none
Windows XP will NOT shut down

Question

• Environment- Domain - 200 XP computers - 50 Win7 computers

We recently made several changes to our computers:

we deployed Windows search 4.0 to our XP machines

we configured Group Policies to redirect Desktop, Start Menu, and Favorites on all client machines to a server (each user is redirected to a user named folder). FWIW, Favorites redirect policy setting only works on Win7 machines.  The policy will not redirect Favorites on XP.  This is by design on the GP policy.

Somewhere along the way, many of our XP machines stopped shutting down.  We receive daily reports of this.  The system will get to "Saving User Settings" and will stay there until the user performs a hard power off (press/hold power button).  We can not replicate this behavior consistently.  It will happen at one power cycle and not on another.  It will happen for one user, and not for another. 

Things we've done:

Attempted to run procmon to log what is happening during the log off process and see where the hang is.  When we are luck enough to actually get a machine to exhibit the issue and we have procmon running as a service, the log file is corrupt at next log in and unusable. 

Attempted to use remote Service management tools or other RPC tools.  When a machine is exhibiting the issue, the tools are not able to attach to the machine telling me at least, that the machine has reached a state of shutdown that the RPC services have stopped. 

We believe this is an issue caused by one of or a combination of the above mentioned actions/installs but it could be caused by something else entirely I suppose.  These are just areas to consider as a starting point. 

This is a major problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

DLovitt
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:30 PM

Answers

• After collecting many dump files, testing, and MS wheel spinning, Microsoft has determined that the cause was..... Wait for it.....

UPHClean.

No S***

Their explanation:

There is a *known issue* with uphclean on WindowsXP computers that will cause the profile to actually NOT unload at all.  So let me get this straight, the very thing we are trying to fix using the tool that EVERY forumn, post, best practice article, 10 year old girl knows is the MS proscription is actually breaking my stuff worse than it was before we followed the best practice, article, forumn post, 10 year old girl's advice...

Unbelievable.  You all have heard of UPHClean, right?  I mean, you've come accross it once or twice, right?

And the only thing that MS uses as backup to the claim that the problem is caused by uphclean, is a fairly obscure MS blog entry that says basically "UPHClean version 2 will not come out of beta and is not being worked on any more".  Well, I didn't install UPHClean 2.x beta anything.  It was a gold code version of UPHClean. So even their blog entry and story line is not consistent. 

Either way, removing UPHClean has fixed the problem on all tested machines so far.  I have a feeling that MS is doomed.  Just saying.

DLovitt
    • Marked as answer by Darius Lovitt Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:08 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:08 PM

All replies

• Try to see if you can shut down from safe mode.

You can try the command:  shutdown -t 00 -r /force

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:11 PM
  • I have almost no doubt that if I boot into safe mode and then shutdown, it will do so properly.  I'm going to say that it will be a waste of time to try primarily because we could be doing it for a very long time before the machine failed (and it probably never would).  Further, I don't know that it tells me much.  Remember, the machines will fail to shut down properly SOMETIMES.  It will not hang every time. 

As a matter of fact, when IT tries to replicate this behavior on an affected machine logged in as the affected user, we can almost NEVER replicate it.  It seems to be that through the normal working of the machine by the user, that the problem occurs. 

And by the way, when I say the machine doesn't shut down, I mean you can leave it all day and night, and it will still say "saving User settings".  No HD activity, No RPC calls, but it will still respond to ping. 

This must be a behavior that others are experiencing.  We did the redirects in preparation of RDS on 2008 R2 to give users some common portions of their profiles on both XP and Win7 (2008) based machines.

Thanks again for your attention.

DLovitt
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:52 PM
  • i think we should be looking at the server-side here(the server hosting the profiles) since the error is random.why dont you run procmon,..and try the other things you tried ..this time at the server-side.the Randomness of the errors suggests performance issues to me on the part of the location of the redirected profiles...tell us how this pans out
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:35 PM
  • I guess I should correct something.  When I said "redirected the Desktop, Start Menu... to A server"  I should have said "to local servers in each site".  This is happening on XP machines in every site (4 total) in our organization and each site's client machines are redirect to that sites local server. 

So if it was a problem on my "redirected location" server, it would have to be a problem on ALL of the servers.  Seems unlikely to me especially since there is a range of server OS, hardware, etc. on each of these servers.

Thanks for looking at this.

DLovitt
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:46 PM
  • You have to find the process that impedes the shutdown process.
    Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:53 PM
  • I've opened a case with MS.  I'll try to report back when I find the answer.  FWIW, we are looking at a software deployment through a GPO that might be causing the problem.  The interesting thing is that the deployment should be firing at start up so how can it cause a shutdown problem....HMMM.  Also, MS support has put in place on an affected machine a BSOD hot key sequence that will forcibly crash a machine when it's having this problem and then they'll analyze the memory.dmp file.  I mention it because I find it kind of interesting that you can forcibly cause a BSOD with a reg hack that makes the Right CTRL- SCRL Lock- SCRL Lock (hold ctrl and tap scroll lock twice) crash a machine.  The things we learn...
    DLovitt
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:48 PM
  • MicroShaft has been working on this for weeks and still no real idea.

bump

DLovitt
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:59 PM
  • After collecting many dump files, testing, and MS wheel spinning, Microsoft has determined that the cause was..... Wait for it.....

UPHClean.

No S***

Their explanation:

There is a *known issue* with uphclean on WindowsXP computers that will cause the profile to actually NOT unload at all.  So let me get this straight, the very thing we are trying to fix using the tool that EVERY forumn, post, best practice article, 10 year old girl knows is the MS proscription is actually breaking my stuff worse than it was before we followed the best practice, article, forumn post, 10 year old girl's advice...

Unbelievable.  You all have heard of UPHClean, right?  I mean, you've come accross it once or twice, right?

And the only thing that MS uses as backup to the claim that the problem is caused by uphclean, is a fairly obscure MS blog entry that says basically "UPHClean version 2 will not come out of beta and is not being worked on any more".  Well, I didn't install UPHClean 2.x beta anything.  It was a gold code version of UPHClean. So even their blog entry and story line is not consistent. 

Either way, removing UPHClean has fixed the problem on all tested machines so far.  I have a feeling that MS is doomed.  Just saying.

DLovitt
    • Marked as answer by Darius Lovitt Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:08 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:08 PM