none
autorun.dll can not be loaded?

Question

• Hi, I'm trying to set up Windows 7 RC. I've followed the instructions, inserted the ISO disk I created, and I get this:
    The file "autorun.dll" could not be loaded or is corrupt.  Setup can not continue.  Error code is [0x3E7]

I have started this disk up on another computer and it runs fine.  The computer I am trying to load on does not meet the
    specification for W7 in that it does not have 1 Gig of RAM.  Could that be the cause?  The test machine is a PIII running
    with 512k of RAM.  I was hoping to use it as a test bed for W7.

The install I am attempting is on a PIII with 512k of RAM, and a new hard drive, so it is a clean install.  I thought maybe it
    was trying to set up improperly, so I did an install of Windows XP on this machine (which went fine) then tried to install
    a clean install over that.   That is when I got the above message, which is the same message as it was before I installed the
    Windows XP.  Any ideas??

Thanks larry.k
    Monday, June 15, 2009 12:37 PM

Answers

• larry,

Although you shouldn't be seeing an autorun.dll issue, and the "x86" in that ISO you downloaded indicates that you did in fact obtain a 32-bit version of Windows 7 which should run on your machine, it's not recommended to run the OS on anything less than 1GB of memory. If you'd still like to give it a shot, try redownloading the ISO directly from Microsoft and burning it at the slowest speed possible.
    -Alex
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:35 PM

All replies

• hi,

is your Windows 7 x86 or x64?

if it is x64, it wont run on your system.

please check it and try to provide much more resources for windows 7.

regards,

Mumin CICEK | Exchange - MVP | www.cozumpark.com | www.mumincicek.com
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:10 PM
  • The file that I downloaded is called:
    7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_clinet_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso

I think that is the correct one for my machine??

larry.k
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:15 PM
  • larry,

Although you shouldn't be seeing an autorun.dll issue, and the "x86" in that ISO you downloaded indicates that you did in fact obtain a 32-bit version of Windows 7 which should run on your machine, it's not recommended to run the OS on anything less than 1GB of memory. If you'd still like to give it a shot, try redownloading the ISO directly from Microsoft and burning it at the slowest speed possible.
    -Alex
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:35 PM
  • This is exactly the message I got after downloading the iso image file on one computer and then burning the iso dics on another.  Hence I thought this may have caused the conflict but clearly you have obtained the same result.

doctormcclelland 
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Thanks Alex,
    I know the machine is old and limited, but it's the best "spare" I have!  I don't want
    to load W7 on my "main" machine and go into a dual-boot situation, too much of my
    important stuff is on that machine, I can't risk it.  I really don't want to build another
    machine just for testing, although that is not too far fetched.

I'll try a new download and slow burn as you suggest.

Thanks,

larry.k

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I'm going to try a new download and a slower burn speed as Alex suggests.

larry.k
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:39 AM