none
JMicron JMB36x problems

Question

• The JMB36x RAID Configurer gives "JMB386x Raid Device note found" and also I get and eventlog message when the raid is accessed after the disks have spun down following the 20 minutes timeout. The eventlog message is:

The driver for device \Device\Scsi\JRAID1 detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity. All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition.

Neither of these error happened on the Beta (nor Vista) only on the RC.

I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with i920 at 3.20GHz 6GB memory running 64bit version. 

Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:25 AM

Answers

• A quick follow up to my post above.

A few days ago I installed the latest BIOS for my Gigabyte P35-DQ6 motherboard (I updated from F9beta to F9).  This seems to have fixed the JMicron problem and Win7 seems to be completely stable on my system now!  Interestingly, the F9 BIOS still reports that the JMicron BIOS number is 1.06.59.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:42 AM

All replies

• I have exactly the same issue. Same Mobo same chip. Tried all Bios's for the board and all drivers that could be found and still that same issue. Tried setting ports as both IDE and ACHI and still the same problem.

Its also causing my drives to want to be checked every so many reboots aswell.

It seems like the OS is not giving the drive long enough to spin up before it goes for the data.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:24 AM
  • same here.
    i own a GA-P35-DS3R with jmicron sata chip.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:39 AM
  • I have been in contact with JMicron since my last post and a kind sir from them Mr Chi-Tai-Wu is investigating.

I e-mailed fae@jmicron.com which is listed as support contact on thier site.

Might be worth you dropping them a line as the board is different to ours. Least they will know it happening on other boards.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:46 AM
  • can you all type your jmicron bios version here please?
    its shown directly after the normal BIOS screens.
    so we can eventualy see which bios version is NOT affected, if there is one.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:59 AM
  • Yep, Jmicron Bios version on my EX58-UD5 (giga-byte bios f8b) is 1.06.59 and JMicron driver version is 1.17.48.12

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:34 PM
  • EX58- UD5 Gigabyte BIOS F7 cannot see the Jmicron BIOS but drive is also 1.17.48.12
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:44 AM
  • I have encountered similar issues with a Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 (albeit with an older JMicron Driver 1.17.42.8).
    I have started encountering another issue with the Gigabyte build of the JMicron RAID controller driver (Gigabytes wrapper around the JMicron Driver), it could be related to Windows Vista SP2 - the xRAIDSetup.exe won't run on my Windows Vista x64 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2 - I have been chasing Gigabyte for a week now for them to test that their software works with my Motherboard and Vista x64 and SP2 (I think it has broken due to a fix in SP2?).

They have asked me for a number of screen shots but so far no fix!

I'm refraining from installing the latest 'JMicron' Driver as it may also require a BIOS update - which should be done as part of the Gigabyte Bios update I would think.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:07 PM
  • I'm experiencing this exact same problem on the Windows 7 RC1 64-bit release.  My tech details:

mobo: Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    ram: 2GB DDR2 Crucial Ballistix
    CPU: Quad core Xeon CPU X3210
    JMicron bios: 1.06.59
    I've tried both the R1.17.47WHQL_WIN7 drivers and the latest 1.17.48.16 drivers
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:35 PM
  • A quick follow up to my post above.

A few days ago I installed the latest BIOS for my Gigabyte P35-DQ6 motherboard (I updated from F9beta to F9).  This seems to have fixed the JMicron problem and Win7 seems to be completely stable on my system now!  Interestingly, the F9 BIOS still reports that the JMicron BIOS number is 1.06.59.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:42 AM
  • Hi,
     I've the same issue with that JMicron Raid Controller.

My Motherboard is: Asus P6T
     I tried sooo many things to fix that Hangup driver faillure (WinXP x64 - WinVista x64 - Win7 x64) None of them fix the problem. I tried all possible drivers availible from JMicron.com. I contacted them, and they never fixed that bug. The problem happen only when you do some big Hdd move, compression, copy... etc. It's ____ boring. I did upgrade my P6T bios, to the new one, still the same issue.

But I've less problem with Win7 x64.

If some1 have a fix for that shitty controller I would take it :)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Same problem here.  The JMicron driver is stale as ____ (December last year).  And it continually tells my bittorrent that the drive has "write" locked down.  Wrong.  Asus Rampage Formula, 8 gig crucial, most current bios, all updates on everything that moves.   And many times when I try to write to my 3 gig external connected to the lame RC-212 JMB36x RAID controller, using Windows 7 RC, I cannot write and am locked out of my own drive.

If anybody knows of an SATA controller with at least one external, and one internal connection, for $50 or less, I'd JUMP at the opp to throw the POS JMicron in the trash.  The only SATA external controllers I know who "claim" to work with windows 7, and have current drivers, are filthy expensive.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Just a quick update to say that I've just emailed Gigabyte to ask if they can produce a new BIOS for the GA-P35-DQ6 to include the latest firmware for the JMicron controller.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Hi, I had a lot of trouble with the JMicron controller but with Win7, the defaut driver for that controller seems to be working well. I'Ve just updated it for the 1.17.55 Jmicron driver, to see if my old problem are comming back.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:13 PM