none
Windows 7 installations says im missing DVD drivers

Question

• I downloaded and burnt a copy of the windows 7 RC on to a DVD so i could install Windows 7. However, when just before i start the install, the win 7 installer tells me i am missing drivers for my cd/dvd drive and refuses to continue installation, but i am sure that I have installed the drivers. when i update drivers in win xp (current os), i am told that the best drivers are already installled.

what happened is this:

1. download win 7 RC and burn to DVD (completed)
    2. Boot PC from Win 7 DVD (completed)
    3. Installer starts and loads screen with button saying "Install"
    4. I click install button.
    5. Installer start looking for drivers then tells me i am missing drivers for the DVD drive.
    6. dialoge pops up saying "insert disk with appropiate drivers".

This is as far as it gets, because every disc i try apparently does no have the required drivers. Ive tried the CD which came with DVD drive, ive tried the MSI mother board CD for both xp and vist, Ive tried the WIN xp sp2 cd, none of them work.

What i would like to do is install win 7 on the empty partition on my external usb hard drive, so then i will have a dual boot system.  Win XP is my current os and i built my PC myself. also my dvd drive is sata. Ive got an msi Micro atx mother board with an AMD Phenom 3ghz quad core.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:01 AM

Answers

• Please type "CD/DVD" into the search bar "Search Forums" at the top of this page. There are many threads concerning this issue, and multiple causes to be found responsible for this error message.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:18 PM

All replies

• Scarecrowm,

Most often, the request for DVD drivers is either:
    1. Need to burn the ISO at the slowest speed you can. or
    2. Since your DVD drive is SATA, you might need to install the correct SATA driver during the install process.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Tommix,

Although this may sound terribly counter-intuitive given the information you've posted, we are only supporting the publicly available beta (build 7000) and RC (build 7100) on these forums, and request that you please download and install the RC directly from Microsoft in order to receive support. Although it's entirely possible that something which is broken for a particular user in build 7100 may have worked fine in an earlier build, that is the reality of a development process in which the OS is revised from milestone to milestone. Know that we'll make every effort to get you up and running under the RC until it comes time for us to help you get up and running under the retail version, which should, of course, require a good deal less troubleshooting!
    -Alex
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I'm having the same "missing driver" problem with Windoows 7 RC 64-bit version.  The setup program will not recognize cdrom.sys or GEARAspiWDM.sys from Vista 64 and I don't see where I can download drivers specific for Windows 7.  I have two DVD drives: a Lite-on "Lightscribe" and a Sony "Blu-ray" -- neither will work with the setup program.  I've tried multiple burns of the iso file to DVD -- no improvement.  Other forums have complaints of the same problem, but I haven't seen an answer that works.

EVGA 790i Ultra SLI MoBo
    Intel QX9650 Quad 

Is anyone at Microsoft listening?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:02 PM
  • BTW - In response to others here and on other forums, I did a slow 2x burn of the DVD with verification -- still no go.  At least I'm fortunate that things failed before any of it got on my hard drive.  Reset ... and I'm done with it. 
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Just downloaded the RC and I'm trying to install it. Having the same difficulties with the DVD device drivers. I am sure the drive is a standard drive and my PC is an HP so I guess it's not a problem with the computer or the DVD as it worked with XP before. Is there a download site or can you please give me a generic driver that should work with my drive? As a regular user a question pops to my head, how come the drive works fine for booting and running the installer but does not pass the driver check? Very Windows 3.1-like behaviour I have to say. Tried looking for answers elsewhere to no avail. Microsoft, please help!

From a user stand point, a skip button in this case might be useful as it clearly works and maybe later once on the network, it may give us an ability to click the magic button and download the appropriate drivers with the whole system up and running.

How come the window with "select the driver to be installed" does not show any drivers? If I uncheck the "hide drivers..." option at the bottom, it still shows a blank list. Are there any drivers included in the RC at all? Has anybody been able to install? The previous post was posted more than a week ago so I assume you guys are hard at work to release a fix. Please let us know when you have an update about this issue.

Thanks!
    Monday, July 06, 2009 8:50 AM
  • i have the same problem downloded the 64bit RC  and burned to a DVD and when i try to install it on my HP laptop(came with vista 32bit but supports 64 bit) says that the CD/DVD driver is missing and  going to the drivers locations does nothing as it cant find the driver

Monday, July 06, 2009 5:16 PM
  • If you are have SATA DVD you must change IDE to AHCI in BIOS. But if you want run XP you must change it do IDE. Second option is instal to your computer old ATA DVD, I've try change to AHCI in 3 computers and it is work on all.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:33 AM
  • I guess this forum is not being monitored by Microsoft. At least I'd expect to hear "hang on until the release is out" or something in those terms type of reply. What's up guys?
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:36 PM
  •      I have tried this on my computer and could not find where to change this setting?????? Could use a little help on finding where this
       setting is located in this BIOS

Thank You

hd69xlh
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Please type "CD/DVD" into the search bar "Search Forums" at the top of this page. There are many threads concerning this issue, and multiple causes to be found responsible for this error message.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:18 PM
  • download the program power iso and you can install windows 7 on a virtual drive, worked very well for me, worrie about the rest later, all my music photos and programs were in th old windows file, "sweet"
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:39 PM
  • This does not bring me any further to the solution. Why is your answer an "Answer" if there has been nobody who would confirm your "solution" really works. This is still open to me. Sorry guys. I'd like somebody to give me an exact link or post an answer here, if possible.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:10 AM
  • try copying another dvd on another program that worked for me and if u have the option to check the content after it has finished burning then select it
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:26 AM
  • mabye u should set your boot sequence in bios to cdrom scsi then hd, also set the jumper to secondary master on your dvd drive, there may be some other bios settings u need to look at?
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:09 AM