none
Windows 8 - Microsoft Account Requirements & The Enterprise.

Question

• I asked this previously and received no meaningful reply.

Now that Windows 8 is getting some use, how are businesses handling the requirement of Microsoft Accounts to use basically any of the Touch Functionality available? We're trialing tablets including some with Windows 8 and this issue which I saw coming has arisen.

Are MS expecting their partners to create an MS account for every Windows 8 user? What if we put it on every PC? Hundreds of accounts just to setup where I work...

Or is there a process for businesses to not have this ridiculous requirement?

Again, input from other partners and how they're handling this would be helpful. So far all attempts to find information on this are leading to dead ends - I can't figure why other people aren't asking this, unless no one else in a business is running Windows 8.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• You could enforce your user to connect to domain and they don't need to create Microsoft Account. (Make sure the edition of Windows 8 supports join domain).

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Hi Cyber_Defend_Team

That's not my issue. The issue is to use any of the Touch Apps or Features IE Mail or Remote Desktop Windows 8 requires a Microsoft Account to even open the application. So I have hundreds of users. What do Microsoft expect us partners to do?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:40 PM
  • I suggest you contact tablet PC support.

http://support.microsoft.com/find-solutions/more/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Arthur

My question is not specific to tablets or PCs or anything, it's a general question regarding the Microsoft Account requirements. Imagine I have 100 PCs if that makes you feel better.

I can login to the device as a Domain User - THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue is to say access the Mail App, or access the Market to then download the touch Remote Desktop I require a Microsoft Account. How do Microsoft suggest I handle that requirement in business with hundreds or thousands of users?

I'm really trying to uselessly (obviously) point out the ridiculousness of this entire platform for business - Windows 8 is USELESS on a desktop or laptop without Touch, and then in a business situation I cannot feasibly use the touch apps because Microsoft require a MS account for every single user account.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:52 AM
  • I'm starting to test Windows8 on our network (around 300 clients) and come across the issue of having to have a Microsoft account just to access the provided Mail app, I don't understand why that would be a requirement?
    Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Arthur can you please advise...
    Monday, March 04, 2013 3:16 AM
  • You only require a Microsoft account to use the Communications apps and the Store. Junk the Communications apps until they fix this absurd decision. You can use IE and other built-in apps without one.

Monday, March 04, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Still waiting on an answer from MS on this.

Do you expect us to setup and manage manually hundreds of Microsoft Accounts? Can you please give an explanation - not leave your PARTNERS in the dark over this.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Totally agreed with Allister, Microsoft Accounts is good for personal use as it can link all "Your" social live together. But I don't think it is a good idea to let all users join the domain account/email to Microsoft Accounts.

We will need:

Mail = MS outlook

People = Address book in exchange

Message = MS Lync/Cisco Jabber …

Calendar = Calendar in outlook

And for apps of Photos, Weather, Store, Maps, SkyDrive, user/admin should be able to define the destination/target folder.

• Proposed as answer by devilgas Friday, March 29, 2013 5:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Allister Wade Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:15 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Still waiting on an answer here. Still nothing. I can't fathom the idiocy there at MS some days.

There are ways to work around this - but MS are really screwing over their partners. A vanilla Windows 8 install has all these apps preinstalled that can't be used without a MS Account. I can't download or install the one app that we want (Touch Remote Desktop) without a MS Account.

Where is the information for removing those preinstalled apps from a Windows 8 image?

Where is the documentation or recommendations for managing HUNDREDS of MS accounts?

What's the point of getting touch devices in an enterprise environment if MS don't allow you to use ANY of required touch apps without an MS account for every user? I am so frustrated that I'm not getting any answers to simple question, I don't know why I'm not seeing anyone else ask these questions - is there something I'm missing or some other info I'm not finding????

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:05 PM
    • Proposed as answer by devilgas Friday, March 29, 2013 5:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Allister Wade Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:15 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:35 PM
  • My question is:

Where is the documentation or recommendations for managing HUNDREDS of MS accounts?

Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:16 PM
  • I agree with Allister, how is Windows 8 supposed to work in the enterprise?  All of our users already have a domain account.  What is the underlying necessity of requiring a Microsoft account to use the Mail app?  We want to connect it to Exchange, which can only be done after adding a Microsoft account.

A Windows 8 Pro device joined to a domain should remove the Microsoft Account requirement.

Friday, April 05, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Allister,

I believe the solution you are looking for is to setup a MS Federation Server.  With some configuration, you can then use your domain account instead of a MS account to configure those features.

Friday, April 05, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Connor - can you please elaborate as searching AD FS and Microsoft Account or similar is leading no where for me.
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:42 PM
  • this may help: http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/sso/default.aspx
    although I suspect it is more applicable to federating for O365 purposes..
    an MS guy we had onsite recently, suggested that the federation options for O365 aren't re-useable for the Windows Store, at the moment..

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, April 07, 2013 12:02 AM
    Sunday, April 07, 2013 12:00 AM
  • You only need a Microsoft account to use the App Store or the built-in apps such as Mail, Calendar, People etc. In a corporate environment the PC will be domain joined. In GPO you can chose to allow or disallow linking of Microsoft accounts with their domain account or block access to the store. Microsoft accounts and the App Store are designed around consumer and BYOD. The exception is onmicrosoft.com accounts. These are created when an organisation signs up for Office 365 or other MS online services. You can manage these from your Office 365 admin portal for all users.

In a corporate environment, the assumption is that the PC will be domain joined and users will use Office Outlook for managing mail, calendar and people. IT administrators will be able to side-load apps for users to download and install on their Windows 8 machines.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:06 PM
  • You only need a Microsoft account to use the App Store or the built-in apps such as Mail, Calendar, People etc. In a corporate environment the PC will be domain joined. In GPO you can chose to allow or disallow linking of Microsoft accounts with their domain account or block access to the store. Microsoft accounts and the App Store are designed around consumer and BYOD. The exception is onmicrosoft.com accounts. These are created when an organisation signs up for Office 365 or other MS online services. You can manage these from your Office 365 admin portal for all users.

In a corporate environment, the assumption is that the PC will be domain joined and users will use Office Outlook for managing mail, calendar and people. IT administrators will be able to side-load apps for users to download and install on their Windows 8 machines.

PMLIO, can you, (or someone else) list the specific domain policy to prevent associating a MS Account with your Active Diretory Domain accounts?

I looked and cannot initially find this, but we are definately interested in not allowing users to "associate" a Microsoft Account with their domain account.  We see a potential problem for when that users leaves our enterprise and their domain account is still associated with a Microsoft Account.

• Edited by KHHemmelman Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:35 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:34 PM
  • I asked this previously and received no meaningful reply.

Now that Windows 8 is getting some use, how are businesses handling the requirement of Microsoft Accounts to use basically any of the Touch Functionality available? We're trialing tablets including some with Windows 8 and this issue which I saw coming has arisen.

Are MS expecting their partners to create an MS account for every Windows 8 user? What if we put it on every PC? Hundreds of accounts just to setup where I work...

Or is there a process for businesses to not have this ridiculous requirement?

Again, input from other partners and how they're handling this would be helpful. So far all attempts to find information on this are leading to dead ends - I can't figure why other people aren't asking this, unless no one else in a business is running Windows 8.

I have the same exact concern/question as Allister.  I know we can shut off certain tiles that require a Microsoft account using GPO or otherwise manage it to a point where the user wouldn't have access to Modern UI apps that have this requirement.  But as my company increases use of Windows 8, I've been asked to find an answer on this and I have also come up empty on obtaining an official reply.

Based on what I've read in this thread though it sounds like an Enterprise is supposed to block all access to these apps that would be considered for "consumer" use only.  If that's the case, I'd like to see an official reply from  Microsoft on this matter. 

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:42 PM
  • @KHHemmelman - check this out: http://sdmsoftware.com/group-policy/windows-8-group-policy-settings-blocking-connected-accounts/

there are a few others which may be worth considering:

GP in Win8 can manage access to the Windows Store
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh832040.aspx#BKMK_TurnOnOff

GP TechCentre
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/windowsserver/bb310732

GP settings reference spreadsheets
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=18c90c80-8b0a-4906-a4f5-ff24cc2030fb&displaylang=en

WindowsServer2012andWindows8GroupPolicySettings.xlsx
    -  Turn off the Store application
    -  Allow Store to install apps on Windows To Go workspaces
    -  Turn off Automatic Download of updates
    -  User management of sharing user name, account picture, and domain information with apps (not desktop apps)
    -  Prevent users from uninstalling applications from Start
    -  Turn off access to the Store

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Hi all,

i've been drawn to these boards for the same reason as Allister. He is quite obviously frustrated as i think many are, and justifiably so too.

For me, i'm trying to deploy 30x WP8 handsets as opposed to desktops (so domain accounts are not considered here), but we are presented with the same problem. The phones can't properly function without the user logging into a MS account. For me that means creating 30 accounts (nowhere near as many as some organisations btw).

I want our users to be able to backup to skydrive as well as connect with Exchange and contacts, so the MS account is required.

MS have really screwed the pooch with this one.

There surely has to be some semi-intelligent way of working around this, otherwise how could they ever tout these devices for enterprise use.

A single 'enterprise-grade' account is what i'd expect to see (with extensive config options). I'm not sure how it could/should work as i'm not the expert, but then i'm not fleecing my customers, whilst NOT developing the appropriate platform for these damned things to work effectively.

Please MS......sort it out!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:19 PM
  • For Windows Phone, let the user use their own Microsoft account as the primary account, and add any Exchange accounts secondary.

This avoids having you to manage MS accounts, allows the user to personalize the phone while still being under control of the Exchange account policy (and company apps if you've taken advantage of that feature). When the phone is returned, the phone is reset and given to another employee.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:18 PM
  • I've the same concern as you do and so far I've also found no answer to this "simple" question.

I'm investigating the implementation of Windows 8 Pro based tablets in my employees domain-based network. Unfortunately we need a Microsoft Account to configure the mail, calendar and people app to connect to our Exchange server.

If you have an answer or solution to share I would like to hear it from you. I'll do some searching myself and when I find something I'll certainly let you know.

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:22 AM
  • i am in the same boat as to what to do with managing microsoft accounts for these win8 devices
    Friday, November 15, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Has anyone come up with a good answer to this?

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

If this post was helpful, please click the little "Vote as Helpful" button :)

Trevor Sullivan
    Trevor Sullivan's Tech Room
    Twitter Profile

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:05 PM
  • Its no longer a requirement with Windows 8.1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/pauljones/archive/2013/10/07/windows-8-1-mail-app-without-microsoft-account.aspx

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:00 PM