none
Windows Media player 12 will not start + "Server Execution Failed"

Question

• Since purchasing this PC (OS: Windows Home Premium) in August I have never got Windows Media Player to Open.  Clicking on the icon in the start menu does nothing as well as clicking on "runs as administrator".  Furthermore, any attempt to open a media file either Video or Audio will yield a "Server Execution Failed" message.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall WMP via "Turn Windows Features on or off" as well as deleting the library (for corrupt databases) with the instruction given on these forums to no avail.  Please note that my VLC, Divx, Winamp, and Spotify Media players all work fine, and I downloaded these AFTER I could not get my WMP to run.  I just need to be able to open Windows Media Player to network my Xbox 360......
    • Edited by drzomb77 Monday, November 26, 2012 3:26 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like suggest you try the follwoing suggestions and check if it helpful.

Method 1.

Now you have to stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and check for the issue.

1. Control Panel -- Administrative Tools -- Services. Find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, open it, click on Stop to stop the service.

2. Close Windows Media Player 12 if it is started.

3. input %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ to Windows Explorer to find the folder.

4. Move all files in the folder to another place as a backup.

Note: Move files in the specific folder will reset database.

5. Restart Windows Media Player to see if we can add files to Library now.

Method 2.

1. Click on Start and in the search bar type cmd.exe
    2. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator
    3. In the command prompt type the following command

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

4. Press enter and restart the computer

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like suggest you try the follwoing suggestions and check if it helpful.

Method 1.

Now you have to stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and check for the issue.

1. Control Panel -- Administrative Tools -- Services. Find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, open it, click on Stop to stop the service.

2. Close Windows Media Player 12 if it is started.

3. input %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ to Windows Explorer to find the folder.

4. Move all files in the folder to another place as a backup.

Note: Move files in the specific folder will reset database.

5. Restart Windows Media Player to see if we can add files to Library now.

Method 2.

1. Click on Start and in the search bar type cmd.exe
    2. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator
    3. In the command prompt type the following command

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

4. Press enter and restart the computer

Spencer

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:24 AM
  • I have already tried Method 1 and upon using method 2 I got the following message...

"System 5 error has occurred Access is denied"

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:09 AM
  • I have already tried Method 1 and upon using method 2 I got the following message...

"System 5 error has occurred Access is denied"

Hi,

You should make sure you Run CMD with administrator permission.

Regards.

Spencer

Friday, November 30, 2012 2:21 AM
  • You can back up "Windows Media Player" in Program File (x86), then delete it.

After that, copy folder "Windows Media Player" in Program File to Program File (x86).

WMP will work well ^^!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Nhat: that will only work on Windows x64 and will effectively replace the 32-bit version of WMP with the 64-bit version. It's probably better to switch to the 64-bit version by following these instructions:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-set-64-bit-windows-media-player-12-wmp12-as-default-player

Also note that this will render your 32-bit codecs and plug-ins useless.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:29 PM