none
Windows problem reporting wermgr.exe, multiple instances.

Question

• Not sure if anyone else has encountered this issue - I appear to be having this process starting a few times a day. When this occurs it proceeds to start a new process of wermgr.exe every 15 seconds or so. This stacks up to around 20 or more processes. At any one time, one of the active processes will use around 25% CPU whilst the others show no activity, bar taking up memory space.
    The real problem is however the usage of my internet connection.
    Whilst these processes are active, my entire network looses connectivity, or suffers high latency as the bandwidth is being used up.
    Eventually (after 15+ minutes) the processes do close themselves. Force ending them does not seem to stop new ones appearing on the same interval. As soon as all the active processes are gone however, network connectivity returns to normal (until another one starts again).

Has anyone experienced this issue or know of a solution to it?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:37 AM

Answers

• The repeated crashed of mcGlidHost are a known problem (I get about one every 15 seconds at certain times, too). The best thing I've found to do is go into Action Center, expand Maintenance, click Settings, click "Change report settings for all users" and select the middle option, "Each time a problem occurs, ask me before checking for solutions". This will stop the automatic upload of the mcGlidHost crashes -which saturates my bandwidth far too easily, too -  but still lets you send crash reports for anything else that crashes or hangs.
    • Marked as answer by Blair McGregor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:43 PM

All replies

• That process is associated with the Error Reporting Process.  Do you by chance have a few feedbacks that are waiting to be submitted and have not yet been sent?
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:39 AM
  •   The two feedbacks that I have sent supposedly said they had been received by microsoft. I have just looked at the saved problems and cleared them All, however I appear to have found the reason why new processes are appearing. Every 15 seconds a new problem is reported named: "Windows Media Center In-band Guild Loader". Note that i am not running media centre whilst these are appearing.

Description

Stopped working

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\ehome\mcGlidHost.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: mcglidhost.exe

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7000.0

Problem Signature 03: 494333bf

Problem Signature 04: mcstore

Problem Signature 05: 6.1.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 495919ef

Problem Signature 07: 549

Problem Signature 08: d

Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException

OS Version: 6.1.7000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem

WERInternalMetadata.xml

memory.hdmp

minidump.mdmp

In the time of writing this message, i now have around 20 of these errors listed. Appears to have stopped now that i have cleared the history a few times, however the processes are still running causing network issues. It is likely this will occur again later.

• Proposed as answer by Porstech Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Blair McGregor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Have you checked out the fix for WMC.  Check it out here 32-bit, 64-bit.   Let me know if this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Porstech Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Blair McGregor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Yes, I installed this update as soon as I installed the OS as a priority. The system has a multiboot setup with vista and I did not want to risk the integrity of my music on that partiton.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:10 PM
  • The repeated crashed of mcGlidHost are a known problem (I get about one every 15 seconds at certain times, too). The best thing I've found to do is go into Action Center, expand Maintenance, click Settings, click "Change report settings for all users" and select the middle option, "Each time a problem occurs, ask me before checking for solutions". This will stop the automatic upload of the mcGlidHost crashes -which saturates my bandwidth far too easily, too -  but still lets you send crash reports for anything else that crashes or hangs.
    • Marked as answer by Blair McGregor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for this, I know vista did asked by default. Hopefully this should prevent further problems!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Hi-  Same issue as above (windows 7, issue just started a couple of days ago).  Updated the error messaging feedback and the cpu did not go down.  I did notice (at least for me) that the cpu only spiked when i used IE9 beta (just installed it about a week ago).  Right now i am using safari and my cpu is down to 15%.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I also have a wer mgr.exe fault. can anybody help me out ?

When I try to log into my windows 7 pc It says starting up as usual, however just before it goes to my deasktop this error pops up in a little white box

' werfault.exe application error the exception illegal instructions an attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction (0xc000001d) occured in the application at location 0x76273875 click ok to terminate the program '

When i click ok , the screen turns black ! I tried various registry fixes but to no avail. What else can i do. thanks for any help, it will be much appreicated ! Joe.

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:33 AM
  • //
    // MessageId: STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION
    //
    // MessageText:
    //
    // {EXCEPTION}
    // Illegal Instruction
    // An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
    //
    #define STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION       ((NTSTATUS)0xC000001D L)

Check your RAM and HDD for errors.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:46 PM