none
Kodak Printers and Windows 7 64 and 32 Bit FIXED!!!! YAHOO!!!

Question

• Kodak printers, mine is model 5500, have drivers built into windows 7, or they are installed through Microsoft update, I don't remember.  Anyhow, any attempts to print to this printer cause the application doing the printing, or the spooler service, to crash.  I have sent a few problem reports on the issue.

I have tried the drivers from the Kodak site..  for Vista.. no change.  I am using 64 bit Windows 7, and I have a brother who is using the 32 bit version, and a different model Kodak printer, which I believe uses the same driver, and he is having the same problem.  I have seen other posts on the web about others experiencing the same problem also.

Both of these systems are Athlon based, dual core, 2 GB ram.

I would be happy to provide any other information that will help.  Here is my system...

Athlon X2 5600 2.9 Ghz CPU
    ASUS M2NPV-VM Nforce 4 Board
    Windows XP Home SP2, Vista Home Premium, Windows 7 Beta
    2 Gig DDR2 566 Mhz
    ASUS GeForce 7600GS
    Dual 250MB Western Digital SATA Drives (Not RAID)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Hauppauge Win TV HVR-1600 Capture Card
    Three Liteon Burners
    Logitech Bluetooth Desktop MX5000
    Samsung 19" LCD
    Kodak 5500 AIO Printer

The only common things between my brothers system and mine are the Athlon duel core chips, Nforce chipsets, (different), Windows 7, and SATA drives.

I'll be watching for any input!  Thanks!  I can't believe a search for 'Kodak' in the forum brings up nothing so far!

P D
    • Edited by Phuzzy Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:30 AM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:14 AM

Answers

• Was having the same problem, I have a Kodak 5500 all in one, My son has a Kodak ESP7. Every time we went to print, the pc would lock up, I will put up the web site to down load from,   Un-install your printer from the printer section, then unplug your usb cable at the printer. Down load the upgrade and follow the instructions, watch for security messages that may fall to the bottom of your screen. After you have the software downloaded and installed. shut down your PC. plug in your Kodak printer, the re-start your pc. We are both up and running great, Hope you have the same luck.  Let me know if it works, at  hunter74083@yahoo.com    ,  Roger
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9103&CID=go&idhbx=aiosupport&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=1804
    • Marked as answer by Phuzzy Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:28 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:26 PM

All replies

• Bumpety Bump!
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:30 PM
  •  

Hi,

As Kodak has not released a driver for Windows 7 yet, I suggest trying the driver for Windows Vista.

Windows Vista driver

If the issue persists, I am afraid that you need to wait for Kodak to release a driver which is compatible with Windows 7.

You can contact Kodak for more information.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Alex T JrModerator Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Phuzzy Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:47 AM
  • I've loaded the Vista drivers - installs Perfectly.

However on attempting to print from anything - a delay is causing all applications to crash.

I've reloaded Win7 - then reinstalled the driver package - same problems.

Using a Kodak 5100 AIO.

Extremely frustrating - since everything else appears to work perfectly.
    Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:15 PM
  •  Same problem here.  I was happy to have Windows 7 beta installed and everything apparently working just fine until I actually tried to print something.  Same message, "Internet Explorer has stopped working", or "Notepad not working".  The Kodak printer that I have is the ESP7, it installs just fine, the printer is discovered, the drivers are installed.  I can click on the printer status ICON and see the Kodak printer status window which shows the ink cartridge levels, etc.  I tried both the Vista and XP versions of the Kodak printer software with no success.

Its a shame, I have to be able to print, so the Windows 7 OS had to come off and XP went back on.
    Monday, February 09, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Well, if you have another computer, you can network them, and then print from windows seven (works with my 5300)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:02 PM
  • JackSr said:

Same problem here.  I was happy to have Windows 7 beta installed and everything apparently working just fine until I actually tried to print something.  Same message, "Internet Explorer has stopped working", or "Notepad not working".  The Kodak printer that I have is the ESP7, it installs just fine, the printer is discovered, the drivers are installed.  I can click on the printer status ICON and see the Kodak printer status window which shows the ink cartridge levels, etc.  I tried both the Vista and XP versions of the Kodak printer software with no success.

Its a shame, I have to be able to print, so the Windows 7 OS had to come off and XP went back on.

Same here, Windows 7, 32 bit on 64 bit athlon, aio 5500.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Hello,

Let Me Start Of By Mentioning That When Sharing Printers Across Operating System Arcitectues, Te Driver instantiation Disk must be run on both the host and client. I have Experienced this when i first got my hands on vista Business 64-Bit. And I Was as ancious to try windows se7en as you were, i had downloaded, burnt, and installed window se7en on the day it came out. Immagine my dissapointment when i tried to install the latest drivers form the kodak website for my 5500 and saw eplorer.exe crash before my verry eyes, i was not impressed at all. I then went back to vista untillo kodak re designed thier driver instalation package. This was My Second atempt to getying my printer to run on windows se7en. The Setup intalled nomarly but was verry slow, i went to run a test print and what wloud you know explrer.exe crased again. I had then determined to go back to vista.

I Recommend you Go back to an older verison of windows as the Host OS such as Vista, XP, Or 2000, and if you have 2GB of ram download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 and install windows 7 as the Guest OS with 1GB physiccal memory and 128 mb video memory, another virtualisation client i use is sun mocrosystems xVM Virtual Box.  i was  unable to do ths as my system only has 1GB ram.

if not youu can dual boot windows 7 without any confilcts, click the start button in vista and type 'compmgmt.msc' click the first result on the list.  then doubble Click Sotrage, forlowed by disk managment right click Disk 0 partition 1 aka C: and click shrink volume if a dilago box apeas asking how much to shrink by accept the defaults. You shloud now se an un alocated space, right click that and click new simple volume, go through the wizzard, again accepting all defaults.
    The Partition Will Automaticly begin formattimg, now is a good time to make a note of the size of the partition you wish to installl win 7 to beacuse you will need to identify the partition later.  after fomatting is complete, insert windows 7 into your dvd drive and rebot if your system says "press any key to boot form cd or dvd...' press any key to continue and folow the setup wizard instructions to intall windows 7 to tne new volume.  if not you need to hnag your CMOS Settup to boot from cd first  this can be acheevied by repeditly pressing Delete, F2 or Escape upon startup and using the arow keys to change settings

BTW for statisticls Collections My System Is a Compaq Presario SR5505F with:
    AMD Athalon™ 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ @ 2.21Ghz
    1GB DDR2 800
    a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 Chipset on a Asus M2N68-LA Motherboard
    a 160 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) Hard Dribe @ 7200rpm

Originally shipped with vista HP SP1  but i downgraded to xp pro, so i can play world of warcraft untill i ger more memory for it ! :) For The Alliance!
    • Proposed as answer by Charles Keisler Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Phuzzy Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:49 AM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Same here, Kodak 5500 AIO with 32 bit Win 7 release candidate.  Frustrating...
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I got the Kodak 5500 working with 64 bit Windows 7 RC. You need to run the printer through the XP virtual machine with xp driver installed. Not a perfect solution but it works.
    • Proposed as answer by CB_27 Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Phuzzy Monday, May 11, 2009 3:36 AM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I got the Kodak 5500 working with 64 bit Windows 7 RC. You need to run the printer through the XP virtual machine with xp driver installed. Not a perfect solution but it works.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Ok, This sounds good, but I am not sure how to do it.  I am running 64 Bit Win7 RC.
    Can you give me some instructions, all I need is a start of where to go, I am a technician.  Are you talking about the built in Virtual Drive handling feature in Win7 Ultimate?  I guess I worry that if I just buy home premium, I'll be screwed, UNLESS they have this bug fixed...  (I really hope they do..)

PD
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:18 PM
  • I contacted Kodak's chat service, and got pretty much the answer I was expecting.  'Don't expect our drivers to be final until Win7 is.'
    Here is an exerpt...

Phillip (11:37:50 PM): I am one of many people who are Kodak Printer owners, and want to try out Windows 7 RC. You probably know the rest, there are obvious problems. If, and when, can we make this move to Windows 7 while taking our Kodak printers with us?

Phillip (11:37:57 PM): In case you don't know, it appears from numerous reports that with any version of windows 7, and any Kodak AIO unit, if you try to print, the application you are trying to print from, or the spooler, crash. Printing doesn't even come close.

Phillip (11:38:09 PM): This seems strange since Windows update smoothly provides a driver for the printer upon first booting, and all the devices show good status, including the scanner, the card reader, and the printer, on the 5500 at least.

Phillip (11:38:19 PM): So what is the official word? Will we have to abandon Kodak AIO printers, and the nice ink costs, to use Windows 7, or will a new line of Kodaks come out that we will be forced to buy? What can you give us for a ray of hope? Or a nice workaround or a link to a beta driver that does work?

Uttam C. (11:41:25 PM): Please give me a few minutes to research the answer. I will be with you shortly.
    Phillip (11:41:32 PM): Thank you!
    Uttam C. (11:47:17 PM): Phillip, the Windows 7 RC is in a testing face (trail face)and we will update our software as soon as the full version will be launched & our engenders are working on that
    Uttam C. (11:48:02 PM): and after that you can upgrade the software from our website
    Uttam C. (11:50:37 PM): and the full version will be launched withen next few weeks
    Phillip (11:51:53 PM): I guess, for me, that isn't an ideal answer, since the RC release, which is almost the FINAL version of Windows 7, provides a testing opportunity to find out how it works BEFORE it comes out. Not being able to test the Kodak printer is a major inconvenience. Do you think the problems could be resolved BEFORE the full version of Windows 7 arrives? The Full version of Windows 7 is not expected until then beginning of November. Do you have more reliable information on that?
    Phillip (11:53:25 PM): I'll make this simpler - Will the problems be fixed for sure when Windows 7 is released?
    Uttam C. (11:54:53 PM): Yes sir the problems be resolved for sure when Windows 7 is released
    Phillip (11:55:41 PM): Ok. That will be ok. I hope they succeed! Thank you.

So, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    I HAVE gotten the preceeding trick to work with a Virtual Machine, but only intermittently, and you have to be printing from within the Windows XP in the Virtual Machine.  Maybe a person could print to a PDF first, then copy the PDF into the virtual machine and print there. 

I'll mark that as an answer if I can get it streamlined and working reliably.
    PD

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Because of this one issue with my Kodak ESP7, and as much as I hated to do it, I switched back to Vista.  I wasn't bright enough to work around it and needed to print.  Anybody want to buy an ESP7 cheap ;) ?  When I used Win 7 Beta on my 32 bit machine my HP printer, as well as all my other USB devices, worked by just plugging in the USB cord as promised.  But that machine and printer are gone and I had Win7 RC on a 64 bit Hp.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Frustrating isn't it?  I don't know why they don't make it a priority earlier.  People are going to do just that - dump the Kodaks.  I know I've considered it.

PD
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Was having the same problem, I have a Kodak 5500 all in one, My son has a Kodak ESP7. Every time we went to print, the pc would lock up, I will put up the web site to down load from,   Un-install your printer from the printer section, then unplug your usb cable at the printer. Down load the upgrade and follow the instructions, watch for security messages that may fall to the bottom of your screen. After you have the software downloaded and installed. shut down your PC. plug in your Kodak printer, the re-start your pc. We are both up and running great, Hope you have the same luck.  Let me know if it works, at  hunter74083@yahoo.com    ,  Roger
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9103&CID=go&idhbx=aiosupport&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=1804
    • Marked as answer by Phuzzy Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:28 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 10:26 PM
  • My goodness almighty!!  The newset driver there is dated May 1st!  With all the windows updates coming through I thought the newest ones were THERE, but my friend, you have FOUND IT!!

I am dancing in my room now!!!  THANK you for finding the new one there!!!

Um, did I mention that it WORKS PERFECTLY???!!!  All RIGHT!!  (Downloaded the VISTA one, it's the only choice.)

PD
    • Edited by Phuzzy Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:33 AM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Im sure you noticed the different way Kodak installed on the new driver, I think they hid it, maybe not sure it would work on some Pc`s. After everyone loads it and has  good things to say.. THEN they will pop it out as se7en driver, Anyway, IT WORKS< Im happy , Your Happy, My sons HAPPY,, We just need to get the rest of the Kodak People to download it,, SE7EN is a GREAT system. Everyone who removed it because thier Kodak printers wouldnt work, Needs to RE-INSTALL it and get the driver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good Luck To All...

Roger
    NEW KODAK DRIVERS AND AIO HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    V
    V
    V
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the news - I'll try again.  it has been less than a week since I downloaded the latest, newest software that did not work but I'm slow and have to reload Win7 again!
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Thanks! This worked for me too. Glad I get to keep Windows 7!
    • Proposed as answer by denbo Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:45 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:48 PM