none
Vista x64 Boot Failure - Status: 0xc000000f

Question

• Hello,

So, I know I am not the first to post this, but I haven't found anything to fix this problem. Here is the error, just in case:

File: \Boot\BCD

I have repaired the startup using the Vista installation disk and that works, but after a couple shut downs (usually 1-2), it displays the error again.

I have also tried the following commands in the repair console, which work for 1-2 restarts:

/FixMbr
    /FixBoot
    /RebuildBCD

In addition, I have attempted all of the things mentioned in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/49da9c7b-b354-4cb9-8697-de53a9e4c605/

Nothing seems to work permanently. Each repair yields a temporary fix which fails as mentioned above.

Hope somebody can help because this is very annoying.

[NOTE: I am using RAID as well. I have three drives total. {160 and 2x500} The two 500 are in RAID on ports 1 and 2 while the 160 is on port 0 in non-RAID. The Vista install is on the RAID enabled HDDs. The 160 HDD has no contents at all right now.]

Regards,

John

PS: I was contemplating on running a dual-boot of Linux and Vista since Ubuntu installs the GRUB boot loader. Do you think that would get rid of the Vista boot problems?
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:10 AM

Answers

• Alright. I will try your suggestions out and get back to you with the results.

Thanks again. :)
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, January 05, 2009 7:18 AM
    Friday, January 02, 2009 4:48 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

According to your problem description, I suspect that such an issue might be caused that some third-party software damages the system bootloader. You should perform the following instructions to narrow down the problem.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Hope it helps out!

Friday, January 02, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Alright. I will try your suggestions out and get back to you with the results.

Thanks again. :)
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, January 05, 2009 7:18 AM
    Friday, January 02, 2009 4:48 PM