none
Error Code: 0x8007045D - Windows Cannot Install Req'd Files

Question

• Trying to install build 7000 on an OS-less machine.  Everything works well in the installation until during the unpacking process I get this pop up error message:

"Windows cannot install required files.  Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart in the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D"

Any help? I've tried this twice and have received the same error
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

• You are receiving this error because Setup is unable to validate the Windows image file; it believes it to be corrupt.  There are a number of things that can cause this but most often it's due to "bad media".  Assuming that this ISO you downloaded has a valid CRC check, you should try to :

• reburn media at a very slow rate (I recommend 1x even on good burners)
    • use the best media that you can find
    • avoid ISO mounting utilities that mount the image as a removable drive (while convenient, many of the drivers are prone to CRC errors)

Good luck!

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• I recieved that error the first time I tried to install from within a working copy of Vista 64 to a blank partition.  The next try, I started the install by booting from my DVD drive, and I made sure to leave the install CD in the drive even after file copy was complete and the system had rebooted.  The second try worked, don't know if it was due to my actions or not.

The only other problem I encountered was that the drive with my original Vista partition on it was not visible from within my Windows 7 install.  This was quickly remedied by entering disk management from within Windows 7 and assigning the drive a new letter.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:04 PM
  • You are receiving this error because Setup is unable to validate the Windows image file; it believes it to be corrupt.  There are a number of things that can cause this but most often it's due to "bad media".  Assuming that this ISO you downloaded has a valid CRC check, you should try to :

• reburn media at a very slow rate (I recommend 1x even on good burners)
    • use the best media that you can find
    • avoid ISO mounting utilities that mount the image as a removable drive (while convenient, many of the drivers are prone to CRC errors)

Good luck!

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Well I ran MD5Check on the ISO I downloaded yesterday, and the MD5 calculated matches up with the actual MD5 of build 7000.  I'll burn another copy and update you all with results once I go get some more DVDs.

Meanwhile, I googled "0x8007045D" and a lot of results talk about I/O Device Errors.. is it possible it is a DVD drive error?

Apparently many Vista users have had this same error
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:38 PM
  • spartanerik said:

Well I ran MD5Check on the ISO I downloaded yesterday, and the MD5 calculated matches up with the actual MD5 of build 7000.  I'll burn another copy and update you all with results once I go get some more DVDs.

Meanwhile, I googled "0x8007045D" and a lot of results talk about I/O Device Errors.. is it possible it is a DVD drive error?

Apparently many Vista users have had this same error

Yes, it's possible that the physical device (DVD) is causing the error.  We have seen this failure in the past although a bad burn is more common.

It's entirely believable that your MD5 hash checks out for the ISO.  In fact, it's possible that even once the burn has been completed, the DVD hash is valid as well...until you use that DVD in another physical device or machine.  Even then, it's pretty common to get CRC/HASH errors.

Retail media (the kind you buy at the store) does not have this issue because it's stamped instead of burned.

I would still recommend the slow burning rates and good media.  Combine that with a couple other tricks (you may even consider trying an ISO mounting utility if your physical DVD drive is failing).

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Well it was an individually packed set of Imation DVD-R's, and I've never had one let me down before.  I even set it at a low burn speed (2x).  But before I make another burned copy, is there any way to confirm that the actual downloaded ISO isn't corrupted, despite the MD5? The file size I have is 2618793984 bytes, or 2.43 GB.

I appreciate your response!
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I got error 0x8007045D twice installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a new 640GB hard drive, partitioned 50/50 in a Sony laptop with 4GB RAM.  Tried 2 new Microsoft Windows 7 disks, tried internal DVDRw and external USB DVDRW, once I got error 0x8007021.  any suggestions please?
    • Edited by computab Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:11 PM
    Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:08 PM
  • I'm getting this error with retail media. It started with 

Windows 7 boots to black screen with cursor before login screen and I was never able to get control of the screen so I thought Id install a clean copy of the software from my microsoft disk to a freshly formatted hard drive but no luck on all counts. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:22 PM