with Windows, but obviously not this one.

System is using Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, 64-bit.  Sony VAIO PCG-3L.  Belongs to my neighbor.  After running free/online versions of Malwarebytes, ESET, SpyHunter, and Microsoft Security Essentials, I cleared several viruses. 

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials, but it cannot receive updates, probably for the same reason.  This problem was observed before and after the virus cleanings, so the vendor scanners don’t appear to be a factor here, but obviously the viruses damaged the system.

David Candy
    • Marked as answer by Sunspirit Friday, December 28, 2012 12:15 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

•  
    Try merging BITS_Vista_32.reg. That should put it back in services.

--
    --
    "Sunspirit" wrote in message news:7eb2dbd9-8bee-416b-87b7-a56d42388a10...

Hello,

David Candy
    • Marked as answer by Sunspirit Friday, December 28, 2012 12:15 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:08 PM
  • David,

It worked!  THANK YOU!

BITS is now back in the Services list, and Windows Update is working.

I have not performed a 32->64-bit Merge operation before.  I see that it adds to the Registry.   Do you know how/why it works?

THANKS again for your help!

Best wishes,

Joe

Joseph L. Hughey

Friday, December 28, 2012 12:15 AM
  • As far as I know the 32 bit Windows entries are exactly the same as the 64 bit Windows entries. But as I can't check I make no claim of that. It is also easy to undo if it didn't help.

The file put it's entries back in the Services key.

From Win 2000 Resource Kit Reference - Technical Reference to the Registry

Services

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\

Description

The Services subkeys contain entries for standard and optional Windows 2000 services, such as device drivers, file system drivers, and Win32 service drivers. Although the values of the entries differ for each service, most Services subkeys have the same subkeys and entries.

Each Services subkey bears the name of the service that uses it. Often, this is also the name of the file from which the service is loaded.

Some of the services and devices represented by subkeys in the Services subkey are installed on the computer, but some of the subkeys represent services that are not installed or not enabled. To determine which services are installed on the computer, click Services in Computer Management. To determine which devices are installed on the computer, use Device Manager.

--
    --
    "Sunspirit" wrote in message news:aefe0089-8784-428b-ae43-dfc4e1d7f37c...

David,

It worked!  THANK YOU!

BITS is now back in the Services list, and Windows Update is working.

I have not performed a 32->64-bit Merge operation before.  I see that it adds to the Registry.   Do you know how/why it works?

THANKS again for your help!

Best wishes,

Joe

Joseph L. Hughey

David Candy
    Friday, December 28, 2012 12:27 AM