none
CPU fan speed

Question

• Hello,

I was recently forced to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP and now the CPU Fan is constantly at 100%. Other operating systems on this computer have no trouble leaving the BIOS regulate the fan speed as it should, it's only Windows 7 that keeps it running at full speed. I have checked and the CPU seems to be downclocking normally and the CPU speed is stable at 35°C. How do I tune Windows 7 to lower the CPU fan speed or at least leave it alone?

Thanks.

LP,

Jure

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:52 AM

All replies

• might take a look at your Poser Options.

or might take a look at a program called
    Speed Fan.
    it can adjust the fan speeds, not just cpu but all of them.

<MARQUEE bgColor=#ffff00 height=22 behavior=alternate width="35%" scrollAmount=2 scrollDelay=9>mikeyhsd@hotmail.com</MARQUEE>

"Jure Sah" wrote in message news:8254d3e2-73cd-413a-af86-21203e8c1402...

Hello,

I was recently forced to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP and now the CPU Fan is constantly at 100%. Other operating systems on this computer have no trouble leaving the BIOS regulate the fan speed as it should, it's only Windows 7 that keeps it running at full speed. I have checked and the CPU seems to be downclocking normally and the CPU speed is stable at 35°C. How do I tune Windows 7 to lower the CPU fan speed or at least leave it alone?

Thanks.

LP,

Jure

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:52 PM
  • How do you get the information of the fan speed? Maybe the information is incorrect. Additional reason is that your BIOS is not compatible with Windows 7.

Please install the latest Windows 7 compatible BIOS. Also I suggest you access the following website to try to find a Windows 7 compatible tool.

SpeedFan for Windows 7 - Freeware monitors hardware - Windows 7 Download

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Why does it take third party tools to adjust Windows 7 system settings?
    • Proposed as answer by Abdiessa Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:53 PM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:40 AM
  • My information is correct because I get my fan speed information by listenining. It sounds like a jet and it doesn't in other OSes.

Why do computers (and their BIOS) need to be especially compatible with Windows 7, but work just fine with every other OS out there?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Hi Jure,

update your BIOS, so that Windows can use the Power Management function from your CPU and can reduce the frequency when the PC is idle to reduce the fan activity.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:36 PM
  • BIOS is the newest and... I did mention that everything works fine on other OSes. Cool and quiet works fine. Fan speed is still a problem.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:33 PM
  • You may contact the support of the motherboard or computer manufacturer to query if the latest BIOS is compatible with Windows 7.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:18 AM
  • So in other words, the difference between paying for an OS and getting it for free is that with the OS you pay for, you get to have a Microsoft employee reassign the blame for you to other companies which have nothing to do with the bugs in Microsoft software.

Gee thanks. You know the moment I see a glimer of a chance to get rid of this crapware, I'll put every effort into getting rid of it. I'm sure my employer won't mind me saving them a couple thousand € of Microsoft Tax every year.

Friday, May 28, 2010 11:52 AM
  • I went through the same issue with 100% CPU fan speed when I installed 7, and I researched it until I was blue in the face.

I am not affiliated with Microsoft; I'm just a computer user who benefits from the knowledge gained from these forums.

Yes the BIOS and OS have to be compatible. In older OS's things worked differently then in today's modern OS's in relation to how hardware and software interact. There is a plethora of information available to explain all of this if you choose to spend the time requisite to learn it all.

In the end, after spending hundreds of hours learning, I decided to install Speed Fan which I intend to remove once (or if) the manufacturer of my motherboard has a BIOS which will control CPU fan speed in 7.

It is the duty of the BIOS to work with the OS, not the other way around. This is not a shortcoming of the OS but a "catching up" of the BIOS which is the responsibility of the motherboard manufacturer.

Speed Fan is free and on my system I do have to click it to open it and set my fan speed (I use 75%) every time I start the system. For me that's simple because I start a system and it's on until something turns it off, which can be up to a year. For someone whose system starts or restarts frequently they may choose to integrate a startup script to have this happen automatically.

My other choice was to leave XP on on the system but I chose to go with 7 and Speed Fan.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Hello Bro!

what type computer you have....like

CPU, Ram, Hard Disk, VGA, Sound..................etc.......

same of deivce like cpu p4 will take a heat..........if you upgrade the old os to new os

Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:57 PM