none
how to remove mail account in mail in windows 8?

Question

• I said is the windows store mail app. how to remove an account in it?

On the other hand, I also don't know how to ADD a second acccount in Mail.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:32 PM

Answers

• Open the Mail App. 
    • Display the Charm Bar by either swiping from the right bezel or pressing [Windows] [C]. 
    • Choose the Settings Link.  This will display the Mail App Settings.
    • On the Settings bar at the top choose Accounts
    • To add an account select the Add an account link
    • To remove an account select the account to open it and click the Remove account button all the way at the bottom of the panel.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Kaneabell Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:19 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• Open the Mail App. 
    • Display the Charm Bar by either swiping from the right bezel or pressing [Windows] [C]. 
    • Choose the Settings Link.  This will display the Mail App Settings.
    • On the Settings bar at the top choose Accounts
    • To add an account select the Add an account link
    • To remove an account select the account to open it and click the Remove account button all the way at the bottom of the panel.

MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Kaneabell Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:19 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:42 PM
  • I dislike this OS mucho. Windows 8 forces you to add your Hotmail account. It has tons of potential and then grabs you by the throat and crushes your dreams. If it allowed more freedom and were more intuitive then I would like it better. Windows 8 might be the best Mac salesman Apple has ever had.
    Friday, December 07, 2012 1:55 AM
  • I don't see what that has to do with the question asked.

MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group

Friday, December 07, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Adding an account in Windows 8 Mail is easy. But how do you delete an existing account. Currently, I have three accounts created. I want to delete one of them. The only option I have is to REMOVE ALL ACCOUNTS. Is there a work-around for this. What am I missing?
    Friday, June 21, 2013 3:57 PM
    • Open the Email App
    • Access the charms bar settings
    • Select Accounts
    • Select the Account you want to delete
    • Scroll all the way to the bottom of the Account setting and you see a Remove Account.  That will remove the specific account you are looking at.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group

Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hello out there in GOOD ADVICE land!

In regards to your method for removing unwanted or redundant mail accounts, it would work alright except for one teensy little point: The option for removing the acct. does NOT appear near the bottom u n l e s s  you right click on the account you intend to remove.

So in the end you didn't answer the question, but thanks anyway.

( Somebody putting out a little YouTube saved me from going over the  WINDOWS 8 edge by adding that little bit of knowhow.) 

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:29 AM
  • The response was in reply to the question asked about how to remove one account when all they saw was Remove All.  If you look at the steps I provided you will notice the one that says "Select the Account you want to delete".  That means click on the account.  A right click is not required, a left click to select the account works just fine if you've followed the other steps to get to the account list in the charm bar.  So yes, I did answer the question asked in the post I was replying to.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group

Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:39 AM
  • Thanks for that!  I run a blazing fast laptop (ASUS ZenBook UX51) yet the Charm Bar takes forever to load and sometimes I need several attempts.  So I've blocked the entire UI by using Start 8 and never go to the Win8 UI except for Mail.  This issue with GMail hanging out there without connecting, coupled with the MS Live ID policy of never allowing you to ever reuse a password pretty much kept me away from Windows for over a month. I use Linux for all of my telephony and speech recognition consulting work.

MS Live ID now has a pwd that I have on a Post It Note on my desk (like millions who are forced to use MS Live).  Some security policies do not make sense when weighed against the unintended consequences of extremely tight policies.  MSoft sadly has never listened to security experts who also are user interface experts with understanding of psychology. <<<Not me, but I work with a few of them and boy they flame MS about security issues with end users!

I had a couple of minutes this morning, so I found this post.  I appreciate the time you spent posting the instructions.  I removed GMail and am considering removing the other accounts too since they are now covered by the very insecure MS Live ID (My password is on my desk.....)

IMHO, MSoft should add in another UI control within the mail app to do this. Perhaps if only a visible link. Classically there have been at least three ways to accomplish an action in Windows.  By limiting it to just one that is optimized for the less than optimized UI touch, MSoft is making it difficult for end user.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:04 PM
  • I had a similar problem and the advice Mr Stork provided did not help me. I wanted to remove a yahoo account which was linked to my live account. Please see below for the solution I found for deleting and unlinking none Microsoft email accounts.

I login into my live account from Internet Explorer

At the top right click on the cog shaped icon which is located left of your displayed name

Then select "More email settings" this will bring you to the "Options" page

Under "Managing your account" select "Your email accounts" this will bring you to the "Your email accounts" page. This page will display all your accounts

Now click on "Details" next to the account you want to delete and select "Remove". If your are trying to remove a Microsoft account the option will be different instead of remove you will see two options "Account settings or Rename". If you are trying to remove an alias you will see "Manage aliases". 

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:03 PM
  • But how do you sign out when the remove button is shaded out
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:11 PM
  • It is dumb isn't it ? Most people (if they knew what the charms bar is), would presume it has global settings and not settings specific to mail account..

Most people would not be able to figure this out, and this is a dumb design..

Account settings for Mail should have been included in the Mail app itself.

Monday, March 10, 2014 5:51 AM
  • There is a SERIOUS bug in this.

HELLO MICROSOFT, ARE YOU LISTENING?

If the email account credentials have been changed (for example, a Gmail account you can no longer log into because the password is wrong, you've been fired, etc.), you CANNOT delete the account.  The mail app WILL NOT show the account settings.  It shows a blocking popup that says "Connecting to service" and there is NO WAY to access the account settings unless you successfully authenticate.  Thus, the "Remove Account" button is impossible to click.

MICROSOFT, FIX THIS IDIOTIC BUG!

Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:20 PM
  • This really helped me and I'm not all that tech savvy :) Your steps worked fine for me.  Thanks!!!
    Monday, April 07, 2014 7:47 AM
  • There's one missing piece here that is probably frustrating everyone who tries to change the logon credentials or remove a gmail account - you may have to turn off your internet connection first, otherwise, it will continually try to reconnect to the gmail account. If this doesn't work at first, turn off wifi, or your network adapter; then exit the mail app. Re-open it, and then you should be able to open the settings menu for the gmail account, and make your changes or remove the account.
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:54 AM
  • THIS was fantastic information - been struggling with the locked out account removal for a while.

Thank You!

Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Design flaw identified.

I use the Mail app on my Surface RT for all my email accounts (currently 2).

One of those email accounts is my work email (handled via google). I've left the company to work elsewhere and thus lost that email account. Mail will not let me view settings for the account (when attempting to remove it) until I am signed in to that account. I cannot sign in because the account no longer exists. I cannot view options in order to remove the account because Mail forces me to sign in. I'm now stuck with a former email account that no longer works and bombards me with notifications that Mail can't connect to the account.

Thanks,

KBC

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:46 PM