none
Corrupt Mouse Cursor Icon

Question

• Every now and then my mouse cursor icon will turn into a bunch of horizontal lines extending the height of the real icon with some of the colors of what it's supposed to be. When I have a game set to hardware cursor the in-game mouse cursor will do the same, look like a bunch of vertical lines with some of the coloring of what the icon is supposed to be. Sometimes this appears to be the cause of a lock-up soon after the icon changes. If it doesn't lock up, the icon may or may not fix itself simply by mousing over other stuff or attempting to change the screen resolution. Sometimes it fixes itself after a few moments, sometimes it can stick for over an hour.

I have a Radeon 4850 video card.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• You have a mouse or video device driver that needs improvement for use in Windows 7. I would look for a driver update from Windows Update.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:45 AM
  • It's worth noting that I had no such problem in the Beta, only in the RC. I'm using the latest drivers provided by ATI for my video card certified for Windows 7 and the default mouse driver, which worked fine. There are no drivers in Windows Update.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:37 AM
  • I had the exact same problem: Windows 7, Radeon 4850 video card and (seemingly random) cursor corruption often followed by a lock-up.

It seems to be a problem with ATI's drivers. The problem disappeared after I...

- re-enabled the "Show shadow under mouse pointer" (unlikely to be the culprit)
    - disabled "Catalyst AI" in the Catalyst Control Panel app (much more likely).

Good luck!

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:22 AM
  • I have the same problem -- and using ATI 4650 card with the latest drivers/catalyst. I only happens rarely and I am using an extended desktop. It seems to fix itself when I click a text box.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:35 AM
  • I had the same exact issue with Windows 7 Home Premium x64.  I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770 card and was using the drivers on the CD it came with (I know...should have known better).  It was especially bad in MS Office applications.  The latest driver from ATI's site (9.12) fixed the problem for me. 
    • Proposed as answer by Metaltark Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:13 AM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:13 AM
  • I get the exact same problem on Windows 7 x64 Professional with my AMD 785G chipset's onboard graphics. I running the bleeding edge 10.1 beta drivers.
    Leith Bade
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Has anyone found the cause of this?

I get the same issue.

ATI 4890, running dual monitors.

Latest drivers for both the card and monitor.

Sorry for the bump
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:40 PM
  • I have the same problem. ATI 4670 running dual monitors, latest driver (just updated yesterday)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Win7 Ultimate, fully patched, latest ATI drivers.

On dual monitors the cursor will get corrupted when moving between monitors, repeating it will often clear it. I haven't had system instability because of this, just a minor annoyance. I think the cause is less to do with the multiple monitors and more to do with the cursor changing between different pointer styles a lot in a short time - e.g. over the corner of one window, onto the desktop and immediately onto another window.  (e.g. pointer to text to horizontal resize to diagonal resize to pointer again in about 5 pixels with a monitor change in between). 

Anyway - the fix for me was to disable "Catalyst AI" in the ATI control panel, it's in the 3d options IIRC.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:38 AM
  • I have an XFX Radeon 5770 with Gigabyte p55-UD3R motherboard.  It doesn't matter what catalyst drivers I have, I still get the cursor corruption.  It mostly happens when moving the cursor between my 2 screens.  When I disable one monitor, I rarely  have the problem.  I can't get the cursor back to normal without a restart. The problem still exists even after disabling Catalyst AI
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:54 PM
  • I get the same issue. It's only started happening in the last week. I've had the system (originally Vista YUK) and now Win 7 for months so I assume there has been an update recently that has introduced the issue.

I have 2 monitors but then I've had them from the start.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:59 AM
  • This is a long-standing problem with ATI video chipsets and dual screen monitors.  We had this problem repeatedly on various systems here at the office running both Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 Business 64-bit.  This problem is always isolated to dual-monitor machines with ATI chipsets, we never see it with nVidia-equipped computers.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:23 PM
  • I had dual monitors before on another ATI dx9 card with no issues.  Does everyone here have a Gigabyte motherboard?

Current config:
    XFX Radeon 5770 HD
    Gigabyte P55-UD3R
    Kingston KHX1800C8D3K2  (8GB) @1800Mhz
    Intel i5 750
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

This is a daily occurrence now.  Mouse cursor becomes jumbled when transitioning from 2nd monitor to primary.  Cursor is always ok on 2nd monitor but not on 1st monitor after the problem occurs.  A workaround is to run magnifier at 100% magnification (no magnification).  This correct the cursor for some reason but you have to deal with an extra app running now.  Upon closing magnifier, the cursor returns to corrupt state. 

I'm thinking of selling this card.  I can't deal with it anymore. 

Saturday, March 06, 2010 8:48 PM
  • I have no idea how you found out this fix, but it worked for me. This distortion was bothering me for a while. Thank you for the "fix".
    Monday, March 08, 2010 4:21 AM
  • I have no idea how you found out this fix, but it worked for me. This distortion was bothering me for a while. Thank you for the "fix".
    So what's the fix? So far the only thing that's worked for me is to enable cursor trails.
    • Proposed as answer by eyeeye Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Many people in other forums are attributing this issue to weak power supplys.   You need a well-rated multi-rail power supply that can put out consistent power under varying loads.  Someone also said they were having the problem with an Nvidia card.  Most of the cheap power supplies can only put out 75% of the wattage they advertise and isn't well balanced among components. 

Supposedly you need a power supply in the $100+ range for unwavering power delivery.  That might be the next thing i try.  I currently have an Antec Earthwatts 650 Watt PSU and it may not be sufficient.  I have 4 HDDs, 4 fans (2 on cpu).  My battery backup says I'm only using 205 watts and I have both monitors connected to it in addition to the PC.  So they're saying that it depends on the constant delivery of the current and some power supplys just don't deliver. 
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hmm. I had exactly the same hardware set-up on Vista HP and this issue did not exist so I can't quite believe it's PSU related. I've tried all the other solutions suggested here and they have not made any difference. I can only think it's some sort of bug in the display driver when relating to twin monitors.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:05 AM
  • There is a mention of a hotfix for catalyst 9.12 in the KB of AMD.

Hotfix for 9.12

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

* Fix for issues with the mouse being enlarged under Windows® 7

I have no issues with two screens using v9.2 and AI turned off.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:04 AM
  • There is a mention of a hotfix for catalyst 9.12 in the KB of AMD.

Hotfix for 9.12

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

* Fix for issues with the mouse being enlarged under Windows® 7

I have no issues with two screens using v9.2 and AI turned off.

Well, I got Catalyst 10.2.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:37 PM
  • So what's the fix? So far the only thing that's worked for me is to enable cursor trails.
    I'm using the suggestion to enable the magnifier. I keep it off to the side and minimized, but it does fix my distortion issue.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 3:52 PM
  • As mentioned before try another version as it happens more frequently in 10.2, have you tried 10.3 or even rolling back to 9.2?
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:17 PM
  • As mentioned before try another version as it happens more frequently in 10.2, have you tried 10.3 or even rolling back to 9.2?

I am running 10.3 as we speak. Still happens.
    Friday, April 02, 2010 8:58 PM
  • I am running 10.3. Happens from time to time. Usually I started Catalyst Control Center Advanced and enable and then disable Catalyst A.I. It usually helps after some time.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:30 PM
  • I used to get this regularly when traversing from one screen to the second. Waving my cursor backwards and forwards between the two screens would fix the issue temporarily.

I installed 10.3 and it hasn't happened once since I installed it.

Phew!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:22 PM
  • I installed 10.3 and it hasn't happened once since I installed it.

It will, don't worry. I've noticed that it has something to do with the monitor's coming out of screensaver mode, but that's just about everything that I can say about it in terms of reproductibility.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:25 PM
  • I just installed 10.4, and it happens much more often!
    • Proposed as answer by Rob Freyder Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:41 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Turning on mouse trail seems to fix the problem.. set trail slider to short.  seems to be a working fix.

EDIT:  pointer trails enabled breaks some games like Team Fortress 2...You get no in-game cursor.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Having experimented with this problem for some time, I can almost certainly declare it is an error in the or lack of bounds-checking when drawing the cursor, and that the buffer for each cursor is display-dependent, and this buffer is cleared when the computer goes to sleep, although I am not yet certain if the bug remains after the display driver crashes and is restored.

I have determined this by noticing some things about how the problem appears.

• In my three display setup, I have two displays horizontal from one another and wall-mounted HDTV above and offset. While my current video card setup limits me to two displays concurrently, when using the two horizontal displays the problem only occurs on the left display, and when doing the left display and the offset HDTV, the problem can only occur on the HDTV.
    • Changing the display layout, including unplugging and re-plugging in displays does not reset the problem. If the cursor becomes corrupted on the left horizontal display, it will remain in that state until I reboot, sleep and wake, and possibly a driver crash would fix it. Reinstalling a display driver does not fix the problem. The buffer that stores the cursor information per display appears to be independent of the display driver, or at least the portion affected by a reinstall. (Should be all, yes?)

This leads me to believe that it is a bounds-checking issue in the DWM. First, because the problem only occurs on a display in which the cursor will be partially drawn and partially offscreen, where the other display would be displaying the cursor if the cursor could be visible on two displays simultaneously. That is, if you move your mouse left to right, the cursor will gradually disappear beginning on the right, and then when the top left pixel is no longer on the left display, the entire cursor will appear on the right display. The problem will only occur on the left display, wherein the cursor, if drawn as an object on the screen, would appear on both displays, but due to the way the display path works, is only drawn on one display. So in a vertical arrangement, the bug only occurs on the top display, in a horizontal arrangement, the bug only occurs on the left display. Second, I believe this is a DWM issue because the problem persists through driver updates but not sleep and wake, at which point I believe the DWM clears itself.

As for the corruption provably being a bounds checking issue, on occasion I have caught the mouse as I am moving it right to left, and noticed corruption and stopped it right on the border. As a result, I can move the mouse in that horizontally constrained space and cause greater corruption where, again, if the cursor were a rectangular box being drawn by a program, it would be visible on both displays, but it is not drawn like that and so is only visible on one. In fact, if I very carefully move the mouse up and down, left and right, I can cause the entire area of the cursor buffer to be "filled in", such that when I finally move the mouse fully onto the left display all I see is a large white square. If I hover over text, it becomes a large blue square with color inversion of text behind it, etc. It is like I have "filled" the cursor buffer with pixels by exploiting the bounds checking bug and the result is a large rectangular region that replaces all cursors that would normally be displayed.

I hope this information is enough to ensure a speedy fix, but as it is, I don't think this is a bug that is easily exploited. It is possible, remotely possible that the bounds checking or buffer overrun bug could lead to an exploit, but the problem is difficult enough to reproduce as it is even through daily use of multiple displays.

All posted code is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY license unless stated otherwise.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:06 AM
  • in Win7, Press START+U, open magnifier and set zoom to 100%. It needs to stay open, but it works.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:47 PM
  • no, it's definitely not due to a weak PSU.  I'm running with a 750W Antec Truepower PSU which is sufficient.  I'm also running dual monitors with an ATI 5770, and got the exact same problem as described above after playing SC 2.  In fact, it actually happened while in SC 2.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:53 AM
  • i got a radeon 5650 with windoze 7 x64 and its same problem as aboves. i found that by turning mouse trails on it corrects the problem, however.. i have now disabled ai in catalyst control and will see if this permenantly fixes it..  cheers :)
    • Proposed as answer by cornishrich Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:03 PM
    Monday, August 02, 2010 9:26 PM
  • ATI Radeon 5870, Windows 7 x64.  I have this problem as well.  Just happened exiting out of Starcraft 2.... sooo anoying, ATI really needs to fix this.

Edit: interesting, opening catalyst control center just now instantly fixed it....

running latest catalyst 10.7

2D driver 8.01.01.1047

Direct 3D 8.14.10.0768

• Edited by Alejandro Orb Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:20 AM update
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:17 AM
  • I guess it magnified your post also:) 

I have a Win 7  64 bit, Radeon 5850 with thie corrupt mouse when gaming, set zoom to 100% and left it open then ran the game.  Mouse was completely gone.  Am still looking for a fix.

I am glad it worked for you.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Same here :-( corruption because ATI + 2 extended displays.

Fix: reboot but it will come back, often when for some reason the curson jumps from 1 screen to another. Yes running the magnifier at 100% and left open "fixes" it.

ATI : dont you use your own cards????!!! I know they are not readinf or obviously dont care ... sad ...

BTW I have noticed corruption with ATI 3650 9.12 drivers and ATI 5550 10.7 drivers ...

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 10:43 PM
  • For what it's worth, I have dual 1600 x 1200 displays, an ATI Radeon HD 4670, and have NEVER seen this problem, neither in the Betas nor in the RTM.

-Noel

Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:55 AM
  • I'm having the same issue on my Laptop which uses 27" LCD monitor as a secondary display

Windows7 64Bit Home Premium

Asus G73JH w/ ATI Mobility HD 5870

Sometimes when you move the cursor back and fourth a couple of times between the screen fixes the issue. I'm going to turn the AI off in the catalyst menu

Friday, October 01, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I'm having this issue with a 6870 on a single monitor which started while playing starcraft II using 10.10c drivers.  PSU is not the issue, but strangely I never had this problem with my 4350 on the same machine.  I haven't rebooted yet nor has my system crashed.  Running w7 x64 with a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.  I also dont see an option to disable catalyst ai in CCC, is this still an option?
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Same issue.

2 x HD 4870 in CrossFireX. Catalyst 10.10 driver. Dual monitors. Never experienced this problem with Catalyst 9.9, 9.10, 10.4, or 10.8.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Same issue.

Radeon HD 6870. Issue first appeared after going from ATI Catalyst 10.10 to 10.10e (10.10e is the 'Hotfix' released on Novermber 9th). Reverted back to 10.10 - no issue. Then tried going from from 10.10 to 10.10a - issue appeared once again.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:20 AM
  • I am having this same problem with a 3x24" set up running Win7x64 on a gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 with Sapphire 5830, latest drivers.  It only ever happens on my middle monitor and it *seems* to have something to do with mousing out of a remote desktop connection that's running full screen on one of the monitors. 
    Monday, November 15, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Same here, corrupted cursor.

Just to confirm, i have dual video card setup, ATI for the primary monitor and nvidia for second and third, corruption only happens on ATI monitor.

Using magnify glass or mouse trail will fix the cursor, but if disable (or close) the distorsion comes back.

If set up mouse trail, and set the trail itself to be the shortest (so it looks like normal mouse pointer) it looks almost like no trail at all so it's kinda "fix" for me for now

(win 7 64 bit, triple monitor, intel I7)

P.S. to setup mouse trail : go to personalization -> Change mouse pointers ->Pointer Options [x] Display pointer trails (and set it to short)

• Proposed as answer by DRY_GIN Friday, November 19, 2010 6:04 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 5:54 AM
  • I've got a 5870, with 10.10 drivers, and have this issue on the LEFT monitor of my 2 monitor set up (non-primary/desktop monitor).  Maybe this will help someone else, but what seems to work for me is going VERY fast back and forth between the two monitors multiple times, just jiggle back and forth right on the border between the two (moving all the way into each).  Stop when the cursor looks correct again, of course :)  Probably if you do it enough you'll corrupt it again too, not sure, so watch for the change :)
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Solution (sort of):

If I jiggle the mouse pointer back and forth quickly between my two monitors, the corrupted mouse icon will return to normal. The longest that I've had to jiggle for is ~3-4 seconds.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 11:08 PM
  • HOVER OVER THE RED X THAT CLOSES YOUR BROWSER AND IT GOES AWAY.

I have the same problem and the same video card and dual monitors Win 7
    • Edited by Dave2298 Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:08 AM error
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:06 AM
  • Similar symptoms here. ATI 5770 card, dual monitors, Win 7 64 bit. Mouse corruption is most common after exiting a game. Several versions of the Catalyst driver updates have not fixed the issue. Some of the workarounds mentioned here work (magnifier, mouse trails), other do not (moving mouse across display boundary quickly).
    Saturday, December 04, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Having the same problem. I just downloaded latest 10.11 drivers for my Radeon 5870 but still the problem persists. I tried disabling Catalyst AI but it did not work. Working on 1900x1200 resolution.Also when i enable cursor trail the cursor is fine but as soon as i disable it it gets corrupted again. Looks like AMD needs to fix this.
    • Edited by MrunalShah Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:10 PM More info
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:07 PM
  • The problem here seems to be caused by Snagit 10, when i capture a flash video . Update Flash Player, Update Video Drivers, Install Intellipoint . Update any browser, In last resort change mouse,keyboard or change USB port. In the very last resort, update everything.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 6:31 AM
  • i got a radeon 5650 with windoze 7 x64 and its same problem as aboves. i found that by turning mouse trails on it corrects the problem, however.. i have now disabled ai in catalyst control and will see if this permenantly fixes it..  cheers :)

Radeon 5750 with 3 monitors, latest drivers.  This has been a consistent problem since going to W7x64 for me, The suggestion of turning on mouse trails fixed it right away!  I set the mouse trails to the minimum setting and the trail is barely noticable.  I don't even see it now that I've been using it for a bit (not focusing on the fact that its there).

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 12:07 AM
  • The suggestion of turning on mouse trails fixed it right away!  I set the mouse trails to the minimum setting and the trail is barely noticable.
    I have the same problem, but that trick works perfectly for me! Thanks a lot!
    • Proposed as answer by alsuz Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:24 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Either the magnifier or the trails on the mouse fix this for me.  But why is it that every time I create a pivot table on my extended screen does the software drop all those lines on the cursor anyway?

So now I know a way to configure modify my machine around this  Which consumes yet more resources I'd rather use elsewhere.  

So Microsoft, a lot of us have this issue.  Own it and fix it please.

Windows7, SATI AHCI Controller ver 9.6.0.1014 on Lenovo ThinkPad

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:34 PM
  • the mouse trail work around has fixed my problem

FYI, I am running W7 64 Prof. on a Toshiba R700 that has Intel HD Graphics and the mouse pointer problem only happens after I use MS Office 2007 Excel Pivot table function

alsuz
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Same problem but only in one of my two screens.

screen 1 : Gateway FHX2300 (23" 1920x1080 5ms) ---> screen where problem appears

screen 2 : Samsung SyncMaster T220 (22" 1680x1050 2ms)

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:50 PM
  • My problem description is quite similar to the one reported by Xremiis. I have Windows 7 HP, 64 bit with ATI Radeon HD 5670 and two 1920x1080 monitors. The corrupted cursor problem happens only on first monitor,  if I move cursor to second monitor, it looks normal. So far this problem has always started during a remote desktop session.

Dell XPS 8100, 8 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Monitor 1 - HP 2159
    Monitor 2 -  DELL ST2220L

The Magnifier workaround by Khalid_zaz worked for me, but that is just a work-around. Other work-around was to put computer to Sleep mode. When it wakes up, the cursor goes back to normal. 

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:31 AM
  • My problem description is quite similar to the one reported by Xremiis. I have Windows 7 HP, 64 bit with ATI Radeon HD 5670 and two 1920x1080 monitors. The corrupted cursor problem happens only on first monitor,  if I move cursor to second monitor, it looks normal. So far this problem has always started during a remote desktop session.

Dell XPS 8100, 8 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Monitor 1 - HP 2159
    Monitor 2 -  DELL ST2220L

The Magnifier workaround by Khalid_zaz worked for me, but that is just a work-around. Other work-around was to put computer to Sleep mode. When it wakes up, the cursor goes back to normal. 

Same here (win 7 x64, Radeon 5870, 2x1920x1080 monitors), but problem starts only while playing World of Warcraft. Really annoying... Magnifier workaround helps, but cursor disappears in game completely, Sleep mode doesn't help. Disabled hardware mouse cursor helps in game, but not in windows - any other tricks? I've basically tried everything I have found, but nothing helps - except rebooting.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:13 AM
  • NVidia 9800 GTK and Win7 x64 Pro, and the usual, dual displays.

It's probably been doing this for some time now, and it's specific to MS Word as far I can see. Moving between the displays or opening the NVidia application seems to be the solution for me.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:06 PM
  • I had the problem when I was using one dvi and one vga connector for my 2 extended monitors.

When I replaced the vga hookup with an hdmi cable, the problem disappeared.

My setup:

ATI Radeion HD5670

2 Samsung Syncmaster T260HD monitors.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hey guys - i was having the same issues as everyone here...

my setup

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (890FX)

ASUS HD6850 ATI single card

3 identical AOC monitors

I don’t really like the way eyefinity spans the monitors for daily work so i only use it when im playing wow but for day to day i use windows to simply extend the desktop. i like the way apps snap rather than being gigantic and difficult to deal with.. anyway i digress... it turns out ATI JUST released version 11.3 (i think) on the 29th of last month (3/29/2011) so i completely uninstalled and deleted all pre-existing ati software and deleted the drivers as well.... bounced and downloaded the 11.3 package (which is here: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx ) and installed... bounced after install everything came up peachy and no funky mouse! So i guess its fixed... let’s hope anyway seems to be fixed for now .

BTW reading the one guys post about "bounds checking in dwm" made my noodle tingle... holy crude.. hey but at least he's trying to help!

Anyway guys good luck... let us know how it works out for you : -)

JoeyFreyre
    Friday, April 01, 2011 8:24 AM
  • yea..... still broken!!! issue came back this morning... maybe the bounds checking guy is right! LOL. So funny that such a widespread problem that is being experienced by SCORES of people isn’t being addressed!

well what can you do!

have a great weekend yall!

Joey

JoeyFreyre
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I've encountered the cursor corruption too and found it was because I use an animated cursor as my main cursor.

I was able to solve the problem WITHOUT having to lower hardware acceleration by turning on Mouse Cursor Trails, and then turning the Trail Length down to the minimum setting.

from: http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=8426&tmpl=

cheers

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:03 PM
  • 2x 2560x1600 displays (ATI Radeon 4800 HD), one screen always running Remote Desktop. I get this problem CONSTANTLY.

The problem always seems to start when the cursor is supposed to change for some mouseover effect, particularly with links. Also happens during regular movment, however.

In my experience, shaking the cursor (especially to the bounds ot the desktop) will eventually fix it, but who knows what exactly it's moving over when it actually remedies. I've found that there's some strange relationship with the W7 "show desktop" button in the bottom right corner. Moving gently over that area sometimes seems to fix it, when moving slowly between the system clock and the show desktop button.

I plan on using the red X trick as well as the mouse pointer trails to fix this, but it's my single biggest pet peeve right now.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Well, remarkably, I have this same problem.

Strangely, it started out of the blue.  My system has been working, without issue, in its current configuration for days, now (it's a new build) without this issue manifesting.  And today...it started!  It's a very minor corruption on the second screen - just a solid white line under the mouse cursor.  But it is exactly as described above:

- Turning on the 'magnifier', set to 100%, solves it...but if I disable the magnifier, it comes back

- Enabling mouse trails makes it go away...but if I turn them off, it comes back

- If I hover over any windows control icons (minimize/maximize/close buttons)

The only 'solution' I've found that's anything CLOSE to an acceptable workaround is to uncheck the 'show shadows under mouse pointer'.  Which isn't GREAT, but at least it doesn't break anything else.

(BTW, as to the power supply suggestion - LOL, no.  This system is a custom build, with a high quality Corsair power supply with more than enough wattage for my system.)

Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Maybe a bit hasty... But, it seems that the cursor problem is solved... Until MS$ comes up with an update/fix...

Cheers

Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:17 AM
  • Yeah I've been having the same problems...

- jiggling mouse between both monitors doesn't help.

- minimum trails helps but i really dislike having trails T_T

- my mouse already has shadows off so turning it on/off didn't help

- magnify 100% works too

I have a Radeon too >_< hope they fix..

Thursday, June 02, 2011 8:56 AM
  • NVidia 9800 GTK and Win7 x64 Pro, and the usual, dual displays.

It's probably been doing this for some time now, and it's specific to MS Word as far I can see. Moving between the displays or opening the NVidia application seems to be the solution for me.

I have a Dell 24" as one display and an HP L1940T as the other.  The mouse pointer frequently changes to a large pointer on the HP display but I couldn't quite work out when.  Now I believe it's just after I have closed Word 2010.  I had to reboot to get the pointer back to normal but it definitely seems to be related to having had Word open as I could repeat the effect.  The magnifier solution has been the best for me but the mouse trails one works too.

ATI Radeon HD4550 and Win7 x64 Pro.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:09 AM
  • FYI, the latest ATI Radeon drivers can be found here:

32 bit Windows 7:  http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-32.aspx

64 bit Windows 7:  http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

-Noel

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Turning on mouse trail seems to fix the problem.. set trail slider to short.  seems to be a working fix.

EDIT:  pointer trails enabled breaks some games like Team Fortress 2...You get no in-game cursor.

This fixed it for me.
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:10 PM
  • For what it's worth, I recently upgraded to a new video card, and kept my old card in my second PCI-e slot to run my second extension monitor. Haven't seen the problem in weeks, which makes me think that the issue is indeed cause in part by multi-screen desktops (whether or not remote desktop is involved).

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Same issue, using a lenovo T400s laptop and an NEC monitor. Mouse cursor is fine on laptop, corrupted on NEC monitor.
    Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Video BIOS: 1989.4
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.2302
    Operating System: Windows 7  Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)
    DirectX* Version: 10.0
    Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Active Digital Displays: 1
    Active Notebook Displays: 1
    Monitor Name: NEC MultiSync EA241WM (Digital)
    Display Type: Digital
    Gamma Value: 2.2
    DDC2 Protocol: Supported
    Nothing is available in Windows Update to fix this.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:17 PM
  • David, see if you can find, download, and install an updated display driver (try directly from your laptop maker or Intel.com in your case).

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by David Kircheis Monday, November 28, 2011 7:32 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:10 PM
  • David, see if you can find, download, and install an updated display driver (try directly from your laptop maker or Intel.com in your case).

-Noel

Noel, Yes, upgrading the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Drive for Mobile from 8.15.10.2302 to 8.15.10.2555 seems to fix the cursor issue. While I had to do this update directly from the Intel site, at least Windows Update didn't back it out on me (as it does with other Intel drivers :-( 

Thanks!

David

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Wow, this seems to have done the job..so far..lol

Anyway, I've thought I had this issue licked a few times before so I'm not going to get too excited about having "The final fix"

I might add that on my system all of a sudden I started hearing audio..kind of like the woman's voice on a GPS device. I fiddled with the 3 choices and the "Follow the Keyboard Focus" option shut her up ;-)

I also pinned the Magnifier to my taskbar as it was suggested that it needs to stay open to work.

Jonathan Frankfurt
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Switch off pointer shadows in the mouse settings> pointers and the problem is solved. 
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 5:03 PM
  • I begun having this issue after a Windows Update; read through all the forums and then noticed that my MONITOR driver had reverted to the Generic PNP driver. I re-installed my specific 2nd Monitor's driver and the issue was resolved. Samsung PS2770FH in my case.
    • Proposed as answer by geconly Friday, July 13, 2012 6:38 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 6:21 PM
  • I fixed this problem by increasing the manual fan control to 55-60% of maximum speed on AMD / ATI Video Card Software.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:53 AM
  • Disabling the Mouse Shaddown in the Mouse Pointer Settings on Control Pannel fixed it for me.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:02 AM
  • I have not found an answer either, but wow your mouse trails point fixed it for me instantly and easily, Thank you good sir
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:48 AM
  • I get this issue when playing Starcraft II; same experiences as the rest of you. Pointer trails and magnifer fix it, nothing else short of restarting does. Fully updated graphics card driver (AMD) and mouse drivers.

For those trying to use magnifier and having no success, you must go to Views in Magnifier and set it to Fullscreen mode or it will not solve your cursor issue.

Once you have it set to fullscreen mode it should work great. I better fix then pointer trails in my opinion.

• Proposed as answer by TheSkunkSC2 Friday, September 13, 2013 8:58 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 8:57 PM
  • The 7 year Itch/Glitch...

I'm using a Vista 32 Home Premium based PC because I can't afford a new system, I have special needs for my aging PC and there is no easy way of getting it...

I had the mouse glitch ( 7 horizontal jagged lines ) for weeks, it was driving me crazy, it seems to have been downloaded from 'Windows Update' in a recent update. I even removed my graphics card and it's drivers, a Sapphire HD7750. I tried the onboard graphics on my PC to see if the glitch went away, and it didn't ! , so it's not the new plug in graphics card drivers, but seems to be a MS download.

I tried some of the above tips but they didn't work for me. The glitch was affecting my online experience, I had to find a way of getting rid off it. Some of my mouse icons seem to be missing in the mouse icon options, the text is there but not some of the graphic icons ??? Here is what I did to get rid of my 7 year itch/glitch lol!...

In the 'Start/ Start search' pane I typed 'mouse' the mouse options window pops up, I selected 'Pointers' then selected the 'Scheme' pane and a list pops up for all the different mouse Schemes, I then selected (None) at the top of the list. I found it worked for me. I also tried using other 'Schemes' like ' Windows Black (Scheme) ' That also got rid of the horizontal line glitch. I can now get on with my photo and art editing ( Hurray!)

Is there any official MS download that fixes the mouse icons/registery corruption???

I hope this temporary fix will help some of you, this can also be tried in Windows 7, I would like to know if my simple method works for others.

Happy computing,

Clivvs, onboard 'Arkus 2' out in the dark just below 'The Double Cluster'.

• Edited by Clivvs Friday, October 25, 2013 3:55 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Yup olli holliday... your solution worked for me :) thank you
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 7:01 PM
  • I had this problem: computer would freeze randomly, and cursor would change icons randomly.

Selecting the "shadowing" option in Mouse setup cured it.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:01 PM
  • I run dual monitor + 2x CrossFireX Radeon HD 5850 card.

I have the same problem, mouse cursor gets very buggy, and magnifier works for browsing the internet, but when playing a game with magnifier will completely hide the cursor. So its a bad workaround. :( 

It has been 4+ YEARS and this bug is still not fixed! WTF?!

Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:06 AM
  • The mouse trail is an okay workaround but I still can't find a proper solution.
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:13 PM
  • It has been 4+ YEARS and this bug is still not fixed! WTF?!

The problem is likely with your specific setup, not Windows in general.  Always remember that your drivers are specific to your hardware, and they're often written by companies other than Microsoft.

My first advice, as before:  Look for an updated display driver - e.g., ATI Catalyst 13.12 or NVidia 331.82 - from the web site of the maker of your video card.

If that doesn't work or there just isn't a recent update for your hardware, then it's possible your hardware is simply falling out of date and you need to consider an upgrade.  In that case, look for an after-Christmas sale and consider getting a new, modern video card.  It's not the kind of thing that you need to live with considering some very, very good video cards that work perfectly with Windows and are likely faster than the one you have can be had for between $100 and $200.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, December 29, 2013 1:01 AM
  • Someone below said that they fixed it by turning on a pointer trail and putting it at the lowest trail setting. I've had this problem a lot, and I just figured out that turning pointer shadow on also works. 
    Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Mouse (under devices and printers) 
    Select the pointers tab and check the "enable pointer shadow" button and apply. Cleared it right up for me.
    Monday, December 30, 2013 4:41 PM
  • I have this same issue. My specs are unimportant. 

I'm just here to state I disabled Windows updates years ago and never got any of them manually.

I have updated ATI Catalyst many times. 

Maybe I can rule out a bad Windows update just this one time. :)

Sunday, January 05, 2014 2:47 AM
  • I ran across a possibly unrelated issue over on the Adobe site some time ago, and it just occurred to me to connect it with this thread...  They reported one possible workaround to a corrupted cursor was to change the desktop "size of all items" setting from one of the standard settings to a custom setting that was very close to the same - e.g., change 150% to 149% - via the Custom sizing options link.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, January 05, 2014 3:55 AM
  • I had this issue after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Most annoying. Enabling mouse trails, a suggestion on the thread, fixed it.
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 5:36 AM
  • And this issue is still going strong. 

I have an nVidia 560TI so, it's not video card related.

The pointers trail activation workaround did the trick, but as some have reported, turning it back off just has the problem show up again. 

However, doing that, and then changing the theme of the desktop to Windows 7 Classic mode, then back to Aero, then turning pointer trails off, fixed the pointer (at least for the time being). 

Before that, the pointer was corrupted, changing to the wrong shape for the wrong action, or as describe, turning into a weird sort of wrong resolution version, and causing the computer to freeze briefly every ten seconds or so. 

Thursday, January 09, 2014 8:07 PM
  • HOVER OVER THE RED X THAT CLOSES YOUR BROWSER AND IT GOES AWAY.

I have the same problem and the same video card and dual monitors Win 7
    Is it not a white X?
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:15 PM
  • THANK YOU...this is the only thing that worked for me too ...but when I turn the cursor tails off the cursor looks a mess again :( ...I have a single monitor
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:37 AM
  • The only method that prevents it from coming back for me is to set the Mouse Pointer Scheme to (None). (Win7/8.1)
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:39 PM
  • I get this cursor malfunction from time to time, if rarely,  with the cursor right now being a single dotted vertical line, and i need to click just below an item, but i see no any reason for this. Nothing in event log, and it is highly doubtful it has to do with the PSU, which is a CORSAIR 430 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE SLI/CROSSFIRE, running ASRock 970 EXTREME3 mobo; AMD 6350 3.9ghz 6 core 64bit cpu; 8gb ram, and a cheap PowerColor Go! Green AX5450 1 GB 64 bit Video Card.  

The cpu is almost idle, and only one HD is attached.  All have the latest drivers and w.8.1 updated. 

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:32 AM
  • I wouldn't be surprisedd... dwm.exe does not seem to be compatible with a dual-monitor setup - it also bugs out if a program on a secondary monitor has hardware acceleration enabled.
    Saturday, May 31, 2014 2:51 AM
  • I don't think the power supply matters.  I have a 750 watt power supply and I still have the issue.

Mike Gideon

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:16 PM