none
Windows 7 Clean Install Forces Monitor "Out of Range"

Question

• When I boot with the install DVD in in the drive, I initially get the message: "Out of Range/H Freq 35 kHz/V Freq 87 HZ." After a while the screen self-corrects, and booting begins normally. I accept license and choose Custom Installation. After running for a while, the "Out of Range" message reappears again and doesn't go away. I can't move beyond here because I can't read the screen.

The monitor is a ViewSonic VP191b,  msg: V Freq outside of 60 - 75 range can harm monitor. Computer custom built (The Computer Place, tcponline.com) in 2004, ASUS motherboard P4SP-MX (Prescott; needs Knowledge Base download to install XP SP-2,) Intel P4 2.4A 533 FSB CPU. Originally purchased w/o operating system to experiment with LINUX. Both drives (40 GB & 250 GB) reformatted in order to install Windows 7.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hello,

According to your thread, I suspect that the issue might be display device driver related.

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:00 AM
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• When you get to the part where it says out of range........ turn your monitor off then back on.
    When it comes back on open display properties and have windows detect.
    • Proposed as answer by RJC131 Friday, July 31, 2009 5:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RetiredSpook Friday, July 31, 2009 7:21 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:49 PM
  • I tried the install again, and the "Out of Range" message appeared as usual. I turned the monitor off and then on. The message reappeared. The monitor controls were dead when the "Out of Range" message was displayed.

Shortly after this, the installation program took control of the monitor and the first screen appeared. I was able to use the monitor controls to access the monitor program, and the "Information" screen noted that the V Freq was 56.8, a little on the low side. There was nothing there that would allow me to modify these frequencies - that is apparently done by the O/S. It got as far as unpacking the files, which is fairly slow, and then the "Out of Range" message reappeared. And once again, the monitor control buttons were dead.

I bought two identical computers in 2004, one for experimenting with LINUX and I had XP Pro installed on the other one. There was a problem installing SP-2 when it came out. A little research showed that it was the "Prescott" on the motherboard that was causing the problem. Fortunately Microsoft had a patch for it: KB885626. After applying this to the O/S the SP-2 upgrade went smoothly. Just a suggestion, but is the W-7 RC installation compatible with Prescott?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hello,

According to your thread, I suspect that the issue might be display device driver related.

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:00 AM
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hi retiredspook
    Can you hook up a crt monitor to the computer until you get everything set up and running?
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:50 PM
  • This is not an upgrade, so I can't access anything on the system. The original download site said that the installation was only for a clean drive and not to be used as an upgrade. This may have been outdated, as an Upgrade option was offered when I started the install. I'm trying to install W7 on "clean" hard drives. The system formerly had LINUX on it and I cleaned it off and re-formatted the drives. I have to depend on the installation disk to identify hardware and install the correct drivers.

Retired Spook
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Afraid not. Those dinosaurs were sent to the recyclers a long time ago. All I have are flat panels.

Retired Spook
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Hello all,
    Just had the same problem with Windows 7 / Soyo LCD and Invidia onboard Graphics / Tech Support was no help

1. Started machine Press f8
    2. Enable Low Resolution mode start
    3. Open Display Properties and check hide resolutions not supported if not already checked
    4. Set screen resolution to something other than 1024x 768 (I went to a smaller resolution)
    5. Restarted
    6. Worked for me

• Proposed as answer by stef747 Friday, November 13, 2009 1:13 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Still no joy. You at least have to have Windows booting up to press F8. It never gets to that point because there is nothing on the hard drive. Whether the install disk is in the drive or I try booting with nothing in the drive, the "Out of Range" message comes up immediately. It's almost like something in non-volatile memory has been reset to send the wrong frequencies to the monitor.

It isn't the monitor. I run a second computer (identical with the problem computer) with XP Pro using that same monitor by using a KVM switch. The second computer works just fine. I am beginning to wonder if maybe I am having a hardware problem of sorts with the first computer. I used to be able to get the install disk to at least get started and now I can't even do that.

I appreciate all of your efforts. I am thinking about taking it back to the place where I bought it and having them install an OEM XP on it.

Retired Spook
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:32 PM