none
Windows cannot create a homegroup on this computer

Question

• Had 3 PC's running W7 Professional and MS Office Proffesional with homegroup connection. Upgraded (replaced) one of the PC's, again with W7 Professional and MS Office Professional, and the homegroup fell apart. Could'nt join the home group with the new computer, left the homegroup on the other computers and now cannot create a homegroup on any of the computers.

Have tried most of the suggestions offered but none seem to resolve the problem and allow connection.

This is frustrating because a homegroup was created, left and now cannot be recreated. Please help if you can

Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:57 AM

Answers

• Daniel,

All computers left the home group and now all computers are unable to create a home group ie "..Windows is unable to create a homegroup on this computer.

Now about to go through the suggestions of Juke above.

Bullguard Anti-Virus is installed with the Firewall feature turned off, have even closed this software but that had no effect on the creation of a homegroup.

Regards

Gadget2650

Creating a home group & getting it connected is infact a very straight forward thing. And is pretty common having to recreate the home group if you have a new pc.

Suggest you to leave the homegroup then set up each of the computers up individually with the same password, ensure all the 3 comps are power on & having the same password created while doing the above. If still no go, suggest you to temp uninstall the Bullguard AV cum firewall

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Daniel,

Next time I'm having coffee with Bill (Gates, that is) I'm going to tell him you are worth more money.

Uninstalled Bullguard Internet suite and have successfully created a Homegroup.

My recollection of the past was that Bullguard did not prevent the creation of a Homegroup - how wrong was that!!!

Am in the process of re-installing Bullguard and will let you know if there is any interferance, will also let Bullguard know.

Thank you for the happiness you have delivered.

Many thanks

Gadget2650

lol, but too bad he's retired and i have yet to seen him in real life. I'm glad i could be of some help. : )
    • Marked as answer by Gadget2650 Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to create a Homegroup, the Network Connnection Type must be assigned as Home network.

You may refer to the following links to trouble-shoot this issue.

Why cannot I join a Homegroup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup 

Windows 7 HomeGroup: Frequently Asked Questions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449408(WS.10).aspx 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Juke,

Thanks for your response.

All 3 computers are set to Homegroup, all three are offering to 'Create Homegroup', and all 3 give the same answer '...cannot create Homegroup on this computer'

All 3 are connect using the same workgroup setting, are connected using network, and are doing file interchange successfully.

It's only the more secure (I think) Homegroup that cannot be created, when it was created and operating successfully prior to the upgrade.

Regards

Gadget2650

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

The Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider‌ services must both be running, please check their status in Service Manager.

The following advanced trouble-shooting guide is for your reference.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-cannot-connect-to-homegroup/ 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Juke,

Thank you for your response.

Both these services are on (Started - Automatic).

I am at a loss as to why there was a Homegroup and now cannot re-create a Homegroup.

All computers have 'Left the Homegroup', the initial one that is, all computers are offering to 'Join a Homegroup' and all computers give the same result '...cannot create a homegroup...'

Many links to my problem have been read, tried, but without success

Regards

Gadget2650

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Click Start, type homegroup, and then press ENTER. Click Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter.

What kind of error message do you receive?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:07 AM
  • Juke,

Having run the Homegroup trougle shooter, it suggested that there was not a problem with Homegroup but that the Network Trouble shooteer should be run.

The Network trouble shooter said it could not identify any problems and directed me back here.

There were no Errors or error codes in this operation, annoying isn't it!!!!

Thanks for your ongoing efforts to resolve this matter.

Regards

Gadget2650

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:14 PM
  • This seems peculiar. It's possible that you may be missing something - HomeGroup requires IPv6. Is IPv6 enabled?

Here's a complete start-to-finish guide on how to setup a HomeGroup. I understand that you already did this before, but it may be possible that you may come across what's causing your issue while watching this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/help/homegroup-from-start-to-finish

Please revert back here if this does not help either. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | I'm on facebook.com/serverbaba
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:43 PM
  • I am having the same issue.  I cannot no matter what steps I take join/create a homegroup on any computer.  I have even done fresh installs of windows 7.  This is very frustrating and I really wish someone would figure out what the issue is.  
    Friday, September 30, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Server Baba,

While the video was most informative, it did not resolve or fix any issues. The computers were already connected to a homegroup and it was leaving the homegroup by the replaced (Old) computer and joining the homegroup by the new computer that the problem started.

All computers have since left the homegroup and all computers are offering to 'Create a Homegroup' and all computers offer the same response....'Windows cannot create a Homegroup on this computer..'

All computers are running on Windows 7 Professional, all computers are currently connected by the standard LAN NETWORK system, and are all sharing files.

It is only with the Homegroup option that there is a problem.

Have even changed the Workgroup name on all computers, the idea to start-a-fresh, but this did not work either.

Thank you for your suggestion,

regards

Gadget2650

Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure you already left the old Homegroup, then try to modify the subnet in the DHCP server to assign a new subnet for all computers. Finally, please try to create a Homegroup again.

Monday, October 03, 2011 2:46 AM
  • Juke,

I am sure that this computer has left the homegroup because the selection is only to 'Create Homegroup'. This is what all computers are offering.

The "..modify the subnet in the DHCP server.." bit needs further explanation for I am not that computer literate.

The computers here are up-to-date, the software is the same, the system is well maintained (I think/hope), but still it could be said '..that giving me a keyboard is similar to giving a madman an axe...!!".

Thank you for your perserverance and help so far.

Regards

Gadget2650

• Edited by Gadget2650 Monday, October 03, 2011 7:46 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Juke,

I am sure that this computer has left the homegroup because the selection is only to 'Create Homegroup'. This is what all computers are offering.

The "..modify the subnet in the DHCP server.." bit needs further explanation for I am not that computer literate.

The computers here are up-to-date, the software is the same, the system is well maintained (I think/hope), but still it could be said '..that giving me a keyboard is similar to giving a madman an axe...!!".

Thank you for your perserverance and help so far.

Regards

Gadget2650

Just a thought, is there any third party firewall on either pcs? Did you ensure the network discovery, file & printer sharing, public folder sharing, home group connection is enable except for password protection sharing is turn off for the NEW COMP?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:46 AM
  • I assume the other two old pcs are still able to see & access each other under home group except only the new comp?
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Daniel,

All computers left the home group and now all computers are unable to create a home group ie "..Windows is unable to create a homegroup on this computer.

Bullguard Anti-Virus is installed with the Firewall feature turned off, have even closed this software but that had no effect on the creation of a homegroup.

Regards

Gadget2650

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Daniel,

Regards

Gadget2650

Creating a home group & getting it connected is infact a very straight forward thing. And is pretty common having to recreate the home group if you have a new pc.

Suggest you to leave the homegroup then set up each of the computers up individually with the same password, ensure all the 3 comps are power on & having the same password created while doing the above. If still no go, suggest you to temp uninstall the Bullguard AV cum firewall

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Daniel,

Next time I'm having coffee with Bill (Gates, that is) I'm going to tell him you are worth more money.

My recollection of the past was that Bullguard did not prevent the creation of a Homegroup - how wrong was that!!!

Am in the process of re-installing Bullguard and will let you know if there is any interferance, will also let Bullguard know.

Many thanks

Gadget2650

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Daniel,

Many thanks

Gadget2650

lol, but too bad he's retired and i have yet to seen him in real life. I'm glad i could be of some help. : )
    • Marked as answer by Gadget2650 Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:42 PM
  • Daniel,

Anti-virus installed and everything seems to be 100%.

Thank you again

Regards

Gadget2650

Friday, October 07, 2011 6:38 PM
  • jtunstill75,

I am using Bullguard Internet Security V10 and it wasn't until this was uninstalled that the creation of a homegroup was achieved.

Perhaps, if you have some sort of Internet Security product install, it may pay to try uninstalling it and seeing what happens.

If you are as I was, desparation will cause you to try anything!!!!

Regards

Gadget2650

Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Hi

After read all post about "Windows cannot set up homegroup on this computer"  , there are new solutions for this issue? , Service pack 1 is relate it to this? i ask this because i have 3 pc's and 2 laptop in th same network and all have this problem. all with windows 7 pro. one of my laptop restore to factory settings and homegroup appeared, but after serivce pack 1 was installed dissapeared. i uninstall service pack 1 and could recover homegroup. why service pack cause this?  need other solution to fix that. help!!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Ok.  We have been trying to tell you, that we have been trying to LEAVE the homegroup but get errors that the computer is unable to be removed.

How bout a real solution to this ongoing problem.

Friday, December 23, 2011 10:48 PM