none
Windows Update WONT Update and I have tried everything

Question

• I have a Toshiba Vista Laptop.

I haven't had updates since July 14, 2010. I thought it was weird that I wasn't getting any updates or told of updates so I went to Windows Update and clicked check for updates for hours and hours it will run and run and nothing comes up or tells me of updates. I'm sure I have updates. 

I emailed someone at Windows and was told to do this:

If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down to avoid conflicts. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

We can run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool to detect incorrect manifests, files, or registry data. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Run Reset Windows Update Tool and System Update Readiness Tool
    ====================================
    1. Please download and run Reset Windows Update Tool from the link below:
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9665683

Follow the steps in the wizard. When you are prompted, please click to check the box before the Aggressive option.

2. Please download and run System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

Note: It may take an hour or longer to detect and replace the incorrect data, please be patient. When it is finished, please restart the computer and run Windows Update.

Step 2: Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update
    1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    2. If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    net stop cryptsvc
    4. Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Step 3: Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update
    1. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:
    2. ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
    3. ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    4. Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Step 4: Restarting services pertaining to Windows Update
    ========================================
    At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.
    net start wuauserv
    net start bits
    net start cryptsvc
    exit

Now please check for updates using Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

I did this twice and the second time I did this I got an error code- 80080005

I clicked try again and it is still running and running and nothing is coming up. 

I have tried almost everything that I have been told to fix this problem and it is not working. Can someone tell me what is wrong or how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong form, I had no idea where to post it. 

Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the error code 80080005, its meaning is “CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE” which stats “Server execution failed”.

This issue may occur if many COM+ applications run under different user accounts that are specified in the User property, the computer cannot allocate memory to create a new desktop heap for the new user. Therefore, the process cannot start.

Suggestions:

Checking COM+ System Application Service

==================================

1. Click "Start". In the "Start Search" bar, type: "services.msc" (without quotations) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Double click the service "COM+ System Application".

3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

4. Please repeat the above steps with the "Background Intelligent Transfer" and "Windows Update" service.

You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start this service again. If any service is missing or cannot be stopped or restarted, please let me know.

If the issue persists, please go to perform System File Checker to scan your system for missing/corrupt files.

Please boot in Clean Boot environment to check if it is able to perform update now.

After that, please move to the following KB article if the issue still occurs:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

More information:

Windows Update Error 80080005 on Vista

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, November 22, 2010 2:40 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:03 AM