none
Why does Windows 7 cache files before burning?

Question

• I know, why questions often don't have answers but I am curious. In Windows 7, burning files to a CD or DVD requires that I first wait for the OS to copy all the files I selected to a ready cache and then I can burn the disk. I find it annoying because it seems like it takes twice as long to burn a disk this way. I'm sure there is some benefit that derives from the caching step but I'm not sure what it is. Does anyone know?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:12 AM

Answers

• In my opinion, caching files to memory before burning gets a faster write and read speed. Also burning won't affect the source file if burning is stopped.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:33 AM

All replies

• In my opinion, caching files to memory before burning gets a faster write and read speed. Also burning won't affect the source file if burning is stopped.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:33 AM
  • hi there,

what i found out is that if the files to be written to dvd are taken from the same disc as system is installed to they are not cached..
    so it means not exactly caching but some other approach - which is a bit strange for me, as even if the files to burn are coming from the same physical disc as system is on but moved to burn window from an mapped logical disc (using subst command) they still get copied 'somewhere'
    where the heck is the 'somewhere' and how to disable that copying? as it takes ages for 8GB to copy, and is even worse when using SSD disc for system (use imagination why..)

i'm using win7 64bit,m and this is really annoying
    cheers,
    Baton
    Friday, March 05, 2010 5:22 PM