none
WMP 12 changes and problems - PLEASE FIX!!!

General discussion

• This thread can be a place to post general problems in WMP 12 that did not exist in WMP 11.

Here is a start:

WMP11 music library will not be compatible with Win7, as WMP12 uses a different format.  You will have to let WMP12 rebuild your library from scratch.  I have 30k songs, and it has taken over 1.5 days of processing, and WMP12 has not yet finished re-making my library. 

The fact that MS did not bother to add a tool that will (automatically or not) update your WMP11 library is remarkable in its shortsightedness, and a huge mistake.

Also, MS removed any mp3 tag editing capability ("Advanced Tag Editor" is gone), and also removed the graphic equalizer.  Both were essential for me.  I have no idea why.  Things are not looking good for WMP12.  Also, it looks nowhere near as nice as WMP11.

Also new in WMP12 is the fact that you can no longer add a folder of files to the library without that folder being monitored by WMP for changes.  This creates huge problems when you have folders with large numbers of songs in them, as most people do nowadays.

Are there any plans to fix/address the above issues?

PROBLEMS in WMP 12:

1)  Can't add folder to library without having it monitored for changes - can't handle folders with large numbers of files, especially those on external or network drives.

2)  No advanced tag editor

3)  No graphic equalizer

4)  No WMP 11 library importer.  This is the most significant problem of all in WMP 12 in my opinion.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:19 PM

All replies

• By the way, I'm using WMP 12 build 12.0.7600.16415.

At the least, I would hope that MS would enable easy removal of WMP 12 and install of WMP 11 in Win7, at least until WMP 12 is made more reliable with large music libraries, or until a WMP 11 library importer is developed.  By easy removal I mean no registry edits. 

Constant monitoring of all music folders is not feasible with large libraries!  This issue was perfectly handled in WMP 11, as you could select only certain folders for monitoring.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Ooops.  I just found the graphic equalizer.  I had read somewhere that it had been removed.  Wrong!  My apologies.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:51 PM
  • A few more to add to your list;

* - No way to manually force an update of the library.

* - Can no longer "Find song in Library" from the now playing menu.

* - Doesn't update ID3 metadate for MP3's when you edit them in Media Player.

The loss of the Advanced Tag Editor is a major pain to me!!!  Now I have to use a third party app to correct problems in the library and I have a very large library of over 56K tracks on my Media Center PC.   Machines connected to the Media Center are constantly retrieving media information even when I haven't added any new content in weeks.

I too am very dissapointed in the removal of what I consider vital functionality from the Media player.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I got one more to add to your list...

Problems playing single videos file MPEG, AVI, WMV, DVD ect. The windows Media Player 12 crashes seconds after playing forcing me to close the program. To me the windows media player is useless if you can't play simple MPEG video files.

Microsoft tech people...please fix this.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Thank you all for your feedback. I will record this in our internal tool.

freesky2, have you installed any third party codec package? This issue seems to be caused by other codec. I don't have such issue when using Windows Media player 12.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:26 AM
  • To get the Library to update.

Go to Organize when in Library

Hit 'Apply media information changes'
    • Edited by Amoraluv Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:13 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:33 AM
  • that is unless it is corrupted. Which then it has to be removed and re-build.
    Also needs a reboot for it to see the rebuild of the library.
    I would also like to say that not having the Advanced Tag Editor Option is a pain.
    Since music.metaservices.microsoft.com data base is wrong half of the time or
    just plain out right wrong all together on what tracks the audio files came from. 
    What about the color what a bad choice cold steel blue sure is hard on the eyes.
    Can't seem to change the color oh well.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:57 AM
  • I'm sorry i may be dense here, but where is this 'Apply media information changes' and where is the 'options'?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:43 PM
  • I'd like to add.......

5) Continual library build problems.  I have followed several website instructions on how to rebuilt you library, and it has simply NEVER added everything correctly.  This seems a fairly fundamental requirement of a media player with a library facility.  The web is littered with people having library problems.

6) Random crashing when attempting to burn CDs, does not seem to be PC dependant, I have Win 7 x64 on two PCs with no common hardware and both crash about once in every 4 burns

7) The ability to make it add media to the library in the foreground like WMP11 used to.  At least then you know how many files it has found to add and you have some idea when your library will be built, with the background option you set up monitoring of files and just hope that some day it finds them all.  If you are using Win7 on a dedicated media PC this simply is not suitable, adding ALL files to the library when you set up the machine is an essential step of making the machine ready for it's sole purpose

Oh hold on here is another in the last 3 minutes....

8) When you set it to burn CDs in data cd format and put several albums on the burn list.  If you then hit record without a disc in it asks for a black CD, shove one in close the drive and when it detects the blank disc it starts burning, but the burn list looses most of the tracks from it's list. 
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:51 PM
  • my bad its Organize not Options

Also you can right click ur mouse when its hovering over the top bars of WMP and go to Tools and the same 'Apply media information' option is there also.

If you have ur menubar on u don't have to right click. Just go to Tools.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Thank you all for your feedback. I will record this in our internal tool.

freesky2, have you installed any third party codec package? This issue seems to be caused by other codec. I don't have such issue when using Windows Media player 12.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

No I do not have any third party codec packages installed. Just what Windows 7 installed, what ever they are.

Example : The last time I installed Windows 7 with all the system drivers and windows update. No other software I have was NOT installed to test the Windows Media Play 12.

Still to this day, I can not play simple MPEG video files, if I do the Windows Media Player freezes forcing me to close the WMP12 down. In the same system NO changes and with Vista Ulitimate 64-Bit I never ever had this issue with the Windows Media Player 11. The MPEG video files that I'm using has not changed or been altered in any way.

Further, I do not ever installed or used any third party codec packages for as long as I owned computer systems with windows os.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:34 AM
  • dude there is something seriously wrong with ur computer cause I can see my mpeg files just fine on WMP and everyother video file I can find in my folders.

Is ur computer custom made or is it factory? How much ram is on ur computer? you do know u need over 2 gb of ram to get windows 7 to work let alone have anything function.

Did the Win 7 Advisor say your computer was Win7 happy?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:15 AM
  • dude there is something seriously wrong with ur computer cause I can see my mpeg files just fine on WMP and everyother video file I can find in my folders.

Is ur computer custom made or is it factory? How much ram is on ur computer? you do know u need over 2 gb of ram to get windows 7 to work let alone have anything function.

Did the Win 7 Advisor say your computer was Win7 happy?

Theres nothing wrong with my system, I have not changed nothing since I bought the computer.

Bought my system from DELL the online webstore, Model Dimension E521.

The Windows 7 Advisor PASSED ALL devices needed and software stages and I can also upgrade to Windows 7 Ulitimate 64-Bit OS. (Green Checks acrossed the board)

I have 4 GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) of ram installed, ATI Radeon HD 3650 1 GB PCIE 2.0 Graphic card, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Dual-Core Processor.

One thing, When I had the same system with Vista Ulitimate 64-Bit installed, I had zero issues.
    HOW MANY TIMES MUST I SAY THIS...I HAVE NOT HAD NO ISSUES LIKE THIS WHAT SO EVER WITH VISTA AND WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11!

It's NOT my system, It's the totally buggy WMP 12, Thats the problem. All other included programs that came with Windows 7 work fine such as , Windows Media Center.

I also tested a retailed version of Windows 7 in a totally different system I have,  with Windows 7 ready, all high-end devices with 12 gb of ram, same result, the WMP 12 freezes when playing MPEG video files.

I guess I'll have to stay with VISTA 64-BIT OS, It's way better with zero bugs then any version Windows 7 retail or OEM.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I'm using a clean installed Windows 7 machine right now, but if I recall correctly the WMP11 database migration solely happens during the upgrade process to Windows 7.  I *believe* that the source DB is still left around, althought I don't recall where, and can be used to reseed the database. 

Removal of WMP12 is actually trivially easy: go to Turn Windows Features On or Off and uncheck the Windows Media Player option.

What specific functionality of the Advanced Tag Editor did you find interesting?  There's an existing ATE thread where those comments probably would be better situated, so you might want to voice your thoughts there.  Note that most of what the ATE could do, the regular library/shell can do. 

@freesky: Your issue is unrelated.  You should create a new thread of your own and post the crash information from Event Viewer so it can be looked at.  One point to note is that WMP12 has had perfect MPEG video playback on every system I tried.  I'd love to understand the specifics of your issue: make a new thread to discus it. If there IS some specific file(s) that kill the player, that'd be good to know so that support can get that fixed.  If it's some other system component, such as your video card driver, that's killing the player, that would be also good to understand. :)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 10:28 AM
  • What specific functionality of the Advanced Tag Editor did you find interesting?  There's an existing ATE thread where those comments probably would be better situated, so you might want to voice your thoughts there.  Note that most of what the ATE could do, the regular library/shell can do. 

Well,
     That kinda makes it pointless to have the media player there in the first place then? If as you say it better to edit the tag for the file from the "Folder" where the file is. Ok, that is slow and a waste of time when it could be done from the interface of the Windows Media Player like it used to. Then again editing the files outside of the WMP was broken in the beta releases.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:50 AM
  • That's not really what I said. :)  The Windows Media Player library can generally do everything the ATE could do.  The shell also has some metadata editing capabilities.  If your comment back is "why have WMP there", then you'll find that there's a handy Turn Windows Features On or Off option to make it go away.   If your interest is in improving the Player -- I find those types of comments interesting. :)
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I'm using a clean installed Windows 7 machine right now, but if I recall correctly the WMP11 database migration solely happens during the upgrade process to Windows 7.  I *believe* that the source DB is still left around, althought I don't recall where, and can be used to reseed the database. 

Removal of WMP12 is actually trivially easy: go to Turn Windows Features On or Off and uncheck the Windows Media Player option.

What specific functionality of the Advanced Tag Editor did you find interesting?  There's an existing ATE thread where those comments probably would be better situated, so you might want to voice your thoughts there.  Note that most of what the ATE could do, the regular library/shell can do. 

@freesky: Your issue is unrelated.  You should create a new thread of your own and post the crash information from Event Viewer so it can be looked at.  One point to note is that WMP12 has had perfect MPEG video playback on every system I tried.  I'd love to understand the specifics of your issue: make a new thread to discus it. If there IS some specific file(s) that kill the player, that'd be good to know so that support can get that fixed.  If it's some other system component, such as your video card driver, that's killing the player, that would be also good to understand. :)

@zachd

I'm totally done dealing with windows 7 and the WMP 12 issue, spending countless hours and sleepless nights trying to get WMP 12 to work right. I just reverted back vista, and must say WMP 11 is working great! no issues what so ever.

Also, I've tried windows 7 with WMP 12 in 8 different computer systems with high end devices (such as more then 8 gb of ram) that are completely and fully Windows 7 ready, same issue the WMP 12 freezes playing any media. Last night I reinstalled vista on all 8 computer system and WMP 11 is working totally great! on all computer systems.

I truely love windows 7, but, the WMP 12 is a very big problem and issue for me working in multimedia business. I wish (which I know will not happen) the choice to uninstall WMP 12 and install WMP 11 on windows 7 systems.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:21 PM
  • What had you tried?  I'd be interested in knowing pertinent details like that, as well as what the commonality would be between those systems.  But probably you'd be well suited to create your own thread so that anyone else who sees the same issue could more directly benefit from/engage in that discussion. :)  Stuff like what exactly is freezing (player or system), what exactly causes it (does it happen if the player is by itself, if the player plays audio, if the player plays AVI/WMV, or *just* playing MPEG), etc.

If it's really happening just playing MPEG, that's pretty illuminative given that the MPEG playback architecture hasn't changed for many years.  That historically would be strongly indicative of video card driver playback failure.  But that's just off the top of my head based upon the scant data you've mentioned so far.  You did mention it happened across "8 systems" - but the scope of the problem "freezing during MPEG playback" is generally too narrow to be indicative of a problem in the MS code given that other people aren't seeing this.  Again, that's conjecture just based upon the data mentioned so far, but generally should be fairly sound.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:35 AM
  • That's alot of babble you just typed.

On Friday, November 06, 2009 at 1:03 AM, I did start a new thread on the very same issue (which is now old). Why should I start a new thread? ...I'm not a typing go lucky guy. I came to this forum for answers for my issue. Also, I can't even post error images that I have on this forum, which would really help.

Many other people on here including you seem to blame it's my systems that causing this issue. In fact why is it that the WMP 11 on vista works perfectly. But, WMP 12 on windows 7 is very buggy not just on one system but, 8. Even 2 of my friends computer systems do the same thing with the same issue I'm having. My friends say its just that the WMP 12 software has a bad design and flaw, which is a bug.

My 2 friends also reverted back to vista just because of this issue. There tried of dealing with this issue too and ask why did microsoft change a user friendly great windows media player 11 with a buggy windows media player 12. Plus, there no option for the end-user to choose what Window Media Player version they want to install.

Like I've say before, I'm done dealing with this issue and Windows 7 forever!, I've already reverted back to vista on all 8 systems anyway.

Monday, November 23, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Ok Freesky I need more info on ur computer..... nevermind its a DELL *sigh*

I'm think ur computer is configured to be Vista happy but not Win 7 happy. What OS did it come with? Win 7 changes how it handles things and I always go to my motherboards website to download everything for when I do something major with my OS. So did you go to the manufactures website and download the latest configurations?

Just because the Win 7 advisor said u past its test doesn't mean you can sit back and twiddle ur thumbs and the OS will work. The silly thing said my video card won't work Aeros but I knew it was up to par and guess what it does do Aeros. All the thing does is check if their are drivers and configurations out on the web for u to download so ur computer will be Win 7 happy. You ur self have to go and get some of these things espesically the Bios since Windows Update don't handle stuff like that.

When is the last time you updated the Bios? Stuff like non working programs and files was happening to my Pops computer and as soon as I updated his motherboard's configurations everything started working.

Did you update ur video drivers to work with Win 7?

If you want us to help you please list everything that you did do, so we can check off possible solutions with you. If you tell us nothing you will always be stuck at square 1 getting fustrated with us cause we are not at the same spot as u are in what could be the problem.

If you want to show us pictures just upload ur jpgs or whatever at the Skydrive.com and use the html coding to insert the image. It would be better if it was a link that way not eveyone has to load it when the come to this thread.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:45 AM
  • OMG Freesky

I'm sorry to tell u but ur computer is not Win 7 compatible. Dell does not have the configuratiions for you to work with Win 7. I looked up ur Dimension E521 and the only Dimension computers that they have Win 7 updates for are 1000s and 2010s. Usually you can use Vista drivers but if your Bios is already to its max thats recommended to you, and all your firmware is uptodate, and your computer is still not working......Your going to have to stick with Vista or get a new computer.

This is what I got from the website:

If your computer is not on this list, installing Windows 7 is not recommended (the computer may not have the minimum hardware requirements needed or have very little functionality).
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:16 AM
  • @free: I was interested in "your" thread (which I've now responded to) because there were other issues from other people in this thread that I thought merited discussion.  Since yours too merited discussion, I thought it would be excellent to give them both adequate discussion space where people weren't tripping over unrelated conversations when looking at what's going on.  It's a mark of respect for you and all the other posters. :)

If it's a bug in WMP12, please tell me how to reproduce this failure.  I've played back a bunch of MPEGs on a bunch of systems, and I cannot resproduce this behavior.  This by Occam's Razor generally would point to some (errant) commonality between afflicted systems.  Perhaps that commonality exposes a hitherto unknown issue in the player: having a crash or hang dump to look at would be the first step to identifying where the problem truly lies.

@amor: I generally disagree that this can be pawned off as solely an "old system" issue.  If a given driver is not Windows 7 compatible (and that's what I suspect you and I both are thinking at this point), it should be flagged and handled as such.  It's important to MS to have "bad things" not happen, regardless of what's leading up to or causing them. :)

Monday, November 23, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Each time I start WMP 12, it scans all my libraries (for any changes). This results in a lot of disk activity (I checked in Resource Monitor). This process continues for about 5-10 minutes. During this, the other applications become very unresponsive. This is proving to such a pain.

Did anyone else experience this problem?
    Is there a way to turn off automatic scanning? I would be more than happy to turn it off.

Monday, November 23, 2009 9:04 AM
  • I'm not saying he has an old system

I'm saying Dell put his computer on the 'We are not moving along with it' List.

You got to admit Zach, that Win 7 is on a diffrent level then Vista. So alot of programs and configurations had to be rewritten so that some of our hardware would work on Win 7. Even i'm having trouble with my speaker balance with Win 7 since they are still in beta mode with the driver for my sound card and the Vista drivers don't cut it.

But i'm not even talking about drivers. I'm talking about the firmware/Bios. True some driver installations included a firmware update but not always, some times its a seperate thing. But with Bios u have to totally look it up on ur own. I saw the Bios update on the site for his computer and I want to know if he has it, because like I said Windows Update doesn't check things like that.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:09 AM
  • @Amoraluv

There we go again! I sick of hearing this. "Your computer system is old you must buy another computer thats windows 7 ready". In fact I did some reseach first on the dell website it says my first computer Dimension E521 is Windows 7 compatible it's on a list. I even called dell's tech support to get an answer if my dell Dimension E521 was Windows 7 compatible, dell said "yes".

Also, is the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor completely false saying it passed all devices and software I have on the Dimension E521, I think not, and  I even had the option to upgrade to Windows 7 Ulitimate 64-Bit over the Vista Ulitimate 64-Bit OS if I want to.

What about the 7 other computer systems I have are they old too, I think not. The other 7 computer systems have been built for windows 7 with high-end devices, all devices have the Windows 7 logo on them, is that a lie too, I think not.

The bottom line, You say that DELL and Microsoft is lying about my dell and other computers, that it's not windows 7 compatible. Just because the only one program WMP 12 will not work right...LoL!!...funny!

@Zachd

I told you I was extremely totally done with windows 7 and dealing with WMP 12, that ONE program does not work right. The rest of windows 7 does wonderfully. As what "Amoraluv" said, All my computer systems are old, there are not. The dell is 2007 (just about two years old) and the other computer systems are October 2009.

Monday, November 23, 2009 3:42 PM
  • I'm afraid the 'Your computer is not Win7 compatible' arguement doesn't really hold much water. 

1) A lack of specific drivers / profiles for Windows 7 on Dell's website just means the manufacturer is not interested in maintaining a profile of drivers for it's older machines.  It does not mean the drivers do not exist/are not build in/are not supported just fine by 3rd part drivers.

2) Windows 7 should have inbuilt drivers for any mainstream hardware from the last 5 years, so MOST machines already on the market have Win7 drivers provided by MS themselves built in to the installation

3) If a driver error can cause random unexplainable errors in WMP12 but not in 3d Games or other applications then MS have a severe problem with their underlying HAL and not just a buggy media application.

So unless someone has forceably installed drivers for innaccurate hardware by hand cranking the registry 'old pc' should not make the blindest bit of difference to reliability.  And old PC should simply have some components that don't work as there is no valid driver for it.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Yes!  My dell is Win7 compatible. I got this info from dell tech suport even before I did anything else. In fact the windows 7 DID run and ran well. Just the WMP 12 was the issue. Nothing else was giving me problems. 
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:49 PM
  • I don't know how to communicaate to u cause all u do is focus on key words that tend to set you off.

I clearly wrote that I didn't think ur computer was old, it just needed the firmware and/or bios updated on some of your devices. If you don't know what these things are you should just ask and stop going off the deep end about how we keep telling you your computer is old.

I also stated that the Advisory dosn't tell you everything that you might need to upgrade to Win 7. No one is lying to you. Its just sometime not everthing is placed in a cute collectable order right in front of you like a well served dish. You have to look for some of these these things.

My thing is you called the tech to see if your computer is Win 7 compatible but did you ask them what steps you needed to take so everything runs smoothly?

Dell E521 Here is the driver page for your computer and there are no Win 7 drivers but they do have Vista x64 drives and firmware.

Compatible Dimension Desktops These are the compatible Dimension Desktops that were shown to me when looking up your computer.

I'm not saying anybody is lying. I just wanted to know if you checked to make sure all your devices are up to par so they can function right for you.

I will clearly state this for you again...........I... Don't... Think... Your... Computer... IS.... OLD
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:36 PM
  • fo real fo real it sounds like a graphics card issue

They just updated the drivers for that model 6 days ago for a Win7 x64

These are some of the problems fixed in the latest upgrade:

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™

Software Suite for Windows 7. These include:

·       calMemCopy() no longer causes some systems with 2 ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2s

to become unresponsive

·       Resolved, high bit rate audio from Blu-ray discs might not output when using

PowerDVD 10

·       World in Conflict (DX10) no longer exhibits corruption when exiting from multiplayer

game with extended desktop

·       resolved Tom Clancy's HAWX (in DX9 and DX10) no audio output during game

play on some systems

·       Choppy video and audio no longer occurs when more than one digital audio

source is enabled

·       Wolfenstein no longer stops responding when running in display mode of 2560 x

·       Resolved WinDVD Blu-ray playback will not start until application has been

minimized and restored

·       WinDVD application now repaints and no longer remain on screen

·       Resolved display driver incompatibility with Resident Evil 5 Japanese release

·       Desktop is no longer cut short when 720P 60Hz HDTV custom mode is added in

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:53 PM

• I'm the person who started this thread.  I upgraded to Win7 Home Premium x64 from Vista Home Premium x64.  Did not use a clean install, just an upgrade.  My initial frustrations centered on my trouble rebuilding my music library from scratch using WMP 12.  It turns out that there were one or two corrupted files in my library that would hang the library update.  WMP 11 just skipped over these corrupted files, which were on an local but external eSATA HDD.  Running a disk error check identified the bad files and fixed the problem.  I then deleted the bad files and re-copied them from a backup.  My 30k song library then built fine.  I had to kill WMP12 by logging off many times in diagnosing the problem (I could not kill wmplayer.exe from Task Manager), and I think those brutal kills created the disk error on those files, which were mp3s that had been unreadable even by WMP 11.  I have heard about others having issues with WMP 12 building libraries using files on external disks.

I had also complained about Win7/WMP 12 always indexing folders added to the library.  I had thought that was partially behind my library building problem, but it was not.  Now, my 30k songs are all indexed, both on c: and the external drive.  All is working perfectly.  However, it may be more efficient from a system resource standpoint, especially when adding network folders to a library, to be able to select only certain library folders for active monitoring, as was the case in WMP 11.

I have had no problems playing mpegs or divx movies, except using the 64-bit version of WMP 12.  The 32-bit WMP 12 plays such files fine.  The divx codecs are now built into Win7, so one does not have to install Divx codecs separately.

Here are my remaining grievances with WMP 12:

1) Advanced Tag Editor.  Although one can access and edit most mp3 tag info from Explorer (a normal Win7 window), it is now impossible to edit some info that was editable using WMP 11, including album art and more.  Sometimes mp3s can get wrong art or multiple images imbedded in the tags, and it is impossible to remove them using Win7.  I use iTunes to remove them, or other tag editors such as mp3tag, etc.  I think MS should use this mantra:  "Anything iTunes can do, WMP can do it better."  Generally this is already true, but I shouldn't have to fire up iTunes or some freeware to edit mp3 tags.  Microsoft, please consider that WMP 11 users LOVED the tag editor, and although much of this capability is maintained in Win7 outside of WMP, it still is intuitive to include this capability within WMP as it was.

2) WMP 11 library importer.  At least upon live upgrade from Vista to Win7, WMP should AUTOMATICALLY convert existing WMP 11 libraries to WMP 12 libraries.  That is a no-brainer in my book.  Also, it should be possible to do that on demand, for example when a user does a clean install of Win7 and then copies over the WMP 11 library .wmbd files from a backup.  PLEASE DO THIS, it will save users a lot of headache!!!!!!!  Without this capability, users will have to re-create all their metadata that they entered manually.  I know about MetadataBackup, but I wouldn't ask users to rely on such freeware with unknown reliability.

3)  PLEASE re-active the ability to minimize WMP to the toolbar like WMP 11 (Taskbar Toolbar (Taskband)).  This still works with iTunes in Win7.  That feature was awesome, and its removal is very confusing, frustrating, and mystifying.  I know that there is a way to edit the registry to make this happen again, but obviously that is dangerous and not recommended.

4) Allow appearance personalization of WMP 12 using desktop themes, or otherwise (skins?).  Many are nonplussed about how WMP 12 looks compared to WMP 11.

Monday, November 23, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Here is another problem with WMP 12.

5)  Please re-instate the "Recently Added" item to the lists of genre, Artists, album, etc. under "Music" in WMP 12.  I know that one can make a custom live playlist, but one cannot view album art ("tile" view) when doing that.  Recently Added was a GREAT FEATURE of WMP 11, and is still present in iTunes and SongBird.  What was the reason behind the removal of this excellent feature in WMP 12?
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:25 PM
  • @freesky,

It is possible to downgrade WMP. You first disable access to WMP 12 using Set Program Access and Defaults, then install WMP 11. Links and more info are here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/469fb26b-79ca-4a64-8ac6-62161901b714/
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:05 AM
  • That's not really what I said. :)  The Windows Media Player library can generally do everything the ATE could do.  The shell also has some metadata editing capabilities.

Sorry I am not going to accept that you keep repeating this again and again without challenging you. It is just not true. As I said already the way you can interact with your library files in WMP12 is totally flawed because you can do things that you cannot un-do. You can add album art but you can't remove it. Yes you can replace it with another image but you can't remove it. Say whatever you like but this is "User Interface 101" and WMP12 got it wrong.

Actually let me add that if your attitude represents Microsoft's then you have been in self-denial mode since February when the negative feedback started pouring in this forum. It's 9 months ago and a lot of things could have been fixed if the reaction had been different.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:15 PM

• That'd be part of what I mean by "generally" and why I emphasized that word.

I'm intensely interested in understanding the precise reasons why people liked the ATE. I could certainly simply nod and say "Hey great idea", but I'd bet that knowing the specifics people were looking for would provide the best groundwork for any related discussions/improvements.
    I don't know anything about how forum feedback is handled.  The other guys with MSFT in their names might know. I believe that generally service packs do not add system features, so as such I'd suspect that the ATE at this time is a dead issue. Thus the net possibility for reaction to forum feedback, as I understand it, would probably be limited to bug fixes.

I'm not in any mode wherein I believe that the world or the player is the best that could ever be.  On the contrary, I'm interested in hearing precise and exact feedback.  You certainly can't try to nor succeed at pleasing everyone all the time - the usage studies show some amazing splits between how different people use players - but it's certainly interesting to me to hear people's precise non-vague comments since that potentially illuminates best practices moving forward. Put simply: I'm on "Your" side to the extent that you'll allow me to be, and my questions are in good faith.  A comment that "I loved the ATE" isn't nearly as useful as "I loved the ATE because it offered me...". :)

@free : That's entirely understandable.  My hope is that if other people ever hit your issue, that those people will be able to benefit from and answer the questions I've asked.  This and Amoral's ideas move us beyond "have you tried turning it off and on" troubleshooting into the specifics that can help provide exact and better solutions. I'm taking the long term view. :)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:39 PM

I don't know anything about how forum feedback is handled.

On the contrary, I'm interested in hearing precise and exact feedback.

mmmm quite contradicting statements I would say... you are interested in feedback but you don't know how it is handled? Are you running a social engineering experiment or what? Or just winding up people reminding them that whatever they ask for, it is never going to end up in a service pack? Why are you interested in "precise and exact feedback" if you don't even know what you want to do with it? Besides, if you think you haven't received precise and exact feedback after 10 months of complaints maybe this is a hint about your inability to actually understand the feedback!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Even if you were gunning for a "service pack" feature addition, you'd want to share precise and exact reasons for any particular cause given that that makes any ensuing discussions more concrete and actionable.  A support engineer (and I am not a support engineer) who said to their boss that "Eleventy people want XXX" would get less responsiveness than if they said "Eleventy people want XXX for these reasons...".  But given that MS has historically not added major media features in service packs: I'd probably guess that you're barking up the wrong tree - and being confrontational with someone who is perhaps on "Your" team.  If you have meta-concerns about "me", take it to my email - zachdms at hotmail (note: discussions of multimedia don't belong there and will be politely ignored).  I think it's boring and destructive to building meaningful dialogues. It would seem far better to me to focus on impressions of multimedia than meta-discussions of sustained engineering(?) that would belong in some other venue. :)

Different people have different feedback.  Merging that into one coherent synopsis can be an interesting challenge, but I think it's worth understanding more feedback rather than cutting off potential user insight after "10 months". :)

Why are you interested in "precise and exact feedback" if you don't even know what you want to do with it?

I certainly never said that I didn't know what I wanted to do with it.  Discussions of me/my interests are boring and belong to personal communications: let's stick to discussions of multimedia so we don't waste other people's time and insights. I've happily been a tech angel for a long time now: let's leave it at that. If not, take it to email. :)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:05 AM
  • UtenteAnonimo

I'm totally with you on the fact that WMP 12 has flaws espesically its meta filing system. I myself had circled around the fact that WMP 12 will take your music file and store the information on your computer somewhere and no matter what you do thru Windows you can't get it to change the information that WMP has declared is the right info. I had to take a third party meta changer and wipe out all the tags that WMP put on my music file so that I could put in the correct information.

What I don't agree with is people attacking other people when they are trying to see where your coming from because they might not have the same issues as you and so are unable to see what is happening in your world.

Its like going into the doctors office and saying  'Doc, I have a cough, cure it for me' The Doctor is going to raise his eyebrow at u and then fire off a whole lot of questions at you. Are you going to get mad at the Doctor cause he started interigating you? How do you think hes going to make you better? Would you feel good if he just handed you a Halls and told you to go home it will go away in a day? I doubt it.

Zach is basiclly saying 'ok you have problems with WMP, but could you go into more details about your problem'. This way MS can focus on what is bugg'n us and isolate the problem and fix it.

Zach might not be in charge of what is taken into consideration but at least hes helping people focus on what presisly is their problem with WMP instead of just saying 'WMP is flawed and MS needs to fix it'. MS is just going to role their eyes at you and move on cause you didn't pin point the issue on how they can replicate it so they can see your view of the situation.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Forum replies by MS have suggested that ATE in WMP 11 was "broken" and thus would have required a big re-write, and was thus removed.  There were some bugs in ATE.  For example, there were issues regarding file open access when editing tags, such as when you make edits, the edits are not always saved to all the tracks, as one track may be open for playing.  That was a bug in WMP 11.  No such issue exists in iTunes tag editing.  It was obviously a cost/benefit analysis at hand, and it was deemed too much trouble and cost to fix the problems, so ATE was removed from WMP and its capabilities were shifted to an Explorer library view.  What's done is done.  It is not coming back any time soon, apparently.  So, I think that the best thing for us to do is suggest improvements to the Explorer-based tag editing capability that now exists.  For one thing, it should allow us to clear out fields and album art completely if mistakes had been made, or if one is faced with garbage data in the tags.  iTunes has functions like "Convert id3 tags" and full tag/art editing/deletion capability.  Those or similar functions should be added to the Explorer-based tag editing capability.  Again,Ii hope that MS follows the mantra "Anything iTunes can do, WMP can do it faster and better."
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:24 AM

• Zach is basiclly saying 'ok you have problems with WMP, but could you go into more details about your problem'. This way MS can focus on what is bugg'n us and isolate the problem and fix it.

Zach might not be in charge of what is taken into consideration but at least hes helping people focus on what presisly is their problem with WMP instead of just saying 'WMP is flawed and MS needs to fix it'. MS is just going to role their eyes at you and move on cause you didn't pin point the issue on how they can replicate it so they can see your view of the situation.

Sorry I think this has been done already to the most possible detailed level. In one case of a bug I found I even uploaded the files you need to reproduce the problem.
    Now it's time for Microsoft to act on the feedback received, not to ask for more details.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Well, I just trashed my 2 year old Dell computer (E521) that people here are saying my computer is old and can't handle Windows 7 and WMP 12. This happens everytime when a new microsoft operating system is released, all the answers are your computer is too old you must buy another computer the runs windows 7 totally.

Dell tech support lied to me about my computer, the Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor totally lied and was false, the people on here are brainwashing you to believe that your computer is old and you must buy a whole brand new computer.

Finally, I believed dell tech support and microsofts Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor software, The windows 7 64-Bit DID run perfectly with no device and system driver issues. But, the Windows Media Play 12 was just buggy THATS IT! and microsoft refuses to to fix this issue or the user should be able to downgrade to any WMP they choose to install.

I've been building hundreds computers since the Windows 3.1 operating system came out...thats a long time. I think Windows 7 is worst operating system ever, with todays technology I would think microsoft would make a new operating system more device and user friendly to work with just a 2 year old computer.

I don't trust DELL and Microsoft anymore.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:04 PM
  • I have way older systems that run Windows 7 / WMP12 fine.  The notion that your computer is too "old" is, as you noted, ludicrous given that comparison.  What's likely happened is that some specific problem existed with your configuration(s).  Amoral has made some excellent educated guesses as to what precisely is amiss, and I've posed the questions (re: DMP) that would potentially lead to an even more exact answer.

You pose the notion that MS should "fix this issue" -- one key element to that would be getting the DMP file I'd requested.  That would actually tend to point out what "this issue" actually is, as opposed to having to guess wildly at a problem given vague non-leading symptoms.  Supposing they found something to fix - how would they know if it was "your" issue?  That's why the potential precision of the DMP is useful.

I look forward to either nobody ever hitting this issue again or the next person hitting this problem making available the DMP files that could lead to actual effective diagnosis. :)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Additional thought:
    We now have three interesting and unrelated tangents going on between TR, Utento, and Freesky.  Don't these belong in their own threads?  I think these "catch-all" threads are terribly ineffective for good communication.

@Utente: You're trying to end the discussion on unrelated subjects which might be of benefit to others.  I'm pretty certain that support isn't geared up to go rewrite the ATE or new feature request(s) du jour.  Bug fixes are the kinds of things that support would typically do.  As such, given that critical realistic assessment, it would be of the most benefit to have bug discussions in their own threads where support can get vital details - and have product / feature / etc discussions in their own threads where people can perhaps give their own requests and insight.  It's in your interests to have me asking for more details. :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I started this thread, and thus my posts ARE "in their own thread."  Zach, please don't waste your time and ours by telling us how to post.  I suggest that you spend your time here distilling any good ideas, enhancement requests, and bug fixes and reporting them to MS people who may be able to address them.

Thank you.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:23 PM
  • My major gripe with WMP 12, not existent in WMP 11:

In WMP 11, the playlist was always displayed in the right part of the screen (except in full screen mode).  Now on WMP 12, you have to manually right-click and choose "Show list" each time you open WMP and each time a new video starts.  After searching for an solution to this problem, I found this thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7pictures/thread/e0686b86-daf4-4677-9619-10e684f39731

Is there a fix in the works for this?  It seems like a bug (rather than a feature) that the playlist would disappear every time a video is played.  This is easily the most annoying change between WMP 11 and WMP 12, and I'm to the point where I want to remove WMP 12 from my Win7 install and put the older WMP 11 in its place.

One thing I noticed is that this only affects video files:  If I select multiple audio files in Explorer and hit Enter, WMP 12 opens the first file with that list of files in the playlist (note that I always have WMP open in windowed mode, i.e. not fullscreen).  The playlist stays visible all the time while playing the songs, and even after skipping around to other songs on the list.  However, if I select multiple video files in Explorer and press Enter, WMP 12 opens the first file but hides the playlist containing the rest.  I can right-click and choose "Show List" to show the list, but as soon as the video ends (or if I manually skip to another video) the list is hidden, and I have to right-click and choose "Show List" AGAIN.

Why is the behavior totally different than with audio files, without giving any way to configure it?  A simple "Always Show List" option would completely solve this issue (or maybe a checkbox - "Don't hide playlist while watching videos").  Please add this feature request to the list.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Additional thought:
    We now have three interesting and unrelated tangents going on between TR, Utento, and Freesky.  Don't these belong in their own threads?  I think these "catch-all" threads are terribly ineffective for good communication.

@Utente: You're trying to end the discussion on unrelated subjects which might be of benefit to others.  I'm pretty certain that support isn't geared up to go rewrite the ATE or new feature request(s) du jour.  Bug fixes are the kinds of things that support would typically do.  As such, given that critical realistic assessment, it would be of the most benefit to have bug discussions in their own threads where support can get vital details - and have product / feature / etc discussions in their own threads where people can perhaps give their own requests and insight.  It's in your interests to have me asking for more details. :)

I realise I am spoiling this thread so this will be my last message here.

You Zach are showing a patronising attitude that in my opinion makes you unsuitable to represent your company in a public forum. We are customers. It is in Microsoft's interests (more than ours) to capture feedback even when reported in an unstructured and vague way because YOU ARE SELLING we are buying. This is the ABC of the customer-supplier relationship. The fact that you write "your interests" in bold shows how wrong your attitude is.
    You are treating us like pupils at school because we are mixing feature requests with bugs and giving you a confused feedback? Sorry but who **** do you think you are? "New feature requests du jour"? An issue raised 10 months ago is "du jour"? You are using sarcarm to offend your own customers. Can you get worse than that?
    Yesterday you said that when we say that we don't like something we must explain "why" otherwise the support engineer will be less effective in reporting the problem. Well, let me say that your argument is valid when there is one unhappy customer; in this case, where there are hundreds of unhappy customers of WMP12, the responsibility to understand what went wrong lies with the supplier not with the 100s of customers.

As you have been told already: read, understand and plan improvements so that you make better products in the future, rather than wasting time patronising your customers on how they should behave.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:18 AM
  • That's an unfortunate misreading.  I personally find that it's possible that anybody might have valid insight at any point.  To me, you are friends.  I'm interested in listening.  I'm interested in helping be your advocate.  I'm potentially in a great position to be your advocate, where "your" isn't just you but every user out there that has interesting insight.  At the same time, I figured it's likely important to be honest and straight-forward, given that the chances of the ATE being added back "out of band" (outside of a normal release) are probably zero.  As such, this is .... Day One of a long ongoing conversation to me - as it has been in the past ten years I've been soliciting feedback and helping make improvements for enthusiasts (and others) here and there.  To be frank, I was working outside of multimedia for Windows 7, and am perhaps happy to be "back" in a position to be able to help you in the long-term and work on having minor or major decisions be more cohesive.  I don't want to oversell my ability to help you which is why I shall remain cagey, but - I'm potentially in a great position to help you.

I apologize for being selfish.  When I ask people to clarify the Why, it's because I truly, perhaps stupidly, believe that that lets me (and others) be a better advocate for your interests. 

As a final note, there's a great study about how electronic communication tends to be misinterpreted:
    * http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/egos.html

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I look forward to a long relationship with those of you who are interested in having one.  You will never be "just customers" in my book because to me you are at the least a user that I am grateful for and, because that's the way that I am, someone that I will treat as and advocate for as a friend.  Much love! -Z

@answer: That's an interesting feature request.  I do not believe that there is currently any support for that.  For more minor feature requests, generally either support would directly need to hear from a large large number of people Or you'd need to have a partner company advocating for the change.  So for the short-term that's unlikely to probably change.  But in the long-term that's one of the various oddities of the Now Playing view that hopefully bears review.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:06 PM
  • rotflmao
    Friday, November 27, 2009 12:46 AM
  • @answer: That's an interesting feature request.  I do not believe that there is currently any support for that.  For more minor feature requests, generally either support would directly need to hear from a large large number of people Or you'd need to have a partner company advocating for the change.  So for the short-term that's unlikely to probably change.  But in the long-term that's one of the various oddities of the Now Playing view that hopefully bears review.

@zachd: First of all, I want to say thanks for replying - it's good to know someone is paying attention to us lowly end users. ;)
    Windows 7 is relatively new, and as more people make the switch I believe more people will be annoyed at this "feature".  Even though it is new, I've still been able to find quite a few threads with people asking about this same issue.  I'm posting links to these threads here in hopes that this issue gains some steam:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7pictures/thread/e0686b86-daf4-4677-9619-10e684f39731 (same thread from earlier)
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r23129473-WIN7-Actually-WMP12-I-hate-when-MS-changes-things
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/7f79af9d-b015-45ee-b6ae-c33a2e3bddcf
    http://www.win7heads.com/music-pictures-video/12630-windows-media-player-12-always-show-list.html
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/windows-media-player-12-a-453385/#post6135843
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3043
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14616580

I actually found more than those, but they weren't in English so I didn't post them.  Over time, the number of these threads (and replies in the threads) will increase.  If this issue never has a chance of being resolved, perhaps an installer for WMP 11 should be made available for Windows 7 (although this seems like a lot more work that simply adding a checkbox to WMP 12 to get the desired functionality).  Currently, the only way to downgrade is to take ownership of specific system files, edit the registry, and use a 3rd party WMP 11 installer that some guy made.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Thanks. I greatly appreciate the opportunity to interact with, listen to, and learn from all of you. :)

Microsoft rewriting WMP11 to be Windows 7 compatible is probably not going to happen period, so that tangent is probably a dead end in any discussion.  It seems like there's some random system hacks that do that kind of thing: that will likely remain the only "viable" option for that option for the next forever.  I point this out straightforwardly because energy spent thinking that that might happen is probably energy wasted.  :(

The key takeaway there is: Windows 7 development is done: you have it in your hands, and it is what it is.  Support will help make bug fixes and such over time, but the development team behind Windows 7 is probably off doing other things at this point.  So the guys who wrote Now Playing are no longer working on Windows Media Player 12 because -- that's done and you have it in your hands.  The people who wrote WMP11 -- they finished work on that ages ago and it's in support's hands.

Getting back to your-and-my-current-topic: There's two ways to cast the Always Show List feature:
    1: A feature request / "product limitation fix request" against Windows 7/WMP12.  That'd go through the support channels I mentioned.  If you're trying to negotiate that through the MS forums, I don't think you're going to get very far.  One of the support people here (the other peoples with MSFT in their names) might know more about that angle.  But generally since it isn't really breaking your experience, it's not really a bug ... and to get that kind of feature request approved for any kind of patch / bug fix / service pack / etc you'd really need some unbelievably good reason to do so.

2: A feature suggestion for any potential future versions.  Those are a lot trickier in some ways in that those generally are more directly the product team(s) and not support - and support (who might help with bug fixes such as crashes or corrupted data and that sort of thing) are usually the people around here.  Results will vary and time frame is usually longer term.

I would consider #2 taken care of.  The suggestion's noted and we'll see what happens over time.  Of potential relevance is that the Player release cycle lately has seemed to be a lot slower than the Zune release cycle.  It seems like that team is more geared up to provide better turnaround.  I personally like the Player more, but -- the Player generally has multiyear turnarounds. =\

Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:31 AM
  • I have a couple of suggestions. I didn't read through the entire thread so my appologies if anything is repeated. It pertains to Zune 4.0 and WMP 12.

1. WMP 12 toolbar should be re-instated.
    2. Both Zune 4.0 and WMP 12 should remain minimized when opening a new song. It's very irritating to minimize it evey time I open a new song from a folder.
    3. Zune 4.0 should allow a person to open a song when it is dragged over the player in mini-mode or while in the taskbar. The same should apply for WMP 12 if the toolbar is put back.
    4. The WMP 12 taskbar hover preview could be enhanced.

It'll be nice if (2) can be fixed with an update soon.

Thanks,
    Mitka

Monday, December 21, 2009 6:22 AM
  • I have the same problem..
    Tech info below

Audio Codecs

TypeNameFormatBinaryVersion
    ACM Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC 0011 imaadp32.acm 6.1.7600.16385
    ACM Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC 0007 msg711.acm 6.1.7600.16385
    ACM Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC 0031 msgsm32.acm 6.1.7600.16385
    ACM Microsoft ADPCM CODEC 0002 msadp32.acm 6.1.7600.16385
    ACM Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (decode only) 0055 l3codeca.acm 1.9.0.401
    ACM Decode AC3 and DTS audio 2001    
    ACM Messenger Audio Codec 028E sirenacm.dll 14.0.8089.726
    ACM ffdshow Audio Decoder 3313 ff_acm.acm 1.0.0.1
    ACM Microsoft PCM Converter 0001    
    DMO WMAudio Decoder DMO 0160, 0161, 0162, 0163 WMADMOD.DLL 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO 0162 WMADMOD.DLL 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO WMSpeech Decoder DMO 000A, 000B WMSPDMOD.DLL 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO MP3 Decoder DMO 0055 mp3dmod.dll 6.1.7600.16385

Video Codecs

TypeNameFormatBinaryVersion
    ICM Microsoft RLE MRLE msrle32.dll 6.1.7600.16490
    ICM Microsoft Video 1 MSVC msvidc32.dll 6.1.7600.16490
    ICM Microsoft YUV UYVY msyuv.dll 6.1.7600.16490
    ICM Intel IYUV codec IYUV iyuv_32.dll 6.1.7600.16490
    ICM Logitech Video (I420) i420 lvcodec2.dll 12.0.1278.0
    ICM Ligos Indeo® Video Raw R1.2 YVU9 iyvu9_32.dll 1.20.15.1
    ICM Cinepak Codec by Radius cvid iccvid.dll 1.10.0.12
    ICM Intel Indeo(R) Video R3.2 IV32 ir32_32.dll 3.24.15.3
    ICM Intel Indeo® Video 4.5 IV41 ir41_32.ax 4.51.16.3
    ICM Intel Indeo(R) Video R3.2 IV32 ir32_32.dll 3.24.15.3
    ICM Xvid MPEG-4 Codec XVID    
    ICM ffdshow Video Codec FFDS    
    DMO Mpeg4s Decoder DMO mp4s, MP4S, m4s2, M4S2, MP4V, mp4v, XVID, xvid, DIVX, DX50 mp4sdecd.dll 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO WMV Screen decoder DMO MSS1, MSS2 wmvsdecd.dll 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO WMVideo Decoder DMO WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVA, WVC1, WMVP, WVP2 wmvdecod.dll 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO Mpeg43 Decoder DMO mp43, MP43 mp43decd.dll 6.1.7600.16385
    DMO Mpeg4 Decoder DMO MPG4, mpg4, mp42, MP42 mpg4decd.dll 6.1.7600.16385

MPEG/DVD Filters

TypeNameBinaryVersion
    video ffdshow Video Decoder FFDshow.ax 1.0.7.3227
    video Ligos MPEG Video Decoder Mpeg2Decoder.ax 1.2.0.79
    video InterVideo Video Decoder IVIVIDEO.ax 7.0.27.248
    video Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder msmpeg2vdec.dll 6.1.7140.0
    video CBVA DMO wrapper filter cbva.dll 6.1.7600.16385
    audio ffdshow Audio Decoder FFDshow.ax 1.0.7.3227
    audio Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder msmpeg2adec.dll 6.1.7140.0
    audio InterVideo Audio Decoder iviaudio.ax 9.0.14.95
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I would realy love to have the ability to choose a defalut location (and file type) for auto playlists.  This would enable me to store my auto playlists on a NAS drive and access them from the various devices around my home.
    QC
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Too many replies to wade through...

I spotted this one today.

Automatic track preview on hover does not stop playing when mouse moves to another song

Turn on "Automatically preview songs on track title hover". Point at a song and let it play for a few seconds. Now move your mouse downwards to the next song in the list. The preview popup changes the track title, but the timer continues to tick and the previous song continues to play.

Fix: move mouse away from the list to any blank area. The previewing track stops playing. Then point mouse at next track to preview.

Monday, August 23, 2010 3:23 PM
  • The automatic track preview will automatically stop if it gets notification that you've shifted focus.  There are a variety of ways to fidget around and not let the track preview get that notification.  As you noted, that's easy enough to correct when you're in that temporary odd state.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:20 AM
  • I would also like to point out a feature that is missing in #12 that used to be in #10 back in the good old days.

In the library view you can sort music by album artist, song title etc with the bars at the top, but say i have it sorted by album artist and i want to jump to say Jack Johnson, why cant i just hit "j" on my keyboard and it jumps to the "j" section of the playlist? Instead i have to search for j in the search bar at the top and then when i play a song it will only play songs from the list created when i searched "j". What if i want to play a particular song in a very large playlist but still want the whole playlist to play? I would have to manually scroll to the "j" section and find the song. In WMP #10 you were able to sort the music by artist and then just hit a key and it would jump to that section. I remember when WMP #11 came out and that functionality was lost, then i went on to use itunes for the past few years, which has a far more user friendly UI, but recently i sold my iphone and want to get an android phone but i really am not enjoying the UI of windows media player.

PLEASE MICROSOFT FIX THIS PROBLEM!!

I imagine it would be very easy to fix and would make using WMP sooooo much more enjoyable.

Cheers

Sunday, November 07, 2010 12:09 AM
  • Hi

I really hope someone from Microsoft or a kindly forum member can take pity on a WMP novice.

I installed the Hotfix from KB Article Number(s): 978529 to resolve a problem converting WMP lossless files to lower bitrate to play on an SD card. However I must be installing the hotfix incorrectly because the version of WMPLAYER.EXE has not changed to version 12.0.7600.20615 as specified in KB978529. The unzip asked for a folder location and defaulted to c:\, I also tried c:\windows but the error persists and the version of WMPLAYER.EXE has not changed. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or suggest how I might get this resolved. DAZED and CONFUSED in DONEGAL !!

Paddy Colhoun
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:35 AM
  • I installed the Hotfix from KB Article Number(s): 978529  to resolve a problem converting WMP lossless files to lower bitrate to play on an SD card. However I must be installing the hotfix incorrectly because the version of WMPLAYER.EXE has not changed to version 12.0.7600.20615 as specified in KB978529. The unzip asked for a folder location and defaulted to c:\, I also tried c:\windows but the error persists and the version of WMPLAYER.EXE has not changed. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or suggest how I might get this resolved. DAZED and CONFUSED in DONEGAL !!
    Answered this at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/96bacc66-bf4c-4e14-8c8f-e96da8eb223c .

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Give up...Microsoft has failed...whereas WMP 11 worked have way decent....wmp 12 gave up the ghost along time ago...hears the deal: having been in the IT industry for upwards of 15 years I discovered along time ago that basic userers are "NOT" interested in the technology of how applications and programs work: THEY ARE INTERESTED IN WHY DOESN'T IT WORK!!!" Ok...this is where I am with it to : "IT DOESN'T WORK AND AS A PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN I'M PISSED!!!' Apple is kicking much ass now!!!!

Again...the question: "WILL THEY FIX IT????"

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Im chipping in at the end of this thread, posted on others including this site early on in Win7/WMP12 and most is cured imho. HOwever, the last month or so, it has become a bit unstable again. At the start i had serious problems adding my 40k library that was fine in Vista x64 WMP11 to W7 x64 WMP12, eventually after much tearing hair out, windows updates and i guess fixes.. i experienced a period of decent stability and usability i expected. However, just the lat month its starting with crazy behavior again. I've had the library empty a few times upon starting, then building from scratch or duplicating every track (2 x every track). Tonight i noticed the star ratings no longer work whether you click on the star icons themselves or if you right click the track and select rate, then the value. When i boot the same machine in Vista 64 (multiboot) the same library works fine with absolutely zero issues in WMP11.

I also concur with others who would like a different way of the app enumerating the library other than this constant background scan thing. I'd like a scan for changes option that can be forcefully invoked as well a complete scan (scan in depth for changes to everything like tags, artwork, filenames for every file) again that can be forcefully invoked without having to remove/add the watched folder each time.

Would also like a powerful tag editor included, Ive got Mp3Tag and Tag&Rename, which between the two are great, but given the fact the WMP12 library is so sensitive compared to WMP10 / WMP11 with the same file library, its irritating for me, but probably insurmountable for people less capable than those posting on this thread.

I know its Minor stuff compared to the appalling beginnings of WMP12 on W7 retail (sorry it was woeful), but really Tothebridge88, you nailed it. I also have an Ipod Touch (for my car audio) and whilst i dislike the apple marketing hype and their proprietary locked-in architecture, the basics (i mean real basics) like adding your large MP3 collection, without it constantly re-adding your entire library and other 'dumb stuff' that people like and use such as star ratings simply works with Apple and never gets broken. Their OS' on the other hand are like "my first computer" toys that are normally aimed at 5 y/o and below.

Now im not saying im gonna go buy a mac (obvious by now), im not a computer novice or that retarded, but c'mon microsoft, with windows 8, please use evolution, not revolution. If  you are going to make fundamental changes to the way certain 'apps' work, 'apps' that people expect to be in your ultimate version of the OS (Like WMP/WMC), then please ensure the basics work at least as well as the version before and don't release tripe that just p**ses customers off who buy each and every release of your OS.. then ignore/deny there is a problem for months and months, that approach breaks every customer service rule in the book. If theres a problem, respond honestly and tell us estimated timescale to resolve, doesnt have to be precise, just indicate so customers can build some level of expectation. YOu will get less negativity and switch less customers away to retarded iOS alternatives.

PS1. Sorry Apple (and apple fanbois) for using the term 'app' i forgot Apple invented that 25 years ago and i have violated their IP apparently.

PS2. still the best version of WMP is 11, it was 10 that got me away from Winamp but 11 that sealed it, WMP12 is worse than WMP10 at doing the basics people expect of a media player, MS team, please think about that in context of future direction.

PS3. Apart from occasional WMP12 issues, Windows 7x64 very stable now, only had to revert back to clean sparkly image twice in last 12 months, but thats normal for me anyway.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Would also like a powerful tag editor included, Ive got Mp3Tag and Tag&Rename, which between the two are great, but given the fact the WMP12 library is so sensitive compared to WMP10 / WMP11 with the same file library, its irritating for me, but probably insurmountable for people less capable than those posting on this thread.
    The Windows Media Player Plus! plug-in adds a new tag editor to WMP, including version 12.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:53 PM
  • How about functionality that was there in previous versions and is gone now?

Biggest one is the Advanced Tag Editor.

I wonder why companies develop new versions with less functionality!

(Yes, I know you can drag and drop album art and there are some fields that can be edited in library mode).

Advanced Tag Editor let you edit tags in batch and gave you the ability to add lyrics.

BAD DESIGN on MS's part for WMP12!

Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:07 PM