none
Will my files and documents be deleted when installing Windows 7?

Question

• Will I still have all my personal files after installing Windows 7
    or will they all be gone?  I´m running Vista now.

Regards
    Dan
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:06 PM

Answers

• they will still be there, if you do an upgrade, they will most likely end up in a folder called windows.old(depending on how your hard-drive is configured), which you can still access. If you do a full install it depends where and how you install, but the files will still be there, However ALWAYS do a backup first as this is a BETA OS, and there is a RISK you MAY loose your files. Obviously if you do a format and install then anything on that drive will be gone. I installed Win 7 on a seperate drive, my main was partitioned to 3 OS, Games and documents and utilities, Win 7 happily gives me access to my documents and utilities and games partitions, straight off, and if i wanted to i could set a drive letter and path so that it could see the XP OS patition, but it doesnt need to therefore i havent done so.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:34 AM
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:17 PM

All replies

• they will still be there, if you do an upgrade, they will most likely end up in a folder called windows.old(depending on how your hard-drive is configured), which you can still access. If you do a full install it depends where and how you install, but the files will still be there, However ALWAYS do a backup first as this is a BETA OS, and there is a RISK you MAY loose your files. Obviously if you do a format and install then anything on that drive will be gone. I installed Win 7 on a seperate drive, my main was partitioned to 3 OS, Games and documents and utilities, Win 7 happily gives me access to my documents and utilities and games partitions, straight off, and if i wanted to i could set a drive letter and path so that it could see the XP OS patition, but it doesnt need to therefore i havent done so.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:34 AM
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Thanks.  I was unsure if I had to make a format before installing Windows 7.
    But since that´s not the case, I will go right ahead and install it.

One more question. What happens in august when I have to reinstall Vista. Does I have to make a format there. Or will my files get deleted anyway?

Monday, February 02, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I believe that will depend on how you have installed 7 if its an upgrade, there might be an option to uninstall it(not sure about this as im dual booting on seperate drives with XP). If its a custom full install onto a seperate partition(ie a dual boot), then i suspect that as long as you change the boot order of the operating system you will just be able to format the partition/drive that has & on it and continue using Vista. However as i said im using XP, and i have it on a totally seperate drive, so my XP is ready to go immediately.What i would advise doing is making regular backups, certainly make a full backup of anything you cant afford to loose before you start in case you hit problems. then make backups when your running 7, ive installed 4 times now. original install, 1 thinking i had a bug, which was actually a faulty mouse, then a re-install that if i had had a current system image i wouldnt have had to do, then the 4th time was installing onto a 1TB drive instead of the 80GB drive i started testing on.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Ok. Thank you.
    By the way; Real men don´t make backups. They cry when the files are lost.  ;-) 
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:47 PM
  • haha i store all my important files on different partitions to the OS, and have all the driver files and software i need to get the pc up and running again if things go really bad. I do - do backups of important information every so often, just in case of total drive failure. I was upset years ago when a drive failed and i lost 250 MB of files....
    Monday, February 02, 2009 8:51 PM
  • So do I.
    I have learned the lesson.  The hard way...
    Monday, February 02, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I think the real answer to the question is that you shouldn't install beta software on a computer where you are concerned about data loss. Many have even gone so far as to install Windows 7 on a completely separate hard disk and move the SATA/IDE and power cables to this disk whenever they want to test Windows 7.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 9:29 PM