none
Auto-hide taskbar won't stay on top

Question

• Is there a fix or a way to prevent the taskbar from not being always on top when it is minimized. The problem also occurs with XP. Basically my taskbar is minimized on the left of my screen and I have some windows maximized. Moving the mouse to the left won't open the taskbar. With Vista and Aero active, I can see the taskbar opening up but behind the active window.

Workaround: The only way to show the taskbar is to press the Windows key.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:12 AM

All replies

• hi ! i am lil bit confused that whether you want the taskbar to stay on top or not.. you can do this by simply right clicking on start and then going to properties and seclecting  keep the taskbar on top of other windows.. use it as you like check it on uncheck it..

well the other work around is to have a windows manager and use it to tweak your UI.. (sorry mods if this is not meant ot be said)

thank you

shantanu

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Hello,

That option has always been checked (both XP and Vista) but the taskbar won't always do it. On Vista there is currently a bug where if Windows Explorer's selection is the DVD-ROM drive and one removes the DVD, an error message shows up. I left that error message opened, I clicked on the Windows orb and the Start menu was showing under the taskbar. There are other times where the context menu of an icon from the notification area was shown behind the taskbar.

Pascal....

Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Amazing that this has been sitting here since 2007 with no answer. I also don't understand why Shantanu Kaushik would be confused, although the wording of the original problem description could have been better. So here's the problem, in my case with XP Home Edition:

On the Taskbar tab of the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, all 5 of the Taskbar Appearance options are checked. The taskbar is on the left of the screen and most of the time, when I move my mouse over to the left edge of the screen, the Taskbar appears as I am used to from Windows 2000, etc. However, sometimes, it won't appear; and I have determined that it actuall is appearing, but behind one or more open windows. Of course, if even one Window is maximized, it hides the Taskbar completely; however, if the Windows that are "hiding" it are not maximized, then I can see the part of the Taskbar that isn't hidden. If I then click on that visible part, the Taskbar is once again moved to the front. How long it stays there is anyone's guess.

So, whatever checking the appropriate box of the Taskbar settings tells Windows XP to do to keep the Taskbar on top when it appears, is either incorrect, or is somehow being superceeded by something else in the system.

Quite a few people appear to have the problem (if you search the Internet for it), but very few seem to be able to describe it so it's clear that something is happening that is not supposed to happen. The result is they get told to right-click the Taskbar, select Properties, and on the Taskbar tab check "Keep the Taskbar on top of other windows"...which they've already done.

The only thing I've found that might have cured the problem for someone is a VB script at
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    However, when I look at the VB script, I see that it deletes registry entries that don't even exist on my machine, and adds keys that don't exist on my machine (note a possible duplicate I flagged in [] brackets); and none of the key names mean much to me. I'm not inclined to make changes to my registry without knowing what they're supposed to do/how they work.

Here's the working part of that script from that site:
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU\"
    WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop\"

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\BarSize"

P1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\"

WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoBandCustomize", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoMovingBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoCloseDragDropBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSetTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD" [why is this duplicated below?]
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSaveSettings",0,"REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSetTaskbar",0,"REG_DWORD" [why is this duplicated above?]
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoActiveDesktop",0,"REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "ClassicShell",0,"REG_DWORD"

p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\"

WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoCloseDragDropBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
    WshShell.RegDelete p1 & "NoMovingBands"

p1 = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell"

WshShell.RegWrite p1, "explorer.exe", "REG_SZ"

p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\"
    WshShell.RegDelete p1 & "BarSize"
    WshShell.RegWrite p1, "Media Band", "REG_SZ"

• Edited by K.Lion Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:02 PM typo
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Your 'Hiding' It, that is the key! if you want it on top disable auto hide!
    Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:31 AM