none
Repairing the BITS Service

Question

• I'm trying to repair the BITS server on a Windows XP machine. The BITS Service name has for some reason changed to "@%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll, -1000" instead of saying Background etc. And when I try to start it I get an Event ID 7000 error that says "The @%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000 service failed to start due to the following error: %%1290". I tried to use this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720473(v=WS.10).aspx and at the bottom it states how to repair the BITS configuration but the commands are not working for me.

Vincent Sprague

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:16 PM

Answers

• Ideally this is the path for BITS service : C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

What error do you get when you execute these :

Sc config bits binpath=”%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe –k netsvcs“ Sc config bits depend = RpcSs EventSystem

Sc config bits start=delayed-auto

Sc config bits type=interact

Sc config bits error=normal

Sc config bits obj=LocalSystem

Sc privs bits privileges=SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege/SeTcbPrivilege/SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege/SeIncreateQuotaPrivilege

Sc sidtype bits type= unrestricted

Sc failure bits reset= 86400 actions=restart/60000/restart/120000

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:49 AM
  • I had the same problem

changed to@%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000

2.Reregister the Qmgr.dll and the Qmgrprxy.dll BITS files. To do this, follow these steps:
    a.Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll, and then click OK two times.
    b.Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll, and then click OK two times.
    c.Restart the computer.
    3.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    4.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then click OK:
    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf
    Note If you are prompted to insert the operating system CD, type %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386 in the Copy files from box, and then click OK.
    5.Restart the computer.

Now your

Background Intelligent Transfer Service should be back,

if you can not start it - try to

download and run MicrosoftFixit50202

This worked for me and I now can use MS Update again.

Friday, November 08, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Interestingly this same corruption of the BITS service happened to my XP system after I ran an MS-FixIt back in November which was supposed to fix problems with the Windows Update system.
    I did a System Restore to undo the changes and thought no more about it.

But I now wonder if someone at Microsoft screwed up an MS-FixIt.
    The details you see are actually the correct BITS registry entries for Win7
    Win7 uses a newer format for the BITS registry entry than that used by XP.

The Display Name and Description get corrupted to the Win7 versions - but the Service Name remains as BITS
    The entries in the list of services are sorted by the Display Name not the Service Name
    Thus BITS appears but renamed as @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1000

Both XP and Win7 use the same registry key at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS
    -----------------------------------
    If you check the registry entry for the BITS service under Win7 you will see:
    Description :   @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1001
    Display Name:   @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1000

This is what generates the text you see when you open the Properties page for BITS via Services.msc
    Description :  Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service ........
    Display name:  Background Intelligent Transfer Service

If you now check the registry entries for BITS under WinXP you will see:
    Description :   Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service ........
    Display name:   Background Intelligent Transfer Service

These entries are plain text and are displayed directly in the Services Properties tab page. 
    ------------------------------------

I think it was the following link I used - and tried the Vista/XP version of the Fix-It

http: //support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-gb

It is entirely possible Microsoft have now quietly fixed the XP version of the Windows Update MS-FixIt and are hoping no-one twigs what went wrong! Or it maybe it is still be screwed - anyone fancy testing it?

Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:36 PM

All replies

• Ideally this is the path for BITS service : C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

What error do you get when you execute these :

Sc config bits binpath=”%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe –k netsvcs“ Sc config bits depend = RpcSs EventSystem

Sc config bits start=delayed-auto

Sc config bits type=interact

Sc config bits error=normal

Sc config bits obj=LocalSystem

Sc privs bits privileges=SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege/SeTcbPrivilege/SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege/SeIncreateQuotaPrivilege

Sc sidtype bits type= unrestricted

Sc failure bits reset= 86400 actions=restart/60000/restart/120000

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:49 AM
  • It tells me basically that the syntax is wrong. I tried putting the localhost name in where it says <server> but then it shows as an "unrecognized command" and gives me the usage for SC.

C:\Documents and Settings\DOORCARD>Sc config bits binpath="%systemroot%\system32
    \svchost.exe -k netsvcs" Sc config bits depend = RpcSs EventSystem
    Modifies a service entry in the registry and Service Database.
    SYNTAX:
    sc <server> config [service name] <option1> <option2>...
    CONFIG OPTIONS:
    NOTE: The option name includes the equal sign.
     type= <own|share|interact|kernel|filesys|rec|adapt>
     start= <boot|system|auto|demand|disabled>
     error= <normal|severe|critical|ignore>
     binPath= <BinaryPathName>
     group= <LoadOrderGroup>
     tag= <yes|no>
     depend= <Dependencies(separated by / (forward slash))>
     obj= <AccountName|ObjectName>
     DisplayName= <display name>
     password= <password>

Vincent Sprague

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:10 PM
  • I had the same problem

changed to@%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000

2.Reregister the Qmgr.dll and the Qmgrprxy.dll BITS files. To do this, follow these steps:
    a.Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll, and then click OK two times.
    b.Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll, and then click OK two times.
    c.Restart the computer.
    3.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    4.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then click OK:
    %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf
    Note If you are prompted to insert the operating system CD, type %windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386 in the Copy files from box, and then click OK.
    5.Restart the computer.

Now your

Background Intelligent Transfer Service should be back,

if you can not start it - try to

download and run MicrosoftFixit50202

This worked for me and I now can use MS Update again.

Friday, November 08, 2013 5:12 PM
  • That worked temporarily, after a reboot it went back to what it was doing before.

Vincent Sprague

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:11 PM
  • That worked temporarily, after a reboot it went back to what it was doing before.

Vincent Sprague

You need to register the service again to build registry values. this fixes this problem.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:15 PM
  • This one's silly, but really hard to catch - you need a space after the equals sign, before the quotation marks. binpath= "

Now, it still may not work - didn't for me, exactly. I successfully started the @%gobbledegook/qmgr.dll,-1000 service...but that's not what I wanted. But the help info if you don't put that space in is very annoying...

jjm

Friday, December 06, 2013 5:17 AM
  • Interestingly this same corruption of the BITS service happened to my XP system after I ran an MS-FixIt back in November which was supposed to fix problems with the Windows Update system.
    I did a System Restore to undo the changes and thought no more about it.

But I now wonder if someone at Microsoft screwed up an MS-FixIt.
    The details you see are actually the correct BITS registry entries for Win7
    Win7 uses a newer format for the BITS registry entry than that used by XP.

The Display Name and Description get corrupted to the Win7 versions - but the Service Name remains as BITS
    The entries in the list of services are sorted by the Display Name not the Service Name
    Thus BITS appears but renamed as @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1000

Both XP and Win7 use the same registry key at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS
    If you check the registry entry for the BITS service under Win7 you will see:
    Description :   @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1001
    Display Name:   @%SystemRoot%\System32\qmgr.dll,-1000

This is what generates the text you see when you open the Properties page for BITS via Services.msc
    Description :  Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service ........
    Display name:  Background Intelligent Transfer Service

If you now check the registry entries for BITS under WinXP you will see:
    Description :   Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service ........
    Display name:   Background Intelligent Transfer Service

These entries are plain text and are displayed directly in the Services Properties tab page. 
    ------------------------------------

I think it was the following link I used - and tried the Vista/XP version of the Fix-It

It is entirely possible Microsoft have now quietly fixed the XP version of the Windows Update MS-FixIt and are hoping no-one twigs what went wrong! Or it maybe it is still be screwed - anyone fancy testing it?

Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:36 PM
  • I normally try and avoid Fix-It's but as nothing else had worked I got lazy - and discovered a bug!

I have now managed to test the XP version MS-Fix-It I listed above:

And proved it corrupts the XP BITS registry as described!
    Prior to that I installed IE8 plus the October Cumulative Update without any problems with BITS.

No only does it rename the service it screws with the Startup Type, Image path, and  a few other registry keys - so BITS will no longer start. Trying to start the renamed BITS service fails:
    Could not start the @%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000 service on Local Computer
    Error 1290: 0x50a

So I think that proves that in the process of looking for a fix for the XP Updates problem
    many people - including myself - trashed their BITS setup by using a faulty MS-Fix-It utility.

It is also very possible that other XP Fix-It's may also have the same fault - so beware.
    Someone at Microsoft is using Win7 registry entries in XP fixes.

Sent a report to Microsoft detailing the problem - now to see if they respond!

Happy Xmas

• Edited by DougCuk_42 Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:49 PM
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:48 PM
  • I was also able to reproduce this on a newly imaged PC.

How about a fix MS?

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:51 AM
  • I restored to the point before the FixIt and the BITS service was on manual. I was able to start it and set it to Automatic. Rebooted and it started. However, the Windows/Microsoft Update issue is back.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:27 AM