none
Vista 64 bit to Vista 32 bit Printer sharing

Question

• Hi All,

I have installed the Epson Stylus CX6600 on my Vista64 desktop and it prints fine. I would like to print from my Vista32 laptop through the network. I have shared the printer on the Vista64 desktop however, when I try to add the network printer to my laptop I get an error "The server for Epson Stylus CX6600(M) printer does not have the correct driver installed. If you want to search for the proper dirver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver." If I click OK it prompts that "the file *.inf on (unknown) is needed." And it wants me to browse to it. I have reinstalled the driver on the laptop and I get the same response. This laptop has printed through the network to this printer with my old desktop PC which was running XP. I cannot get it to work with the new one running Vista64.

Anyone have the solution to this one?

Thanks,
    -Geno
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:39 PM

Answers

• More research...

I went back to Epson's website and did some more information mining and I found this nugget:

"Windows Vista printer and scanner drivers are available for your product. The printer software is available by using the Automatic Software Update service built into Windows Vista. The scanner software is available for download through Epson's website."

I believe the answer is to hook the printer up to the laptop directly and let Windows Automatic Software Update do it's job. I tried this with the CX6600 but it could not locate the driver and asked for the disc that came with the printer - which I have not found yet. However, I connected our Epson PictureMate printer which I was having the exact same trouble and it loaded the driver. After the driver was loaded on the Vista32 laptop I added a network printer to the for the PictureMate and it worked perfectly.

I think this is the solution I just need to find that darn disc and hope it has a Vista32 driver. I submitted another email to Epsons tech support, hopefully I will get someone more interested in helping this time.

Thanks for your help Arthur.

This information may help Betroncm as well.

-Geno
    • Marked as answer by Genorific Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:39 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Geno,

Epson website indicates that the printing function of Epson Stylus CX6600 is not compatible for Windows Vista. They do not release drivers for Windows Vista either. Maybe you install the printer on the 64bit desktop with a driver for Windows XP systems. Although it works for printing, it cannot make the shared printers work.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&noteoid=86150&type=highlights

For detail information, I suggest that you contact Epson support.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportContacts.jsp

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Arthur,
        I have the exact the same issue except it is on a Lexmark X6100 series all in one printer. I have set up the printer sharing and downloaded the current driver for my printer on my new computer that has Vista 64 bit. My laptop has Vista 32 bit and it gives me the same error that the host computer does not have the correct driver. Please help, thanks.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Arthur. I did find the drivers for Vista32 and Vista64 on the Epson website and installed them before I tried to share the printer. I also have tried the support at Epson and it was TERRIBLE. It didn't seem like they even read my emails they just responded to the subject line by cutting and pasting instructions on how to share a printer on a network. No help at all. I have been searching forums for folks with similar problems and I did find someone with a problem very similar to mine with Vista32, Vista64 and an Epson printer. He said the only way he could get it to work was to install Vista32 on his workstation as well. That is not an option for me.

I would sure hope someone has a better solution. XP and Vista32 worked fine but I can't get Vista32 and Vista64 to work together I am at my wits end.

-Geno

Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Hi Betroncm,

Your issue is not quite the same with Geno's because you have different models. It is better to create a new post in this forum and let's discuss this issue in that.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaprinting/thread/e521d9c8-8f60-47af-b0bc-5099d2a592ed

Thanks.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Hi Geno,

It seems that in Epson download website for Epson Stylus CX6600, there are no print drivers for Windows Vista systems.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=41664&prodoid=46253282&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Could you provide the download link you used for us? In the Epson website it obviously indicate that Epson Stylus CX6600 is not compatible with Windows Vista.

If the drivers you downloaded are not designed for Epson Stylus CX6600, it may partly work for Windows Vista 32bit and 64bit systems, but cannot realize the sharing between 32bit and 64bit systems.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:11 AM
  • From the same link you listed in your last post I downloaded the Twain Driver V3.04A for Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit. Isn't that what I need?

-Geno
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Also, the Vista Compatability Center listed my printer as compatible with Windows Vista 64.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Epson%20Stylus%20CX6600%20-%20multifunction%20%28%20color%20%29&v=Epson&uid=&pf=0&pi=1&s=epson%20stylus%20cx6600&os=64-bit

When I bought my Vista 64 desktop, I hooked up the printer and the desktop found the driver right away and the printer works great. I only have trouble when I try to share it on the network with my Vista 32 laptop. I get the error:

"The server for Epson Stylus CX6600(M) printer does not have the correct driver installed. If you want to search for the proper dirver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver." If I click OK it prompts that "the file *.inf on (unknown) is needed." And it wants me to browse to it.

-Geno
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:48 PM
  • More research...

I went back to Epson's website and did some more information mining and I found this nugget:

"Windows Vista printer and scanner drivers are available for your product. The printer software is available by using the Automatic Software Update service built into Windows Vista. The scanner software is available for download through Epson's website."

I believe the answer is to hook the printer up to the laptop directly and let Windows Automatic Software Update do it's job. I tried this with the CX6600 but it could not locate the driver and asked for the disc that came with the printer - which I have not found yet. However, I connected our Epson PictureMate printer which I was having the exact same trouble and it loaded the driver. After the driver was loaded on the Vista32 laptop I added a network printer to the for the PictureMate and it worked perfectly.

I think this is the solution I just need to find that darn disc and hope it has a Vista32 driver. I submitted another email to Epsons tech support, hopefully I will get someone more interested in helping this time.

Thanks for your help Arthur.

This information may help Betroncm as well.

-Geno
    • Marked as answer by Genorific Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:39 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Hi Geno,

Thank you for your sharing.

Now we have known that the driver for the printer can be downloaded by Windows Update.

If you connect the printer to the laptop directly, certainly you could run update and find the driver for the printer.

There is also another solution. We do not need to re-plug the printer. The following steps can be followed.

First remove exited printer driver on the laptop.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to Epson Stylus CX6600, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Then add the shared printer

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.

2. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

3. Select "Add a local printer".

4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, when your are prompt to choose a correct driver, click the button "Windows Update".

7. Wait for the process finish, and try to find the driver for Epson Stylus CX6600 in the driver list.  

8. Finish the installation.

Thank you again. This thread will be helpful for many users.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Thanks again Arthur!!!

After I got done tripping over my own stupidity, your instructions worked perfectly and saved me from having to order another CD from Epson. I can now print from my desktop and my laptop what a relief!

I hope this thread helps others who are having this problem, glad I could add a bit of info to help figure it out.

-Geno

Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Hello Arthur,

I stubbled across this post and I am experiencing the same exact problem but the printer I am using is an epson stylus photo rx500. I tried the instuctions you explained in the post, but PC is saying  "invalid port name". I am wondering if I did not perform the instuctions correctly and if you or anyone could help? 
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:21 PM
  • This title is confusing the issue:

the post is titled --

Vista 64 bit to Vista 32 bit Printer sharing

but the problem posted is:

I have installed the Epson Stylus CX6600 on my Vista64 desktop and it prints fine. I would like to print from my Vista32 laptop through the network.

Isn't this printing FROM Vista 32-bit TO a printer hosted on a Vista 64-bit computer or ---

Vista 32 bit to Vista 64 bit Printer sharing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm faced with the real problem of printing from a 64 bit laptop and not being able to establish a network connection to a printer hosted on a 32-bit XP desktop and that issue is not being address here even though the posting title would lead one to thinking it is.!!

Johnmb
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:21 AM
  • I too had the issue of printing from a Vista64 laptop to a USB printer hosted on my XP destop. After verifying that my MFP Printer model was compatible with Vista64 (printing only), I tried to install it as a Local printer first. The drivers were available in Windows by the model number! Another post I found suggested modifying the Port parameters after this install. This seemed a bit clumsy, so I uninstalled the Local printer and took a chance by adding a new Port during the install. From information I found in Network Places about the SHARED printer, I can confirm the steps proposed above do work:

To Add the shared printer:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.

2. On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

3. Select "Add a local printer".

4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

**NOTE: My method differed here in that I used \\[NAME of Host Computer]\[The Share Name of Printer]
    ** There are other considerations if Printer does not use UNC Naming convention above. See here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941542

Then click Next.

6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, when your are prompt to choose a correct driver, click the button "Windows Update".

*** If the Drivers are not already available in list, then use the Windows Update option to search for them.

7. Wait for the process finish, and try to find the driver for <Your Printer Model> in the driver list.  

8. Finish the installation.

***  With the Shared Computer and Printer ON, you should print the Test page OK.

Good Luck!

Saturday, January 02, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hi,

Epson Stylus CX6600 Vista drivers download page

Good Luck

Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Here's what I did to get it to work.

My printer is Canon iP6700D. I had it hooked up to Windows XP (32 bit) and shared. With Windows Vista (32) laptop, I also had to do the local port install, where I refer to the connection as \\xp_desktop\ip6700 . And I had all sorts of troubles with network discovery and such. But it worked fine for the last 2 years.

Then I built a new ocmputer, installed Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), and hooked up the printer and shared it. I changed the local port name on my Vista laptop, but it wouldn't work - job just sits in the Vista print queue with an error. On my Vista laptop I have the 32 bit drivers that I've been using for the past two years - shouldn't have to change anything.

I believe what finally got it working was to go to \windows\system32\spool and change BOTH sharing and security properties for the Printers folder. I made sure to add "Everyone" to the permissions list and gave them full rights. This hardly seems proper, but there it is.

At one point, a month or two back, I tried to print from Vista and I received a password prompt to authenticate my user account. When I did this, I was able to print. But when I disconnected and then reconnected to network I had to do it all over. Password authentication was undesirable anyway - I want simple sharing.

I have also done other things along the way to what appears to be my final solution:

- Group policy editor (gpedit.msc) on Windows 7, as suggested by someone else. Changed some obscure printer or print spool settings. Did not help.

- Changed various password requirements for shared resources. Did not help.

- Changed network discovery. Did not help. Note that if you are on your home network (and no, I do not mean a Windows 7 homegroup), it should be considered a private newtwork, not public, and therefore in Network Sharing the settings you need to alter are under Private, not Public.

It's unbelievable that Microsoft can't make printer sharing just work. I didn't have nearly so much trouble with file sharing and that is far more of a security risk than printers! It's also unbelievable that I haven't found a single clear explanation from Microsoft of how to fix this.

--- Glenn N in Santa Cruz
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:28 AM