none
Automatic updates hung up

Question

• About 11pm last night when I shut my HP desktop down, I got the blue screen with the message Not to power off or unplug the machine  - Installing update 1 of 18.  This morning at about 7am I found the same blue screen with the same message Installing update 15 of 18.  It is not about 2:30pm and there has been not change.  The updates are obviously hung up.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  This has never happened before.  What do I do?
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:29 PM

Answers

•  Hi

Which antivirus program are you using?

Try disabling antivirus program and check if it helps also make sure you turn the antivirus back on if the issue is fixed.

If the issue persists lets revert the updates in Winre mode using theDISM command and check if it helps

Method 1:

1: Go to system Recovery >cmd prompt

2:Type in the following command and press enter:

DISM /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

After the command is run successfully, restart the computer and check if the issue is fixed.

3:Restart the computer and then run the computer in Clean boot then upgrade the computer and check if it helps

for more info about the clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I hope you will get the solution of this issue doing all the steps I gave you. Best of luck

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:51 AM

All replies

• Look for more information into WindowsUpdate.log and find error here.

Try to get into Safe Mode , return to previous restore point and restart computer. After reboot initiate update procedure.

HTH

Milos

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:11 PM
  •  Hi

Which antivirus program are you using?

Try disabling antivirus program and check if it helps also make sure you turn the antivirus back on if the issue is fixed.

If the issue persists lets revert the updates in Winre mode using theDISM command and check if it helps

Method 1:

1: Go to system Recovery >cmd prompt

2:Type in the following command and press enter:

DISM /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

After the command is run successfully, restart the computer and check if the issue is fixed.

3:Restart the computer and then run the computer in Clean boot then upgrade the computer and check if it helps

for more info about the clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I hope you will get the solution of this issue doing all the steps I gave you. Best of luck

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

In order to help you solve the issues, I need your Windowsupdate.log and CBS.log.

Please post a copy of your Windowsupdate.log and CBS.log as a shared file to your Sky Drive with a link here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:27 AM