none
Networking Issues with Windows 7 & XP machines

General discussion

• I'm in the process of trying to setup a small office network and I've run into a snag.

Our office has several Windows 7 and Windows XP machines that are all hard wired into a switch along with internet access.

I've gotten to the point where I can see all of the PC's on the network from each terminal. Now the issue I'm having is the test shared folder I have setup on one of the PC's won't allow me to access it from other PC's on the network. I have gone through and changed all the setting that I can think of to allow them to gain access to the folder. All of the PC's can "see" the folder, but I keep getting the error message:

"You do not have permission to access \\PC-Name\testFolder. Contact your network administrator to request access."

My Advanced Sharing Settings are currently set as:

ON - Network discovery, File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, File sharing connections (128-bit), HomeGroup connections

OFF - Password protection sharing

All of the PC's on the network are set to "Home Network" and are all part of the same workgroup.

So just to wrap up, my small office network is up, but access to shared folders is an issue and I can't seem to find the proper permissions settings to allow me to gain access to them from other PC's on the network.

Thanks for any help / advise that you can offer.

Monday, January 21, 2013 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the test folder on the Windows 7 machine or Windows XP machine?

Create a folder on another machine and disable the Windows firewall and third-party firewalls for a check.

Also try to take the Ownership of the folders if you are already listed as an Administrator.

Check out this article to change the permissions for the folders you are not able to open:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/How-do-I-open-a-file-if-I-get-an-access-denied-message

Additional information: Share files with someone

Hope this information is helpful.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:40 AM
  • The test folder in question was setup on a Windows 7 PC, I was unsuccessful in gaining access from both Windows XP & 7 PC's.

I tried setting up a test folder on an Windows XP machine and I was again unsuccessful in gaining access to it from multiple PC's.

After doing some more extensive reading I believe I'm running into a separate issue than I initial thought. I followed some forum links and other posts and was able to gain access to my test folders from multiple PC's by setting permissions to "everyone". The problem I have now is that, to my understanding, this will allow anyone who can access our network to gain entry to our shared folders. This is not the condition that I am looking to establish. I would like to be able to set specific PC's to have access to certain folders.

I am aware that you can set the users in the permissions list, but I am having an issue where other PC's on the network are not being recognized by this permissions list. It would seem that the permissions list only recognizes users that are on that physical PC, not all PC's on the network. I was hoping that someone might be able to clarify if this condition is correct, or if I am again misunderstanding the issue at hand.

Thanks again for the continued support.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Yes that is working as intended what you need to do is create the same user on both the client and server PC, the user will need the same password or you could map the drive and select connect with user other credentials and add the server user in there.

Gareth | IT Support Wymondham

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:16 PM
  • I have a home network set up with win 7 and xp machines.

I share files from the win 7 machine.  on the win  7 machine i have a user password setup to log into windows.   I didn't change any permissions at all...   just right clicked shared the folder and when one of the xp machines try to access the shared folder.  They put in the user name and password that is used to log on to the win 7 machine that is sharing the files.

you can also make sure the password is setup by going to network sharing center,   then advanced options.    the scroll down to the bottom where it says password protected sharing.  ensure its checked on which it should be by default.

FYI, don't choose homegroup and sharing options that is only for use with other win 7 machines.  make sure that is off.   I'm sure you've already selected your normal homegroup by typing it in the system properties under the computer name window.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:32 AM
  • I've been meaning to get back to this subject, we've been in the process of moving to a new office for the past few months. Now that I have some more time to devote to it I'd like to rectify this network issue, in total.

So my current situation still stands that I am able to access all of the PCs on the network, as long as I set the permissions to "Everyone". I have had success with the Windows 7 PCs where they are able to access each other through the UserName/Password condition discussed earlier in this thread. I am still having a problem where Windows XP PCs can see the other PCs on the network, but they cannot access their shared folders, they are not prompted for the UserName/Password like the Windows 7 PCs are, and the Windows 7 PCs can see the XP PCs, but they cannot gain access to the shared folder on them.

RichAC mentioned that they had a similar condition setup at home. Can anyone expand or point me in the direction of some more resources. I've tried a few different things, but at this point I'm trying to consolidate all of the information to this thread and keep it as my resource guide.

Any advice/direction is much appreciated.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:22 PM