Vista is stuck on the "configuring updates" screen...

Question

• Purchased a new computer, with Vista, and after setting up the router, and downloading the updates I have been completely unable to use my notebook (a Toshiba Satellite). I have left it running for 4 and a half hours with no change. I can not boot passed this "Configuring Updates" screen,... quite ridiculous. I am really hoping there is something I can do with out having to reload Vista on the notebook as I'll have to re-install all the software I previously did. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN! And can I expect the same thing to happen even after I re-install Vista, so is it advisible to not allow for windows updates to avoid this problem???
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hi danthrax,

I'd like to suggest you boot from installation DVD and selecting repair diagnosed "A patch is preventing the system from starting" and allowed a system restore. Then check whether you can log into the system.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:02 AM

All replies

•  

Doing the same thing for me this morning.  I found it stuck on "Shutting Down", don't know how long it had been there, so I restarted it.  Now getting the "Configuring Updates", it finished once, but the computer was unusable because it would pause every 3-4 seconds.  Task Manager shows core 1 jumping from 0 to 60% in a consistent interval, core 2 through 4 sit idle.

Rebooted again, sitting at "Configuring Updates" again.  It will most likely finish in about 10 minutes, but it looks like it's doing the freezing every couple of seconds still. (The spinning circle near "configuring updates" hangs every few seconds)

Proc: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5Ghz @ 37^C

RAM: 2GB DDR2 RAM in Dual channel mode

Video: ATI X1950 Pro 512MB

HD: WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM

This machine should not have any problems running anything Vista could throw at it.  My laptop is having no such problems.  It's running Vista Ultimate also. (Core 2, 2GB RAM)

• Proposed as answer by Iris the Cat Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Friday, August 13, 2010 6:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by alainchecroune Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:54 PM
  • I am having the same problem and I think its nothing to do with computer specs:

Proc: Intel Core 2 Quad

RAM: 4GB DDR2 RAM
    Video: 256MB

I installed the updates this morning and attempted to restart the computer. This afternoon I came home to find it still "Configuring Updates/Shutting down". The only way to restart was by pulling out the plug. After restarting its come up with configuring updates again. After around 10min I got to the user login screen. Then switched user and the Coniguring Updates/Shutting down screen appears again.

It appears this update is screwed. Anyone know how to fix this? If there is a microsoft article about this?
    • Proposed as answer by Iris the Cat Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Here is how I got around it:

Used the reset button to restart.

Prompted me about not being shutdown properly. (if it didn't I would just use F8)

Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Changed directory to just c:\windows

Ran a rename of this directory: c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution to c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

(ren c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old)

Rebooted.

Logged in just fine.  Then went to the control panel and I have been installing updates manually.  Most are optional.  I have a lot of NVIDIA updates for my MB (ASUS P5N-E).  Any correlation for you guys?

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  DJ123 wrote:
    I am having the same problem and I think its nothing to do with computer specs:

Proc: Intel Core 2 Quad

RAM: 4GB DDR2 RAM
    Video: 256MB

I installed the updates this morning and attempted to restart the computer. This afternoon I came home to find it still "Configuring Updates/Shutting down". The only way to restart was by pulling out the plug. After restarting its come up with configuring updates again. After around 10min I got to the user login screen. Then switched user and the Coniguring Updates/Shutting down screen appears again.

It appears this update is screwed. Anyone know how to fix this? If there is a microsoft article about this?

After waiting a couple of hours when Vista was saying "Shutting down", I restarted the machine and all was well except one of the recommended updates failed installation. I'm gona wait a bit before installing that one. Othwerise things seem to be ok.

Here are some other potential solutions if people need them and may find useful, though I didn't need them.

http://www.go4vista.net/2007/11/16/windows-vista-randomly-shutting-down-to-configure-updates/
    http://www.tutorials-win.com/Vista/Vista-continually-291118/ (mentioned above)

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Hi danthrax,

Did you try the solutions provided by DJ123 and
    Chunderlove?

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:10 AM
  •  

My pc is doing the same, I never had such problems until Vista came out. This is getting very old. I shouldn't have to have a programming degree to use my pc. I hope they post a solution to this problem soon. Luckily I dual boot since I have alot of problems gaming in Vista. I am about ready to unistall it and continue using XP Pro.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 11:32 AM
  •  

I KILLED MINE...

I wished I would have known that forcing a hard shut-down (by holding the power button) while "Configuring Updates" can 'corrupt the OS'-  I had done this before while configuring updates and had no problems turning it on the second time...

but on the 9th, I had to install 7 updates... I shut it down and went to class (the screen said "Currently installing update 1 of 7... Do not power down or unplug the system" that whole bit) I came back 6 hours later, and my PC was off, no problem, the update installed and all that jazz...

Booted up and it was stuck on "Configuring Updates" I left it for about 10 minutes then forced it to turn off...(yes, I'm a little impatient, but I still had no idea it would take that long, and I figured it wouldn't be a problem since I'd shut down like that before) Well when I turned it on again, I got the Toshiba logo screen, and then I got a black screen with the DOS input cursor in the top-left corner (_) and that's all

Yesterday I took my PC to Best Buy and they told me my OS was corrupted because I shut it down while configuring updates and I will have to re-install Vista... I don't have any choice...

I'm not looking for any advice by posting this, I'm just suggesting Microsoft changes the "Configuring Updates" screen to match the "Installing Updates" screen and have it say "Configuring Updates... Do not power down or unplug the system" (at least that way, we may think to ask someone BEFORE powering down the system)

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:33 PM
  • I'm having this problem too. I have not tried these solutions yet, but I sure will when I run back to the computer in the other room. From the dates of these problems I have been having and other users. Seems like microsoft hosed an update that is CAUSING alot problems. After Installing the updates my computer became stuck in a loop at Configuring updates. After enough force shutdowns I got the choice to boot into last known working config. Now I'm back in Vista, now every 3 secs for every 5 secs, or something like that, everything pauses and speeds up. Mouse doesn't move then it does after the pause. Music does the same thing plays music, then pauses. While all this is going on my CPU performance jumps from 2% to about 50% constantly.

Please I hope it was somewhat my fault. Instead of bad update which seems the most probable which users experiancing the same problems as me and occuring RIGHT around the same date.

Problem solved. My solution was to unistall all the updates of which I installed Jan 10
    Should be able unistall installed updates from Control Panel (Classic View). Programs and Features, and go to installed updates on the left hand on that window. Then, find the bad updates.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Yeah, I tried their solutions, but to no avail.... I gave up waiting and formatted the drive (the very day I got it!), and re-installed Vista. After that I had problems again just booting the OS, roughly two days after formating. Basically the OS would load up, but then freeze after taking me to the desktop. Everytime now!

I took my notebook to the Tech Services of the place I got it, and they said there was nothing they could do because the OS is completely frozen... they are going to replace my notebook, but I can not believe how ridiculous this is. Although I'm willing to give that my issue may lay outside of the OS directly, but:

I believe a lot of problems people are experiencing in this thread is related to the way Vista works, and the B.S. minimum requirements Micro$oft says Vista needs. Microsoft shouldn't be putting things out they KNOW will not work, but thats a tried and true message thats been said a while now.

I'm using this:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279173
    And after reading this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
    Then this:
    http://komku.blogspot.com/2007/02/ibmer-says-vistas-ram-sweet-spot-is-4gb.html

I've concluded that Toshiba and Micro$oft have ripped me off. Needless to say I advise everyone to format their drives and install a better OS...
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:14 PM

• Thanks for this solution. First hit from google search [ Vista upgrade stuck "Shutting down" ]

I installed the latest (huge) update on Vista Ultimate 64 and I left my system at
    "Shutting down..." before I went to bed last night and this morning (~10 hours later)
     it was still in that state. 
    Using this solution saved me countless hours of frustration.

Coincidentally I have the same MoBo  (ASUS P5N-E)  Intel Core2 Duo E6850 and
    2GB memory + eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS. 
    (added the other components in case there becomes a noticeable trend which MS can identify and fix) 

I'll be installing updates one at a time from now on until Vista is more solid. 

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:07 PM

• Thanks for this solution. First hit from google search [ Vista upgrade stuck "Shutting down" ]

I installed the latest (huge) update on Vista Ultimate 64 and I left my system at
    "Shutting down..." before I went to bed last night and this morning (~10 hours later)
     it was still in that state. 
    Using this solution saved me countless hours of frustration.

Coincidentally I have the same MoBo  (ASUS P5N-E)  Intel Core2 Duo E6850 and
    2GB memory + eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS. 
    (added the other components in case there becomes a noticeable trend which MS can identify and fix) 

Only one update left to install after reboot, which I did manually.
    So far, so good after system restart. 

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:27 PM
  • I also have had this problem on two Vista Ultimate boxes.
    Both have ASUS P5N-E mobos and 4GB RAM.
    One has a dual-core CPU, the other quad-core.
    Both have different NVIDIA-based graphics.

The first one I solved by uninstalling KB943899 and then hiding it so automatic updates wouldn't try it again.  But then it got installed automatically anyway on 1/9/08, and that time it worked.

The second one is giving me fits as I write this, primarily because I'm trying to get to that box remotely.  Luckily there's someone nearby who can force reboot it for me.  Ugh.

SUGGESTION: the Shutting Down... and Configuring Updates... screens need a way to give the user some feedback, even if it's as simple as a Details... button.  And they need some sort of emergency escape hatch other than forcing the power off.
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:41 PM
  •  

Me too!  Same problem with same ASUS MoBo: P5N-E (SLI) - It looks like that's the near unanimous common correlation:  Vista update and the ASUS P5N-E MoBo.  Mine was a fresh and complete reinstall of Vista Premium on my new Quad-Core machine (w/ an ATI Graphics Card).

I seemed to have licked this problem based on Kyle Rogers's post.  Update KB943899 hung up the updates.  When I "unchecked" that one, the rest of the updates installed just fine, then I installed Update KB943899 by itself and though it seemed to hang up at the shut-down, it looks like it ultimately installed successfully.  I later saw that this update is only a "recommended update," so maybe it wouldn't be a problem to avoid it all together.

NOTE:  I tried to rename the folder, "c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution," but I wasn't allowed while in Windows - and when I tried to boot to the "safe-mode DOS prompt," the computer just booted up to Windows after scrolling through a bunch of file paths.  That's why I went with Kyle's suggestion.  I did have to force some of the shut-downs, especially when the little circle / wheel wasn't "spinning" freely (stalled every few seconds or so).

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Following up: after many tries and forced shutdowns :-( , I finally got the second box updated, included KB943899.  One time it froze solid while (at crcdisk) while trying to safe boot - scary; booting Last Known Good worked after that.  There are some errors in the log :-( , but finally it thinks it's all updated.  :-)
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Hi danthrax,

I'd like to suggest you boot from installation DVD and selecting repair diagnosed "A patch is preventing the system from starting" and allowed a system restore. Then check whether you can log into the system.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:02 AM
  •  

Same thing happened to me. This is ridiculous. Microsoft really s*cks, their own updates trash the system. How pathetic is that?

After allowing Vista to install a few updates last night, and then shutting down my PC, Vista went into this "Configuring Updates" deal, then eventually switched and said "Shutting Down". It sat like that over night, about 12 hours. Today it was still on "Shutting Down" so I did a hard reset. When the PC booted, it went right back to "Configuring Updates". I let it sit like that for another hour, and eventually I just gave it another hard reset. Every time I reset it would just go right back to the same thing. I could not get Vista to boot at all, as seems to be the case with many people out there today.

Finally I decided to boot in safe mode, and I came online and saw that a lot of people have the same problem.

For the record, I too have an Asus P5N=E SLI motherboard (I bought mine at PC Club, anyone else??).

In safe mode, I discovered that I do not have the option to disable automatic updates, the Update snap in won't even open in safe mode, no error message, just won't open.

I went into add/remove programs (or whatever the hell they decided to call it under vista) and uninstalled all of the updates that were applied so far this year (2008).

When I rebooted, it came back to the "Configuring Updates" screen again.

Repeated the above, logging back in to safe more and had to uninstall those updates again.Then I went into C:\Windows and renamed the "Software Distribution" directory to "Software Distribution.old".

Then I rebooted and pressed f8 to get to boot in safe mode again.

First time I tried, it froze booting in safe mode before it got to the login screen, I can't remember the last thing it had on the screen, but it was the same last thing that I saw when it booted in safe mode correctly, cdrive.dll or something like that.

So then I rebooted again, into safe mode, and this time it didn't freeze. It did however come up with "Configuring Updates" again. This time I just waited a few minutes, and then the login appeared. I figured it was uninstalling the updates this time, and I think I was correct in that.

So now I am back in Vista, not in safe mode, and I have disabled all future automatic updates because obviously Microsoft can't even manage to put out an update without trashing their own OS. I'd love to hear their excuse for this, but like everything else, they just won't say anything, even though they know that this error is costing people millions and millions of dollars in lost productivity today.

• Proposed as answer by Iris the Cat Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm having the same issues with Vista Ultimate on a friend's computer.

I tried everything, i think:

* Boot with F8 to last known good configuration ("configuring updates" screen takes longer, but enters shut down loop eventually..)
    * Boot with F8 into safe mode (command line, with network and just plain safe mode): blue windows logo in the middle of the screen gets visible and reboots immediately
    * Boot into command using installation dvd to rename the windows\softwaredistr.. directory, and reboot, keeps rebooting. Tried last known good config after this rename and didn't work either.
    * Boot repair startup thingy (my friend's install is not english) - didn't work, all events in the log seem to be finished with success.
    * Boot from dvd to try get back to a system restore point: didn't work because there were no restore points available Sad
    * Boot from dvd and perform complete restore: no backups available.

It just keeps configuring updates, shuttin down...

I know how to solve xp problems pretty well, but vista has struck me on this one..

Any ideas how this annoying problem can be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Thank you so much for this thread!

I just finished building an ASUS P5N-E SLI with Vista Ultimate x64 and ran into the same exact issues.  I thought my hardware was hosed.

I just booted up into the UltimateBootCD to try the rename directory trick.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix it.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Dang - After renaming that directory - it's just stuck on the little green progess bar during boot up.

Looks like since it's a new build, I might as well re-install all of Vista and selectively do the updates afterwards.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:35 PM
  • I can also confirm renaming the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory allows you access to the operating system again.

I used the recovery tools on the Vista disc, as my current selection of DOS recovery discs does not allow NTFS write.

My motherboard is the ASUS P5N-E SLI, although I've read on other forums whilst trying to find a fix that some Dell machines have this issue.

This happened when I re-installed Vista this afternoon. I'm a bit perplexed as I did install all updates during Patch Tuesday with no problems. Perhaps if this is an updated driver issue, installed the ASUS drivers first could solve it.

I'll be trying that, and couple of other ideas tomorrow, as I've had to hard reset this installation so often I don't think it'll be stable!

Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:16 AM
  •  

I had same problem with it sitting on configuring updates for hours only to sit at shutting down with P5N-E SLI.  I got annoyed and just pressed the reset button only to have it boot back to configuring updates.  Five seconds later I hit reset again and went in bios.  Somewhere along the lines of my reading various forums about Vista being a nightmare in more ways than imaginable I remebered something about the Jmicron sata controller being a source of problems.  I disabled it in bios, saved and let reboot.  Got to configuring updates, then seconds later shutting down, again seconds later I was at login screen.  Maybe 7 seconds total from the time I left bios to the time it got to the login screen.  A bit of a difference from 2 hours with no results.  I logged in and noted it listed the updates status as successful then booted back to bios and enabled the Jmicron sata controller (I really have no idea what it actually does, my sata drive still functioned with it disabled).  Vista booted up fine with the controller set back to enabled again.

I'm kind of glad I'm using this install as a trial and error setup.  My original setup was two SATA drives in a raid mirror but one of the brand new drives died 10 mins into the install, lol.  So while I wait for the replacement I have just one running to figure out all the bugs.  I'm not positive if it's entirely Microsoft's fault or some of Asus' but I'll be making lots of backups as I don't trust this machine to keep my data safe (raid or no raid) at this point.  It's pretty sad with a 64-bit OS I have to remove 2 of the 4GB of ram to install the OS, then a patch, then put the rest of the ram in for it to work.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Hi Danthrax,

As you did not reply the thread for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:55 AM

• Hi,

I came across this problem too. I was building a new system, install windows vista home premium. Started
    installing softwares (ms office, drivers, mcafee and stuff), while the default automatic update was on the
    background and finally after downloaded all 47 microsft updates (didn't see what was downloaded); system
    restarted and got into this "configuring updates/shutting down" stucked process.

I was able to recover it using the vista disc to go back to one of the restore point, wasting some of my installation
    efforts Sad So my question now, since I disable the automatic update, how do I select which to update at a time, just
    like "X" where you can check and uncheck which to do a download and updates.

Should this kind of problem  have a way to recover or exit the "configuring updates" when it stucked or
    been like this for a long time (same on shuting down)? This supisticated OS should be able to know that the
    system has been like this for a long time and should at least help the user to go back to the system and undo
    whatever things to be undo. like "Cancel configuration updates" or "Force shutdown"?

Without this forum, i could had been gone crazy!

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:17 AM
  • drewacs:

If you open Windows Update and get a list of available updates, you can force Vista to hide them.

In this case it appears to be the update KB943899.

If you right click on this update in this list, and select Hide. It should no longer be automatically installed.

For extra safety for the time being I've disabled all automatic updates, until a Microsoft fix is released to sort this out.

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by carolsimpson Monday, January 04, 2010 11:48 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2008 8:12 AM
  • I just experienced this and my symptoms were very similar to everybody else's. It kind of makes me mad simply because I woke up today with my computer 'shutting down' and had to hard reboot, only to spend the next several hours reading(and writing to) threads about how to get my friggin computer to stop shutting down continuously. I couldn't get it to boot in any safe mode (command prompt even) it would just restart immediately after completing its threads. After reading what was suggested, the ONLY way I could get into vista to disable auto updates was the installation cd: restore to a point before the update tried to install. Is it possible to avoid this by simply changing settings in windows update from 'update automatically' to 'download updates but let me choose whether to install them'? Im scared to shut my computer down at all now because I dont want it to trick me into installing. Also, I didn't find the KB943899 at all, so I couldnt hide it.. maybe they took it off. Oh and BTW, my mobo is a asus p5k - e.. almost identical to p5b but w p35 chipset...

***EDIT: nevermind I found the specified update. and hid it

Sunday, January 27, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Typical M/S poblem.

I also have a Asus P5N-E, running  a Core Quad Q6600 at 2.4Gb, with 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB SATA drive.

Once the install is applied, it sits there with the "configuring updates" display and intermittent access to the hard drive.

The KB on 943899 says that V1 of it had problems with some SATA disks which resulted in this result.

Well, I have V2 as the downloaded version, which Vista tried to install yesterday. I will check through that over the weekend, but it looks like the same problem as V1.

A nice way to kill a high-spec gaming system!!!!!

Regards

Chris

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I've just had the same problem on an Asus P5N-E SLI with Vista Ultimate.  I can confirm that disabling the JMicron Sata controller in BIOS has allowed the "Configuring Updates" to complete within about 1 minute after which the system shut down and restarted OK.

I think it's amusing that KB943899 claims that "By installing this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios".  I guess this just happens not to be one of those scenarios.

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:03 PM
  • THANKS

It is obviously a problem between the BIOS and M/S. Turning the JMicron Sata controller back on after doing the install works OK, so I would guess that the install process makes changes to the system which M/S and/or the BIOS did not expect or test, and just hang the system.

And why, with automatic updates, do I get options to delay for 5 mins, 1 hour or 4 hours, but not longer or a cancel out option. Even after changing the update to flag and wait for my approval, the system still decided to do the install after 4 hours - while I was in the middle of a game, and had just switced over to my XP box, on the same monitor, for an eBay bid. Luckily, the game was saved, but still a problem.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:29 AM
  •  

My initial setup was going to be RAID-1 but 10 mins in one of the drives died.  So about a week and a half later when the repleacement came I got the chance to format and start again.  It was exactly a smooth process.  I also have an IDE drive installed which I use for applications and a small partition for XP and legacy programs that don't work in Vista.  The issue with it was Vista was trying to put the boot sector on the IDE drive which makes the raid near useless in my opinion.  The workaround for that was install vista without the IDE drive attached.  The odd part of it all though was I didn't need to disable the jmicron sata controller this time while doing updates.  I did do a full system backup right after setting everything up the way I wanted which worked out good cause MS pushed down a nvidia sata controller driver update that made the install useless.  I could login and the welcome screen would start to load as well as the sidebar but then it'd just slow to a crawl and never load.  These same driver updates did not cause an issue when I was running single drive.  So vista backup and restore works great, fairly quick process too.  I now have updates set to notify only and hide any driver updates related to the drive controllers and do frequent system restore backups.  The only issue now I'd like to be rid of is having to drop back to 2GB of ram everytime I do a reinstall.  Word is you can't slipstream SP1?
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:23 PM
  • My 7 month-old Dell laptop is currently unusable because of the same problem.  I'm on my old Dell laptop, which runs XP.  Thank God I have another laptop! 

When the problem started on my Dell 1505 laptop running Vista Home Premium, I was online and reading a news story.  With NO WARNING, my computer just shut down.  Then it proceeded (my hands were not on the keyboard!) to reboot, with a message stating, "Configuring Updates." "0% Completed."  I gave it a few minutes to complete the upgrade, but the only thing that happened was that the laptop rebooted, rebooted, rebooted, rebooted, rebooted...  It's not a virus, as far as I can tell.  It involves the installation of automatic updates from Microsoft.

At this time, I'm debating what to do.  I'm disabled and very low income.  I cannot afford to pay someone to fix my computer. 

I will wait a few days to see if Microsoft produces a hotfix.  I'm just hoping my motherboard has not been ruined.  Can't afford to buy another laptop, and this one is old and slow.

One of my closest friends, a long time supporter of MS products, has switched to an Apple laptop and loves it.  She did that because of all of the problems with Vista.

Frankly, until this update fiasco, I had no problems with Vista. 

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Well I encountered the same problem for the past 14 hours today. I was going nuts trying to fix my computer after upgrading my main harddrive. Well, here's what I've come to figure out.

I've not experienced any problems what-so-ever. I was originally running off an EIDE drive and it worked fine, 40GB WD HDD, well, I upgraded to a Samsung 120GB SATA HDD and installed it as my main HDD. (I have 6 HDDs in my pc, 4SATA and 2xIDE) well I thought it was just having problems configuring because the bootsector was on my linux partition so I decided to completely wipe out my Primary Master and my new SATA, clean partitions, no MBRs no anything. I install a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate, start updating and I get stuck with the error yet again.

I am running:
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64

P5N-E SLI
    Intel Core Duo 2.53ghz
    2x 8800gtx
    8GB Ram
    650 watt PSU
    SB Audigy 2 ZS
    6HDD
    2x DVD Burner

Well I managed to reinstall several times, thinking it was just a bad install. But after 3 times I figured it had to be windows update. I got into safe mode and it locked up, then I went back to start normally and it worked. I just booted into safe mode so it would load the default drivers and maybe kick vista over.

Well, I started updating and it did it again... So I formatted once again and this time I installed the newest drivers for all my hardware, then I checked for update, decided I'd give it a shot. Went fine.

After going through all these hours of testing and trying to figure out precisely what the problem is, I've come to conclude it's one of the following:

ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY
    NVIDIA nForce 430/410 SATA Controller
    KB93728
    nVidia 8x00 Drivers

If I were to guess of any of the above it would definitely be the ATK0110.

So yeah, there's my two cents I hope it helps people. If you have questions feel free to email me: nanahara/@/gmail.com no / naturally
    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Comodo Firewall causes this problem with Vista updates and Comodo has provided an update to fix it.

Comodo does not update automatically. You must go to the Misc Tab and click the check for updates.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:05 AM
  • I've had this problem with my Vista Ultimate version which used vLite to cut off some Microsoft fats. Reinstalled with the FULL Vista Ultimate and I didn't have any problems since.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Hi guys,

I just experienced the same issue today. I'm running windows ultimate.

It was stuck at the configuration screen - stage 3 - 0%...and over and over, it kept shutting down.

I decided to boot from my VISTA installation DVD, went to Repair Windows and restored my computer to a previous Windows Update.

The restoration went fine and I'm now back in the system.

You need a VISTA DVD copy to do so - I'm not sure, if you will be able to do it without it and in many cases, the DVD is missing when Vista is preinstalled on the machine I believe...

Another similarity in the problem, many have ASUS motherboards - mine is also an Asus (P5B-MX) - don't know if it has anything to do with that...

Hope this can help,

Cheers

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:14 AM
  • Thank you all very much for the comments!  I just finished putting together a computer using the Asus P5NE-SLI and was having the exact same problem (with the computer stalled on Configuring Updates/Shutting down).

I did what NuclearCola suggested:

1. Hit reset
    2. Disabled the Jmicron SATA controller fromthe BIOS
    3. On startup, Windows goes back to the Configuring Updates screen but finishes in less than 5 minutes.  Finally!  (I checked and saw that the KB943899 patch had been installed.)
    4. Reenabled Jmicron controller in BIOS (whatever that does)

Everything seems to be working.  Thanks again!

Derek

Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hi all,

i had the exact same Problem with my PC (Also a P5NE-SLI Mainboard).
    Disabling the JMicron SATA-Controller also solved the Problem here.

Many Thanks to all here!!!!!

I think the JMicron Controller also was a Reason why Hibernation did not worked corrctly before.

Thanks Again.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 10:49 AM
  •  danthrax wrote:
    Purchased a new computer, with Vista, and after setting up the router, and downloading the updates I have been completely unable to use my notebook (a Toshiba Satellite). I have left it running for 4 and a half hours with no change. I can not boot passed this "Configuring Updates" screen,... quite ridiculous. I am really hoping there is something I can do with out having to reload Vista on the notebook as I'll have to re-install all the software I previously did. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN! And can I expect the same thing to happen even after I re-install Vista, so is it advisible to not allow for windows updates to avoid this problem???

Hi!

Try to runs system restore, and it will resolved the issue about that configuring updates

Hope will work!!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:47 AM
  • I fought with this problem for hours. Brand new Gateway computer. Never used it for anything. As soon as I fired it up I set the Vista Home Premium to 'check for updates' HUGE MISTAKE. At first I thought it was the computer. Reinstalled from the supplied backup disk (lost the extra software that came with the computer). All worked fine untill; you guessed it, I downloaded updates again. I've tried a variety of the Microsoft runarounds, with various unsatisfactory results.
    Finally I loaded Ubuntu v7.10. Works perfect and is REALLY FAST.
    I highly recommend this permanent solution.
    Saturday, April 05, 2008 2:22 AM
  •  

I trust by now you realize that 95% of the problems that have been incurred using Vista had nothing to do with Vista, 1. Third party hardware that had no or improper drivers, 2. Third party software that didn't follow MS format (they think they know more than MS), 3. People trashing their own machines rather than letting a professional at MS talk them through it or take it back to where they bought it so they don't VOID the warranty. I know it's frustrating, but we don't live in a perfect world. Just look at all those here who have trashed their own system, voiding warranties and blaming their own actions on someone else. It's the society we live in. It's always going to be someone else.
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 2:23 PM
  •  

I see having to remove 2 of my 4gb of ram just to install Vista x64 immediately followed by a MS patch as a Vista issue.  The other issue I see as a Vista issue is Windows updates marking a 3rd party SATA controller driver as important.  The problem with this is I already have the most recent driver from the hardware manufacturer and if I download this "newer" driver it renders my system unusable as in all it does is BSOD.  My workaround is to set Windows updates to notify only.  I hide any driver updates they issue since I have no current hardware related issues and any system modifying updates I do a system image first.  I'd rather MS just mark their OWN software updates as important and not 3rd party hardware drivers so I could make use of automatic updates without the fear that they will force some incompatible driver on my hardware that they think is better than what the actual hardware manufacturer provides.  Service pack 1 installed without a hitch though, which suprised me.
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  

Soulution

I think that you should try looking at this link: http://www.pctipsbox.com/configurating-updates-stage-3-of-3-stuck-in-endless-reboot-loop/

i did'nt really understand it but i used the system restore option and it work fine.

Basiclly all i did was :

1. Put in my vista CD 

2. Click next on the language options i clicked "system recovery options" along the bottom

3. Then i clicked"system restore"

4. Then i clicked on a earlier point before i installed the update.

5. After evrything worked fine i clicked on control panel

6. Then i disabled updates

i know this might be a bit confusing and i dont really get it eathier

anyway hope this helps you

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:54 PM
  • I also have the same problem with the ASUS P5N-E SLI. After 4 reinstalls I did not install any of the optional or recommended updates. It has been working fine since.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:03 AM
  • I just ran into this same issue yet again. I had it happen months ago and somehow fixed it, but decided to install Vista 64 today.

The problem is definetly the JMicron sata driver setting in the Bios. After disabling that, I am able to finish the "configuring updates" shenanigans.

MS really need to disable the update entirely. This has gone on since Vista launched. It's a very frustrating problem that makes the OS look like a joke.
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:39 AM
  • I am having similer trouble with mine can anyone help as this is so annoying.

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:00 PM
  •  

Dude, just read the previous posts, there are about a dozen different solutions. Don't just piggy back and ask for help when the help is already there. Jeeze.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I have had the same problem for a month,  after my VIsta had worked fine for a year. Now  I have  another one: after the configure updating is down over 36 min, auto startup does not work. The startup repair kickes in and take a few min before the PC move to "window is loading file" before it return to normal.

I have tried to restore the PC but the earliest restore point also includes the situation. It has taken over 20 min and the "System restor" is still running. WHat should I do now beside waiting?

Thanks 

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:57 PM
  • After I restore the PC and disabled auto update, it start fine, but I cannot get on internet any more even the connect looks fine. A error" malfunction of Layered Service Provider" appears. Could someone advise me?

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:47 AM
  • After disabling the auto update, my PC works now. My question is: how can I continue operating while may miss some really needed updates?

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Why not just install SP1? I have had no problems with the install.

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:48 AM
  • I have had this problem since Feb, and thanks to this thread i have just sorted it.

i had originally just used system restore in safe mode to recover the machine and disabled atuo updates, this was good and it worked, however i was as of today missing 34 critical updates and thought it was time to try again.  I have an ASUS P5-NE SLI mobo

This is how i done it,

install all updates, you will get the problem of "configuring updates" on reboot, both shutdown then startup.

Restart the system in safe mode with command prompt

change directory to cd\windows

type - rename softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old

exit and restart.

My machine rebooted effortlessly, so thank you to all the contributors to this thread!

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:02 PM
  • I also had this problem but had to sort it a different way, i used a Linux CD to boot the machine with and found that deleting all the pending.xml files (C:\Windows\Winsxs) sorted the problem it did come up with the configuring updates screeen again but after that it come straight up with the logon screen and let me login i have since restarted and shutdown the machine several times and all is ok

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I have an Acer laptop and turned off before the update was complete and thus it was stuck on 0% for hours. This worked. I turned it off again and rebooted pressing F8 (it may be differant for other brands) until I got to the screen when you can choose to go into Safe Mode etc. I chose "Last known configaration that worked"....and it worked. It booted into the normal screen and I then went to Windows Update and installed the files it was trying to install when I turned off. In this case it was Service Pack 1.. it takes a long time. Don't try to rush it...you can't. Do it before you go to bed and let it run overnight.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:38 AM
  • I have windows Vista Home Basic and have had the loop problem for 3 days.   I found the answer to this problem on line today and am now responding to you from my notebook. 

You need to delete the file.  Do this by:

Turning system off. Turn on system and hit "shift 6" - launch repair.

Go to the "Command" prompt. Type in

C:\windows\winsxs - hit enter.  Then type del pending.xml

Hope this works for you like it worked for me. 

If you find this, THANK YOU WOOZA!!!!

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:37 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have had faced this issue before. Then i have used System restore from Safe mode and it solved all the issues.

This time, I have tried to install lots of importent fixes too. And after installation all the updates status were changed to Pending. And I start getting the same issue... "Configuring updates, please wait....". This happend at the time of start and shutdown. After two days few of the pending updates were turned to installed. But still I have failed updates.

Now i have following mentioned issues

1) Configuring updates at the start and at the time of shutdown of the system

2) System restore failed to restore. As at the time of restore process it immediately starting shutdown. So system restore is not working

3) I have tried to use "Trun program on or off" but it is also not working..

So, in short Window updates made my system mess and i really dont know what to do...

What should be the best solution to solve above mentioned problem.

Please suggest..

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Well here it is 12 months later and windows is still doing it . Why haven't they fixed this problem new instal of ultimate and this continued to happen my old m/c was running premium and never had this problem is it just ultimate
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Have you tried reinstalling Vista? If you have a TechNet Subscription you can download a new copy of vista or use your TechNet Vista disk; then open the firewall; click on the advanced tab and enable BITS and every everything else. Go to OEM web site and download an updated bios and any other new drivers.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:13 AM
  • I have a computer that was built by PC-Club, this company went bankrupt; was acquired by another company for the purpose of liquidation. I found that they were not the sharpest knife in the drawer, or the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I purchased an Nvida 680i board with an Intel Q6600t 64 bit CPU. They conifgured it with AMD CPU's, and set it as 32bit, which means that they edited the registry. They even had the jumper setting wrong on my Phillips DVDR RAM imaging device. My solution was to contact the vendor of the board (EVGA). Since EVGA is aware of the issues with PC-Club and that didn't have Microsoft Certified Techs. They replace the board, but I had purchase a new power supply, because the power supply they installed was not compatable with the graphics cards. I'm currently rebuilding the computer. If you registered your board with the vendor they should be willing to replace it.

One caution, when your reinstall Vista, do it with only 1Gig of RAM and there is a reason for this. Vista will hang, if you install all the RAM. Install the RAM after you have installed Vista, then install SP2. Format the hard drives first either by placing it in a USB encloser; CORSAIR has one and you can purchase it from Newegg. The November issue of TechNet Magazine has a Linix utility called GParted.

Good luck.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Have tried opening the Firewall. Under the Advanced Tab enable BITS and everything else except network projector?
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:31 AM
  • You have a 64bit machine; why not update to Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Vista Ultimate really shines in 64bit.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:34 AM
  • One more thing, do a clean install and use only 2gig of ram and there is a reason for this. Tell you later
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Sounds as if the bulder edited the registry. I have an Nvida board with same issues. The vender shipped me a replacement board.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:41 AM
  • +++++++++++++
    Solved my problem !!!

Every time Vista would start on my laptop (HP 505) it would stall at "Configuring Updates 3 out of 3" screen for cca 4 minutes, and every time I would shut it down I would get "Configuring Updates 2 out of 3" screen and again several minutes of stall. Then I un-installed anti virus McAfee and both problems disappeared!

-------------------
    Ah, ____, it is back. I turned on Wlan/Bloototh and tried to connect it to my Nokia. Computer didn't find drivers, but I managed to connect it anyway with Nokia application. Anyway, this annoying thing is back.
    I solved it. Turning Wlan off (presing the button on laptop) also turnes off those anoying things (both of them).
    • Edited by vang1870 Friday, September 04, 2009 2:50 PM update
    Friday, September 04, 2009 2:03 PM
  • So I've read all of these responses and on seem to solve the problem in my case. I don't have the boot dvd- its back home in Houston probably, if i even have it.

When I boot in safe mode, I still get the 'Configuring Updates 3 of 3' then  'Shutting Down...'

Any suggestions?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:22 AM
  • I'm sorry I do not have a solution for you - I am in the same boat. I have tried everything from safe mode to restore computer - it just stays in the loop. I do not have the cd since everything was pre-installed (alot of good it does when you cant access it) lol

I've read all the threads and nothing I have tried has helped. I was hoping that by now there is a solution that will work for me.

I (my daughter) have a Dell Inspirion 1521 with Vista home premium.

Can someone please help -

Thank you!!
    Friday, November 06, 2009 2:06 AM
  • I had the same problem. I read through most of this as well as other help sites tried everything
    and nothing worked.
    I was able to boot to "safe mode with command prompt"
    using the vista installation cd (any vista installation cd)
    My main boot drive happens to be x. So I typed
    x:\windows
    then
    x:\windows regedit
    When you get to the registry editor click "edit" on the toolbar and then "find".
    type in Microsoft.Update.
    it will end up at a list that looks like this
    Microsoft.Update.Installer
    Microsoft.Update.Installer.1   There is a list of about a dozen items that start with the Microsoft.Update
    If you click the first one you will see
    CLSID
    Curver
    click the double and you will
    see CLSID.... Both the CLSID in each pair is identical so I deleted all of the ones that that
    the curver in them. One of them is probably the culprit but I have no idea which one ...
    Anyway, I was then able to boot normally..
    Now what I cant figure out is how to do the updates without having it happen again..
    good luck 
    Update: A possible solution to once again updating: http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/04/07/windows-vista-sp1-prerequisite-kb937287.aspx

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:09 AM
  • This worked for me.
    from    Vista Help - Laptop Looping
    http://isaintjohn.com/classifieds/showthread.php?p=344234

I didn't have a vista disk. So I burned a vista recovery disk from online.
    setup laptop to boot from disk.....................
    Member (100 to 500 posts)

Give this here a shot:

1. Insert your Vista install disc into your drive and boot from it.
    2. Select "Repair your Computer" from the list.
    3. Select "Command Prompt" from the recovery choices.
    4. At the command prompt type C:
    5. Type cd Windows
    6. Type cd WinSxS
    7. Type del pending.xml
    8. Exit and reboot
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:25 AM
  • I have tried just about everything that i have seen mentioned. If i get anything, it's just going thru the configuring updates 3 of 3 0%, repeatedly. I have Acer notebook Aspire5100-3825 with Windows Vista. I have had problems in the past, but NEVER this one. If i hit the F8 and the safe mode command prompt, it says please wait while listing all windows/drivers or whatever, and eventually shuts down again. I don't know which updates it's trying to configure, but the last update i allowed was for firefox, and clicked on the update later after it downloaded it. I didn't turn computer back on for several days. Now this?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi ALL

I had just bought FUJITSU SIEMENS Esprimo Mobile U9200 with Vista business. Yesterday the same thing happened....it really pissed me off...especially when you are in Africa....nwe I think

1. This is a total failure of Microsoft......just like when IE7 was first introduced..c'mon dont these dudes do throrough tetsing or what...XP is the best in my opinion. Vista is a waste of money and potential crasher...

2. These dude who calls himself Microsoft Online Community Support is hopeless...ive gone through all threads and there is no where he has provided useful answers. It seems he doesnt have a clue of what is happening...

3. Nwe, thank God I got the issue fixed as follows after googling....
                - Reboot machine and press F8 before the windows vista screen appears...then choose repair....then select command prompt....the do the following

Type cd C:\windows\winsxs and then press ENTER.
     Type ren pending.xml pending.old and then press ENTER.
     Type regedit and then press ENTER.
     Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Now click on the File menu and then click Load Hive.
     Locate the following folder:
    C:\windows\system32\config\components
    When you are prompted for a name, type Offline_Components.
     In Registry Editor, locate and then delete the following registry subkey:
    HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier
    Type exit and restart your computer.

This should solve the problem....and once you are in click on the updates icon and better install updates manually if need be...

Regards

:) Fahad

Monday, February 01, 2010 7:59 AM
  • You're my hero king Fahad :D
    Thank you so much for your help.

All the best
    Mart
    Monday, February 01, 2010 7:44 PM
  • recently i bought a laptop from .with vista home premium.when i start my laptop the windows stop on configuring updates.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:17 PM
  • I'm confirming that following the steps below will resolve this issue.

1. Insert your Vista install disc into your drive and boot from it.
    2. Select "Repair your Computer" from the list.
    3. Select "Command Prompt" from the recovery choices.
    4. At the command prompt type C:
    5. Type cd Windows
    6. Type cd WinSxS
    7. Type del pending.xml
    8. Exit and reboot

Monday, February 22, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Been struggling with this for days.  My problem is compounded by my stupidity in trying to get around this by installing a new OS (Vista Ultimate) and now have two OS on my computer which has the hard drive completely full!  So when I insert the original install disc it asks if I want to start in safe mode, etc. etc. and it still goes to the configuring updates 3 of 3 again.    I cannot get to the repair your computer from the list.  I am completely baffled as to whether I should quick format the C drive to get Ultimate off, or keep trying the above.  It doesn't work for me, because I now have two OS on my laptop.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Here's an update.  I manage to do a quick format of the C drive, which had the Vista Ultimate on it.  Now it will not repair the computer because it thinks I still have a "new hardware" attached.  That was part of the whole problem with this, trying to install a USB wireless dish adapter.  It will not repair.  I think I am headed for a trip to a computer repair shop.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:49 PM
  • first off i had this problem just now...i was researching for some solutions to this problem with my other laptop(its a mac...wooooo how reliable)

So like everyone else's problem mine was stuck on "Configuiring updates 3 of 3 - 0% complete" so i turn it off by holding the down the power button. I did it like 2 times it didnt work. So now i go in safe mode which i was able to go to successfully. 

Then what i did is i went to(off course classic view) control panel>administrative tools then go under services, look for windows update and unmark it then apply. I restarted it then it was back to normal =)...tho i have a question is windows update really necessary for windows vista or could it function without any system updates? 

Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:21 AM
  • how to recover  all my missing files and floder they missing on same time like email and  the microsoft program

Thank you

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:26 AM
  • I am having a similar problem with Vista in my PC. Every time I try to start my computer whether it's in normal or safe mode it always goes to the "configuring updates: step 3 of 3" screen and after about 30 seconds shuts down, then restarts and this continues over and over and over again. I tried to restore it to a previous point but it still does the same thing. Is my only option to completely restore my computer and lose all of my files?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 5:34 PM
  • I am having the same problem with my computer as well... how would i restore my computer if it were a gateway and are there any other options?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I had same problem with Win7, every time I'd shut down, the loop would continue trying to configure Windows on boot.  I simply went to All Programs/Windows Update and installed the updates.  Then I restarted.  It was able to configure on reboot, and no more loop.  So don't let the updates install on shut-down, install them manually and then reboot.  Hope this helps.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:47 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem. The screen is on 'configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0%' it stays like this for about 2-3 minutes then automatically restarts itself and loads back up only to be taken to the same screen. It's been going round in this circle for about an hour now can anyone help me? I'm on a different computer at the moment but would really like to be able to get onto my own :|
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:29 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem. The screen is on 'configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0%' it stays like this for about 2-3 minutes then automatically restarts itself and loads back up only to be taken to the same screen. It's been going round in this circle for about an hour now can anyone help me? I'm on a different computer at the moment but would really like to be able to get onto my own :|
    Hi, I'm having the same problem with Vista Ultimate. It tries to configure updates and the says there was a problem and it goes back to restore point and the same thing happens all over again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lee
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Here is what I did. Held the power button until it restarted. Held F11 and got to the Restore System and followed the instructions. I then selected a previous date to restore to. It worked and I will never update again!!

Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:23 PM