none
Windows Live Movie Maker - black screen in preview and after render

Question

• I have a client with a Windows 7 Pro x64 box that is a new install. We updated the OS, installed Office Professional Plus 2010 (x32), and a few other productivity things he uses for work. Another thing he uses is Windows Live Movie Maker. WLMM installed fine, and seems to run fine, but media just shows up as a black tile in the preview. I've tried rendering a video, just to see, and it also renders as a black tile. Sound is fine.

This problem happened on the system before the fresh install but I couldn't figure out why. We were planning on re-installing anyway, so we just left it. Because of this, I think the problem may be related to the hardware. The video file we're working with opens fine in another Win7x64 machine running WLMM.

Hardware:

MSI H67M-ED65 Mobo w/ Core i3 540

16GB Corsair RAM

120GB OCZ Vertex 3

Zotac GeForce GT 520

I've tried checking if others running the video card are having the same problem, but came up short there. I may pull the card, and run the integrated graphics to see what happens. If I do, I'll post results. Anyone else have any ideas? I can post a list of installed software or a DXDIAG output if anyone things it will help.

Friday, February 03, 2012 7:00 PM

Answers