none
Windows 7 Photo Viewer wont print pictures

Question

• Ive installed most current drivers for my printer. Word docs print out just fine. Im able to print pictures out with MSPaint and Photoshop. But for some reason I cant not print a single picture with Photo Viewer. It will go through the normal process if it were to print. The printer even feeds in the paper and the printer head moves back and forth but not one drop of ink is put on the paper. 
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried printing other types of pictures? It seems that Windows Photo Viewer is blocked or corrupted. I recommend you to perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start menu and click Control Panel.
    2. Click the Display and click Adjust resolution.
    3. Click Advanced settings and Color Management.
    4. Click Devices and select your printer.
    5. Check "Use my settings for this device" and click OK.

Then launch Windows Photo Viewer to print again to see if it works.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:17 AM
  • I tried exactly as you explained but to no avail. Photo Viewer just wont print anything out. Every time a black sheet comes out.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Make sure that you do select the printer, paper size, print quality, print style, and number of copies in the Print Pictures dialog box. BTW, try to install printer inside of Windows Photo Viewer, please refer to the following steps:

1) Right click the picture and click Print.
    2) Under Printer box, select Install printer.
    3) Follow the wizard to install the local printer.
    4) Select the printer, paper size, print quality, print style, and number of copies and click Print.

How does it work?

For references:

Print a picture in Windows Photo Viewer

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:37 AM
  • =( yet another failed attempt. Ive reinstalled the drivers multiple times trying the ones off the canons site and letting windows install the drivers automatically. fyi Im using a canon MP160 printer. Am I the only one thats been having this problem?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Since the issue only occurs with Windows Photo Viewer, I recommend you to perform a Startup Repair to automatically fix the file.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:26 AM
  • I too am having this problem.
    No matter the picture file type it will not print to the Kyocera C4035E Colour Copier.
    Had to use Word with picture in it.

Did the Startup Repair work for you?
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Any progress on this issue? I'm having the same problem, only my printer starts pulling the paper in then freezes, with the status lights flickering like crazy.

This is Windows 7 64 bit and a HP 970Cxi printer.

Printing the same photo from a Word doc is just fine.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Hello, I am also having this problem.

My printer works using any application such as paint or word but will not print using Windows Photo Viewer.        

I am using a Windows 7 64bit and Printer HP Photosmart C4600

If there is a fix for the Photo Viewer Could you let me know.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I found this solution a while back... sorry... forgot to post it back here for you guys.

I believe it is a problem with the "photowiz.dll" file in system32. 

It is version 6.x.xxxx.xxxx. 

I found an older version of this file, had to change the attributes and permissions of the file to allow it to be changed. 

I renamed it with an "dlx" extension and then copied a version 5.1 photowiz.dll to system32 and the print wizard works again! The site I got the file from is:   

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/P/photowiz.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

This works for me. Brings up a wizard which allows me to print similiar sizes of photos. No crashes.

• Proposed as answer by matambanadzo Friday, August 13, 2010 1:19 AM
    Monday, August 09, 2010 2:33 AM
  • This might work but how do i rename the file photowiz.dll?

When i try and change permissions in its proporties it says you must have permission from the trustedinstaller whome is microsoft.

How did you manage to modify this file?

Monday, August 09, 2010 12:00 PM
  • I had to change the owner of the file.
    Right-click file..... Properties..... Security tab...... Advanced...... Owner tab..... change owner to yourself.
    Then give yourself full control of the file under the Security tab.

I didn't rename the file, I just overwrote it with the one I downloaded from the link.
    • Proposed as answer by matambanadzo Friday, August 13, 2010 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:06 AM
  • I have done as you said and it works great :)

The only thing i dislike is that its now a wizard rather than just a single window with all the stuff on it. meh you cant win at everything lol

Thanks very much you rock! XD

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:25 PM
  • No worries. Glad I could help.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:19 AM
  • all of your information is useless--moreover, you didn't respond to the last problem and there's no instructions on finding the startup repair on your computer--do you job well or quit.  PATHETIC!!!!!!!

BTW -- my pics don't print through your crappy software.  

Saturday, December 25, 2010 12:00 AM
  • I got my pictures to print using apple's quicktime photo viewer--I'll make sure to buy mac's from now on.  I was already going to get an iPhone.  YOU LOSE!

BTW -- My Zune broke down too--you totally suck!

• Proposed as answer by wbadreels Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:16 PM
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 12:27 AM
  • just wanted to point out that quicktime still works and the windows picture viewer still doesn't work.  too bad you were working on christmas eve and decided not to respond even though I pointed out that you did not complete the thread and give a solution to every problem mentioned.  as before, do you job right or don't do it all.  i'll be getting a mac soon.
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 1:42 PM
  • this worked for me. It seems Photo Viewer uses a different printing dialog than Quicktime, which uses the old fashioned dialog like in XP.

I am not able to get Photo Viewer to print to my network printer, even though Wordpad & Quicktime have no problem.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Hi Guys at Microsoft... Just to let you know that we also got this problem after we upgraded all XP to Windows 7.

We have a Network printer Konica-Minolta C250 color printer. The Authentication for this Printer is enabled. From Windows 7 Printer driver, the Authentication was set in Printer Preferences. The Authentication works fine because DOC, XLS, PPT files and all other files are printing properly but not with Photoviewer.

Now what I noticed is that if you Print from PhotoViewer and click on "Options" and click on "Printer Properties" the authentication PIN is not there anymore. As if the Photoviewer is creating a new printer properties. Why does Photo Viewer doing this?????

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:28 AM
  • It's too bad we can't get a fix to this..

Only Windows Photo Viewer prints pure black on my print outs.

I have to use other programs to print my photos..

All other programs work fine.

Waste of toner .. HP 2600n

Has latest drivers..

If it was the printer drivers it would do the same issue in all programs..

Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Okay, now it's April 24, 2012, and STILL NO ANSWER!!

Hello, Microsoft Forum Moderator and Microsoft Technical Support Experts, where are you?

We have the same problem as several people above: we open a .JPG file in Windows7 Photo Viewer, and the picture opens fine and is displayed on the screen. Choose Print at the top of screen, choose print again on the drop down menu.  New window opens with all the default choices for printing. Choose the button "Print" and NOTHING HAPPENS.  The software just sits there.

Please don't provide some type of wacky answer like downloading an older version of some .dll

Please give an answer WITH INSTRUCTIONS.  Most of us are new to Windows7.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Rebecca: I suggest that you repost at the Windows 7 Pictures and Video forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

I have almost similar problem but this applies for the one profile user only. I can able to pritn using any applications to print picture's. The PC is using windows XP OS. When tried to print using Microsoft Picture Manager and also by inserting picture into Microsoft Word it doesn't print picture's. It can print text but not picture's. It can print picture's using Photo Viewer.

Please help. My email address is patrick.jb@alice-smith.edu.my.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:06 AM
  • I recently had this issue with Windows 7 x64 and an HP Color Laser CP2025n. The fix is to select Print in Windows Photo Viewer, then choose Options at the lower right, just above the Cancel button. Then choose Printer Properties ... turn on color printing in your driver there like you normally would. This is apparently a separate setting from the global settings under Devices & Printers.
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:35 AM
  • I have almost similar problem but this applies for the one profile user only. I can able to pritn using any applications to print picture's. The PC is using windows XP OS. When tried to print using Microsoft Picture Manager and also by inserting picture into Microsoft Word it doesn't print picture's. It can print text but not picture's. It can print picture's using Photo Viewer.

Patrick: since this forum is for Windows 7, I suggest that you repost in the XP Pictures and Video forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-pictures

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, May 25, 2012 4:03 PM
  • This worked for me thanks a bunch!
    Monday, August 20, 2012 1:18 PM
  • I found this solution a while back... sorry... forgot to post it back here for you guys.

I believe it is a problem with the "photowiz.dll" file in system32. 

It is version 6.x.xxxx.xxxx. 

I found an older version of this file, had to change the attributes and permissions of the file to allow it to be changed. 

I renamed it with an "dlx" extension and then copied a version 5.1 photowiz.dll to system32 and the print wizard works again! The site I got the file from is:   

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/P/photowiz.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html

This works for me. Brings up a wizard which allows me to print similiar sizes of photos. No crashes.

This worked for me!  This is a bonafied Windows 7 bug!  Thank you matambanadzo!  I am concerned that the XP version will cause compatibility problems at some point in the future so I am not ready to make this change to all the workstations I manage.  It is also possible that Windows 7's system file checker could restore the original file and cause the problem again.  I am going to escalate it to Microsoft and see what they propose as a solution.  If they are any help I will post it back here.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:01 PM
  • I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I encountered this while trying to research this issue, and after hours of struggling I finally figured it out. This may or may not be a solution for everyone.

Essentially what I discovered is that Windows Photo Viewer was using a separate Printing Preferences page from the one you would encounter from Devices and Printers. In my case, my user had added his Valid Access Code for our Ricoh multifunction into his Printing Preferences via Devices and Printers. When I was in Windows Photo Viewer and clicked Print -> Options -> Printer Properties, his Valid Access Code and other preferences were not there.

I was unable to replicate this on my own computer, however. I did find out from a co-worker that this user was having other printing issues awhile back where his local print driver repository was corrupted and rebuilt. C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers also contains color profiles and a few other items, but I am wondering if this other issue resulted in this discrepancy. While this isn't an entire fix as I am unable to explain 100% why the preferences are stored separately for Windows Photo Viewer and everything else, it may be something else for another person having this issue to look at.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Just wanted to say that I found this solution today and was finally able to sort out my similar problem. I had recently used the photo viewer to print on A3 and had forgotten to change it back. Every time I have tried to use Photo viewer since then it has tried to print as A3 on A4 paper, although I had no problems printing from other programs. Photo viewer was obviously confused! Changing the printer properties in Photo viewer from custom back to general everyday printing solved the problem.
    Monday, July 15, 2013 11:40 AM
  • Hey,

If none of these other solutions work for you guys it may be a corrupted user profile.

The following resolution took care of the problem for me:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Thanks Dale. Worked just fine for me......
    Monday, March 17, 2014 6:13 AM
  • I have had the same problem for quite a while with a HP CP1215. I found this solution in relation to a Firefox issue so I tried it and now everything works just fine.  You need to go into Devices and Printers, right click on the printer, Printer Properties, Advanced tab, Print Processor, and changed it from ZIMFPRINT to HP Color Laserjet (or your printer). It works now.  Pretty simple fix. Too bad the the Windows people couldn't have suggested it.
    • Edited by MiPaIr Saturday, May 03, 2014 8:21 PM
    Saturday, May 03, 2014 8:17 PM