none
WIndows cannot find "C:\ProgramData\....Computer Management.Lnk

Question

• Hello,

I'm getting this error when right clicking on "My Computer", and selecting "Manage" in Windows 7 RTM Ultimate:
     "Windows cannot find 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.Lnk'. I can't find that file in the path stated, not sure what happened to it. Has anyone seen this and how can I get that file back?
    van
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In Windows 7, the "My Computer" item changes to "Computer", so please first make sure you clicked the correct item from Start Menu.

You can recreate this LNK file as below:

1. Right click on blank area of Desktop and choose New -> Shortcut.

2. Type the following location in: %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /S and press Enter

3. Type a name for this article such as Computer Management. Click Finish.

Copy this shortcut and paste to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools folder. Click Continue if you are prompted.

Hope it  helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by fubuki99 Friday, September 25, 2009 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows 7, the "My Computer" item changes to "Computer", so please first make sure you clicked the correct item from Start Menu.

You can recreate this LNK file as below:

1. Right click on blank area of Desktop and choose New -> Shortcut.

2. Type the following location in: %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /S and press Enter

3. Type a name for this article such as Computer Management. Click Finish.

Copy this shortcut and paste to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools folder. Click Continue if you are prompted.

Hope it  helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by fubuki99 Friday, September 25, 2009 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Thank you so much, that did it!
    van
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:39 PM
  • You are welcome :)
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:34 AM
  • This worked very well thanks a ton!
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:54 PM
  • THANKS,that work!
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks a lot...
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Excellent thanks

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:09 PM
  • what do you mean by clicking the correct item,there is only one item and that is Computer.And after following your procedure,i still get the same error.Am i missing something???? I noticed one thing though that Manage icon shows me an Administrator icon on its left side and asks for administrative permissions as well when i copy the shortcut to the specified path.......................
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

This is "a" solution but means that the Computer Management shortcut is visible in all user profiles - not what I want which is why I moved the Admin Tools folder to my personal User Profile Start Menu.

I am therefore asking how one can edit the "Manage" right-click Menu item to point to "C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.Lnk" instead?  I suspect that a Registry Edit is needed...?

Thanks for your help,

Adam.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Perfect!

Thanks for your help!

God bless.

Merry Christmas!

Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I have W7 Ultimate (64 bit) SP1 and there is either a flaw in your answer or in my computer. In my C: drive ther is no

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

I only have Program Files, Program files (x86) and PROGRAM FILES (X86)(X86)(Capitals are what are shown in my folder list)

Further assisstance is needed. Thank you.

Skip Royeton

Friday, March 16, 2012 12:27 AM
  • I am running Win7 64-Bit Enterprise (pretty much the same as Ultimate with a small differece)  The C:\ProgramData folder is there, it's hidden.  If you still can't find it, while unhiding system folders, then you have a virus.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:35 AM
  • Why is it if a feature is not available, it automatically is listed as a virus. My computer is virus free! Now you tell me what I am supposed to select to view all files (hidden included). In XP it was simple to view hidden files but not in W7. If you need anything else, let me know.

Skip Royeton

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:40 PM
  • in the second screen shot there...

Go to Organize (top right) > Folder and Search Options > go to the view tab. > then you will see a folder there in the list that says Hidden Files and folders.  Pick the radio button to show hidden files and folders. 

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Thank you very much Ang101. That worked perfectly and I see that those are Global settings. I really hate having to work so hard for a simple operation. I hope W8 isn't as bad.

Skip Royeton

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Thank a lot!

Saturday, June 09, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

This is "a" solution but means that the Computer Management shortcut is visible in all user profiles - not what I want which is why I moved the Admin Tools folder to my personal User Profile Start Menu.

I am therefore asking how one can edit the "Manage" right-click Menu item to point to "C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.Lnk" instead?  I suspect that a Registry Edit is needed...?

Thanks for your help,

Adam.

It should point to %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc instead. I wonder who at Micrososoft was retarded enough to make it point to a Start menu shortcut. Start menus just happen to be edited a lot.

No, I don't know how to make it point there, yet.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Thanks! ^^
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:23 PM
  • i didn't find the file ( start menu ) in windows .
    Friday, August 16, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Great Its Working thanks
    Sunday, May 04, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Wanted to say thank you, this worked for me 
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:44 PM