none
Xp Install on Laptop with pre-installed Vista

Question

•  

I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite A305D-S6856 with Windows Vista 64-bit pre-installed. I am trying to set up a dual boot with Windows XP Home Edition.  I've set up a new partition but when i go to install XP it checks the system and then before the installtion starts i get the following:

I get the blue screen of death and then it says that there is an error:

The tech notes are as follows:

STOP: 0X0000007B   (0XF78D663C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000) 

Can anyone help?

Sunday, October 12, 2008 9:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

I doubt that you can easily accomplish this setup with that system.

Ideally, you should always install the older operating system first when setting up a dual boot with different versions of the OS. The reason is obvious, the older system is not aware of how to work with the new system.

Among the other pitfalls, installing XP after Vista will damage the Vista Bootloader, which must be used to boot between the 2 installations. Fixing the bootloader requires that you have a Vista installation disk (Not an OEM Recovery disk) to access the proper tools to accomplish this.

There are some tutorials about how to do this on the internet that you can search for, but be very careful and make sure that you have all of the tools available.

Hope this helps and good luck.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Sunday, October 12, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest contacting Toshiba to confirm if Windows XP is supported by your computer first.

If so, as this issue is related to the Windows XP installed, please discuss it in our Windows XP newsgroup.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment&lang=en&cr=US

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:05 AM