updates were not configured correctly. REverting changes.

Question

• I was installing updates last night and my computer shut down while installing them.  Now my computer just keeps shutting itself off and saying the same thing, Updates were not configured correctly.  Reverting changes.  Do not turn off your computer.  Then it shuts down and goes thru the same thing.  The lap top is only a month old.  The computer won't work.  Just turn on and turn off?

Any ideas?  I can't even move the mouse....

Tony Blakeslee

Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:53 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Currently, I suggest trying a System Restore in WinRE using the following steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard as you normally would and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:59 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue? 

Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:24 PM
  • I had the same problem this morning.  Try hitting F8 on boot and that will take you to advanced options.  Try the tip on this page:

http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/alexark/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=5

Once you make the change on the command prompt, restart and hit F8 and do a system restore.

Hope this works for you.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:52 PM
  • I tried all of the options of rebooting offered with the F8 key.  It keeps going back to the same thing.  It is an Acer compute (last Acer I will ever have!).  There is no support number for Acer, and my microsoft help never got me anywhere.  Any other ideas?

Tony

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:34 PM
  •  

Hi,

Currently, I suggest trying a System Restore in WinRE using the following steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard as you normally would and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:59 AM
  • I have tried the recovery cd method you have mentioned here, but after it begins to boot from the recovery disk, it looks like it is starting up by going to the microsoft corporation sign with the green bar moving across the screen, then the screen goes black......and stayes that way. Any more suggestions? I have hooked up the drive to another computer as the slave, and all the files are still there and accessible, so I know the drive works ok, but am at a loss for what else I can do. I'm so tired of seeing the same screen saying that "Updates were not configured correctly, Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer." Please, please help me.

-Salty

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Same problem for me!  Windows update installed a bunch of updates on my Vista Home Premium (SP1) system.  Now I can't use it!

Addendum

I tried the System Restore suggestion, and that seemed to work.

My only problem now is what to do with all of the security updates that Windows Update tried to install.  I assume I need them, but if one or more of them continues to screw up my system, I can not afford to try!

• Proposed as answer by latwin Monday, September 19, 2011 8:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:44 AM
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 2:35 AM
  • I got home from work today and found mine rebooted and when I tried to log on the mouse locked up and I rebooted and the endless Updates were not configured correctly. Revertling changes. started.  I will try the system restore, if not probably a long night with tech support. Urg!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:07 AM
  • As I mentioned before, the advice of using the System Restore repair on the Vista installation disk worked.  Everything was set back to pre-updates.  The system though still wanted to install the new updates that had messed up my computer once before.

Sometime later though, during the night, Windows Update automatically installed the same updates again.  This time though it seemed to work, as I can restart my system properly.

Looking at my update history, the updates that "failed" previously were:

Update for Windows Junk Mail E-mail Filter (KB905866)

Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista (KB948881)

Update for Windows Vista (KB938371)

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB941693)

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB948590)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB947864)

I can only assume that one or more of the above updates caused the original problem.

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:06 PM
  • I had the same problem yesterday, and it was a nightmare.  I have a solid quad-Pentium system that I loaded Vista Ultimate plus SP1 on 6 weeks ago. I have made no changes to the hardware whatsoever, nor loaded any drivers since that time.  Yesterday, for the first time (and believe me, the last), I clicked on one of the optional recommended Microsoft updates.  No, I don't remember which because I never got recovered to even check the log.  The "shutdown and update" stuck on the 3d update and then announced it was reverting changes.  Then, the machine cycled between trying to update and reverting changes for an hour.  Then, I booted in Safe mode which had absolutely no effect on the cycle, it just went right ahead with updates and reversions, except now every time it tried to install the 3d update, it would kick me into the Blue Screen of Death.  Then, I tried loading from the original DVD and I was told I had no restore points.  Of course I did, I had checked them the prior day, so those had been wiped out.  In the end, I wasted a day and had to install Vista all over again (not a big problem), plus 40 applications and development tools (a big problem).  Meanwhile, Vista didn't ask where I wanted the %WINDIR% directory, and decided to put it on my second drive while maintaining the boot and page file on my first, which is a pain to remember.

Apparently, there is no "repair" as in XP where you can just get Vista to repair the system by reverting files to the original DVD.  Which means if you have no restore points, you have to do a complete reinstall.  Why not, as a last result?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:07 PM
  • Two months old and frustrated.

Former Problem:
    Was running Vista 64bit. Came with 32 bit recovery discs and made my own 64bit discs. Had a BIG problem last week. Could not boot up etc. Took it to a tech shop even. Sorry could not do anything other than a complete re-install. Took it home and did it myself. Installed the 32 bit version because some programs etc have a problem with 64 bit, but that is another story. (hmmm...have a legal copy of XP...maybe I will use that...)

Problem:
    Now, as in immedicately after the re-install, which leads me to beleive that restore points are useless in this case.
    Windows on booting up wants to install updates, goes to configuring, then says "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes." This whole process takes at least 20 minutes.

Neither the recovery discs that came with the computer, nor the discs I made contain the phrase "Repair your computer." It is either re-install or nothing.

There are 39 updates which do not install. Half of which are security updates.

Any concrete solutions?

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:24 PM
  • I cannot tell you what the cause of the problem is but I can tell you how I overcome the problem! Like all of you I suffered with  "Updates were not configured correctly.Reverting changes." Then I thought that if I download the "updates" in small batches, i.e. 2 to 4 at a time, then if there is 1 update that is causing the problem then I have narrowed it down! In fact by doing this "ALL" updates downloaded and installed without any problems! Has I said earlier: if there were any problems then at least by process of elimination you could identify the Rogue download and probably recieve an error code which you could have worked from! I sincerly hope this helps!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Thanks Alanjd, I used your suggestion with success!

I have a brand new laptop 64 bit and for the life of me could not get the 40+ updates installed and continually received this same message "Updates were not configured correctly.Reverting changes."  

MS help sent me steps to take but I really only know how to turn on and off the computer so I was a little apprehensive to do the clean boot install as they suggested.

So, I sorted the updates by published date and then installed in batches too and voila - takes a while but all are now fully installed.

Thanks again.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:41 PM
  • I have been through exactly the same problems! For weeks to be honest! I tried everything. The standalone SP1 package as well as Windows Update - installing all patches in one go and also trying to do thhem step by step. Eventually the procedure got into a loop and I had to revert to a clean install, wiping out everything. Luckily, I have an HP laptop with a second partition with clean OS install files for such occasions, wisely provided by the manufacturer. A ll it took was F8 at startup. I lost all data and program files, but I only use this as a traveling companion and sync it with my main PC on a regular basis. Once I had a clean install of Vista the SP1 installed with no issues. Perhaps there was some dodgy app that stopped SP1 to run smoothly. Shame on MS for providing such unstable code. Steffen.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:01 AM
  • jbahr is right there is no cure other than a fresh install of the operating system which is a pain in the ____. All I can say is the billion boy and his cracker jack team better get there ____ together or they will have the same issue with Windows 7 and I recommend that NOBODY buy windows 7 until the billion boy fixes this sloppy work. And to all the hackers out there who can create key gens and activate vista my praise to you we need more of you because i am soooo sick of this sloppiness of a operating system. Bill I want my 329.00 plus tax refund because you don't deserve my buisness!!! 
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:07 PM
  • I had a similar problem, but my fix was a lot easier.  I have Windows automatic updates set "on" for my machines on the initial reboot I had the Blue Screen on one computer (the only Vista one in my office).  On a hunch and advice from the system consultants for my office (I have 9 computers and it only happened on the one), I rolled back my ATI Catalyst Drivers to a previous version in safe mode for that machine. I then rebooted and everything went well on the update from there (there was no video in the automatic update).  It seems the new ATI drivers were not cooperating with the Windows update.  I'll just what a few months because I am not a gamer and don't need the latest ATI Video drivers.  The old ATI ones worked fine.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:33 AM
  • I just installed Vista on my new MacBook Pro using Parallels. Everything went incredibily well until I tried updating stuff at msft's suggestion. I had all the problems noted above. Eventually I had to force quit Parallels. I put it aside for a day. Booted up the Pro this afternoon and opened Parallels/Vista and the same thing happened except this time after the reversion, Vista opened. I do note a lot of failed attempts to update things. Maybe it has to cycle through once for each failed update. I didn't have to reinstall. Vista rocks on a MacBook!
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:26 PM

• On the date of 28th August 2009 around about 9.30am, switching on the PC (which is a brand new Dell Windows Vista computer of only 6 months old) at home, after the Microsoft Corporation page loaded and my computers manufacturers page showed it then went to an 'Configuring Updates 3 of 3. 0% Complete. Do not turn off your computer'. But, the PC rebooted and then returned to this 'Configuring Updates 3 of 3. 0% Complete. etc etc' page again, and to then reboot. And so forth...
    My first thoughts were that the updates for the day before (27th August 2009) had been disturbed as I had noticed the update symbol in the system icon tray already at 11% when the PC had been first switched on, and to download the update no further. Hence to ignore the status.
    Or, the previous updates from the past day or two had done something unusual I never seen before. On the load up page where Microsoft Corporation usually appears, a blank screen appeared and had scanned for registry files and either took a registry or placed one I do not know.

Either way, on the 28th August 2009 the PC could not load to desktop. Unfortunately, I had no idea of system restoring or repairing from Installation disk but had rebooted the whole system from installation disk and am now at manufacturers settings.
    Noticing with some postings above, how updates are still seemingly trying to install as I had 58 that wanted to re-install as from when the system got back to default. But some still have problems and keep reverting changes.
    Something I wish not to happen everyday on the automatic updating.

How can I filter the updates, to install the ones that will complete with the ones that do not configure and cause to revert back, so the computer do not take too long with the update system? Considering how the computer is brand new Windows Vista from Dell of only February 2009.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:09 PM

• Noticing with some postings above, how updates are still seemingly trying to install as I had 58 that wanted to re-install as from when the system got back to default. But some still have problems and keep reverting changes.
    Something I wish not to happen everyday on the automatic updating.

How can I filter the updates, to install the ones that will complete with the ones that do not configure and cause to revert back, so the computer do not take too long with the update system? Considering how the computer is brand new Windows Vista from Dell of only February 2009.

May I now add, how majority of updates needed to install have finally done so. Makes me want to cry sometimes.
    Anyway, there were two mentioned that failed;

PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Realtek - Network - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

However, the 'Realtek - Network - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' had installed a day prior whether this is due to it failing this time around.
    As for 'Powerpoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)' I do not use on my system anyway although it mentions as being important to update.

Maybe it will appear again on the next lot of installments?!

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I just read your proposed actions, I had the same problem. By removing the ATI Catalyst Control Center and the ATI driver solved the problem and I can now update Vista
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:31 PM
  • I discovered the ATIdriver was not thr cause of my problem,two services, both to IE have caused the rest of the sevices not being installed. So, by ovoiding IE8 and KB972260 (cumulative security service to IE7, I bypassed the problem. I now have to fix IE but that abother case.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:14 AM
  • I'm having this same problem.

I just bought the computer YESTERDAY.  My HP doesn't come with backup discs for Vista or system install..... this was the first time I had turned off the computer and rebooted (to install those 24 updates it begged me to finish).

I've read 20 forums... and now I'm on the phone with Varun in India with MS Vista SP1 customer support...

After spending 5 hours yesterday setting up the computer to my liking...

They made me hit F11 and perform a recovery, and a factory image recovery...

buh-bye hard work from yesterday (which isn't nearly as annoying, I realize, as loosing an itunes directory, or all of your child's photos...etc...)

I did the whole safe mode, F8, reboot, F8, system recover, system restore before resorting to this...

Without Vista install discs - I didn't see much of another option.

Can't wait for Windows 7.0 - who knows what fun we have in store for us when we switch.......................................

I only bought this computer because it has a free Win 7.0 upgrade...

Should have waited a month before using the computer, apparently....

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:27 PM
  • I will say this - it's been taking HOURS - but the Microsoft service tech has been on the phone, online chat or taking over my computer through east assist throughout the entire process...

My computer is downloading service pack 2 right now - and they claim this will fix the incompatabilities of hardware and software (still don't like that they are blaming HP... and by default, when I see above... ACER, ASUS, Dell, Compaq, etc... instead of admitting it's a MS VISTA problem)...

Seems insane that this is one month away from their Win 7.0 launch.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Same problem on a brand new SONY Vaio 64b+ Vista Ultimate Update
    Some update with IE8 
    I dislike them both Micro$oft and A$$le. 
    The solution is get something that works than close the auto update and forget about it. It will NOT make the computer work better.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:30 PM
  • I had the same problem, what I did and work is gained access to the computer either normal or safe mode ( this happens when you hit F8 as the operating system is booting up and clicking safe mode) then To resolve this problem, delete the .blf files and the .regtrans-ms files from the %Windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine folder.

To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Log on as an administrator.
    2. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, click Run as administrator, and then click Continue.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following commands.  Press ENTER after each command.

cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
      attrib -s -h * 
      del *.blf
      del *.regtrans-ms

4. Restart the computer.
    After you restart the computer, the registry regenerates the deleted files. These regenerated files are in a consistent state.

Then go and do your updates and do your updates. I spent many days trying to figure out what happened here, thanks to information I found on Technet and putting everything together I found the answer. If this helps you let me know.

George
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:29 PM
  • I had the same problem, what I did and work is gained access to the computer either normal or safe mode ( this happens when you hit F8 as the operating system is booting up and clicking safe mode) then To resolve this problem, delete the .blf files and the .regtrans-ms files from the %Windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine folder.

To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Log on as an administrator.
    2. Click Start,  type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, click Run as administrator , and then click Continue .
    3. At the command prompt, type the following commands.  Press ENTER after each command.

cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
      attrib -s -h * 
      del *.blf
      del *.regtrans-ms

4. Restart the computer.
    After you restart the computer, the registry regenerates the deleted files. These regenerated files are in a consistent state.

Then go and do your updates and do your updates. I spent many days trying to figure out what happened here, thanks to information I found on Technet and putting everything together I found the answer. If this helps you let me know.

George
    This worked for me.  I've had this problem for about a month now and the server keeps trying to install everyday and reboots.

My OS is: Windows 2008 Enterprise Server 64bit (Primary Domain Controller)
    It kept failing on two updates:
    Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB974455)
    Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition

Thank You Very Much!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Hi

same problem here on a windows 2008 R2. I cannot delete the files because being use.

same problem in safe mode ?

so who has the solution ?

THX

Koen

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Delete files, using a Linux Live CD.

Worked for me.

Regards

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:19 PM
  • I had the same problem this morning.  Try hitting F8 on boot and that will take you to advanced options.  Try the tip on this page:

http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/alexark/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=5

Once you make the change on the command prompt, restart and hit F8 and do a system restore.

Hope this works for you.

This method worked for me. Be nice if MS Techs used Google.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Unplug all the power line , take  the battery out of the computer, keep it for 2 minutes, Restart the computer

Friday, October 08, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Unplug all the power line , take  the battery out of the computer, keep it for 2 minutes, Restart the computer
    Friday, October 08, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, click Run as administrator, and then click Continue.

George
    If UAC is enabled you MUST make sure you follow the above quoted step. If you do not you will always receive an "Access Denied" message.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Guess what? I had the same problem! This is the second time the computer's done this, along with many other Windows nuisances. The F8 method takes like five hours. The global solution is this: go to www.ubuntu.com and download the live CD. Use it to back up all your docs, then install Linux. It's wonderful, fast, virus free, and, although it has problems, they are easy to fix with some tech level and the magic of Google. Most windows apps even work flawlessly with WINE.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hello Geotec,

As per your solution could you please tell me how safe is it to delete all the system & hidden files from  %Windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine folder?

Bit worried to do the above suggested steps. Please help.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:20 PM
  • i had the same prob so went into vista's updates and un checked junk email filter and downloaded the rest and was successfull ta da problem solved hope this helps everyone

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:38 AM
  • All i done was
    1. ALT and F10
    2. restore to factory settings

yeah you lose EVERYTHING but it still works. I would rather lose a couple of songs from i-tunes and a couple of pictures than spend a ton of cash on fixing the computer

hope this helped someone. it helped me :) 

Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:34 PM
  • have same issue, i don't have the instlal CD... hope programmers in microsft are more morally responsible, not jsut a line of code change. if affect millions of others

Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Well Done Tim, It is a good Fix. Very straightforward but worth mentioning that any Vista OS disk may not work you need to have the at least basic Home Edition not an upgrade.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:35 AM