none
Fully restore windows 7 from complete system image backup

Question

• I recently attemted to install ubuntu linux on my hard drive and the GRUB boot loader made the Windows 7 files corrupt so I couldn't boot windows and the recovery disk couldn't detect my OS. So I formatted and reinstalled windows on the same hard drive because I have a complete system image backup on an external seagate drive. But when I run the restore and it completes none of my old program files x86 are there. Just random documents no drivers or anything which was the only reason I wanted to backup so I could have all my old programs. I know they are on there because I can view the files on the backup and can clearly see all my .exe files they just won't be copied back to my hard drive when I run the backup even if I check "select all files from this backup." How can I restore all my programs and drivers so my system is essentially the same as it was before?
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, you can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. However, after a clean install, your new profile or computer configuration doesn't match the old one. Therefore, some contents might don't have permission to restore to the original location (registry).

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by sjburk64 Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:51 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:42 AM

All replies

• Are you installing Windows from a "Backup Image" or a disk?

If you installed from an OEM or Retail disk, then restoring your programs will not work.  you will have to reinstall each one.  Also when you restore there is 2 options that your are presented with (see below).  Which did you choose?  "In the original location," or "In the following location?"

• Edited by houndazs Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:52 PM
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I reinstalled with the OEM Windows 7 64bit cd i installed originally and also i selected the "In the original location." And it did tell me some files were not copied. I am currently copying to a new directory and Ill see how that goes. So basically there is no way to really backup your system and return to exact and original state after a crash, virus, etc.? You can pretty much just recover files and always have to reinstall all your programs.

Seth Burkhalter

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, you can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. However, after a clean install, your new profile or computer configuration doesn't match the old one. Therefore, some contents might don't have permission to restore to the original location (registry).

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by sjburk64 Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:51 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:42 AM
  • I think that was the issue not having permissions to do so. I simply restored my program data and files to a new file and copy pasted to the proper directory and now everything is functioning properly. I did still have to install all my old programs but all my preferences, settings, and files associated with them work fine. Thanks for the help.

Seth Burkhalter

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:51 PM