none
Dvd drive disappears when no disk is inserted

Question

• hi,
    i updated the firmware of my slot loading GS20N dvd drive to be compatible with W7
    and now the drive does not appear in explorer or the system when no disc is present in the drive
    i find this very annoying cause other programs (VM) depend on the drive being present...
    also i don't like that i can't see my drive even when it is empty

so i guess this is a feature that can be turned off somehow, only the how i don't know..
    can anyone help with this?

tia,
    marc
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• hi Linda,
    weird, i didn't got any notification of this post
    so....

this issue didn't occur before installing the new firmware so it is safely to assume that the firmware is to blame :), can't use system restore since it is firmware, so i guess i could downgrade...
    now the drive is listed in disk management AND also when you look at the computer level in explorere, but not listed in the tree...
    so after all, i guess this is a new feature of W7?
    the drive is accessible when a disk is inserted, it isn't just listed right away...
    thx!
    • Marked as answer by DrWhoIs007 Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:36 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Hi DrWhoIs007,

One of my colleagues has the same issue. The issue occurs in his DVD-ROM. However, it does not occur in his DVD-RW. Based on our research, this shall be a hardware issue rather than Windows 7. Since the issue did not occur before upgrading the firmware, you can try downgrade to check this issue. :-)

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, September 28, 2009 1:18 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• This typically does not apply to DVD drives but there is an option to hide empty removable drives from view.
    Select Folder options, View, then uncheck hide empty drives in Computer folder. I'm not sure if this is your problem but it wouldn't hurt to check.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:10 PM
  • yes i already checked that, it wasn't checked..
    if i look at the computer level the drive is listed but not in the tree on the left side...
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi DrWhoIs007,

I found many other users having issues with GS20N DVD-RW in Windows 7 from the internet. It is possible the DVD drive is not fully compatible with Windows 7. Did you install the DVD firmware from HERE? If so, you may need to contact Dell directly to check this issue.

In addition, did the issue occur before installing this update from Dell? If not, we can simply restore the system to the time before installing the update using System Restore to check the result.

Also, is the DVD drive displayed in Disk Management? (To access Disk Management, please go to Start, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search box and then press Enter.)

In the meantime, let's try the suggestions below:

Please reload DVD-RW drive from Device Manager to check the result. To do this, please refer to the steps below:

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Search box and then press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer. Does the DVD-ROM work properly now?

If the issue persists, please see if the issue occurs in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up). If the issue still exists in Safe Mode, this issue shall be caused by hardware compatibility. Please contact the DVD drive manufacturer directly.

However, if the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, it can be related to the filter driver. Let's modify the registry key by the steps below to check the result.

Modify the Registry

=============

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search", press Enter, right click Regedit.exe and then click "Run as administrator".

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:53 AM
  • hi Linda,
    weird, i didn't got any notification of this post
    so....

this issue didn't occur before installing the new firmware so it is safely to assume that the firmware is to blame :), can't use system restore since it is firmware, so i guess i could downgrade...
    now the drive is listed in disk management AND also when you look at the computer level in explorere, but not listed in the tree...
    so after all, i guess this is a new feature of W7?
    the drive is accessible when a disk is inserted, it isn't just listed right away...
    thx!
    • Marked as answer by DrWhoIs007 Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:36 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Hi DrWhoIs007,

One of my colleagues has the same issue. The issue occurs in his DVD-ROM. However, it does not occur in his DVD-RW. Based on our research, this shall be a hardware issue rather than Windows 7. Since the issue did not occur before upgrading the firmware, you can try downgrade to check this issue. :-)

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, September 28, 2009 1:18 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:05 AM
  • oh i'm sure if i downgrade the disk will be present all the time :)
    but since i can access it, i do not feel the need anylonger :)
    i guess this is a new feature of W7
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:50 AM
  • In Windows 7 empty DVD drives are not shown in the Navigation Pane by default.  (You may not have noticed this before your firmware update.)  The only way I've found to show empty DVD drives in the tree is to select from the menu Tools, Folder Options.  On the General tab notice the Show All Folders checkbox in the Navigation Pane section.  If this is not checked then, no, you won't see empty DVD drives in the tree.  Check it and you will.

In Windows 8 there's a button on the ribbon above the navigation pane which allows you to tick the checkbox.

I noticed this too, and in my opinion it makes for a navigation pain, (hence the term navigation pane)....

@DrWhols007, I think you may not have noticed this before you did your firmware upgrade.  Yes, it's a feature not bug.

If you find this to be helpful click the green up arrow.

Thank you.

• Proposed as answer by adh80h Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:35 PM
    • Edited by adh80h Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:34 PM