none
Windows XP Error: The Parameter Is Incorrect when trying to print from the photo printing wizard

Question

• My operating system is "Windows XP Home." I have tried to print a multitude of photos using the "Photo Printing Wizard." When I click the link icon in the "Photo and Fax Viewer," I get the error code; The Parameter Is Incorrect. I have noticed that the icon displayed in the "Control Panel" folder has at some time changed and displays the name "Folder" rather than "Printers and Faxes." I have made every attempt to change it back, including removing and reinstalling my printer but to no avail. I can't remove the file or find the root of that folder in "windows." It seemed to me that the file path has changed because of a name change of this file in the path. However, I can still use an installed printer and other print software. Incidentally, when I reinstall any printer, I do see the appropriate printer in this folder in the "Control Panel" but it is still labeled "Folder" in the "Control panel." The shimgvw.dll file is registered correctly that I can tell. If I try to launch the "Photo and Printing Wizard" from the link at the left in the "Control Panel" itself, I just get an error beep but no error code. The wizard still does not launch. This wizard is a very important tool to use to print many selections at once. I haven't used it in a while, so, I don't know when it first changed. Any thoughts?, Anybody? Is there a separate install package for the photo wizard to reinstall from Microsoft?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion, however, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer but no changes in the issue. All printers work fine. I can print any document I choose, including photos with any other program except the "Photo Printing Wizard." Only when I try printing any photo from the "Photo and Fax Viewer" print icon or the link at the left column in the "Control Panel," the wizard does not launch. The wizard does not launch period. I have scanned for windows system errors using the run prompt "scannow" but still no changes in the problem. The "SHIMGVW.DLL" is also registered properly. If there was a separate install pack, I would try reinstalling that. There isn't one to be found.

Garth.

• Marked as answer by G.H. Darr Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:52 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:35 PM
  •         THIS WILL RESOLVE THE ISSUE

1.   Click   Start> Run type, REGSVR32 photowiz.dll  click  OK

NOTE: leave a space between the two.

DONE!!

This will re-register the "Photo Print Wizard" and it will work.

* However this does not resolve the renaming issue in the "Control Panel"          "Printers and Faxes." That remains a mystery I hope to solve.

2.     If you do not know if you have this module,DO A SEARCH using the Search Tool in "Start"

3.    If the search shows nothing in the directory... (drive letter)\Windows\System32, then find the directory(drive letter)\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386,   Scroll to the module; photowiz.dll  and "Copy and Paste" to your windows operating folder directory as mentioned above. Your drive letter depends on where you originally installed "Windows XP." It is usually  drive letter"C"

5.    If you had to "Copy and Paste" this module into your operating system folder. You will then need to re-register the module by method mentioned earlier.

Thank-you, GARTH

• Marked as answer by G.H. Darr Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:53 AM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:52 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the suggestion, however, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer but no changes in the issue. All printers work fine. I can print any document I choose, including photos with any other program except the "Photo Printing Wizard." Only when I try printing any photo from the "Photo and Fax Viewer" print icon or the link at the left column in the "Control Panel," the wizard does not launch. The wizard does not launch period. I have scanned for windows system errors using the run prompt "scannow" but still no changes in the problem. The "SHIMGVW.DLL" is also registered properly. If there was a separate install pack, I would try reinstalling that. There isn't one to be found.

Garth.

• Marked as answer by G.H. Darr Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:52 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:35 PM
  •         THIS WILL RESOLVE THE ISSUE

1.   Click   Start> Run type, REGSVR32 photowiz.dll  click  OK

NOTE: leave a space between the two.

DONE!!

This will re-register the "Photo Print Wizard" and it will work.

* However this does not resolve the renaming issue in the "Control Panel"          "Printers and Faxes." That remains a mystery I hope to solve.

2.     If you do not know if you have this module,DO A SEARCH using the Search Tool in "Start"

3.    If the search shows nothing in the directory... (drive letter)\Windows\System32, then find the directory(drive letter)\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386,   Scroll to the module; photowiz.dll  and "Copy and Paste" to your windows operating folder directory as mentioned above. Your drive letter depends on where you originally installed "Windows XP." It is usually  drive letter"C"

5.    If you had to "Copy and Paste" this module into your operating system folder. You will then need to re-register the module by method mentioned earlier.

Thank-you, GARTH

• Marked as answer by G.H. Darr Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:53 AM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:52 AM