none
Win XP Home/my icons have all changed,my files are all lnk or exe and wont open,I cant download and when I try to open ...

Question

• Hello,Win XP Home/my icons have all changed,my files are all .lnk or .exe and wont open,I cant download and when I try to open ...it says windows cannot open this file: and .to open this file windows needs to know what program created it.Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programs on your computer, Now, I have looked all over the internet the past few days until I've started running around in circles,and come close to a few good answers but nothing has worked so far. So a big T.Y. goes out in advance to anyone that tries to help me fix this one.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:02 AM

Answers

• if the problem started recently, i suggest you do a system restore(start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore), and restore the computer to a day before the problem started.

if that doesn't work, then manually set your file associations and default program associations.

double-click my computer on the desktop OR just open any windows explorer window to browse your files

Click on the "My Computer" option in the Start menu.

Click on the "Tools" tab along the menu bar.

Click on the "Folder Options" option.

Click on the "View" tab.

Make sure the "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked, so you can see the full filenames in Windows XP, including file type associations.

Click "OK" and close the "Folder Options" window.

Right-click on a file you wish to change.

Click on the "Properties" option in the right-click context menu.

Click the "Open with..." button in the "Properties" window. Note that the file may already have a file type association saved for it (it will display the icon of the associated application). Be aware that the button may be captioned "Change..." instead of "Open with...," depending on the version of Windows XP you are using.

Click on an application to choose a different file type association for your selected file type. You may also click "Browse" if the application you wish to use for your new file type association is not listed.

Click "OK" once you have chosen a file type association.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:50 AM