none
Windows 7 frequent 'Not Responding' on applications seems tied to antivirus live scanning (multiple antivirus programs)

Question

• Pardon the cross post, I mistakenly put this in a Vista forum first.

Recently I have started having programs exhibit 'Not Responding' episodes (program becomes unresponsive for 3-30 seconds and that displays in the title bar) that have been widely reported here.  I've noticed these problems mostly in Firefox and Thunderbird.  In Firefox, I will be using the mouse wheel to scroll down a long page, and the browser will pause randomly as I move down the page.  If I click try to access the window, I see the 'Not Responding' in the title bar, and the cursor shows the 'wait' circle.  Then it recovers and operates normally.

I am using Windows 7 Ultra 64.  My system specs are as follows:
    Desktop system
    Intel Quad core
    8 Gigs of memory
    ASUS moterboard

Also note that I have used this system for well over a year with the same hardware configuration under Windows XP and never had any issues.

I had installed Windows 7 on this system several weeks back and it has been working fine, not exhibiting any hint of 'Not Responding' problems.  I HAD NOT gotten to the point where I installed an antivirus program during that period.  A few days ago I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and I first started experiencing the issue.  I reverted back to a drive image I had made before the installation of the antivirus and the problem went away.  I spent a day or so without antivirus again, and the issue did not reappear.  I decided to try a different antivirus, and installed Avira AntiVir.  Low and behold, the problem immediately reappeared.  I disabled the AntiVir Guard live checking function and the problem seems to have gone away again.  It seems to me as if Windows 7 is causing these 'Not Responding' stalls based on its interaction with the live antivirus checking.  Can anyone confirm this?  Note it might not be enough to disable the antivirus, it seems to help with AntiVir but did not help with MS Security Essentials (problem persisted).

-Jim Heck
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

start the Resource Monitor and look under CPU tab. All non responding applications are shown in red . Select it and make a right click nad select "Analyze Proces". What doe WCT shows you? Why are they hanging?

André
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Since this issue only happens when using antivirus program, it seems that the add-ons of Firefox and Thunderbird conflict with the antivirus program.

I would like to suggest you uninstall the add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird to check the issue.

For more information about how to uninstall the add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird, please refer to the following link:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Uninstall_Extensions

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:44 AM

• I would like to suggest you uninstall the add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird to check the issue.

I have no specific add-ons for Firefox or Thunderbird.  Both are plain vanilla installations with nothing extra added.  The versions are as follows:

Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Thunderbird Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204 Thunderbird/3.0

-Jim
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Hi Jim,

start the Resource Monitor and look under CPU tab. All non responding applications are shown in red . Select it and make a right click nad select "Analyze Proces". What doe WCT shows you? Why are they hanging?

André
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    I did the analysis, but all I could find when right clicking was an option for 'Analyze Wait Chain'.  This showed the message 'One or more threads of firefox.exe are waiting to finish network I/O', and listed one or two threads.  One thread number 684 (on my machine) seems to be always listed and does not seem to be related to the freeze ups (it is there when the browser works properly and when it is not responding).  A second thread appears ONLY when the browser is Not Responding.  That thread, 3608 (on my machine) seems to be the culprit that is causing the stalls.  It appears only when the browser is hung and then promptly disappears as soon as it frees up.

I did some more testing with Aviria AntiVir.  When I enable AntiVir Guard (live checking) the problem is persistent and frequent.  If I scroll through about 2-3 pages of a web page, the browser will become unresponsive.  When I disable AntiVir Guard, the browser works just fine.  As I stated before, I saw similar results with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Here's one more piece of the puzzle that I'm afraid is centrally important.  I run my browser using a profile that is stored remotely on an NFS mounted network drive.  This means that all the files that need to be manipulated for browsing are constantly being read and written across the network to the NFS drive.  Now one might jump to the conclusion that it is the network that is the thing that is stalling here, but that would be wrong.  I have done a packet trace using Wireshark and found that in ALL cases, the server is responding IMMEDIATELY to any request from Windows (it's a home Gigabit network after all, not a busy LAN), and the source of the stall latency is within Windows itself (which takes 3-30 seconds to initiate the next outgoing NFS transaction to the NFS server when a stall occurs).  Note also that I have used this NFS remote mount setup across three different Windows XP computers for several years and never have I seen even a hint of the kinds of stalls I'm experiencing with Windows 7.

It's almost as if when live virus checking is turned on, Windows 7 is applying some sort of special treatment to files that come from the network that causes the stalls.  Almost like local files are trusted, but network files receive an extra level of quarantining by some tardy thread.

-Jim
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.    Does this issue occur with Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)?

2.    Does this issue occur with other version of Firefox and Thunderbird?

If this issue only occurs with Firefox and Thunderbird, I also would like to suggest you contact their support for more information.

This time, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall Firefox and Thunderbird to check the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Hi Jim,

so it's an issue with the NFS system in Windows 7. Best is you contact the MS support. Maybe an hotfix is available to fix your issue.

André

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Funny, I have a very similar PC setup ( 3GHz quadcore ASUS board 4GB RAM & Windows 7 32bit).

I have continually been getting the same "Not Responding " notifications when running the likes of Photoshop CS3 & now CS4, Adobe Bridge and I just installed Nikon Capture NX2 and it has immediately been doing the same.  I also run Firefox and Thunderbird and haven't come across it with them.

I had been storing my work on and external Network Drive and resorted back to using the C Drive, but there seems to be no difference, I'm still getting the annoying hanging and "not Responding" message.

I am almost resorting back to my XP machine with a 2.66 1 core processor as it would be faster at the minute.  A 3ghz Quad core should be almost instantaneous!!

Please help - anyone, and if I come up with anything I will post it here.

Good Luck :-)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hi Heckheck,

I would like to confirm if there are any updates?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:42 AM
  • hi.

I must say I have the same problem. It started yesterday when programs began to not respond. usually one who never fails to not responding after a max of 20 min with the laptop on is windows live messenger. I use chrome, and it also stops reacting but i can close it and it doesn't give the not responding at the top. but after this i can't do nothing. porgrams don't open, Ctrl+alt+del does nothing and even if I try to shut down or reboot or whatever he just doesn't react. I've been forced to unplug the laptop at least 10 times already to shut it down, and that really buggers me. I have a Asus N61VG with the following specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits (6.1, Build 7600)
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
    4GB Ram
    Dx 11
    NVidia GT 220M CUDA 1GB

Some help would be highly appreciated!

PS: yesterday i installed AVG free edition 9.0
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:57 PM
  • I'm also seeing these lockups under Windows 7 on multiple machines running Security Esssentials. I'm not connecting to any NFS shares, so I don't think that is the issue. However, the only programs that are affected by it are IE8 and Firefox 3.x, with IE8 being the worst. In all cases, it comes down to a thread "waiting for network I/O". Killing the waiting thread restores functionality, but only for a while, as the lockups are frequent. The only hardware similarity between the machines is the CPU - Intel i7. This happens with both wireless and wired connections.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Same problem here. In my case, the problem happens in various programs, but mostly SQL Server Management Studio and Datatel UI.

Both are applications that make heavy interactive use of the network. Disabling the antivirus does not solve the problem. Now, I've had the SAME problem in three different machines:
    -My home computer running Win7 Pro 64 bits (clean install, formatting HDD and all).
    -Workstation computer running Win7 Pro 64(clean install).
    -Work laptop running Win 7 Pro 32 bits(upgrade from Vista, which worked just fine).

Very frustrating. Since I see the problem in three different computers and three completely different environments, I can only conclude it's Win7 itselft. Sorry for the rant, but I thought Microsoft would have learned by now. This is NOT a time for them to release an OS buggy like that, with Apple breathing down their necks...
    Friday, February 05, 2010 10:49 PM
  • I had the dreaded "Not Responding" plague on my brand new laptop for two months and it occurred with any program dozens of times throughout the day. It was crippling. It happened most often when switching from one program to another or when closing a program it would hang for a few minutes.

Now I don't want to jinx anything but the problem appears to be finally solved for me. After trying every adjustment I could in the system while waiting for tech support to catch up with the new OS, finally I contacted the manufacturer last week and they had a list of new drivers they had recently posted for my machine. I replaced drivers for the chipset, audio, lan, wireless, camera, video, touchpad etc. And the hangups were gone instantly. I don't know which one was the magic driver, most likely the chipset or the video, but I haven't seen the dreaded "not responding" for 4 days so far. Also note that I did not update the bios and I did not install any Microsoft updates so those seem to be unrelated. This OS was straight from the disk. I hope this helps someone else out there with the same issues. It really is crippling.

Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
    Maingear eXL-18
    Intel Q9300 Extreme quad processor
    4 GB Crucial RAM
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M video cards in SLI
    Crucial SSD SATA Drive
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:23 PM
  • I've been getting this with Chrome and Steam and it also happened after installing Security Essentials. I uninstalled it and thought it was fixed, but it's still occurring.

I thought it might have been my new HDD since the HDD light seems to come on constantly when it's happening, but considering it is happening to other people who haven't changed their system, fortunately that can be ruled out!

I've tried using the resource monitor, but it just doesn't really make any sense to me. The CPU is not going 100%, the disk reads appear to be fine, but then again it's like a different language to me.

The system hangs are really starting to make me lose my patience.

If it is a driver issue, I've no idea how to track down the culprit.

I forgot I had Windows Defender real time checking enabled as well, so I'll disable that and see how things run.

Yeah, turning off Defender doesn't help either. I thought it did, but the problem is back... it also appears to happen at regular intervals. The system will be fine for a while and then start hanging like crazy, then back to fine.

I was running Win7 RC1 64bit for a year and it was fine until I purchased and installed Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
    • Edited by fraxyl Monday, March 08, 2010 3:26 AM added more information.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Hi everyone that posted their problem after heckheck,

You've hijacked this thread and there was no resolution. You have all described a similar problem, but with different hardware and software triggering the problem.

Start your own thread to get a resolution or assistance. Now there will be no resolution through the noise. 

I have a piece of string on my desk, can you tell me how long it is? 
    Monday, March 08, 2010 12:25 PM
  • @ Nano - you would rather we open up dozens of new threads for what seems to be the same problem?  I've read each of these responses and I don't see how you consider this as "hijacked".  We all have a problem with Windows 7 64 bit throwing a Not Responding on various programs under various conditions.  Perhaps you could leave the police work up to the moderators....

For the rest of us here...
    I've been having the same problem. The PC is more than capable (Win 7 64 ultimate on 2 quad cores, 8gig ram, 6 hard drives in 2 different arrays, 2 video cards, gigabyte mobo).  My Not Responding occurs on mostly Office apps (Word, Excel, Access - all 2003 version, and Outlook 2007), but I've also had it happen on Firefox on a few occasions. 

My IT guy says he read somewhere that it was the Indexing and to turn it off.  That didn't help me.

I've noticed that nearly every time it happens is during a network access, but it doesn't happen on every network access.  Curiously, it also only happens (for me) once per app.  I haven't been able to determine if it is the next reboot that resets that or if after a certain amount of time, but once I kill the offending app (and wait for a very long time for it to actually close the app), restarting the program lets it run fine again.

@ MacPCGraphics - I'm hoping you are still subscribed to this thread - have you had any issues since all of the driver updates?
    Monday, March 08, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Someone suggested that I might be having power supply issues, so I disconnected the 4th hard disk in my system, but the problem is still there. It happens every hour for 10 minutes and then disappears. I think I can rule out power supply issue. If anyone else has the time, could they find out if the time frame is the same for them?

@tjoebgen, I also have a gigabyte motherboard (EP45-UD3P), what model is yours?

@Nano, we will gladly tell you how long the piece of string on your desk is. Grab the nearest rule and measure it for us. ;D

As for hijacking, whilst the hardware is different, the symptoms seem to be the same. It would be like a doctor saying "I'm sorry, your symptoms are the same as that guy over there, but that guy over there is not you so I cannot help you."

With more people working on this, I'm sure a solution will be discovered!

Whilst I'm unsure about some of the people in this thread, another common object in the equation seems to be Intel processors with more than one core. Mine is a Core2Duo E8400 3GHz.
    • Edited by fraxyl Monday, March 08, 2010 3:20 PM Further clarification.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 2:36 PM
  • @ Nano - you would rather we open up dozens of new threads for what seems to be the same problem?  I've read each of these responses and I don't see how you consider this as "hijacked".  We all have a problem with Windows 7 64 bit throwing a Not Responding on various programs under various conditions.  Perhaps you could leave the police work up to the moderators....
    tjoebgen,
    Application Compatibilty-

Enjoy!
    Monday, March 08, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Enjoyment not found.

I have all the same software that was running fine under the Windows 7 RC1 64bit.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:20 AM
  • HI fraxyl,
    I concur. I reviewed the programs mentioned in the thread and they are on the list from the link that I provided as compatible with Win 7 32 and 64-bit, except for Adobe CS3.

So, it would seem that it is hardware related. Bios, chipset, storage controller, drivers for the motherboard, as MacPCGraphics posted. You can't assume Win 7 has everything needed, especially for 64-bit. The latest BIOS available is always a good start.

I would suggest with the many hardware configurations here in this thread, that it's time to check the event viewer.

1. Click the Start button.
    2. Right-click computer
    3. select Manage
    4. expand Event Viewer
    5. expand Windows Logs
    6. select system (let it populate)
    7. review any issues
    8. do the same for applications

Did that provide any clues? 
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Wow, I've never seen the event viewer before, that is really handy to know.

I discovered my system drive has bad clusters on it! :(

Sad for hard drive, but the system is running smoothly again.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:00 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem in Win7 Ult 32 bit and 64 bit but only just after startup. I also think it may have something to do with the AV. So I'll run some tests on my laptop (Win7U-64).
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Wow, I've never seen the event viewer before, that is really handy to know.

I discovered my system drive has bad clusters on it! :(

Sad for hard drive, but the system is running smoothly again.

fraxyl,
    Did you run the utilities and repair the drive?
    1. Click Start button
    2. select help and support
    3. type type check a drive for errors in the search box
    4. follow the directions and select both repair options 

Did it resolve your "not responding" issue?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:41 AM
  • heckheck,
    What's the status with your issue? Any resolution?
    Since you have found some relation to the anti-virus, I would suggest that you disable the automatic scanning and real time protection in windows defender. Avira covers those for you. You may be getting problems from dual protection confilicting.
    1. click the Start button
    2. type windows defender in the search box
    3. select the program from the results
    4. select the Tools tab
    5. select Options
    6. seelct Automatic scanning in the left pane
    7. untick and Save
    8. select real time protection
    9. untick and save
    10. close out and test

Also, while you may be aware of this Performance Tuning Guide Guidelines for MS NFS, the network adapter default settings may be different in the Win 7 driver and may need to be "tuned" for your NFS.
    • Edited by Nano Warp Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:51 PM edit text
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Well, if I disable the AVs at startup, wait about 10 minutes and then reenable the AV, problem goes away. Defender is not doing real time monitoring so Defender and Eset Business AV are not battling for CPU time.

Time to talk to ESET to see if they have any solutions. I don't think it is isolated to Eset as I have talked to a lot of people who are having the same trouble as I am (a number of computers in my company are showing the same problem) and they are all using different AVs.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Anyone find a solution to this problem yet?

my system:

Core i7 cpu 2.8

dual msi Nvidia GTX275

8 gig ram corsair

Asus Maximus III formula mb

1.5tb hdd

I was running this system for a while with no problems whatsoever under windows 7.

Then one day out of the blue i started getting the not responding message on all programs.. Mostly browsers. But it can happen with every program i run. It will get the not responding message on lets say firefox but then some of my other apps like word i can still use in the background while FF is frozen. Or sometimes the not responding message will freeze all apps.

Sometimes i get errors in the browser saying a script is not responding.

Sometimes i get errors from Asus pc probe that opt1 fan is overheating.

I've done a clean wipe on windows and re-format several times.- failed

I've tried installing a brand new Gigabyte mother board... - failed

Disabled all that search index ____ - failed

Tried re-installing just XP - failed

Installed advanced system care pro and cleaned up registries. spyware,  etc - failed

Installed all the latest drivers - failed

Flashed the bios - failed

Paid some techies $200 to look @ my computer.. they ran hardware tests and re-installed windows - Failed

WTF this is such bullshit! Nothing seems to be able to fix this problem. The computer is only around 4 months old. In the past any error or computer problems i've had to do was re-fomat windows and were golden with a fresh start. This leads me to believe this is a hardware issue. Ive tried replacing the motherboard already with no luck. Any ideas of what i should do next?

thanks

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:08 AM
  • Fous,

Use the Asus motherboard. Check the specs on the chipset and visit Intel for the latest drivers. The Rapid Storage Technology drivers need to be added during the Win 7 installation from the select a drive/partition page. Add drivers button. Use the floppy version extracted to a usb stick/drive. Then the chipset update.

Run the motherboard drivers disk immediately after the install.

Check the HDD manufacturer for firmware updates and apply if available.

Start with the Bios settings at default. 

Verify the memory is on the QVL for the motherboard or has similar specifications as the QVL.

When you get freezes, check in the Event Viewer for the cause.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:00 AM
  • So

what are you saying i should re-install windows. and load the rapid storage technology driver from the boot screen from a usb drive when i am selecting what partition i need to install windows on and add the driver to the installation?

Then start up windows and load my motherboard Drivers disc?

what does verify the memory is on the QVL mean?

Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:52 AM
  • Fous,

no on the driver disk. It is most likely all Vista versions. You have get Win 7 drivers from Asus support.

The QVL list explanation is in the users guide-memory that has been tested compatible with this mother board.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:39 PM
  • yes the ram is compatible.. The thing that i dont understand is that the system was running fine for months.. The all the sudden it stopped working properly and the not responding ____ started... Which makes me think its a hardware issue as re=formatting does not do anything.. no matter what operating system i use. Ive tried vista, xp, and 7.. all do the same thing..
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:06 PM
  • I'm having the same "Not Responding" problem with Windows 7 64 bits, Security Essential, Firefox, Photoshop CS....in particular when trying to save an image from a website or after editing an image on file with Photoshop.

Also it seems that Windows 7 now has to take more than a minute to first "discovering", then "deleting", one simple deleted item from the Re-cycle bin. I wonder if this is related.

Obviously a windows 7 issue. Microsoft needs to address this immediately!

Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:28 PM
  • I too have the same problem and the Windows Event Logger/Viewer seems to dump out the following

Information 4/5/2010 9:34:53 PM Windows Error Reporting 1001 None

the report is following.... 

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          4/5/2010 9:34:53 PM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Bharath-PC
    Description:
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: MpTelemetry
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Microsoft Antimalware (BCF43643-A118-4432-AEDE-D861FCBCFCDE)
    P2: 2.1.6519.0
    P3: TimeOut
    P4: 1.1.5605.0
    P5: local
    P6: unspecified
    P7: unspecified
    P8: 
    P9: 
    P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Microsoft Antima_7cb56a23b5d5597d96c72bf30775b73abf1ab6a_0444e12c

Any one have Idea how to tackle this.... ?????
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Hey all,

All the problems described above i've experienced for the last 2 weeks. I tried all the tricks some of you sugested. Today i solved the problem. I did 3 things: reinstalled all MB drivers from intel website (chipset, lan, audio driver etc), installed Intell Desktop Utilities, run a chdsk and than cleaned up my computer. Have to say my video card fan was full of dust(Gygabyte ATI 5850) and my concern is than it was overheating when system paused. Not 100% what solved the problem but one of the above did, so i hope it helps.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:51 PM
  • I use SRWare Iron (a Google Chrome-based browser) and Firefox and it happens in both browsers.  I'm using FF 3.6.3.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled both in the last month for different reasons, and neither time did it affect this issue.  With all the variables out there, and the problem occurring across many configurations, I think it is more likely a Windows issue than a browser issue.  I wonder what percentage of users of Win 7 (or Vista) have NOT experienced this.
    Sunday, May 02, 2010 2:43 AM
  • I use MSE with IE8 and its fine on my box. I have used FF as well and its OK too. I use Live maill so I do not use Thunderbird.

I suggest checking the machine hardware, make sure RAM is tightly seated and that all fans are running properly and that dust has not mucked up everthing.

When all else fails, try a fresh install of Windows and see if that eliminate some issues.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Sunday, May 02, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Heckheck,

I just had the very same problem occur over 49 times with MSN and several games. After I did some disabling of resources, uninstalled 15 windows updates... I still had the annoying " application not responding" error. This happend for the second time to 2 different OSs, the first time with windows Vista 64 causing me to upgrade to windows 7 Ultimate.

I have been running great for a year and now until 2 weeks ago when I changed my power settings. "IT" returned. I am just going to guess... Is your power management set to power saver? Thats what I did both times to try and save on me electric bill.If so, set it to balanced and I hope it resolves your issues. I tested this by re enabling power saver and the problem came back!

I set up power saver in Vista and it caused the same problems. I trashed my $350.00 mother board for a cheaper EVGA and upgraded from Vista to Win 7.

I think they need to fix the power management so it quits working the hard drive and memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me know if this helps

• Proposed as answer by neK Bone Friday, July 30, 2010 7:13 PM
    • Edited by neK Bone Friday, July 30, 2010 7:25 PM addiyion and typ os
    Friday, July 30, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Well, contrary to some of the suggestions here, my problem does not seem to be related to anti-virus software or not having the latest drivers. I have a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad W510 with an i7 8 core processor running 64 bit Windows 7. Thunderbird 3 hangs with "not responding" constantly. Then after a few seconds, it surges ahead. Then it hangs again. Nearly unusable, and certainly slower than my 5 year old single-core 32bit Windows XP tablet computer.

I ran both the Thinkvantage software updater as well as the Microsoft Windows Update to make sure I had the latest OS patches and drivers. I did end up with some newer drivers from Lenovo. They didn't help any.

I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed for anti-virus. First, I disabled it. Then I un-installed it. Did not help.

Friday, August 06, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Remove all antimalware programs, the install only the MSE and if that does not help your setup is probably trashed beyong easy fix.

Use only a single security program, not 5 of them.

I like MSE as its free

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++ I have lots of papers on my site for power supplies and video card problems, see the resources section
    Friday, August 06, 2010 7:45 PM
  • On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 19:45:50 +0000, Vegan Fanatic wrote:

Use only a single security program, not 5 of them.

I completely disagree with that statement. Certainly, use only a
    single anti-virus program. But to that anti-virus program, you can,
    and should, add anti-spyware programs. I recommend using at least two
    additional anti-spyware programs--MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
    SuperAntiSpyware.

Ken Blake
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:47 AM
  • MSE started off life as Giant Antispyware. ow its MSE which covers all forms of malware. Tests have shown MSE is on par with other major programs.

Sadly a computer came in today, it had McAfee and Avast free install and yet I found 7 malware variations on the disk as the machine was unbootable.

It works now but his Windows setup has been thrashed badly.

I got rid of the other stull and installed MSE and now his box is safe. More or less.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++ I have lots of papers on my site for power supplies and video card problems, see the resources section
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with Home Premium(Intel Dual Core-4GigRAM). MSFT has been in business for over 30+ years now, and I dont understand why I still have the same performance problems with orders of magnitude more storage, memory and supposedly, a better operating system? MSFT seems to be getting worse at its business as time goes on! What is the problem, are engineers that stupid or so insulated that they cant address issues that the majority of users are confronted with? I'm very frustrated. I jsut want to turn on my machine and use it for work, I dont want to debug, analyze, call tech support or have to complain. Why cant computers be like cars at this point in time? Its pretty much a monopoly on the software/hardware side so where are the improvements? Intel/Microsoft are sitting on BILLIONS of dollars in cash but cant seem to figure out how to make a better product! What's wrong with this picture?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Futuresmkt,

What problems are you having with your system? I build and repair PCs and laptops as a side gig and it is possible I might be able to help with your problem.

If you can... just list the error message you are recieving and I will investigate and get back to you with a possible solution.

Like I said in an earlier post. I got several instances of the " application not responding" which occured after I had set my power options to power saver. I resolved the issue after about 2 weeks. With my system, it was not related to driver , updates, motherboard drivers or virus protection. I resoved the issue by reverting back to "balanced" in power options.

Current System:

EVGA 750 series with Intel Q6600 (lapped) at 3.1 Ghz

4 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066

EVGA 8800 GT Video card

Raptor 150Gb and 2 WD 500 Gb hard drives

Windows 7 Ultimate ver. 6.1.7600 build 7600

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Novice to this, but after reading through this thread and noting MSE was discussed, I found and de-selected MSE's "real-time protection" as I'm running Norton 360.  Thought that Norton would have done this when I loaded it, but apparently not.  Anyway, "seems" to have cleared up my issue with programs not responding.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Novice to this, but after reading through this thread and noting MSE was discussed, I found and de-selected MSE's "real-time protection" as I'm running Norton 360.  Thought that Norton would have done this when I loaded it, but apparently not.  Anyway, "seems" to have cleared up my issue with programs not responding.

Switch to Microsoft Security Essentials, links are on my developer and IT site.

I have come to see Norton as not the best for consumers.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:11 PM
  • I am sick and tired of reading these posts, aren't you!. TRUTH... I think something is wrong with WIN 7. I have 3 new computers, an dell i7, an acer netbook and a new gateway laptop.  ALL hang windows not responding, and my i7 freezes. All computers did this out of the box. It basically acts like computers did 10 years ago, when you switched aplications too fast the computer useto freeze. Microsoft has lost almost 10 years to me. So, MICROSOFT. I challange you to fix this problem. I am convinced it is not ad-ons, skype or any other crazy suggestion.  Why do we ALL have this problem and all have different aplications?? Please fix, or tell us what the heck is going on! This does not happen on my vista laptop or xp computer, only win7. It especially doesn't like it when I click on one program to another. Let me know when you admit there is a problem microsoft. Next computer might not be windows! Wasted all my extra money on windows 7, what a mistake!
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:20 AM
  • I am tired of reading these posts.  I've tried pretty much every remedy I read.  When I have Resource Monitor up, I see any application can be Not Responding when you try and use it (even Resource Monitor will stop responding).  I also get Not Responding in Safe Mode.  Not always right away.  Sometimes you need to poke around for a few minutes.  I've reseated my memory and hard drives and unplugged anything USB.  I do have a quad core CPU (2-4 cores seems to be something in common in these threads).  I reformated and installed Windows 7 fresh and I still have the problem.  McAfee is the only thing I have installed and I still have the problem.  I got Not Responding errors before updates and installing McAfee.  I have the same problem with 32-bit and 64-bit.  The problem is not constant.  It happens for about 10 minutes and comes back at least once an hour (or at startup or coming out of sleep mode).  Is this related some timed kernal process?  A conflict with a hardware controller?  I am at a loss. 
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I have to agree with this comment. I too have gone through all the suggested solutions - to no avail. It's definately a Windows 7 issue, and it's about time a solution was found. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:27 AM
  • There was a bug in the Windows 7 Beta where the handling of the Windows messages where delayed. Looks like you still have this issue. Contact the MS support to get better help.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:00 PM
  • I am sick and tired of reading these posts, aren't you!. TRUTH... I think something is wrong with WIN 7. I have 3 new computers, an dell i7, an acer netbook and a new gateway laptop.  ALL hang windows not responding, and my i7 freezes. All computers did this out of the box. It basically acts like computers did 10 years ago, when you switched aplications too fast the computer useto freeze. Microsoft has lost almost 10 years to me. So, MICROSOFT. I challange you to fix this problem. I am convinced it is not ad-ons, skype or any other crazy suggestion.  Why do we ALL have this problem and all have different aplications?? Please fix, or tell us what the heck is going on! This does not happen on my vista laptop or xp computer, only win7. It especially doesn't like it when I click on one program to another. Let me know when you admit there is a problem microsoft. Next computer might not be windows! Wasted all my extra money on windows 7, what a mistake!

I have read all of the above posts more than once. I quoted the post of Grace ME, because that is how I feel.  I agree that this is a Microsoft Windows 7 problem. It is common to several malware protection packages.  It is common to several browsers. It is not restricted to browsers.  I have had frequent "not responding errors" on everything, both IE8 and applications, including numerous times, 10 to 30 second delays, on CTRL-ALT-Del to Task Manager. I agree that MS should fix this problem.  I don't think I should have to contact MS support to get a fix that may or may not work since MS monitors our posts.  I did a clean install of  Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit about 12/26/2011 after running XP with good performance for over five years on my Intel dual core based Dell desktop hardware. I don't use a network. I have DSL.  I used IE8 for several months on XP without problems before moving to W7.  I have used Norton for several years (now have NIS 2011) and I am not ready to trust MSE .  I tried most above solutions.  No prior changes that I made prior to today helped. Today, thanks to Futuresmkt post above I changed my power settings from Balanced to High Performance. Today, thanks to several above posts, I checked my MSE settings, which I had checked several times before.  They appeared to be already disabled by Norton, but I did an update and re-disabled everything.  I think one or the other of these two changes has solved my problem, including after a re-boot.  If this solution does not last I will update this post.  I will vote as helpful those above posts which helped me.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I have been experiencing this problem with Vista, but only recently. I just want to clarify that, while it may be something related to Windows 7, it may also be something related to updates promulgated to all Windows variants at this point. I would be interested in anything that reliably solves this issue short of a reformat and reinstal, although if I can get my email backed up that is going to be my next step.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:10 PM
  • If you are using Live Essentials 2011 the mail is safe on the servers, if you are using Outlook 2010 look for the PST file and save that.

Inaugurated! That you for your support for my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Thanks. It's actually T-bird (mentioned earlier in the thread, which is how I found the thread). I know how to back it up, but Windows has become so frequently unresponsive that even copying a folder will cause it to hang sometimes. This started about a month ago, shortly after MSE came to me as an update package, but I have not found turning off features of MSE to be helpful. Might try uninstalling it.

Anyhow, yeah... I pretty much know what I need to do, just hope I can get it done before the whole thing poops out on me. May not even be related to this thread, if indeed this thread has any single, specific issue one could point at.

Again, thanks for being there to help though.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Ok,

• Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 32 bit
    • HP
    • 2GB Ram
    • Laptop
    I'm not entirely sure how to find out the mother board, but if needed I will find it using model number on HP.

I started with symptoms pretty much identical to the OP. Specifically, it seemed to me that the problem was mostly happening when T-bird was open. Symproms began about a month ago, and as it turns out I actually got MSE two months ago, so there is no precise correspondence between MSE's arrival and the issue at hand for me.

Nevertheless, I have tried disabling, and then fully uninstalling MS Security Essentials. It did nothing for me. I have no other system security software installed. In the process of copying files to backup my email before reformatting I got the following --

Error 0x8007045D
    global-messages-db.sqlite
    Type: SQLITE file
    Size: 4.35 MB
    Date modified: 1/13/2011 6:57 PM

Error 0x8007045D
    Drafts
    Type: File
    Size: 300 MB
    Date Modified: 1/9/2011 7:04 PM

So I can't back up these two files. I looked up SQLITE and it seems to be involved with a lot of the software mentioned in this thread such as T-bird, Firefox, and Adobe products. It's basically MySql pared down I think.

God only knows why the Drafts folder won't copy.

I looked up the error on here and the only clue I find so far is to shut off system restore and turn it back on. I tried that; it does not work. I lost my previous restore points in the process which made me feel really stupid, but fundamentally I am just screamingly frustrated that anything in the universe could make it to where my OS cannot copy a file. If it were being used I would expect to get the file in use message. As it is, I do not even see any sql or sql lite processes or services running. I have Firefox and T-bird both closed down, no ghosts of them showing in the processes... I'm stumped.

Oh, and when the computer is giving me the "Not Responding" error, the disk drive is the only thing maxing out. It is not grinding processor or memory (or network for that matter). There is a tell tale pattern I can hear the drive chattering in too -- sort of three burst followed by two shorter bursts, over and over and over until it either clears up or, in the case of the file copying mentioned above, throws the error.

Anyhow, that's where I am with this currently, and could not begin to tell you if it is related or not. I am going to hold off reformatting because I am both curious to see if anyone has a clue and because it is getting late. Since I was able to get my messages themselves backed up I am not in the hurry I was in earlier.

Thanks in advance for any further advice.

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:13 AM
  • MySQL is usually found on Linux, not too how good the Windows version is but I expect its OK.

IF the disk activity is on when the machine is unresponsive then its possible the disk is having to do on the fly error corrections.

In the search box of the start ment....

chkdsk /r

and then reboot when prompted

Inaugurated! That you for your support for my 2010 MVP!

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:33 AM
  • SQLite and MySQL are 2 different products. SQLite is an embedded DB which is used by Firefox and TB to store the history/bookmarks. You can try to compact them, maybe this speeds up Firefox and reduce the not responding messages.

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:18 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue on my laptop. It doesn't happen all the time but can generally be guaranteed to happen after a few days. It's worth noting that Dell replaced my CPU and fan recently, and that seemed to improve the issue temporarily; however, it's back now. It does seem network-related, but I'm not sure how.

One thing worth noting also is that it seems to happen in the night or overnight most often. So not sure if that might be related.

It does seem potentially software-related...but I don't know how to track that down.

Just wanted to express that I am also facing this issue.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:00 AM
  • What I did to solve my "Not Responding" problem.

The heart of the problem was my WD SATA hard drive.  Once I replaced the hard drive, the problem went away and the computer has been running great for over a week now.

I pretty much tried every piece of advise out there such as reinstalling Windows 7, playing with indexing, turning off all the add-ons, but nothing worked.  I even had the problem in safe mode.

While experiencing the painful problem, I had Resource Monitor running all the time.  Even it would lock up, but when it was working it would highlight in red/orange the process that was hanging.  When I checked the process, it would show the thread on the disk drive view with red/orange lines.  I'm not an expert at Resource Monitor, but it gave me a clue.

Next I ran the "chckdsk c:/f/r" when I rebooted my computer.  I got the steps from another thread.  Chckdsk would stop at the same spot everytime and not finish.  I never found any error using any other diagnostic tool and I tried a bunch of them.  This gave me enough confirmation that my hard drive was a problem.

After that, I simply ran a fresh install on a different hard drive.  After more than a week of not having the problem, I thought I would share my experience.

This is the chckdsk process from the other thread. (Windows 7 RC gets the (not responding) message on ALL apps and windows opened)

I spend two days on researching “Not responding”. So many solutions not enough results. As soon as we have problem, we are trying to clean everything from PC,

files, software’s, hardware etc. When this is done next step in trouble shooting is to disable half of the PC to eliminate the problem. Registry cleaning, disk defrag , you can go on and on. For some of us works , for some of us donn’t. I was the same way.

Nothing works. Simply not responding.

I found a solution on one of the forum. I don’t have the link. Because was a help for me, help which resolved my ”Not responding” issue, I saved this solution on my PC and now I’m going to share wiyh you.

Just follow steps below.Quote.

“ When you are in Windows 7, open up the command prompt in admin mode (find it on the start menu then right click > run as administrator). Then run the following command on all your drives (replace x: with each letter):

Quote:

fsutil dirty query x: 

That should list any "dirty" drives.

Now, type chkntfs /x x:. The /X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. Now manually reboot your computer, it should not do a chkdsk and should take you directly to normal Windows login.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another admin command prompt and enter chkdsk x: /f /r. Reply Y if asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan on the next boot and will unset that dirty bit.

Regards,

Franko Polo

-Kevin

Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I use an old machine with a PCI SATA/EIDE card so I can slave any HD and run diagnostics aggressively. Its also helpful in other places.

I also do not recommend using more than 1 malware protection program. I use MSE, see my IT home page for information and links.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Oh, one more thing.  I did not find a dirty bit when I ran "fsutil dirty query c:" on my hard drive.
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Some tools are not very capable of testing a HD properly.

http://www.windows-it.tk/papers/disk-reliability.php

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Some tools are not very capable of testing a HD properly.

http://www.windows-it.tk/papers/disk-reliability.php

Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:22 PM
  • It is not one application that causes the problem it is most. The problem is complex and involves more than one area.
    It isn't the OS itself but how it handles other software. Authors of software get lazy. They write code that does not 100% comply with the OS.
    Authors have a bad habit of messing with default settings, adding their application to the startup folder, context menus and creating other changes all in the belief that their application is the most important piece of software you will ever install.
    The more junk that gets loaded up during bootup time the more problems will rise.

There is no quick fix to this "Not responding" problem and I doubt if MS will ever be able to predict what tricks software authors will pull in the future.
    If MS allowed all users two licenses we could all have a main OS and another virtual one in which we could test software before committing it to our main OS. .

So Microsoft how about allowing us users the right to install two installations on one machine, either as a dual boot or a virtual installation, you may find it will decrease the number of complaints and shift the blame to the software authors.

Sunday, July 03, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Same problem & my possible solution.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32

INTEL 3.4GHz DUAL-CORE

3GB

500GB

DVD

AsRock MB

The short version........

My HD activity light was on steady when the problem was "in" and if I was able to boot cleanly event viewer would show the Hd and/or DVD were not ready at boot up. Going into setup at boot up would show no HD and/or DVD detected.

After 2 months of trouble shooting etc........I disconnected the DVD from the SATAii #3 port. No more problem. Connect the DVD back up and the problem would manifest itself again immediatly or after booting up a few times. Last week I moved the DVD SATA cable to SATAii port #4 and I havent had the "not responding" problem since then.

I have no idea why this worked but someone may be able to figure it out.   

Monday, July 18, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I wonder if the cable or the header is damaged.

Generally DVD drives only need SATA standard cables, no need for high speeed ones.

My drive uses a long cable as the drive is mounted at the top bay on the chassis but I have a few long cables so it was not a problem snaking a cable up.

I have seen crap cables lots where the plastic crumbled in my fingers.

Windows MVP, paid Remote Assistance is available for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:18 PM
  • This is Windows 7 problem.  Google "not responding" and Windows 7" and you get hundreds of hits.  WHEN IS MICROSOFT GOING TO DEAL WITH THIS ???  I'm sick of it.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Are any of you using more than one security program, if so remove them all and use Microsoft Security Essentials which is free. See my IT site for links.

In Vista and higher there is another component called Windows Defender, MSE works with that well.

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Perhaps a workaround but disabling Desktop windows manager session manager worked for me. No more "not responding"
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Many moons have passed since this issue was raised. Here are the facts. The problerm is not related to any specific software. It happens in dozens of applications. It is a Windows problem no matter what Microsoft say. They cannot fix it so they, as usual, blame everyone else. The culprit seems to be the unweildly context menu system in which Microsoft and just about every software author insists in adding as much as they can to it. To make matters worse it is near impossible to clean it out. Links to some entries are impossible to find. The solution is simple. Make the context menu a 100% opt in option. In other word nothing should be added to it by default and no software should be able to add anything without the user's permission. At least the user will gain control and be able to add and remove any entry at will thus able to remove any entry causing a problem. One day MS may figure that it is wiser to sell the basic OS only and offer extras either free or at a cost for users to add when they wish. Then they did do that once. The OS was DOS. You got the basics and added to it later.
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 2:26 PM
  • if you do not like the user interface, go get Visual Studio 2010 Express for free and develop one you like

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, December 04, 2011 2:35 PM
  • This is Windows 7 problem.  Google "not responding" and Windows 7" and you get hundreds of hits.  WHEN IS MICROSOFT GOING TO DEAL WITH THIS ???  I'm sick of it.

hi ,

maybe on the day that people start to install patches , ..... patches that give solutions , .... people dont install them or refuse to run a diagnostic help program , what are we supposed to do ?  break arms so that people will listen ? dont blame MS , blame the comp user who refuses help and keeps complaining about it , ....

not a personal remark , just a general observation of fact

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:57 AM
  • i think this could well be a faulty/old hard disk issue; had more or less the same thing - windows 7 rattling in the background and slowing the system. removed the faulty second disk and everything A okay...
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:20 PM
  • I have been having the "not responding" issue for almost 1 year, now, randomly, with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I'm running and Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.07 GHz

Asus P6T Motherboard 12GB RAM

I am running the single OS on a RAID 5 (onboard ASUS P6T) built from 4 1TB WD drives

I have been following all the posts and trying all the proposed methods of debugging

and have discovered many things that needed tweaking, but never stopped the "Not Responding"

from happening a couple of times per day...sometimes more.

I had pretty much decided to wipe my drives and re-install Windows 7 from scratch since my

machine was great when it was first set-up over 2 years ago.

... Till today...I stopped using Chrome (SRware Iron) and Firefox and tried MS Explorer 9 64 bit on a whim.

All of a sudden the problem went away! I opened up Chrome and imediately, the system hung with "Not Responding"

and Chrome crashed. It is not so bad with Firefox, but is pretty slow.

Please keep in mind that my system is a 3D animation system and I have many programs open

at the same time and I have all kinds of background programs running, so I expect slowdowns, but this

amazing find has totally made my system quite usable. Who would have thought it.... MS Explorer 9?

Could it be that Chrome is not really a 64 bit program? I have oftem wondered abou the mixing of 32 bit

and 64 bit programs on the same machine. Not sure why this worked for me, but it did. Matbe it will help

someone else. I hope so. It seems a LOT of people have this problem and can't find an answer.

UPDATE***  Since I have been using IE 9 as a browser for a week, the problem has come back.

So it seems, as an earlier poster stated, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with software.

It does seem to be tied to constant disk activity (done by the system procees "NT Kernel & System").

When I use the Resource Monitor I see 100% highest active time for Disk activity.

This process contains 52 line items under the PID 4 heading, which is the "NT Kernel & System"

This is showing that I have many programs running in the background.

The next most frequent disk activity belongs to the pagefile process.

So, not fully understanding the issue, I assume that there is a bottleneck in

disk activity. I am using a multi partitioned RAID 5 as the the OS drive.

The RAID 5 is controlled via the ASUS P6T onboard controler.

I am also using the EZ BACKUP at the same time as using RAID 5.

I also suspect this set-up as I don't see anywhere that you can run

these together, but I am.

My plan is to format the hard drive, remove the ez backup partition,

re-install Windows 7 64 bit and start from scratch.

Why?... because I have a similar machine that does not have this problem.

It is an i5 and a smaller grapgics card, but all else is the same and I have

no "not reponding" issues on that system. It also doesn't get as much use.

That is all I have.

• Edited by magicfxnm8r Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:30 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:38 AM
  • open up taskman and see what it has to say on applications not responding

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:43 AM
  • LOL... that is like using a web browser to check for an issue with your internet connection.

Whenever I had the "Not Responding" message, I was not able to open Task Manager

because it did not respond.

so far... 2 days without any "Not Responding" by not using Chrome or Firefox. Seems to be the

fix for me. I am going to try using IE9 32 bit and see if it the mixing of 64 bit and 32 bit apps

running at the same time that is causing the not responding issue.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:37 PM
  • I have been having the "not responding" issue for about two month now, randomly, with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

And it was very often when I used Firefox, but also with other programs.

I'm running:
     Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.8 GHz
    Asus P7H57D-V EVO
    12 GB RAM
    SSD disk 256GB Corsair Performance 3 (SATA 3 6Gb/s).

And I have been scratching my head and search all over the system for the reason of this freeze. The system just stops for about 10-30 seconds.
    And now I think I have found the reason. It's the hard disk, SSD Corsair Performance 3 256 GB thats not ok.

I bought this disk in october 2011, and clone from my old SSD Kingston 128 GB disk (SATA II 3Gb/s) to this. It worked fine in the beginning, but slowly the freeze has incresed frequently.
    Now when I clone everything back to the old SSD-disk, everything work just fine. And when I am testing the Corsair disk, there are some bad blocks on it.
    But when I changed back to my Kingston disk, I haven't had any "not responding" at all.

Edit:
    I have now formated the SSD-disk, and written zeros to the disk, and now it's working perfekt again. Why did this happen in the first place?
    I have read about others having SSD-disk with simular problems, and there were a guy said he did this procedure every second month.
    Is it some generally wrong with the SSD-disks when you write to them frequently, and this is bound to happen after a while????
    (I tested my HD with the program HHDScan, before the format and zero-writings it looked like this:
    Block start at 1171456 time 498ms
    Block start at 2072576 time 119ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 7610368
    Block start at 7614464 time 174ms
    Block start at 8269824 time 497ms
    Block start at 10207232 time 497ms
    Block start at 13230080 time 119ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 38412288
    Block start at 38416384 time 174ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 41132032
    Block start at 41136128 time 175ms
    Block start at 45252608 time 495ms
    Block start at 45387776 time 495ms
    Block start at 48939008 time 119ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 66764800
    Block start at 66768896 time 122ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 68968448
    Block start at 68972544 time 173ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 68984832
    Block start at 68988928 time 121ms
    Block start at 75829248 time 495ms
    Block start at 78008320 time 118ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 78442496
    Block start at 78446592 time 174ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 78721024
    Block start at 78725120 time 121ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 78766080
    Block start at 78770176 time 176ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 78925824
    Block start at 78929920 time 172ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 78942208
    Block start at 78946304 time 227ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 78962688
    Block start at 78966784 time 121ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 84013056
    Block start at 84017152 time 171ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 84217856
    Block start at 84221952 time 173ms
    Block start at 84348928 time 496ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 84639744
    Block start at 84643840 time 120ms
    Bad block found, start LBA : 84697088
    Block start at 84701184 time 120ms
    Block start at 84783104 time 119ms
    Block start at 117018624 time 497ms
    Block start at 120856576 time 114ms
    and after there were none problems found at all)

• Edited by Nicce70 Friday, February 24, 2012 7:17 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Get and RMA for that SSD as it clearly a problem

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:22 PM
  • OK - Maybe a big breakthrough on this problem, or maybe just my machine.

After reading the logs, I went to the Event Viewer - Security selection.

Every time my "not responding" message occurs, there are two entries in this log:

Audit Success    05/03/2012 10:01:18 AM    Microsoft Windows security auditing.    4672    Special Logon

Audit Success    05/03/2012 10:01:18 AM    Microsoft Windows security auditing.    4624    Logon

I have tested this several times to verify it.  So it appears to be a MICROSOFT SECURITY AUDITING problem.

If you have this problem, could you please check the Event Viewer (Right click computer, Manage, Event Viewer,  Windows Logs, Security.

You'll have to refresh the panel (switch to applications and back to security).  To get a timestamp, click on your clock to see the seconds.

IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND NOTICE THE SAME SORT OF LOGS, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD...

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:07 PM
  • I have checked the logg, and I have found no relation between the not responding error and the microsoft security auditing. For me it was bad blocks on the hard drive that causing this not responding.

If you check your hard drive with HDDScan, is it ok then?
    I have not had any "not responding" after my solution in the answer above, and I had this problem a lot during two month and it was driving me crazy.

Monday, March 05, 2012 6:34 PM
  • If the disk is showing bad blocks its time to get a new one pronto before the old one dies catastrophically.

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:21 PM
  • I've been experiencing the "Not Responding" seizures for several months now on my Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit PC with dual quad core, 8 MB RAM...

I mostly see the issue in Firefox, but that may be because I am working in Firefox about 90% of the time.  This happens multiple times per hour; sometimes closing & restarting Firefox seems to stabilize it for a short while; HOWEVER, because the issue is more or less random, I cannot correlate the hangs with any other activity.  No correlation with NAS access, though

I have resorted to Chrome, in order to get through a lot of eMail, and have never experienced the problem in Chrome.  {But I have become reliant on some Firefox features}.  I also reverted to an old Windows XP Pro PC, and loaded Firefox, and experienced the problem there, too.  I am inclined to believe one factor may be one of the Firefox updates that occurred after version 3...

One troubleshooting product, "WhatIsHang" by NirSoft enables you to capture some stats about the Hangs, but hasn't helped me diagnose the cause...

For what it is worth, the Firefox forum has THOUSANDS (not an exaggeration, BTW) of people stating they have the same problem -- seems epidemic.  There are a number of purported "resolutions" -- I have tried eight different "solutions" that worked others, but no luck for me...

This singular issue is causing a tremendous productivity loss -- we should post a bounty for a confirmed solution.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:49 AM
  • This fixed my computer with the Not Responding problem:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    I did experiencing the "Not Responding" problem for about 2-3 months on my Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit PC with 12 GB RAM.
    The problem mostly was seen when working in Firefox, but it did happen in other programs as well.
    This did happen some times multiple times per hour, some times just once a day. The issue is more or less random. But it did increase over time.
    I have done a lots of research of why this happens. Tried a lot, upgrade the BIOS, check the system etc.
    I tried to run SFC /SCANNOW in the command promt to check all the system files, but it could only run to about 24% or some thing like that, then it just stopped.
    I ran the program HDDScan, and it found about 10-15 bad blocks. It was then I tried to clone all my system and try with an other hard drive.
    This is what I did:
    1. I cloned my system with EaseUS ToDo Backup Free 3.5 to my older SSD-disk 128GB from my newer SSD 256GB (the size of the system was just 110GB, so it did still fit)
    2. Changed the BOOT disk priority in the BIOS.
    Now I tested the system for about 1 week. The Not Responding-problem did never occour. It was gone!
    Ok, fine. There might be some faulty with the new SSD 256 GB disk?
    I changed back the BOOT priority to BOOT from the new disk again, and then the problem was right back.
    I did then format the new disk, and write all of the disk with zeros with the program WipeDisk.
    I cloned back all the system from the SSD 128 GB disk to the 256 GB disk.
    And reboot the system.
    And the Not Responding problem is gone with the new disk as well!
    I can now run the SFC /SCANNOW in the command promt without problems.
    HDDScan don't find any problems with the disk.
    It has now worked for about 8 days, and it has never stopped responding.
    Why did this work? And is the problem coming back? I have no idea.
    But it would be interresting if some other users with this problem could try the same fix.

Update:
    After now 3 weeks it still working fine. It has stopped responding about 2 times on this 3 weeks, but thats nothing compared to the time before my fix. I would not have beleived this would have made any difference if I hadn't seen it for my self. I have been working with computers, softwares and os since the middle of 80'th.

I'll get back if the problem gets back.

• Edited by Nicce70 Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:27 AM Update
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:14 PM
  • might be an idea to get a new disk with more capacity to hold backups etc

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:08 AM
  • I ran the SFC / SCANNOW and had good results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
         Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
         C:\Windows\system32>SFC /SCANNOW
              Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
              Verification 100% complete.
              Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

...so I am unable to say this is a factor on my system, and I still experience the random "Not Responding" states.

Since I have not discovered any way to manually duplicate the "Not Responding" state, it is very difficult to trouble-shoot, and find a cause/effect relationship.

I would be interested to learn of any other perceived successful remediations.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:14 PM
  • For completness, just in case you may not know reading this thread, there is another thread running in this forum dealing with exactly the same issue, and, coming up with identicle results, ie, that there does not seem to be a definative and common solution (if in fact that ever exists) plus, the exact same conditions are seen by all.

I have experienced this problem now for over 2 years. It is not worth itemizing my pc spec here because that is not the issue. It is not worth itemizing the sofware loaded - that is not the issue. It is not worth commenting on changing HD's - that is NOT the issue. It is NOT worth commenting on updating drivers - that is CERTAINLY NOT the issue.

The only common thread in all this is that the vast majority are all using Windows 7 64bit (usually Home prem).

Sorry for the capitals, but - THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW AND HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED, IF THERE WAS/IS A SOLUTION WE WOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT IT BY NOW.

I am fully prepared for Microsoft to anounce that with the new Windows 8 all these issues will be resolved.

Will I be buying Windows 8 ?............................... {text has been voluntarily censored to protect the innocent reader}

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:39 PM
  • I agree it is wholly frustrating not to have an answer and only receive advice on disabling hardware, software, features, options and whatever that was all there before the problem manifested itself.

I've had this for 5 years on Vista64 Business and now for 4 months on W7 professional and still have no resolution. Why I put up with such shoddy code, I don't know. I'm off to the land of Linux soon. 5 years+ is more than lenient to those who are happy to take my money but lose me so much in productivity while waiting for 'Not Responding' to allow me to continue. This is not enterprise class.

Now, which Linux to go with...

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Damn.... I have this same problem, I've not checked the logs so have no idea if I have the same log results BUT I have the same hanging issue contantly, its WORSE THAN AN AN OLD SINGLE CORE PENTIUM with 512MB RAM!!!! And yet I've paid TOP DOLLAR and have a brand new FX 8-core AMD, Windows 7 ULTIMATE 64bit, SSD Drives, Dual Video Cards...you name it I have the top of everything.......and its CRAP I CAN HARDLY USE IT It HANGS and takes me 15 minutes to write an email as every 5 words it has to act like its CPU has been pegged and sits there thinking or farting or whatever it does while its confused and thinking its overused apparently.

HERE IS THE KICKER, I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM LATE LAST YEAR when I upgraded my dual athlon to a new x6 Phenom II Black Box 1090T and the top of the line motherboard the ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme ROG (almost $300 for the motherboard alone) and after months of searching off an on I FOUND THE FIX!!!

I thought for sure I had booked marked it and even remember writing all my friends an email telling them about this great registry fix I found......the bad news is I must not have ever sent that email as I've searched on every keyword I can think of and its not in my sent folder or drafts or anywhere.....and I must have gotten so excited I did not bookmark it and my last chance will be my browser history which I will check as soon as I restore my data as I just had to reformat and re-install the OS and have not transferred the old data back over yet.

SO LET ME ENCOURAGE EVERYONE, there IS A FIX!!! I was so happy, it was noticeable IMMEDIATELY! MY PC SPED UP DRAMATICALLY AS SOON AS I REBOOTED AFTER APPLYING THIS REGISTRY CHANGE! SO I sure hope I can find it, if I do I will post here and everywhere I find these threads as I see a lot of people have the same issue.....

Some things I do remember:

1. Obviously as I said it is a registry fix.From what I recall I had to go in and delete sections of the registry, and

2. I remember them talking about it had something to do with the OS Windows 7 Specifically has something that "Controls CPU Usage in a multi-core environment" and as soon as I removed those entries that managed the control, it was solved.....

3. I've looked and seen the "CPU Parking" fix but don't believe that was the one I'm talking about as It did not ring any bells when I performed it and it certainly has not solved my issue....it is something similar though

Regards,

Jarrett

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Damn.... I have this same problem, I've not checked the logs so have no idea if I have the same log results BUT I have the same hanging issue contantly, its WORSE THAN AN AN OLD SINGLE CORE PENTIUM with 512MB RAM!!!! And yet I've paid TOP DOLLAR and have a brand new FX 8-core AMD, Windows 7 ULTIMATE 64bit, SSD Drives, Dual Video Cards...you name it I have the top of everything.......and its CRAP I CAN HARDLY USE IT It HANGS and takes me 15 minutes to write an email as every 5 words it has to act like its CPU has been pegged and sits there thinking or farting or whatever it does while its confused and thinking its overused apparently.

HERE IS THE KICKER, I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM LATE LAST YEAR when I upgraded my dual athlon to a new x6 Phenom II Black Box 1090T and the top of the line motherboard the ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme ROG (almost $300 for the motherboard alone) and after months of searching off an on I FOUND THE FIX!!!

I thought for sure I had booked marked it and even remember writing all my friends an email telling them about this great registry fix I found......the bad news is I must not have ever sent that email as I've searched on every keyword I can think of and its not in my sent folder or drafts or anywhere.....and I must have gotten so excited I did not bookmark it and my last chance will be my browser history which I will check as soon as I restore my data as I just had to reformat and re-install the OS and have not transferred the old data back over yet.

SO LET ME ENCOURAGE EVERYONE, there IS A FIX!!! I was so happy, it was noticeable IMMEDIATELY! MY PC SPED UP DRAMATICALLY AS SOON AS I REBOOTED AFTER APPLYING THIS REGISTRY CHANGE! SO I sure hope I can find it, if I do I will post here and everywhere I find these threads as I see a lot of people have the same issue.....

Some things I do remember:

1. Obviously as I said it is a registry fix.From what I recall I had to go in and delete sections of the registry, and

2. I remember them talking about it had something to do with the OS Windows 7 Specifically has something that "Controls CPU Usage in a multi-core environment" and as soon as I removed those entries that managed the control, it was solved.....

3. I've looked and seen the "CPU Parking" fix but don't believe that was the one I'm talking about as It did not ring any bells when I performed it and it certainly has not solved my issue....it is something similar though

Regards,

Jarrett

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:59 AM
  • If this is only half true Jarrett you could make a fortune! I have never known a problem like this that has gone on for so long effecting so many and yet has NEVER been addressed or solved by ANYONE.

To me it is unbelievable that it has gone on soooo long with NO real and reproducible solutions being put forward.

Please, please, please keep searching and let us all know what you find.

I have just upgraded to Ultimate from Premium thinking that would solve it............. no. However, I am starting to think it may have something to do with auto backup option. This may explain why the whole system freezes and the HD light it constantly on during this phase. I haven't quite got to the bottom of it yet, but, I'm still working on it.

What other option do I have?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:36 AM
  • It might be worth experimenting with some of these... Depending on the system characteristics, experimenting with the delayed and critical worker threads may help improve performance, especially if the slowness is attributed to antivirus programs and live I/O monitoring.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee377058%28v=bts.10%29.aspx

Even though this says server 2003/2008, it applies to Vista and 7 too.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Certainly worth a try. However, for me, I never quite subscribed entirely to the title of this thread regarding the Anti-virus connection. I have tried about 6 progs to date (including Microsoft very own Elements), also, tried it with NO Anti-virus installed. Nothing made a difference.

I would also like to repeat again that I think it is very, very bad that the 'customer' should have to play around like this to rectify an obvious OS FAULT.

Sorry to use this tone of reply to someone who is only trying to help, which I rely appreciate, but it has gone on for so long now and is so frustrating I just see red every time I re-look at the situation. For what I have seen, which can be verified by the reader, there are literally 1000's of people out there who are suffering this fault.

The only ones that have found a cure are those that have gone over to Mac or Linux.

Nuff said................

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:03 AM
  • I am of the opinion there is a device driver problem that is causing the problem

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:03 PM
  • I have to say I'm "almost" of the same opinion, but, before I run off and replace all my drivers (again) is there any way I can isolate the potential culprit other than simply going through them one-by-one?

According to Driver Genius and W7 all my drivers are up-to-date.

Isn't there a piece of diagnostic software I can get hold of that will show what is going on during one of these freezes? Event Viewer is about as useful as a solar powered torch. The whole system freezes for - 5min..........after which event viewer shows nothing has happened. What is the point of this diagnostic TOOL?

I also got a new 'error' today after booting up -
    Proximity detection failed due to unknown error '0x80004004'.  The best proximity time detected was -1 milliseconds.

Because this Microsoft FAULT is NOT explained anywhere on the net it is impossible to correct it. However, just by luck, one of my colleagues has come across this before. Apparently it is something to do with Media Player.

HERE WE GO AGAIN...........................

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Here is what it was, it WAS CORE PARKING for me that solved it......here is the page and this has increased my performance 10 fold! It has been amazing, the "hang" issue has completely gone away on my system since doing this fix! It did last time I did it last year also.....

Here is the actual fix URL: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=1852473

Here is the text so you can just follow these instructions without having to go to the other page if you want:

** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking

Who is affected
    The following is confirmed by me  [ in Win 7 X64 RC ]  and by a colleague of mine who is a MSDN subscriber who has access to the final / RTM Windows 7 X64.    It is NOT  a Sonar 8.5.1 issue - it is an O/S issue.   It is also NOT  present in Vista SP1  x64 or X32.   It  only  applies to Windows 7 X64 and X32 and  only  in systems using  more  than 2 physicial CPU's  and/or  more than 2  "logical" cores - ie:  Core i7 DAW's.

The Problem

Core Parking is VERY bad for DAW's - great for  non-DAW Laptops - but very bad for us in the DAW world.

See here for a bit of info / explanation / more info about CPU Core Parking - http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/453920-Windows-7-on-more-than-4-cores/ 
    Without the following  " fix "  you will see massive CPU spiking in Sonar and Windows Task Manager - some CPU cores will be "turned off" / "parked" depending on load and they will be dynamically turned on or off and dynamically loaded up or down as the system deems necessary -  the scope for glitchs / pops / clicks / droputs  etc.... in such an environment is simply enormous. 
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no known "switch" to turn it off - no utility I am aware of to "tweak" it off.

The Fix

- go to REGEDIT
    - Search and Find this key  [  54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00  ]  without the   "  [  ]  "
    - alternately, you can search and find the phrase  "  Core Parking "  -  again without the  "  "
    - either of the above searchs works and delivers the exact same results
    - delete the key(s)
    - make sure you search the whole Registry - you should find it  [ from memory ]  6  times but will only be able to delete  [ from memory ]  the first  2 or 3 instances - dont worry about the ones you cant delete - just delete all the ones you can
    - exit the Registy
    - Shutdown Win7
    - Do a full cold shutdown and re-boot

The Result

Perfect* load balancing across all you CPU cores - no spiking - both in Windows 7 Task Manager and Sonars CPU meters

I hope this fixes some if not all you guys!

Kudos to TomG over at the cakewalk forum for providing this great fix! SHAME ON MS FOR NOT DISABLING THIS DAMN CRAP IN WIN7!!!

Best regards

Jarrett Neil Ridlinghafer

My Linked-In Profile

PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME KNOW IF IT SOLVED YOUR ISSUE (WHOEVER YOU MAY BE!) jarrett.ridlinghafer@gmail.com
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Now IF this works it is the very first "sensible" suggestion I have seen in 3 years. IF it works you can have my first born Jarrett.

Between now (as of this posting) and tomorrow a.m. (UK) I'm gonna be on this. The thing that strikes a 'true' note with me is the fact that the situation that prompted it involves a DAW...........THIS was the first big problem using Cubase I experienced it in. A complete nightmare trying to record stuff with all this going on.

So, watch this space and fingers crossed.

As Arnie said - "I will return......................." 

Cheers!

Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Bit pushed for time at the moment, but, search of reg showed no mention of "Core Parking", but did have one entry under the key for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e.

Something to do with balancing the CPU with power demands.

Only seems to be the one entry though.

I'll look into it further tomorrow.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Well.......... it was certainly worth a try. Unfortunately it hasn't solved my problem. There is quite a bit of info on the net regarding this 'Fix' and there is now a simpler method of disabling/changing the settings instead of deleting reg keys (just change D word to all o's). I really had high hopes for this.

On the plus side, I now see all 4 CPU's working, however, the word on the net is: "Does this really make any difference?"

The one common thing I have noticed with all people experiencing this issue, apart from the freezing, is the presence of a constant HD light indicating the HD is in constant use during the freeze. In fact if you check the Resource Monitor during one of these episodes you can plainly see the main disc (C:/) is maxed out. I/O operations show maximum peaks which is probably one good reason the system seems to freeze.

What ever is causing this has something to do with HD access which explains why the FAULT only materializes after some time of use. Probably after the HD has undergone many loads/unloads. (NOTE - this cannot be solved by defrag or partition management........... been there, done that)

On a side note, I have also now installed, on a separate disc, Windows Ultimate, yes I'm a glutton for punishment. From first install it is working as God and Mr Gates had intended. I'm slowly adding all the software that is installed on my HomeP version to see when/if the same thing happens.

So far no sign of the dreaded FREEZE!

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Sorry it did not work for you! It sure did improve my performance, AND STOPPED THE HANGING COMPLETELY for me. It probably improved your performance as well (like you said its is VERY noticeable the CPU improvement across the board when monitoring them in "Performance Monitor" but if your system is still "hanging" then you cannot tell :)

It has 100% solved my "hang" issue, so thank God that was my only one, it is now VERY OBVIOUS there are more than one issue involved as I assume this core parking may resolve at least some of the folks issues who have added to this extremely long list of complaints!Yes, I saw the "change the setting" fix instead of "delete the whole key" fix which was why I did not think it was the same thing I had found last time as I knew I had "Deleted" an entry last time, so when I finally found the one that I remembered, it was the same "core parking" issue just deleted instead of changing the entry to turn it off which is what it basically does, I prefer deleting it so it CAN NEVER turn it back on again :) unless it goes and adds the whole damn key....as its unbelievable how BADLY it made my computer perform! I was serious when I said it took 5 minutes to write a 5 sentence email! as it was "hanging" every 3-5 seconds!!  for 30 seconds minimum!

You are not a glutton for punishment and what you are doing is EXACTLY what any proper technical support engineer SHOULD BE DOING, its called "BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING TECHNIQUE" and is EXACTLY How a technical support department or ENGINEERING department LAB goes about DUPLICATING any serious issue. They start with the EXACT SAME HARDWARE and then add ONE PIECE AT A TIME the EXACT SAME SOFTWARE......UNTIL VIOLA!!!! The BUG/ISSUE is able to be duplicated, they then know WHAT SOFTWARE is the culprit and they can then eliminate EVERY piece of software until ONLY THE OS and the ONE CAUSING THE ISSUE remains, if the issue is till happening then you've eliminated software conflicts other than the OS, you can then eliminate HARDWARE down until all you have are ONLY WHAT IS NEEDED, Video, Keyboard, Monitor, Hard-Drive and MINIMUM RAM. IF THE ISSUE STILL OCCURS then it is 99.99% between the OS and that particular software, at that point they would get the software engineers and the OS engineers together and get them to duplicate the same issue and hopefully through an engineering build (a build that collects a ton of debug info) or whatever means necessary to solve the problem and get a fix to people.

The KEY as with everything is MONEY :) Is the Issue BIG ENOUGH that it is making the company loose money? A REALLY GOOD COMPANY WILL NOT CARE and Do THE RIGHT THING and fix it anyway, like CISCO, BUT MICROSOFT IS NOT A REALLY GOOD COMPANY WHO CARES ABOUT THE LITTLE GUY or the 2% who are having an issue, so THAT'S WHY YOU ARE BEING IGNORED BY THEM :)

Having worked my way from technical support engineer with Netscape in 94 to World Wide Support Operations Manager over 5 years and then starting my own ISP for another 5 years and then building out extremely high volume data networks and data-centers now for 22+ years, I've had to learn quite a lot about technical support, proper troubleshooting, issue solving, engineer builds, building out labs and replicating data infrastructures and duplicating problems/issues and getting companies to actually solve them! NOT A LOT OF FUN (Well it is for me as its what I love to do! But, not for the people/customer dealing with the specific issue at the time or the company that is willing to try to solve it).

The Bottom line? Anytime an issue like your having comes up, that's exactly how your "supposed" to properly troubleshoot ALL technical issues since they are so complicated and there can be SO MANY influencers (a word?), by "removing every possible influencer, one at a time until the issue goes away......or alternatively starting from a clean system and adding each into the mix, one at a time until you discover the one causing the issue"

Although you are using a different OS so you are not really trying to solve the issue but are instead performing what is called (as I am sure you know already) finding a "WORK AROUND" :) GOOD LUCK!!

The hard part is that not everyone has listed their system specs in detail so......as you stated in an early post, the only common thread is Win7 64bit although I will add that I also believe it includes MULTIPLE CORES Which was why I had hoped my solution would solve ALL the issues but regardless almost all Win7 machines these days are multi-core as they are common place now, so I would assume the core parking" solution will solve quite a few, I wish we cold get  account of who all it solves and then get a list of detailed hardware specs from the rest who are left that it DID NOT SOLVE, that would definitely narrow things down! I would hazard to say we could then MUCH EASIER pinpoint the culprit by examining all the common thread (maybe the ones left all have the same hard-drive or a piece of software they have all installed or a driver or whatever) You may want to try to make that happen, not sure how you could go about it unless you found a way to contact each person in this thread and ask them to try the core parking fix and then report back with their COMPLETE SOFTWARE/HARDWARE Specs they could easily print out to PDF or "export" to txt the info using the "Accessories/System/Tools/System Information software tool in Win7

My 5 Cents anyway....I will check back to continue to monitor this issue and please feel free to contact me if you would like any help from my end.

Best regards to all,

Jarrett Neil Ridlinghafer

My Linked-In Profile

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Core parking was in fact the issue! I actually solved it another way, for the method Jarrett.Ridlinghafer proposed unfortunately did not work for me. (I searched for "core parking" in regedit, removed all entries, shutdown/rebooted, but the hanging was still there.)

This is how I disabled core parking in Win7:

1. Search for 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 in regedit

2. Make sure MinValue and MaxValue are both 0.

3. Repeat every time that string shows up.

4. Reboot.

To double check, just open Resource Monitor and make sure all CPUs on the right side are running at 100%, i.e. none are "parked." For some reason I have two cores but it shows 4 CPUs... oh well, the more the better. 

Hope this helps! It certainly worked like a charm for me, and all power plans are now functional (Balanced, Energy Star, High Performance, etc). I read elsewhere that Windows 7 Home Premium has some sort of core parking bug that's nonexistent or fixed in Pro and Ultimate. But now Home works for me so no point in handing over more cash to Microsoft.

---
    Lenovo Ideapad U400
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel i7-2620M 2.70GHz (Dual-core)
    8GB RAM

• Edited by kyinaire Saturday, May 05, 2012 5:10 PM
    Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:57 PM
  • First off............. I've moved over to Ultimate whilst still "playing" with Home Prem to see if I can identify what the problem is and to get it working properly. Ultimate has not shown the same problems even though I have moved most of the software from the Prem version (and have not used the Core Parking trick), so, in my mind there is something different between the 2 versions.

Secondly, I have been going now for >3 weeks with very few problems on the Prem version after doing the following:

1. Changed Core Parking status by changing values to 0 in reg (there were 6 keys).

2. Disabled all non-Microsoft Services using 'clean boot' method

3. Ran chkdisc /f on all drives (3)

4. Ran sfc /scannow

5. Re-enabled only essential Services - (eg. Virus, Vid card, sound card)

6. Set all parameters to default (security, network, power scheme)

7. Changed Firefox to latest Beta version

8. Uninstalled and deleted Nero, Java, Flash, Adobe.

9. Disabled auto Backup.

As I said...................... 3weeks now and hardly a Freeze. I say hardly because there have been one or two, but, could have been down to the web site(s) I was trying to access (loads of Flash and Java scripts). 

Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Core parking was in fact the issue! I actually solved it another way, for the method Jarrett.Ridlinghafer proposed unfortunately did not work for me. (I searched for "core parking" in regedit, removed all entries, shutdown/rebooted, but the hanging was still there.)

4. Reboot.

To double check, just open Resource Monitor and make sure all CPUs on the right side are running at 100%, i.e. none are "parked." For some reason I have two cores but it shows 4 CPUs... oh well, the more the better. 

Hope this helps! It certainly worked like a charm for me, and all power plans are now functional (Balanced, Energy Star, High Performance, etc). I read elsewhere that Windows 7 Home Premium has some sort of core parking bug that's nonexistent or fixed in Pro and Ultimate. But now Home works for me so no point in handing over more cash to Microsoft.

---
    Lenovo Ideapad U400
    8GB RAM

Didn't help at all for me.

Saturday, May 05, 2012 6:55 PM
  • My Sony quad-core laptop was always showing applications as not responding.  I'd have to wait 10-15 seconds for them to come back.  Scripts were coming up with errors and the computer was always extremely frustrating to use, so much so that I actually preferred my old single core Thinkpad running Windows XP.  Disabling Core Parking solved the problem and made my laptop actually run well for the first time since I bought it.  Thanks much for the post. 
    Friday, June 01, 2012 7:28 PM
  • core parking is not really needed as modern processors use the CPU multiplier to reduce the clock speeds way down which use a small fraction of the power.

For example my AMD processors go down to 1800 MHz which on my X2 CPU is about 8.51 W vs 65W when loaded

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Friday, June 01, 2012 7:39 PM
  • thanks a lot kyinaire, it did work like a charm.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:42 PM
  • I set my graphic card settings to performance rather than quality and instead of automatic CPU selection to GPU selection and works fine for me. I suspect CPUs have problems rendering graphics. Do not select auto. Graphics should only be handled by graphic card. This is especially true for Windows 7 heavy graphic processing.

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Windows System Bug/Potential Security Flaw

Background
    I had a Windows 7 64-bit system that has been working for over a year. Suddenly many programs, including Internet Explorer, many of the system utilities, Skype, and Norton 360's control panels, started hanging. The system was unusable. It took me three weeks to find the problem.

Problem
    There must be some Windows service that many programs are using to display their output. This service apparently attempts to make a list of installed fonts. If an error occurs during reading the list, the service just continually attempts to re-read the list, never returning and making the application hang.

Investigation:

* Go to 'http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx' or
    'http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062'

* Download the Windows 'Sysinternals Suite'.

* Extract the contents into a folder.

* Run the program procmon.exe. You will see a list of events for the processes on your system.

* Open one of the applications which is hanging.

* I saw a flood of BUFFER OVERFLOW events on the registry for the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.SOFTWARE.Microsoft.Windows NT.CurrentVersion.Fonts

Solution:
    When I saw the problem, I thought I had too many fonts on my system. So I started uninstalling fonts. However, I went into the Registry (Push the Windows Start button and enter 'regedit' in the input field to start the Registry Editor.). Under
    the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.SOFTWARE.Microsoft.Windows NT.CurrentVersion.Fonts" I saw the list of installed fonts. Most fonts had names like 'arial.ttf', but some font entries had extremely long names that shot off the end of the screen. I went through the font list and removed any entries with long names.

My system started acting normally again. No applications hung.

Unfortunately, I started one solution then switched to another, so I'm not sure which fixed the problem, but I am pretty sure it was the second (removing font entries with inordinately long names.)

Sunday, May 05, 2013 12:27 PM
  • I have had the same problem, just about drove me nuts. My solution. Update your drivers. There are some good programs. It will cost a few dollars but they just load in without any help. Next I used a freeware program Auslogics duplicate finder. This program gives multiple choices for searching and saves the removed duplicates. If you find you have removed something that is vital simply restore all the bits and start again being more selective. My computer has never worked so fast or trouble free. Tried this on my partne'rs computer with the same good results.

Good luck Rubbicorne

Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:12 AM
  • realteck  ethernet controler is the prob

Sunday, June 02, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Switch to MAC and all these problems will go away...
    Monday, June 17, 2013 3:32 AM
  • Switch to MAC and all these problems will go away...

Easy enough to say but just not practical for most. Plus they have their issues.

If I may add how I resolved this issue on a clients system.

It was a dirty or corrupt cd in the cd rom drive. There were repeated errors in the system logs. Event ID 7 Source cdrom: The device, CdRom0 has a bad block. Once I removed the cd the system returned to normal operations. I guess it is different for everyone as there seems to be no similar related cause to the issue other than the same symptoms.

Computers are like people. There are no two alike. Even if you have identical hardware and software installed they will always be individual.

SeansPCPower Computer Services & Network Maintenance

• Edited by SeanPCP Sunday, September 08, 2013 4:55 AM
    Sunday, September 08, 2013 1:47 AM
  • One thing I am checking is the drive. Do you have Write Caching enabled?  I turned it off and things seem to be improving.  I also cleaned everything with Norton Utilities - got rid of thousands of files - retrieving over 50 GB.

TO TURN OFF WRITE CACHING

To see this go to Control Panel, find System, find Device Manager, find Disk Drives.

Right-click the drive.  Look at the tab Policies. It may say different things depending on whether it thinks it is an external USB or Firewire drive or an internal drive. 

For an internal drive it might say Enable Write Caching on the Device.

SYMPTOMS

I had it enabled and it was causing me to have to refresh Google Chrome pages whenever the first page on opening a browser was read and there were many system hangs - not least when Adobe Creative Cloud was waiting for the network and Photoshop would not be able to save a file. When logging on to Windows 8 the first time, it always said the password was wrong, the 2nd time I entered it, it was OK. Also random restarts of Windows Explorer.

Many of the Event Log entries referred to KERNELBASE.DLL which seems to be not there. I am going to reinstall Windows 8.1 as a precaution. 

Technology Marketing Consultant

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:32 AM
  • This solved the problem for me.  A couple of days, and I've only seen the error once and that was while I was while i was loading up a couple of browsers with lots of open tabs (probably 75-100).

MANY THANKS

I will add that it I have Win 7 Ultimate, so it does affect that version, and I have a Core2Duo 2.4GHz CPU, so it does affect CPUs other than i7's.

-----

Dell E4300 and other

- Windows 7 Ultimate

- New 500GB Seagate HD

- Intel C2D 2.4GHz

- 4GB

Monday, February 10, 2014 7:25 AM
  • @Beda1, not helpful and off-topic
    Im throwing in a Me-Too here, Win7 Ultimate 64 native on MacBook Pro.
    Seems to be App independent. Only way to fix is re-boot.
    Ive followed many of the solutions where applicable, without success. Of note is that the "Resource Monitor" just shows a blank transparent window. The menues ate there but the content area just shows whats behind the window (transparant) . Maybe this is related to the problem?

• Edited by lemoncurry Friday, March 21, 2014 11:56 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 7:44 AM

4. Reboot.

---
    Lenovo Ideapad U400
    8GB RAM

After having issues for several months this solution was the minimalistic choice for me to get rid of them. Let me describe the problems I was having and the hardware/software config.

For several months I've had issues with Firefox and Skype showing "Not responding" in intermittent intervals. Most recently (and a lot more often) I had the same issue in Steam running the game Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark reign. Running any or all of these programs showed that they were "Not responding" at exactly the same time. Sometimes by the time I had alt-tabbed out to Windows from the game the programs were sometimes up and running again but having Skype on top and Firefox running in the background (it had to be doing something active, like a flash video or clicking a link) as soon as Skype froze up, so did Firefox. Mind you these problems are NOT connected to high CPU load. During freeze ups my cores rarely reach higher than 5% and most programs are still running fine. Running a continuous ping in the background showed it was also not a connection issue.

Since both Firefox and Steam are Flash dependent I tried installing both versions 10 and 11 (as supposed to version 12) but this didn't help. If anything Flash Player 10 made it worse. I started suspecting add-ons such as AdBlocker but disabling them did nothing.

I was very close to reinstalling Windows when I found this post and it seemed to have a lot of things common with the THREE computers I had this issue on, all running Windows Ultimate x64, Firefox, ESET Smart Security and Skype. After running every test I could find to determine if there might have been malware or some hardware issue with the HDD (one computer runs a mechanical 2.5" 5400RPM drive and the other SSD) I finally tried the suggestion above. I have now been running my desktop for 24 hours and there has been no freezes. I will eventually try this solution also on the Netbook. If I don't post here again you can assume it worked fine there too.

Here are my two setups...

Desktop:

• ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
    • Intel PQ8300 2,5GHz Quad core
    • 2x AMD HD 6670 (same problem with a ASUS GTX 760)
    • 8GB RAM
    • 128GB SSD
    • Windows 7 Ultimate

Netbook:

• AMD C70 1GHz dual core
    • AMD C70 APU Graphics
    • 4GB RAM
    • 300GB HDD
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    After applying the register change I can NOT confirm that any of my cores are running at any odd speeds. All four cores look just fine and normal idle between 0-5%.
    • Edited by Donald_Duck Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:05 AM