Full Screen Game annoyed with charms and thumbnail bars

Question

• In a full screen game (Age of Conquerors for my testing), in the Windows 8 Release Preview, when I go to the bottom left corner the thumbnail bar appears and the bottom right corner the charms bar appears.  This is inappropraite behavior for a full screen game.  The game operates by the mouse moving the view of the screen around with the mouse going against the side of the screen.  Obviously it will go to the bottom left and right of the screen a lot and the thumbnail and charms bars should NOT appear.  They provide distractions and annoyances to the full screen game.  The point of the full screen game is so it will take preference over the other things going visually.  This NEEDS to change!

I tested AOE Online, the latest MS Offering of the Age of Empires game and it does have the charms and thumbnail turned off during the game operation.  So this can be done programatically.  But what about programs/games that were developed before Windows 8 that run in full screen mode?  Can a compatibility option be made to disable the charms/thumbs bars during operation of the program/game?

Is there a way at this time for a program to turn the corner bars off while it is operational?

Corey Ames

• Edited by Mr Crusher Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:21 PM Add new information
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know if other full-screen games also meet this issue?

Please run the game in Compatibility Mode and see how it works.

If just Age of Conquerors meets the issue, please also go to the support for PC games for help:

Support for PC games common problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/games-for-windows

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Nicholas,

Thanks for replying.  I have tried different compatibility modes to no avail.  I do not have other games installed that go into full screen mode - just this one. I will attempt to install some others, but they are older games than this one.  Still, it will tell you what you wanted to know.

Corey Ames

Friday, June 08, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I have played some newer titles on my machine running Win8 and have experienced issues with some of them, most notably Tribes: Ascend and Guild Wars 2. It also happens when watching full screen video with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.  In my case, the application running at full screen minimizes and returns to full screen mode without being prompted. I am using a Nvidia card with the latest beta driver (306.02). Compatibility mode does nothing to resolve the issue.
    • Edited by migdaddy Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:24 AM grammar correction
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:23 AM