none
Upgrade Vista Home Premium 64 to Ultimate 64?

Question

•  

I just bought a new HP computer and it has Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed on it.  I have a full version of Ultimate 64 bit but the upgrade option is not lit up.  I want to know if I can buy an anytime upgrade or upgrade version to upgrade instead of clean install?  I dont want to lose my programs, files, etc.  I have read others who did a clean install and then their computers didnt run right and they had to resort back to the backup disks they created.

I have Ultimate on my other computers and I really need to run remote desktop on this new computer, which is my office work computer.  Any info is greatly appreciated

Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

If SP1 is pre-installed by your computer manufacturer on your system, it cannot be uninstalled even through using command prompt.

You may need to slipstream SP1 to Windows Vista.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:08 AM

All replies

•  Icewomanx64 wrote:

I just bought a new HP computer and it has Vista Home Premium 64 bit installed on it.  I have a full version of Ultimate 64 bit but the upgrade option is not lit up.  I want to know if I can buy an anytime upgrade or upgrade version to upgrade instead of clean install?  I dont want to lose my programs, files, etc.  I have read others who did a clean install and then their computers didnt run right and they had to resort back to the backup disks they created.

I have Ultimate on my other computers and I really need to run remote desktop on this new computer, which is my office work computer.  Any info is greatly appreciated

Hi

How were you starting the installation?

You should be able to perform an upgrade installation from the 64bit Home Premium to 64bit Ultimate without any problems. The Full version disk can perform an upgrade or a clean install. You do need to start the installation from within Vista.

Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a different 64-bit version of Windows Vista

You may decide to upgrade to a more feature-rich version of Windows Vista.

The following list shows the 64-bit to 64-bit upgrade paths that are available:

Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Premium

Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Business to Windows Vista Ultimate

After you purchase an upgrade Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:

On the computer that you want to upgrade, visit the following Web site to obtain the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

Back up the data by using the "Backup and Restore" feature in Windows Vista.

Insert the upgrade version DVD of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista while the current version of Windows Vista is running

Autorun will start the Windows Vista Setup program automatically, or you can manually run the setup.exe from the root of the DVD.

Complete the steps of the Windows Vista Setup program.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, November 10, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Thank you so much for the response.  I have my computer on and running.  Insert disk in the drive and attempted an install from there.  I have the option for a clean install only (The option to upgrade was not available to choose.) 

I tried to go online to utilize the upgrade advisor and the message I got was that it does not support 64-bit.  I am so totally confused.

The answer you gave me above says to do the following after purchasing an upgrade version.  I have a full version.  Do I need to purchase just the upgrade?

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:58 AM
  • From the sound of that, it seems (from what you said) that you're actually running a 32-bit OS currently.
    If that's the case, then, no, you can't do an in-place upgrade to Ultimate x64.

Could you post the output of systeminfo from a command prompt?
    Start > type cmd
    into the search box, hit <enter>
    Type systeminfo, <enter>
    Wait for it to complete.  Right-click the command window > select all > hit <enter>
    Contents are copied to your clipboard; paste into reply.
    Thanks.

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:00 AM
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\home>systeminfo

Host Name:                 SHEDEVIL
    OS Name:                   Microsoft® Windows VistaT Home Premium
    OS Version:                6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
    Registered Owner:          home
    Registered Organization:   Hewlett-Packard Company
    Product ID:                89583-OEM-7332157-00061
    Original Install Date:     10/06/2008, 4:10:16 PM
    System Boot Time:          07/11/2008, 1:59:15 AM
    System Manufacturer:       HP-Pavilion
    System Model:              KQ499AA-A2L m9360f
    System Type:               x64-based PC
    Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                               [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7 GenuineInt
    el ~2000 Mhz
    BIOS Version:              American Megatrends Inc. 5.23   , 21/04/2008
    Windows Directory:         C:\Windows
    System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    System Locale:             en-ca;English (Canada)
    Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)
    Time Zone:                 (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
    Total Physical Memory:     8,190 MB
    Available Physical Memory: 5,455 MB
    Page File: Max Size:       16,554 MB
    Page File: Available:      14,055 MB
    Page File: In Use:         2,499 MB
    Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys
    Domain:                    WORKGROUP
    Logon Server:              \\SHEDEVIL
    Hotfix(s):                 44 Hotfix(s) Installed.
                               [01]: {026C2636-B788-409C-B178-A7603289EC2A}
                               [02]: {1D94099C-2BBA-440E-BD5E-093BBDF8F028}
                               [03]: {5F7F6FFF-395D-480E-8450-64F385D82C5F}
                               [04]: {63193DF7-81DB-46C9-A908-06B2296AB87F}
                               [05]: {797AE457-BA17-4BBC-B501-25FB3A0103C7}
                               [06]: {8F375E11-4FD6-4B89-9E2B-A76D48B51E00}
                               [07]: {A7EDF974-1797-4886-8282-88CB21E6BDB8}
                               [08]: {5F7F6FFF-395D-480E-8450-64F385D82C5F}
                               [09]: {63193DF7-81DB-46C9-A908-06B2296AB87F}
                               [10]: {797AE457-BA17-4BBC-B501-25FB3A0103C7}
                               [11]: KB905866
                               [12]: KB935509
                               [13]: KB937287
                               [14]: KB938371
                               [15]: KB938464
                               [16]: KB947880
                               [17]: KB948590
                               [18]: KB950124
                               [19]: KB950125
                               [20]: KB950582
                               [21]: KB950762
                               [22]: KB950974
                               [23]: KB951066
                               [24]: KB951072
                               [25]: KB951376
                               [26]: KB951698
                               [27]: KB951978
                               [28]: KB952287
                               [29]: KB952709
                               [30]: KB953155
                               [31]: KB953733
                               [32]: KB954154
                               [33]: KB954211
                               [34]: KB954366
                               [35]: KB955020
                               [36]: KB955302
                               [37]: KB955519
                               [38]: KB956390
                               [39]: KB956391
                               [40]: KB956841
                               [41]: KB957095
                               [42]: KB957200
                               [43]: KB958644
                               [44]: 940157
    Network Card(s):           2 NIC(s) Installed.
                               [01]: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigab
    it Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
                                     Connection Name: Local Area Connection
                                     DHCP Enabled:    Yes
                                     DHCP Server:     192.168.0.1
                                     IP address(es)
                                     [01]: 192.168.0.198
                                     [02]: fe80::e9d1:41e2:c921:11ba
                               [02]: 802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter
                                     Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection

C:\Users\home>

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Hi

Go to Start, right click 'Computer' and select Properties from the menu.

In the resulting window, look in the 'System' section.

What does it show as 'System Type:" ?

The Systeminfo you posted shows that the computer is a 64bit system, but it does not show the architecture for the installed version of Vista. A 64bit computer can be running either the 32bit or 64bit version.

Let us know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

System____________________________________________________

Manufacturer:               Hewlett-Packard Company

Model:                          m9360f

Rating:                          5.9 Windows Experience Index

Processor:                     Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU  Q9300   2.50GHz

Memory (RAM):             8.00 GB

System type:                 64-bit Operating System

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  

Hi,

Does you Windows Vista 64bit full version disk include Service Pack 1 (SP1)?

If not, this can be an expected issue as SP1 has been installed on your system. You need to uninstall SP1 first.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Assuming that you don't have an install disc with SP1, an alternate method to what Tim suggested would be to build your own install disc that does have SP1.
    vLite is quite useful for this (as well as other things.  I'd suggest, however, not pulling a Little Red Riding Hood thru all of the advanced options on your first time, and using the program to just simply build an install disc that does have SP1 integrated.)
    I've used its older brother (nLite) to build many an updated (and, sometimes, customized) XP install disc, and it does work quite nicely.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Thank you so much.  I am going to try and uninstall SP1.  I looked in Programs and Features and it is not there to uninstall so I will assume it came installed from the factory.

I will follow alternate directions to uninstall from command prompt.  I will get back to you as soon as I give all of that a try.  I really appreciate all of the help and quick responses.

Cheers

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:55 AM
  •  

Hi,

If SP1 is pre-installed by your computer manufacturer on your system, it cannot be uninstalled even through using command prompt.

You may need to slipstream SP1 to Windows Vista.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:08 AM
  • Step one is NO GOOD for 64-bit Vista. Advisor only works on 32-bit machines. I have not found an advisor for 64-bit. Help anyone???

Peace,

FLOW

Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:44 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  Try to upgrade to Ultimate, but "Upgrade" is not an option, only "Clean Install."  I am curious if anyone has had success in doing this and how it was accomplished.  Step by step would be appreciated. 

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:52 PM
  • @ Flow:  you're correct.  The Vista Upgrade Advisor is 32-bit only (in other words, it doesn't work in a 64-bit OS.)

@ Can't Upgrade:  are you trying to upgrade by booting from the DVD, or from within Windows?
    Are you currently running a 32-bit or 64-bit version, and which (32- or 64-bit) are you trying to upgrade to?

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:26 PM
  • I am trying to boot from within Windows itself.  I am currently running Vista Home Premium 64bit.  I run from within windows the setup program and "upgrade" is not a clickable option. 

I have also looked at the Upgrade Anytime option, and it does not list upgrading as an option at all. 

I have tried disabling MS.NET and a few other options, still not available to upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64bit from Home Premium 64bit.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Can't Upgrade

Are you experiencing the same issue with Service Pack 1 that was discussed earlier in this thread?

If your current Home Premium 64 bit installation has SP1 installed and the Ultimate 64bit Upgrade disk you are using does not include Service Pack 1, you will not be able to use that disk to perform an upgrade.

In this case, your only options are to remove Service Pack 1 from the current installation or to perform a clean install.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:45 PM
  • My current home Premium edition does have SP1.  Two questions then:  1)How do I uninstall SP1 from a preinstalled computer or 2)listed through the threads was scant discussion of using vLite to merge SP1 with my Vista Ultimate installation disc, how do I go about doing this?  Or should I just assume my Vista Ultimate is not going to be used unless I want to delete everything on my current hard drive?

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Can't Upgrade:
    It depends on how SP1 was installed.  If it was installed after the operating system was installed (not likely for an OEM machine), then it'll be listed in Windows Update > view installed updates.
    However, if it was integrated into the installation (e.g. it was installed from a Vista SP1 image), then it (SP1) cannot be removed.

vLite is very, very simple to use. 
    Quick runthru:  install the program.  Download the Vista (x64) SP1 full installer from this page, and save it to your desktop.
    Launch vLite.  The first screen will ask for the installation source.  Insert your Vista DVD, and point vLite at it.
    Click your way thru (changing nothing!), until you get to 'integrate service packs and hotfixes.'  Point that screen at the SP1 installer.  Continue to follow the prompts, until you get to the end.  Click 'build ISO.'
    Leave the system alone at this point, until vLite has completed the job.
    Burn the resulting ISO with your disc-burning app of choice (note:  you'll want to select 'burn disc image or saved project.')
    You've now built a Vista SP1 installation disc.

HTH,
    Chris

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hi Everyone;  Well I tried to vlite my disk with SP1 and it kept giving me an error @ half way through.  So no luck there.  After all of this, I have decided to do a clean install with XP.  I am so tired of all of this.  Having a computer and upgrading software should not be this frustrating.  Also I am out the money I spent on the Vista Ultimate I bought.  Good Luck to everyone else and thank you so much for all of your suggestions etc.

Cheers

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:10 PM
  • I am having the same DANG issue and I am not planning on doing a completley new install.. I don't have a disk to reinstall everything.. Microsoft just needs to own up and resolve my issue or reimburse me.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Chris:

I recently submitted a question to the Windows Vista Setup Forum entitled "Windows Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade will not Upgrade, it wants to perform a Clean Install."

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4833 (laptop) with Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium already installed.  I ordered the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate for the advanced security features from the website active at the time.  After finally getting from Microsoft a version that included 64-bit product, I get the following:

At the point where the installation routine asks, "What type of installation do you want?", and my choices should be "Upgrade" or "Clean Install", the "Upgrade" choice is greyed-out, and not available.

At the bottom of the screen I get:

"Upgrade has been disabled.

- The Upgrade cannot be started.  To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are already running."

Which makes no sense, because the Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade I purchased IS more recent than the version I am running.  Except for Service Packs.

I am going to guess that Service Packs are the culprit.  I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 installed on my laptop, applied by using Microsoft Update.

The DVD I have for 64-bit Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade is SP1.

I think I am going to have to make a installation share point on a server computer on my home network for Vista Ultimate SP1 and then slipstream SP2 to this install share.  Then perform the upgrade over the network to my laptop.

Anybody think this will work?

Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Ronnie:

Reading through these posts, though dated, indicates to me that there are many of us who purchased the Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate in good faith, yet we were never able to get the dang thing installed.  I purchased mine sometime in 2008.

In  my case, the 64-bit version was NOT included in the first package I received, despite assurances to the contrary on the web site at the time.  I had to use my "Free Telephone Tech Support for One Year" to get a replacement package which included x64.  The rep was dumbfounded that a x64 DVD was not in my original package, but he did send me a repalcement.

When I tried to run the upgrade, the Upgrade option was greyed out, and not available.  Only a Clean Install can be performed.  The message is:

"Upgrade has been disabled."

"- The Upgrade cannot be started.  To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are already running."

More delays.  Some research on the Vista Setup Forum indicates it may be due to my security suite.  I wait until a convenient time to uninstall my security apps before renewing.  Still no luck, no Upgrade available.

Finally, I gather from much research on Forums that the true culprit is Service Packs.  I faithfully kept my machine updated with Microsoft Update, so I have SP2 on my Home Premium setup.  My x64 Anytime Upgrade DVD has SP1.  Can't upgrade from SP2 to SP1.

More research on Forums and ensuing delays.  Forums say to uninstall the current SP2 in order to use the Ultimate Anytime Upgrade SP1.  Some posts say that they have done this and still can't get it to run.  In any case I don't want to risk undoing SP2 on my machine.

Is it not possible for Microsoft to provide me with me yet another replacement Vista x64 Ultimate DVD with SP2 already applied, that will have an Upgrade option that is not disabled?  This seems only fair to me, now that I have (hopefully) finally determined the cause of the unavailable Upgrade option.

It makes no difference that the Vista Anytime Upgrade is not generally available at this time.

Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Carey:

This answer is a non-starter, since I have already paid Microsoft for a perfectly good upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64.  All I need Microsoft to do now is provide me replacement media which includes SP2.  This should be a small matter.

Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Try the following link for contact information: How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software
    Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by NavyFlyer1325 Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:52 PM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Carey:

The link you provided was fruitful, thanks.

I was able to order what was promoted as "Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit/64-bit English Sup Direct DVD Fulfillment Part # 66R-03290" for a nominal fee of $9.95.

After I receive it in about 10 days or so, I will let you know how it works.  Or doesn't.

Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Magon Liu, Carey Frisch:

The link you provided above gave a partial answer to my problem.  I was able to order replacement media for my Anytime Upgrade, for a nominal fee, which contained Vista x64 Ultimate SP2, as noted in my post below.  This eliminated the problem with the Upgrade being disabled due to difference in Service Packs.  The Upgrade option was available, instead of only the Clean Install being available.

However, a new problem has presented itself.  After choosing the Upgrade and providing the required inputs, and waiting 3-4 hours for the unattended processes to complete, I find that my machine still has Vista Home Premium installed.  Albeit, a nice, fresh copy.  But all (OK, most) of my settings remained in place, and all my apps are still installed.  The result was the same after two tries at the Upgrade. 

The first was attempted after performing all the Clean Boot recommendations, to include Disk Cleanup, Scan Disk, taking the machine off the network, disabling my Norton 360, disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, choosing No Automated Updates, and No Automated Activation.

The second attempt was completely automated, no attempt to disable anything, no Clean Boot, all updates and activation automated.  Machine connected to the network.  The result was completely the same, again.

I have read many other forum threads about driver conflicts preventing the Upgrade from completing properly, but I have not yet found a boot log or install log to trace out the point of failure.  Any ideas in this vein, or any others, which might keep the Upgrade from completing properly, leaving a fresh copy of the original OS in place?

Cheers, Navy Flyer
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:54 PM