none
Windows 8 Tiles not working

Question

• When I press a tile, it does nothing.  When I press on Windows store it starts to open and immediately closes.

Tech support live could not help.

Who, how, what when and where are the tiles controlled?  What processes are required to start them up?

I am taking a course in Ethical Hacking and I installed too many things and I am not sure what disabled the functioning of the

tiles.  I am a tech, but have been looking for two days now and no one seems to know what makes a tile function!

Please help, I'm trying to get ready for school!

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:41 AM

Answers

• When I press on Windows store it starts to open and immediately closes.

Others with this symptom have found that they can enter the Store from a web search.  The example given was to search for  Angry Birds  and find a hit which points to the Store.  Do you have connectivity to do that at least?

Good luck
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:39 PM

All replies

• WD

Your best bet is to do a repair install, you will never figure out every single change you have made.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Try the App Troubleshooter (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=271185) and look if the registry is fine:

Win8: App: Modern: Apps fail to start if default registry or file permissions modified

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2798317/en-us

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:38 AM
  • When I press on Windows store it starts to open and immediately closes.

Others with this symptom have found that they can enter the Store from a web search.  The example given was to search for  Angry Birds  and find a hit which points to the Store.  Do you have connectivity to do that at least?

Good luck
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:39 PM
  • I am having the same issue. The tiles won't open. I tried your suggestion--went to the Store through the web and it won't open it from there, either. It tries, but immediately closes. I tried uninstalling a free version of avast! as well. Restarted and still nothing. Any suggestions?
    Friday, August 09, 2013 10:19 PM
  • went to the Store through the web and it won't open it from there, either.

Other users made changes to their account (password, for example) or created a new one.

Some things that I discovered when experimenting with Guest is that permissions could be playing a part in these symptoms too.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/no-metro-apps-will-open-on-windows-81/4e8fd63c-d035-47e9-b16b-11c6d9bc7a91?page=2

I just thought of a potentially useful set of diagnostics to compare.  Activate your Guest account and try doing the wsreset command with it.  We would expect that one to fail for various reasons.  Nevertheless I think the symptom that I see when I try it looks externally very similar to what users who are having difficulty with the Store claim to see.  So this gives the potential of two cases hopefully closely similar to trace and compare.  Since I don't know what specific diagnostics that program provides I would just try using ProcMon.  Then next create a new local account for a new standard user and try it with that one too.  Again, I would expect the attempt to connect to the Store to fail because it won't have a Microsoft Account (aka Live ID) associated with it but in trace terms I would expect it to go further.  Maybe even give you some diagnostics, unlike the Guest example--(zero writes?  Incredible.)

One more thing.   My experience with that Guest example suggests we should not attempt to elevate the wsreset command because doing so may end up changing not the account which was logged in but the account which does the elevation.  For example, to my surprise and dismay when I tried to "authorize" my Guest to do a full RIES for itself, as far as I can tell, the account profile that got the RIES treatment was my own, not the Guest one.  So similarly, depending on what wsreset does in terms of "resetting" things, I would be careful about trying to do it "elevated".  Again, we would have to rely on ProcMon to show what really happens.  Unfortunately doing the elevated RIES was not one of the things that I traced.  I may do it again sometime using a different administrator account that I would be less annoyed to see set back to defaults.  One good thing that I got out of the experience is new insight on why I sometimes get confused by what  cd %UserProfile%  does when elevated and not.

HTH
    Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:07 AM
  • My tiles did not work either. I have tried all the suggestions. Recently, I was playing around on my computer and somehow pressed update for my tiles. After it updated all my tiles, they began to work again. I am not sure how I got to the update tile screen.
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:47 AM
  • This worked for me after trying numerous other solutions. Thank you!
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:24 PM
  • I had this problem and I got it fixed today. I had tried many suggested solutions over the past two weeks, none of them solved this silly issue

You need to re-register the Store: follow the instructions in the following link

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/35231-store-re-register-windows-8-8-1-a.html

(if you get Firewall service error: Run services.msc and enable 'Windows Firewall' service)

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:56 AM
  • This made the Store work but other tiles still don't work.
    • Edited by MG2900 Monday, January 13, 2014 2:11 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 2:10 PM
  • See the problem is in the Registry. Somehow, someway when you defrag your registry you remove the tile frpm  registry as well. I don't know how to fix this or why Microsoft hasn't fixed this problem yet but if you can find a way to add exceptions to your registry. add the tiles and you'll be fine. In the mean time reinstall Windows and  don't defrag your registry

If you find a way to fix it other than that or that one please tell me on twitter. #Mrehab3

Saturday, March 08, 2014 4:20 PM
  • There are some issues with desktop and metro. PUPS can cause this issue as well as malware. Not that this is your issue.
    • Edited by colakid Sunday, March 09, 2014 2:57 AM
    Sunday, March 09, 2014 1:43 AM
  • I wanted to add something.

I got 3 gateway laptops for my kids at Christmas. Windows 8, and all at once in the last 2-3 weeks their tiles on the metro screen do not work at all. They cannot log into different accounts or anything. 

They can get online, they can view their files, but none of the microsoft metro tiles work.

I am very confused by this, and have not been able to find any answers.

Thanks

ryanpelkey@hotmail.com

Sunday, April 20, 2014 4:34 PM