none
PST with USMT

Question

• Dear All,

I've done a user profile migration from XP to Win 7. However I'm a bit puzzled since I do understand that by default USMT does only transfer PST when attached to the Outlook profile. In my case no PSTs were attached, but during the scanstate process, USMT attempts to migrate PST from a network drive, which the user has mapped. I have no idea, why USMT is doing that. I could see it in the scanstate.log.

I have converted other users with the same map drive for PSTs and they were not copied. Any idea? I even converted a user, where the profile is on the same computer.

In addition I'm not sure, what version of USMT I'm using. Is there a way to check? the scanstate.exe has a date stamp 07/14/2009. Since I can convert users from XP to Win7 I assume it's version 4.0. But I like confirmation. I have MDT 2010 Update 1 installed

Thanks,

Edy

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Edy,

I would suggest another / copy .pst is located on a local drive, somewhere? I can't see other reasons why USMT capturing PST from network drive!

Have you tried to run scanstate with /getconfing? It would indicate all locatations.

Your USMT version is the latest one, 4.0.

Bart

Bartosz Kurowski Senior Desktop Support, Microsoft Cerified Trainer. MCP, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MOS

• Marked as answer by Edy Werder Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:01 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Edy,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Niki

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Hi Edy,

The point is; USMT will not migrate data from network
    drives, only re-mapped them back. There are no needs to migrate data from
    network drives unless you specify in custom.xml file to capture such data and
    restore them to local hard drive.

Bart

Bartosz Kurowski Senior Desktop Support, Microsoft Cerified Trainer. MCP, MCT, MCTS, MCITP, MOS

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi Bart,

I know what the point is, I've done other conversion and I never had this problem. Just with one user. I'm curious why the hell USMT goes out to the network and wants to convert PST from there too. We use a config.xml

Is is not possible to attach a file here?

This is the scanstate switch we use

scanstate \\bmzurnt010\usmtshare\%computername% /config:config.xml /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /o /c /v:5 /ue:*\* /ui:DOMAIN\username

Thanks,

Edy

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hi Edy,

I would suggest another / copy .pst is located on a local drive, somewhere? I can't see other reasons why USMT capturing PST from network drive!

Have you tried to run scanstate with /getconfing? It would indicate all locatations.

Your USMT version is the latest one, 4.0.

Bart

• Marked as answer by Edy Werder Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:01 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

I resolved it, I noticed there was an error in the custom.xml file. A wrong header a the top line, which invokes USMT to ignore the file.

Thanks,

Edy

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:01 PM