none
Windows 7 and USB Drive Problems

Question

• I am running Windows 7, build 7600. I have a Dell Lattitude D630. I have a Cruzer USB drive and multiple other external hard drives that do not show up in My Computer. When I go to disk management, I see the drive but it has no letter assigned to it. When I try to manually assign a drive letter I get the following error:

"The operation failed to complete because Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart computer."

None of those things work. Also, if I run diskpart and list volume, I dont see the drive there either.

The only goofy thing in Device Manager is an entire tree of "Unknown" devices that all "Installed Successfully."  If I uninstall each of them and reboot, they all reinstall with drivers found on the computer. Dell has no Windows 7 drivers for the chipset. You would think that if this was a driver problem, you wouldnt even see the drive in device manager.

I am stumped!

-Craig
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

I agree with you that the issue is not a simply driver issue. However, since the error message indicated that “Disk Management console view is not up-to-date”, it is still suggested referring to the following site and download the BIOS update for Dell Lattitude D630.

BIOS update for Dell Lattitude D630

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=BIOSA&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LATITUDE+D630&hidos=BIOSA&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

In addition, it is recommended contacting Dell Support to confirm if any chipset drivers will be available.

After that, if the issue persists, please try to connect the USB drives to other working systems such as Windows XP, Vista and copy the files that are saved on USB drives to XP or Vista as a backup. And then re-connect the USB devices to Windows 7, format it and check the issue.

If possible, please
    collect the system inforamtion and then upload the zipped file to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing.

System Information
    ==============
    The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the "Start" Button, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save. Then, send the file to a zipped file.

Monday, November 30, 2009 7:01 AM
  • I already have the most recent BIOS, A16.

I will contact Dell to find out if there will be an updated chipset for my laptop but I am not optimistic.

I have uploaded my information for you http://cid-9a182987fd1e808d.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/msinfo.zip

Thanks,
    Craig
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 12:36 AM
  • I am running Windows 7, build 7600. I have a Dell Lattitude D630. I have a Cruzer USB drive and multiple other external hard drives that do not show up in My Computer. When I go to disk management, I see the drive but it has no letter assigned to it. When I try to manually assign a drive letter I get the following error:

"The operation failed to complete because Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart computer."

None of those things work. Also, if I run diskpart and list volume, I dont see the drive there either.

The only goofy thing in Device Manager is an entire tree of "Unknown" devices that all "Installed Successfully."  If I uninstall each of them and reboot, they all reinstall with drivers found on the computer. Dell has no Windows 7 drivers for the chipset. You would think that if this was a driver problem, you wouldnt even see the drive in device manager.

I am stumped!

-Craig

Hi,

The issue can be caused by corrupted or imcomplete drive information. You can try:
    1. Test those drive on another PC, are they become accessible? If so, please backup/copy data to another PC and re-formant it on this computer.
    2. If method 1 did not work, you can try to use certain recovery program to recover the partition information. E.g. GetDataBack or TestDisk

Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I am able to format and use the drive on other computers.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Dell says my machine is supported by Windows 7.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=79D043E4DCE7A2EAE040AE0AB6E1154B&docid=364734

Their phone support was worthless, told me to reinstall Windows 7.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:09 PM
  • I am able to format and use the drive on other computers.

can you formant and use the drive on this (Windows 7) computer?
    Friday, December 04, 2009 1:16 AM
  • No, that is why I opened this forum post.

Friday, December 04, 2009 3:29 PM
  • The problem is the U3 version on the USB stick.  There is an update on the Sandisk site which is supposedly Windows 7 compatible.

I have tried it once but it didn't update the version on my USB stick that I have.  I will have to try it again with the wipe option.

-Jonathan

Friday, October 22, 2010 3:35 AM
  • i have 2 partitions 250gb each,i can access one partition,while i try to assign drive letter for the second partition the error shows
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:40 AM