none
XP mode Freezes/Crashes Host

Question

• I'm running the RTM of W7 Ent on a Dell D531 (AMD proc). Windows 7 runs great, installed VitualPC and XP mode. All bios hardware virtualization settings are on. XP mode start preping the machince and about a percent or 2 into the setup the host reboots. No errors in the system logs... nothing, just a reboot.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled several times with the same result. Also copied a working VPC 2007 VM hard drive running XP and the same issue occurs. Gets to the XP logo with bar moving across the bottom, couple seconds, and boom a reboot of the host.

After the initial reboot, another attempt either causes a reboot or freezes the entire host forcing a power down.

Looking for help here... I wouldn't expect a RC to crash the host regardless.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:07 PM

All replies

• Please update the BIOS to the latest version available. It has resolved such issues in the past.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:09 PM
  • I'll double check but I believe I'm using the most recent BIOS dell has available. Any other suggestions?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Let us know the BIOS status and if the update (if available) resolves this. Then we could look into this further.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:46 PM
  • You refer to "Virtual PC 2007" - are you using "Windows Virtual PC"? 
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:44 PM
  • I probably should have elaborated more in my previous reply  - XP mode was  specifically designed to run in Windows Virtual PC 2007 and Windows 7.
    Vista will also run in Windows Virtual PC  2007, however the integration components (included with XP Mode) must be installed separately.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I'm using BIOS A08 for the D531 which is the most recent BIOS for this model available from Dell.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Thanks, but I understand all that, what I was saying was using Windows Virtual PC RC on Windows 7 Ent x64 RTM I have the same problem setting up XP mode, and creating a new VM using an existing VPC 2007 virtual hard disk.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Let us know the BIOS status and if the update (if available) resolves this. Then we could look into this further.

I'm using BIOS A08 for the D531 which is the most recent BIOS for this model available from Dell.

Any other suggestions
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Can you check the system setting for automatically Restart and see if that helps.

Go to Computer -->Right Click--> Properties -->Advanced System Settings -->Start up and recovery --> Automatically restart.. is that checked and see unchecking helps to get some more information.

Also is there anything in the System Event viewer about the unexpected reboot.
    Thanks, Vrijesh Kothari **** This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Can you check the system setting for automatically Restart and see if that helps.

Go to Computer -->Right Click--> Properties -->Advanced System Settings -->Start up and recovery --> Automatically restart.. is that checked and see unchecking helps to get some more information.

Also is there anything in the System Event viewer about the unexpected reboot.
    Thanks, Vrijesh Kothari **** This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

Just unchecked, I'll see if I can crash it and let you know. The only events are about the system unexpectedly shutting down. I have a photo of a blue screen error I did get when attempting to start another VPC that was created using a vhd I had from a running and working VPC 2007 machine...

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

*** stop: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000061, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF880009EA180, 0x0000000000000001)

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I have the exactly same problem, on the same hardware ( Dell D531, Turion X2 Processor TL 58, 4Gb RAM ) and windows 7 version. Already try to update the BIOS, enable and disable Virtualization Assistance on BIOS, and still got the same problem, when the VM starts, the progress bar go near to "Starting VM OS" and the computer restarts, and i tried a working VM from VPC 2007 and the Windows XP Mode from Microsoft WebSite, got the same behavior.

I realy like Windows 7 x64, almost everything works great and fast, just this function cause me a problem :(.

Any other help ?

Fabio Al Kas
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:54 PM
  • The best thing to do when a problem like this occurs is to raise an official support incident. I recommend opening a support incident with both Microsoft and Dell.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Can you please let me know if this issue is resolved - I have exactly the same issue.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:22 AM
  • I highlighted this problem early this year without any real success on a solution

My original post was titled "Virtual Guest reboots Host Operating System" - the reboot of the host OS occurs when using Hardware Assisted Virtualisation; not only using Windows Virtual PC but also Virtual Server 2005

Dell BIOS for the D531 is still at A08

I've changed my OS to Windows 7 and still get the issue...

I've not made the opportunity to contact Microsoft or Dell directly on this...has anyone come up with a solution / work around?

Thanks

EDIT 20091022 21:55

This was my original query way back way

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.virtualpc/browse_thread/thread/be870721a28cfa26
    • Edited by Craig M Whelan Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:55 PM updated with link
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:47 AM
  • I have spoken to the Microsoft Virtualisation Program Manager a he confirmed it is known bug in Dell BIOS. I have raised a case with Dell, number 9179849.

We will need to wait for BIOS update.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Does anyone know if Dell has a notification system that I'm not seeing that will email me when the new BIOS is available. I have 2 more D531s that I'm waiting to bring to Win7 because they need to use WVPC (I had already brought mine up, but am suffering from this crash issue).
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Does anyone know if Dell has a notification system that I'm not seeing that will email me when the new BIOS is available. I have 2 more D531s that I'm waiting to bring to Win7 because they need to use WVPC (I had already brought mine up, but am suffering from this crash issue).

Not that I know of... but if anyone does see a new bios released from Dell I'd appreciate it if whoever notices it would post a reply. Maybe Richard would be so kind since he's opened a case with Dell.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:24 PM

Another update... I contacted dell to and opened a case... here's what I found...

11:50:19 AM     Customer   Philip Morrow 
    Please look up your case#: 9179849... I've having the exact same problem and would like the bios patched to fix this problem... also reference...http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/85d3ca80-7729-43b5-82f1-c29f6f05f0a1/?prof=required
     11:51:47 AM     Customer   Philip Morrow 
    I also have a photo of a blue screen error I got as mentioned in the post that the link takes you too.
     12:02:55 PM     Agent   Pro Support Jim Lee 
    A BIOS update is being worked on, but it is not available yet.
     12:03:22 PM     Customer   Philip Morrow 
    good news... any idea on an ETA... week, months...?
     12:03:45 PM     Agent   Pro Support Jim Lee 
    No information on when.
     12:04:04 PM     Customer   Philip Morrow 
    k... is there any way to be notified once it's been released?
     12:05:10 PM     Agent   Pro Support Jim Lee 
    There is not an automatic notification. You'll just have to check the drivers and downloads site.
     12:05:33 PM     Customer   Philip Morrow 
    k... do I get a case # to reference for this?
     12:05:50 PM     Agent   Pro Support Jim Lee 

So now we have 2 cases open and know they are working on the fix... just have to wait. Again, if anyone sees the update posted please let the rest of us know.

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Philip

Do you know if Dell need any testers for their BIOS update? There seems to be plenty of us that would be capable of being a good test base for their revised BIOS for the D531

Do you know of any Dell forum this might be cross posted on, if it isn't already...just to get more awareness - might speed Dell up a bit!

Craig
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:53 PM
  • null response from Dell to date. Will update the forum as soon as any progress is made.

I got an initail response from Microsoft within a day and the diagnosis a day later!!!
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Philip

Do you know if Dell need any testers for their BIOS update? There seems to be plenty of us that would be capable of being a good test base for their revised BIOS for the D531

Do you know of any Dell forum this might be cross posted on, if it isn't already...just to get more awareness - might speed Dell up a bit!

Craig

Not sure how they handle their bios testing... I've search extensively on this and I did fine one dell forum post with no replies... and a couple others that sound related...

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19275650/19489020.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/048ee1d1-fd34-4b64-8e2f-82fce4453928

http://www.winvistatips.com/virtual-guest-reboots-host-operating-system-t523847.html

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19519 (different virtualization software)

http://www.csrvirtual.com/Virtual-PC-crashes-Vista-on-AMD-Turion-t96608.html

I suppose if we all gang up on that one dell post and get more recent engagement from them maybe we can at least get ETA updates.

Phil
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I have the same problem with a Dell Latitude D531 laptop, running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Did contact Dell help line, but the person I contacted was unaware that this problem exists.

Anxiously awaiting a BIOS update.
    I do have a 16 bit app that I want to run in Windows XP (WXP) Mode.
    I could install my own copy of WXP in VMware, but really would like to test WXP Mode.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:40 PM
  • I dont think its a problem with dell hardware, because i´m able to install VMWare GSX Server, and its working perfectly, using hardware virtualization feature. I think its a problem of MS Virtual PC, on this dell laptop. May be we should contact Microsoft isntead of Dell to solve the problem.

Regards.

Fabio Al Kas
    EMAIL GONE
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:12 PM
  • I installed RTM for both Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC. 
    Same darn result.

Wish I had Intel processor. 

Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:54 AM
  • So I know this is a long post, but at this point it sounds as if we may need to write our own bios fix.... any volenteers? This seems to be a running trend these days... more and more I find my systems becoming obsolete due to driver availability and moreover bios fixes and updates. I have an old ASUS board that still works great but badly needs a bios patch/update or two and they just stopped releasing fixes.

Enjoy...

11:17:34 PM        ME:  can you look up this case and see if you have any info on when the bios patch will be available.
     11:17:35 PM        ME:  805520527
     11:17:48 PM        ME:  I was told they are working on it
     11:18:21 PM        Dell support:  Do you have the service tag for that system?
     11:18:27 PM        ME:  same system
     11:20:51 PM        Dell support:  Ok is that regarding a BIOS update for Windows 7 64 bit?
     11:21:50 PM        ME:  if you want to put it that way... it's an issue with how the bios handles the CPU virtualization features, that cause virtual pc in windows 7 to crash
     11:23:01 PM        Dell support:  I see - We cannot troubleshoot the operating system unless it's in it's OEM configuration (32 Vista/XP).
     11:23:26 PM        Dell support:  There are no drivers or BIOS updates in conjunction with the W7 64 bit OS.
     11:24:12 PM        ME:  I didn't ask for troubleshooting... I wanted to know if the bios update I was told already by your support team is being worked on has a release date yet?
     11:24:28 PM        ME:  I just need a progress update on the bios fix
     11:24:36 PM        Dell support:  No - there is no updates at all.
     11:25:07 PM        ME:  I know there isn't now... can you see when the fix they are working on will be ready?
     11:25:16 PM        Dell support:  We're hoping that there will be updates, but as of now - there are no updates in the works (at least not passed down to us Techs)
     11:25:32 PM        ME:  hmmm
     11:25:50 PM        ME:  So did the last tech I worked with give me bad info
     11:26:00 PM        ME:  how were they able to tell me a fix is in the works
     11:26:07 PM        Dell support:  No - I think he's hoping for the best
     11:26:36 PM        ME:  so neiter of you can say if a fix is being worked on... is that what you're saying?
     11:27:17 PM        Dell support:  All I can say is that there is no definitive date on the updates. We're told that it will be worked on...
     11:27:32 PM        Dell support:  As of now, we have no word on that.
     11:28:04 PM        ME:  so with that said what's the status of that case in your system
     11:29:57 PM        Dell support:  The case is still in the system.
     11:30:09 PM        ME:  I know that... status?
     11:30:09 PM        Dell support:  No updates posted on it.
     11:30:23 PM        ME:  closed, open, pending fix???
     11:30:32 PM        Dell support:  oh - closed.
     11:31:51 PM        Dell support:  The prior tech had it closed it.
     11:32:05 PM        ME:  so we need that reopened then... the response I got was it's being worked on... which is different than it will be worked on... please reopen that case and excalate.
     11:32:19 PM        ME:  escalate
     11:33:24 PM        ME:  can you tell me the status of this case?
     11:33:25 PM        ME:  9179849
     11:34:04 PM        ME:  it should be on the same issue
     11:34:12 PM        Dell support:  what number is that please?
     11:34:17 PM        ME:  9179849
     11:34:17 PM        Dell support:  it doesn't come up as a service request.
     11:34:47 PM        Dell support:  what is the service tag for that number?
     11:34:55 PM        ME:  don't know
     11:35:10 PM        ME:  Agent (Pro Support other guy): was able to find reference to that case on 9/30
     11:35:35 PM        ME:  it's for a different system but same model (D531)
     11:36:53 PM        Dell support:  I'm looking at the service tag you entered and I see the notes referencing that number - but I can't pull that up as a service request (doesn't exist).
     11:36:53 PM        Dell support:  Also I noticed
     11:37:23 PM        Dell support:  in the notes that tech was told "IPS is always working on BIOS updates. As long as the system is shipping, we will continue to support our products."
     11:38:17 PM        ME:  great... so back to, reopen the case please... if there isn't an open case tracking the issue they aren't working on, how will it ever get fixed??
     11:39:03 PM        Dell support:  Also, the Latitude D531 is currently not shipping.
     11:39:13 PM        Dell support:  That doesn't mean that there isn't going to be any updates
     11:39:25 PM        Dell support:  We will just have to wait and see
     11:39:41 PM        Dell support:  I can escalate this as well. 
     11:40:09 PM        ME:  right but unfortuanatly you sold me a support contract for 3 years... which I expect continual support during that time... please reopen that case and escalate. 
     11:40:38 PM        Dell support:  You're right we will support the system.
     11:40:52 PM        Dell support:  Again, your warranty only supports the original OEM configuration.
     11:40:56 PM        Dell support:  Not Windows 7
     11:41:42 PM        Dell support:  We can try to help you but with limited updates, we may not be able to resolve the issue unless it's in its original software configuration (Vista/XP 32 bit).
     11:42:44 PM        ME:  the system was purchased with software licenses yes and they weren't windows 7 yes, but a case with MS has already been opened and they can't fix a dell bios issue... so what, I'm just SOL. if that's the case, then this case will remain open until my support expires
     11:43:27 PM        ME:  there is a large user base already with this issue on D531s
     11:43:57 PM        ME:  and we're all waiting on an update I thought and was told was on the way
     11:44:38 PM        Dell support:  Again, we can replace all the original hardware on the computer and original software installed. Anything beyond that will be with our best effort - no guarantee that we will able to resolve something that's not supported, but we'll definitely try.
     11:45:08 PM        Dell support:  Again, we will have to wait and see when the updates will come out.
     11:45:23 PM        Dell support:  I wish I can point you to a link on our support site to give you what you need
     11:45:36 PM        ME:  that's not a great answer
     11:45:36 PM        Dell support:  but there isn't anything that has been passed down to us yet
     11:46:28 PM        ME:  either way please at least reopen that case and escalate... the official release to everyone is 2 days away. I'm sure you'll get more calls once people realize the issue
     11:47:13 PM        Dell support:  Not a problem - I will note that on this case and will escalate
     11:47:21 PM        ME:  thank you
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:02 AM
  • I have spoken to the Microsoft Virtualisation Program Manager a he confirmed it is known bug in Dell BIOS. I have raised a case with Dell, number 9179849.

We will need to wait for BIOS update.

Richard, I don't know if your still following this issue but you may want see if you can get an update. Also, do you have any detailed info from the MS folks that might assist. A formal case number etc. that could be referenced?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:04 AM
  • The contact at Microsoft I spoke to was:

Rahul Razdan [Rahul.Razdan@microsoft.com]
    Program Manager
    Virtualization | Microsoft

His response was:

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with Dell BIOS. I am trying to find out if Dell released a BIOS update to fix this issue. I will update you as soon as I find any updates on this. Meanwhile, it would be a good idea to file an issue with Dell as well.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:11 AM
  • I have been in contact with Dell, looks like we are all buying new hardware. Key part of chat with Dell is below, note the ATA, AHCI mode discussion.

08:39:22        Richard Mason  Windows 7 virtualisation will not work on D531. Have been in direct contact with Microsoft virtualisation manager and he said was a known bug in BIOS of D531.
     08:39:56        Richard Mason  There are several forums on internet confirming that a LOT of people have this issue
     08:40:21        Richard Mason  Just need to know when BIOS patch will be issued
     08:41:13        Bryan_Espiritu  There are systems that are not compatible with new Windows.
     08:41:22        Bryan_Espiritu  Older system are not designed for Windows 7
     08:42:23        Richard Mason  Are Dell going to fix compatability issue?
     08:43:07        Bryan_Espiritu  Any update on the bios is not for Windows 7 since this Windows 7 is for newer systems.
     08:43:17        Bryan_Espiritu  But you may try to update bios and see if it improves performance.
     08:43:48        Richard Mason  I need to escalte this issue how to I do this?
     08:44:32        Bryan_Espiritu  You can escalate it here and I will just forward the issue to involved.
     08:45:45        Richard Mason  I have reported a very specific issue that has been confirmed by Microsoft. All I need is official Dell issue number and answer yes or no if going to get fixed. Please can I speak to someone that can give me the answer
     08:46:12        Bryan_Espiritu  I can connect you with my supervisor.
     08:46:19        Richard Mason  Thanks
     08:47:32        Bryan_Espiritu  Thank you for waiting
     08:47:52        Bryan_Espiritu  My supervisor recommend that you contact Presto team for assistance with this issue.
     08:48:11        Richard Mason  I am not prepared to pay for support
     08:48:18        Bryan_Espiritu  They may find something like a workaround.
     08:48:23        Bryan_Espiritu  The number to call is 0844 444 3600 .
     08:49:25        Richard Mason  Do you have any way of contacting the Dell team responsible for BIOS updates?
     08:49:34        Bryan_Espiritu  They are available 8:00AM – 8:00PM GMT
     08:49:39        Bryan_Espiritu  No we do not have one.
     08:51:14        Richard Mason  Windows 7 is launched very soon and I suspect that many more people will start calling with this same issue. Are you interested in sorting out this issue so you do not get flooded with calls?
     08:52:02        Bryan_Espiritu  The problem with older system is, they do not work with ACHI setting in the bios.
     08:52:12        Bryan_Espiritu  They only work well in ATA mode.
     08:52:28        Bryan_Espiritu  But windows 7 will use AHCI
     08:52:53        Bryan_Espiritu  This is not changeable as it is a design on the motherboard and not a bios software that is upgrade able. 
     08:55:29        Bryan_Espiritu  That's the reason why systems purchased in June 2009 are the ones eligible for Windows 7 upgrade. 
     08:55:59        Bryan_Espiritu  Basically, Dell systems purchased from June 2009 and beyond are the ones eligible for Windows 7 upgrade.
     08:56:22        Bryan_Espiritu  While older systems which has capability for Windows 7 can upgrade, Dell do not assist in upgrading them.
     08:56:30        Richard Mason  So this is the official line from Dell?
     08:57:16        Bryan_Espiritu  That's been our policy eversince. Which ever Windows is on your contract when you purchase the computer, is the one we will support.
     08:57:30        Richard Mason  OK - thanks for your help
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:04 AM
  • This issue is not limited to Windows 7 - the issue is very apparent in Windows XP and Windows Vista...the OS in fact makes no difference...this is the ability for HW Asst. to be used with Microsoft Virtualisation products (Virtual Server 2005 and Virtual PC)

As agreed with Dell, from your dialog, they have admitted an issue but are using the fact the issue has been raised on Windows 7 as their get out.

Richard, would you contact Dell via your current logged call and inform them that the issue can be created using Windows Vista, the OS supplied with the laptop.

What a farce - and the worst thing, no updates given on the Dell site...I'm starting to wonder where Dell prides itself on Customer Service, I'm almost tempted to log a call via Presto...if it's a genuine bug we shouldn't have to pay - just like with MS support
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:22 AM
  • I have tested PC 2007 on Windows XP and get the same crash - will get onto Dell again.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I have tested PC 2007 on Windows XP and get the same crash - will get onto Dell again.

Let us know where you get with this, I was thinking about loading Vista back on my system (which was what it was purchasd with) so I can avoid the OS support issue they keep bringing up. The interesting thing is IF the other tech you spoke to was right (and ATA vs AHCI issue), there may not be anything they can do.

Keeps those fingers crossed folks.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:07 PM
  • This is an automated email sent from Dell Chat. The following information is a log of your session. Please save the log for your records.
    Your session ID for this incident is 1791977.
    Time Details
    10/21/2009 10:21:59PM Session Started with Agent (Novilaine_Blanco)
    10/21/2009 10:21:59PM Craig: "Dell D531 BIOS A08 problem with hardware virtualisation"
    10/21/2009 10:22:02PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Thank you for contacting Dell Chat, my name is Novi and I am pleased to meet you. I just need to take a few details, first of all, may I have your full name and phone number please?"
    10/21/2009 10:22:17PM Craig: "Craig Whelan; XXXXX XXX XXX"
    10/21/2009 10:22:43PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Hi, Craig. I understand that you need assistance with hardware virtualization. Can you confirm if the system you need help with is a Latitude D531 with the service tag HXXXXXJ, correct?"
    10/21/2009 10:22:52PM Craig: "correct"
    10/21/2009 10:23:02PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Okay. After this chat session, you will receive a copy of our chat transcript through e-mail which may include a customer satisfaction survey. Is it okay if we use the e-mail address craig@XXXX.co.uk for this?"
    10/21/2009 10:23:11PM Craig: "perfect"
    10/21/2009 10:23:33PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "All right. Looking at your records, your phone and hardware warranty already expired last May 31, 2009. Just to set your expectations right, I can still proceed in troubleshooting the issue so we can check what's causing the issue."
    10/21/2009 10:23:38PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "However, in case we need to replace a hardware part, I can request an out of warranty replacement for you but this will be billable. Let's continue troubleshooting this issue, shall we?"
    10/21/2009 10:23:59PM Craig: "that's fine - the hardware is fully functional - the issue is with the BIOS"
    10/21/2009 10:24:35PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "All right. Can you tell me more about your issue please?"
    10/21/2009 10:25:33PM Craig: "certainly, when using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 or Virtual PC and turning on Hardware Virtualisation in the BIOS and enabling this function in the software, running a virtual machine causes the machine to completely reboot"
    10/21/2009 10:25:50PM Craig: "This issue has been well documented online and so far has had very poor response from Dell"
    10/21/2009 10:25:52PM Craig: "http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/85d3ca80-7729-43b5-82f1-c29f6f05f0a1"
    10/21/2009 10:26:20PM Craig: "the issue is recognised by Dell are shirking responsibility based on the host OS the case has been logged with"
    10/21/2009 10:26:32PM Craig: "however, I have experience of this issue with XP, Vista and Windows 7"
    10/21/2009 10:26:36PM Craig: "32 and 64 bit"
    10/21/2009 10:26:53PM Craig: "with Virtual Server 2005 (at varying SP levels) and Virtual PC (varying versions)"
    10/21/2009 10:27:37PM Craig: "the Turion chipset is known to be compatible with HW Assistance...and Dell obviously support this feature with their BIOS...but unfortunately the function is inhererently non-functioning"
    10/21/2009 10:27:58PM Craig: "i have now come to you to log a call to get this issue resolved for the wider community experiencing this issue"
    10/21/2009 10:28:50PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "I appreciate the information you have shared."
    10/21/2009 10:29:03PM Craig: "glad it can be of use"
    10/21/2009 10:29:38PM Craig: "just hope the issue can be resolved satisfactorily"
    10/21/2009 10:29:52PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "I understand. Could you give me 2-3 minutes so I can check on this for you?"
    10/21/2009 10:30:00PM Craig: "certainly"
    10/21/2009 10:30:29PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Thank you."
    10/21/2009 10:33:35PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Thanks for holding. I need another 2-3 minutes of your time. Is that okay with you?"
    10/21/2009 10:33:49PM Craig: "take all the time you need"
    10/21/2009 10:33:55PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "I'll be right back. Thanks."
    10/21/2009 10:39:56PM Craig: "novil, just checkin if this sessions is active, looks like Internet Explorer is just about to crash on me..."
    10/21/2009 10:40:20PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Yes, the session is still active and I'm still here."
    10/21/2009 10:40:28PM Craig: "super - thanks"
    10/21/2009 10:46:56PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Thanks for waiting. With regard to this issue, there's no BIOS update as of this time for the Latitude D531. I will try to escalate this to our Product Group and check if there will be any updates specifically for a possible fix with the issue that you've"
      raised. Then I will send you a follow up e-mail with the reply from our Product Group.
    10/21/2009 10:47:09PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "I'll keep you posted through e-mail by then."
    10/21/2009 10:47:29PM Craig: "thank you"
    10/21/2009 10:47:54PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "You're most welcome. Please wait for a moment as I generate the case number for this interaction. Thank you."
    10/21/2009 10:48:14PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "While I process this for you, is there anything else I can help you with at this time?"
    10/21/2009 10:48:38PM Craig: "no it's just this issue - other than that the laptop is a perfect work tool"
    10/21/2009 10:49:55PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "That's great to know."
    10/21/2009 10:50:06PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Craig, your case number for this issue is 646666055. Use this number if you need to contact us back for the same case/issue only."
    10/21/2009 10:50:15PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "You are encouraged to visit Dell Live Chat Support for further assistance."
    10/21/2009 10:50:15PM Craig: "thank you"
    10/21/2009 10:50:21PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "No problem."
    10/21/2009 10:50:24PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Thank you for choosing Dell, once again my name is Novi. Have a great evening!"
    10/21/2009 10:50:26PM Craig: "certainly will - most useful!"
    10/21/2009 10:50:41PM Session Ended
    If you require further assistance, please visit us at support.euro.dell.com
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Looks like we're not the only ones, D530 maybe affected too

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/869fa825-b1fa-42e7-82ad-d1d7833c7f47

(linked updated)
    • Edited by Craig M Whelan Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:31 PM link updated
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:59 AM
  • Looks like we're not the only ones, D530 maybe affected too

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/8d578e5e-8328-43a8-9780-02f1e191fc5c

Craig, check that link... I don't think it's the right one, there is no ref to a D530 or this issue in that forum.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:47 PM
  • This is an automated email sent from Dell Chat. The following information is a log of your session. Please save the log for your records.
    Your session ID for this incident is 1794803.
    Time Details
    10/22/2009 08:29:23PM Session Started with Agent (Novilaine_Blanco)
    10/22/2009 08:29:23PM Craig: "Would like an update on Case Ref 646666055"
    10/22/2009 08:29:26PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Thank you for contacting Dell Chat, my name is Novi and I am pleased to meet you."
    10/22/2009 08:29:50PM Craig: "Hi Novil, we spoke last night...I would like to update my case and see if anything has changed today"
    10/22/2009 08:30:24PM Craig: "I would like to inform Dell that it looks like people with the D530 are also experiencing problems with HWA"
    10/22/2009 08:30:25PM Craig: "http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/869fa825-b1fa-42e7-82ad-d1d7833c7f47"
    10/22/2009 08:31:15PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "I see. Thanks for sending the link."
    10/22/2009 08:31:41PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Please be assured that your issue has already been escalated and we're still waiting for any feedback/updates regarding your issue."
    10/22/2009 08:32:01PM Craig: "that's great to hear - thank you"
    10/22/2009 08:32:15PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Once we have the update, I'll be sending an e-mail to you immediately."
    10/22/2009 08:32:32PM Craig: "brilliant"
    10/22/2009 08:32:34PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with at this time, Craig?"
    10/22/2009 08:33:13PM Craig: "that's fine - just thought the update might help in fault finding - there maybe a common coding issue in the BIOS between the D530 and D531 :) thanks again for your time"
    10/22/2009 08:33:25PM Craig: "hope to hear from dell very soon - have a good evening"
    10/22/2009 08:33:27PM Session Ended

Quite coincidently - got the same agent as last night

Just had a look at the downloads for the D530...also BIOS A08, dated 17th December 2008
    • Edited by Craig M Whelan Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:39 PM more info
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:37 PM
  • For the recored, I've just tried with the following

D531 BIOS A02
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Virtual Server 2005 x64 Enterprise Edition R2 SP1

HWA enabled, reboot the machine within seconds of booting a ready made VHD from Microsoft

Pants.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:52 PM
  • thought i'd seen something posted on an amd forum somewhere previously

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=33&threadid=96254
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Tried the AMD patch, no look.

I used the Dell complaints procedure about two days ago, did not even get an email back to acknowledge receipt.

Coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to pay to start a software call.

Will do a new post as soon as I have made any progress.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:12 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue on a Dell Inspiron 1526 (AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 @ 2.00 GHz).  RUnning WIndows7 Ultimate 64bit.

Same problem, same processor.  Same bug?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:53 PM
  • I have the same setup with the same problem. Dell Inspiron 1526 (AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 @ 2.00 GHz).  Running Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:58 AM
  • I have had some more correspondance with Dell since making a compliant and have probably gone backwards. Now in conversation with someone that does not even know what BIOS is.

Have given up and ordered a new laptop with an INTEL processor.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Not a Dell I hope?! They have been disgusting the way we've all been treated
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Dear Craig Whelan,

Dell Case Number Reference

This is Novi and thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support regarding your Dell system with Service Tag:
    HXXXXXJ.

I want to make sure we can address your issue about Virtualization.

I have escalated this to our Product group and this is what they have to say:

Virtualization issues are well known and not necessarily specific to Dell. In fact there is a possibility that this will be fixed through a patch and not a Bios update. However, that is all under investigation. There is an issue opened up with MS on this and our OS team is working it. No ETA.

The issue is being worked and that although we don’t have an ETA, MS has been engaged and hopefully we will have and update soon.

For reference, here is a link of what platforms we are supporting for Win 7.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=6F51B0F5C8A804CFE040AE0AB8E164A6&doclang=en&cs=

For further assistance, you can reply back to this email. You may also go to
    http://support.euro.dell.com/chat and ask to be reconnected back to me.

Should you need any help with your Dell system in the future, please feel free to contact us back at
    Dell Chat. If you wish to call us by phone, dial : 0844 338 1200 (UK), 1850 543 543 (Ireland), or 011-709-7710 / 0860 103 017 (South Africa).

Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. If you are not completely satisfied with the service provided, please contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Novilaine Blanco     
      Dell Technical Support
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I replied to the email originating for that email I got...and also CC'd the Sales Support Team contact I bought my laptop via

==EMAIL START==
    To confirm - this problem IS NOT limited to Windows 7 and has been an issue since Windows XP, can easily be recreated on Vista and is obviously apparent on Windows 7...and increasingly so due to the virtualisation technologies now being used in Windows 7

And also again to iterate - the issue can be created on 32 and 64 bit OS's - also comments on the Microsoft forum (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/85d3ca80-7729-43b5-82f1-c29f6f05f0a1?prof=required) do indicate this isn't limited to the D531 but is also an issue with D530 and Inspiron 1526

Please ensure these comments are added to the case notes and forwarded to the teams involved in troubleshooting this.

As you can also see from the comments on the forum - people have chosen to start buying new laptops based on the fault with the virtualisation capabilities in the BIOS issued by Dell

Thanks
    ==EMAIL END==
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Also, just noticed, Dell say the Latitude D530 AND Inspiron 1526  *ARE* compatible with Windows 7!!!

Obviously not!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:05 PM
    Your session ID for this incident is 1808934.
    Time Details
    10/28/2009 10:55:34PM Session Started with Agent (Jonathan_Fragata)
    10/28/2009 10:55:34PM Craig: "I would like an update on Case Ref 646666055 please"
    10/28/2009 10:55:43PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware Warranty Chat Support! My name is Jonathan."
    10/28/2009 10:55:49PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "Let me check on that case number."
    10/28/2009 10:56:56PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "I can see that you were discussing this matter with Novilaine_Blanco, right?"
    10/28/2009 10:57:06PM Craig: "correct"
    10/28/2009 10:57:52PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "She is available to continue assisting you right now. Would you like to be reconnected to the same agent so that there is no need to repeat the previous information that you have discussed?"
    10/28/2009 10:59:10PM Craig: "i don't mind - the notes you have should be enough for anyone to pick up the call...i just wondered what the dell bios development team were doing...and what the status was with microsoft regarding the call logged with them from dell"
    10/28/2009 11:00:14PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "Regarding this matter and so as not to track the previous discussion that you had with Novilaine, let me have this session be forwarded to her."
    10/28/2009 11:00:30PM Craig: "ok"
    10/28/2009 11:01:04PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "Please hold on as I make the transfer."
    10/28/2009 11:01:08PM Agent (Jonathan_Fragata): "Here it goes.."
    10/28/2009 11:01:33PM Session Transferred to Agent (Novilaine_Blanco)
    10/28/2009 11:01:42PM Session Started with Agent (Novilaine_Blanco)
    10/28/2009 11:01:42PM Craig: "I would like an update on Case Ref 646666055 please"
    10/28/2009 11:01:52PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Hello, this is Novi again from Dell Chat Support and I'm glad to have you back, Craig."
    10/28/2009 11:01:54PM Craig: "good evening Novilaine"
    10/28/2009 11:02:10PM Craig: "i just wondered if anything had changed with regard to my case"
    10/28/2009 11:03:03PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "I understand your concern. However, there hasn't been any change from the last e-mail that I've sent. Same information was given regarding this matter."
    10/28/2009 11:04:57PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Is there anything else I can help you with at this time?"
    10/28/2009 11:05:17PM Craig: "ok, i am aware many other people have logged calls with dell regarding this matter and not a lot is happening on the face of it...some people are getting very different responses from dell technical support...however, i realise troubleshooting such an iss"
      ue can be time consuming but as this is an easily repeatable error i would hope dell would be able to come up with a soluition rather quick
    10/28/2009 11:06:14PM Craig: "i have taken it upon myself to do a little research with regard to consumer law in the uk and i have a feeling that my laptop, the dell d531 could come under 'not fit for purpose' - as it's sold as having the capability of performing hardware assisted vir"
      tualisation
    10/28/2009 11:07:22PM Craig: "in this respect, i have been able to prove to dell that the issue exists, as the item was sold to me...within the 6 year time frame uk law specifies...and to this end i think i may be requiring to contact the sales team for a refund for a replacement that"
      can satisfy the original specification and capbilities offered by the d531
    10/28/2009 11:09:07PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "If that's the case, I recommend that you contact our Customer Service. Let me get the contact number that you can call."
    10/28/2009 11:09:44PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Please call them at 0844 444 4712, they're available from 9am - 6pm Monday - Friday."
    10/28/2009 11:09:54PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "Do you have any other questions that I can address?"
    10/28/2009 11:09:57PM Craig: "super - many thank novilaine"
    10/28/2009 11:10:27PM Craig: "no that is fine, please keep this case open though, i'd like to see if dell manage to actually fix the issue as it seems to be affecting many people"
    10/28/2009 11:10:46PM Agent (Novilaine_Blanco): "No problem. Thank you for choosing Dell, once again my name is Novi. Have a great evening!"
    10/28/2009 11:10:54PM Session Ended
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:17 PM
    Your session ID for this incident is 1808936.
    Time Details
    10/28/2009 11:13:18PM Session Started with Agent (Kimberly_Bangit)
    10/28/2009 11:13:18PM Craig: "i hadn't quite finished talking to novilaine"
    10/28/2009 11:13:26PM Agent (Kimberly_Bangit): "Thank you for contacting Dell Chat you're through to Kimberly."
    10/28/2009 11:13:58PM Craig: "hi kimberly - i was just chatting to novilaine and the session was ended abruptly"
    10/28/2009 11:14:02PM Agent (Kimberly_Bangit): "I can see you are being assisted by another technician with your case number 646666055."
    10/28/2009 11:14:23PM Agent (Kimberly_Bangit): "The agent is available to continue assisting you right now. Would you like me to continue assisting you, or would you prefer to be connected back to the previous technician so you can continue from where you left off?"
    10/28/2009 11:15:28PM Craig: "i would like to ensure that case stays open - dell quote that windows 7 is fully compatible with inspiron 1526 and lat d530...however the issue presented in this case ref is very much apparent on these machines...please ensure this case is not closed and"
      is escalated as much as possible
    10/28/2009 11:15:52PM Agent (Kimberly_Bangit): "I see. I will inform the previous agent about it."
    10/28/2009 11:15:58PM Craig: "many thanks"
    10/28/2009 11:16:14PM Session Ended
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Is it only Dells with AMD CPUs? 
    I have a Latitude e6500 with Intel and have no problems with WinVPC.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I think it's safe to assume that it is only Dell laptops using the AMD Turion CPU...and as it spans models and entire product lines...I would say this is down to Dell BIOS engineering
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Spoke to a 'manager' in the technical support team, Manus, who was trying to inform me that because my system is out of warranty i can't be helped.

I had to inform him my system is fine, the hardware is fine, the warranty isn't an issue and that this doesn't just cover my laptop...I made a point that other people experiencing this issue may have warranty

So...apparently I'll receive a call today from a 'Customer Relations' manager...I was told it might take a week for someone to get back to me, I said this was unacceptable as I'd already been waiting a week and the issue has been logged for months by other people without success

I also said that I didn't want a refund, I'd rather Dell fix the issue, I also said that if I had to buy another laptop it wouldn't be a Dell...and would actually cost me about £200 more than the original price I paid for my laptop to get something of a similar spec by todays standard

Absolutely a nightmare
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Had a call from Manus, the Product Support Group have come back ... a BIOS has been sent to me to test!!!!

I will be able to test this from about 19:00 GMT - I'll keep you all posted
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Tried BIOS, no luck, still crashes host OS

"Manas" says that this BIOS fixed the issue with other who have experienced the problem...so there's admission not from the fact the BIOS was sent, but also the fact others have been given it to fix the same problem.

Also noted the BIOS has a creation date of 12th May 2009!

Will post back when I get more
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:26 PM
  • After you flashed the BIOS, did you try pulling the battery and AC to complete "reset" the BIOS?
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:20 PM
  • That wasn't advised - can't really see how that would help to be honest?
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:31 PM
  • I have finally given up on WXP Mode for THIS laptop.  :-((
    Created a WXPsp3-x86 Guest in VMware Workstation 6.5.3.
    Installed and tested my 16bit app.
    Installed VMware Player 2.5.3 (x86) on my laptop.

The x86 Guest and its 16bit app runs fine in VMware Player.
    But of course, the VMware Player is a 32bit app itself, so no problem with my laptop.

I would definitely like to try WXP Mode.
    Perhaps Microsoft would have been better off using a 32bit version of Virtual PC.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Has anyone tried Virtual PC_x86 on Windows 7_x64?

It may give the same result as with my experience with VMware Player above.

If in fact Virtual PC_x86 gives the same result as _x64,
     then I would revise my statement in my previous posting to
    ... "Perhaps Microsoft would have been better off not requiring Virtual PC to make use of the hardware Virtualization chip for WXP Mode."
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:06 AM
  • In some BIOSes, you need to do this in order for the BIOS to 'release' the settings for VT and reload them. 
    Its helped others here and on other forums.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Windows XP Mode is just a VM, nothing more.  If you have Windows 7 Pro, Ult, or Ent, you can use it with any virtualization software, not just Windows Virtual PC.
    You will just need to set up the VM yourself in your VM software.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Dell have gone very quiet on me...and I honestly don't believe this is a software (Microsoft) issue...although it's only their products affects onto these machines (AFAIK)

I have a AMD AM3 chip in a desktop unit which runs just fine...what ever Dell have done with the coding on the BIOS used on there Turion units is awful...a real shame

I'm not sure how far I can get with Dell...I honestly thought I was getting somewhere...even after the person on the phone in Customer Services said they were the highest point of escalation...

I've just had a little idea...which I'll come back to you on the results of...but for now my D531 with 4G of RAM is nothing better than a web browsing / email / terminal services client machine again ....not happy
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Hi!

It's definite a problem of the dell BIOS and/or the hardware!

If you install ubuntu and use virtualbox or kvm the system crashs with a kernel panic (bluescreen under Linux).
    Same with windows 7 and windows xp: If you use Virtualbox with both OSs -> Hard Reboot.
    With Windows 7 and XP mode: Bluescreen

I hope that many users use the XP Mode so there are many requests to dell to make a new BIOS version that fix this!! ;-)

Greetings
    Friday, November 20, 2009 2:56 PM
  • I have the same setup with the same problem. Dell Inspiron 1526 (AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 @ 2.00 GHz).  Running Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    I'll chime in here. I'm a Fedora Linux user, and I've had virtualisation problems with my Inspiron 1721 (also a Turion64) since I bought it; while VMware products generally worked well across the board, VirtualBox and KVM have always exhibited either a "spontaneous reboot" like everyone here has mentioned (with KVM), or a hard lockup of the system (with VirtualBox), unless I disable AMD-V.

This isn't just a Windows 7 problem.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Hi!

It's definite a problem of the dell BIOS and/or the hardware!

If you install ubuntu and use virtualbox or kvm the system crashs with a kernel panic (bluescreen under Linux).
    Same with windows 7 and windows xp: If you use Virtualbox with both OSs -> Hard Reboot.
    With Windows 7 and XP mode: Bluescreen

I hope that many users use the XP Mode so there are many requests to dell to make a new BIOS version that fix this!! ;-)

Greetings
    Same problem here on an Inspiron 1721, on Fedora. Both VirtualBox and KVM result in either a panic and hard lockup, or a spontaneous reboot, unless AMD-V is disabled.

Interestingly, VMware Server works just fine. I can only assume they're avoiding the use of AMD-V.
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Barnacle Saturday, June 09, 2012 2:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Gary Barnacle Saturday, June 09, 2012 2:27 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Had a response from Dell (after emailing the technical contact, the original sales contact, his manager and also the general sales email address)

Sorry for getting back to you on this late. I am still working with our
    Product Group on this issue to find if there is something else we can
    try for this problem. Please give me some more time as usually the BIOS
    update I sent earlier fixes this kind of issues. I'll update you as soon
    as I get an update from product group.

Regards,
    Manas
    I'm not sure if Dell bother to check this forum but it's certainly becoming a good place to locate people with the same issue...just wondering if there's a better way to consolodate details of those experiencing the issue (contact details / products affected / OS/App tested)

Thanks to MS for not deleting this thread!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:04 PM
  • @Craig M Whelan

Any news from Dell?

We use here near 100 Dell D531 Notebooks in Business.
    I'm very happy, that most users don't need virtualization..

NOW we use Windows XP --- but if we want to use Windows 7 we need the Windows XP-Mode!!!

Monday, November 30, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Sorry to sound so excited about this - but you are in the PERFECT position to escalate this call

The last I had from Dell was what I posted the other day from an email 2009-11-23

If you have an estate that size, I'm assuming you have a dedicated Dell Account Manager? If so - definitely call him/her and feel free to hi-jack my reference number to escalate

Monday, November 30, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Right, so after about a month with no word from Dell, I requested an update... nothing... I'm going to try the customer service, account rep route and see if that gets me anywhere
    Friday, December 04, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I had a new BIOS posted to me this afternoon, so I'll check that out over the weekend and report back...I fired it up this evening and it didn't crash, so that's something...I'm just hoping they haven't turned it off and left the marker to 'On' trying to trick me ;)

Have to see if I can benchmark it with and without AMD-V being turned on...anyone got any tools for this at all?

It might be an early Christmas present from Dell!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:32 PM
  • I've just put a new XP VM together and I'm impressed - the BIOS I've got actually does work...and I'm impressed with the responsiveness of the Virtual Machine

I've asked Dell if they are going to do any further work on it, if there's any further testing required and when it'll make an official release?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Hi, Craig,

Sorry for bothering you, but I'm suffering that for months, and the only Virtualization I got working is VMWare Workstation 6.5, and it's depressively slow, probably because it's not using CPU Virtualization.

Are you able to provide that BIOS? Do you know if that update is cumulative? I mean, I'm on A02 version. Am I supposed to go one by one?

By the way, my OS is Fedora 12 x86 and I've tried KVM and Virtual Box 3.1 with that annoying clueless reboot.

Thanks a lot!
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:52 PM
  • I've heard nothing back from Dell today with regard to official release dates etc or any other development required

I will look to find somewhere to host the BIOS - IT IS PROVIDED AS IS; WAS GIVEN TO ME DIRCT FROM DELL; COMES WITH !! NO !! WARRANTY AT ALL - IF YOUR WHOLE WORLD COLAPSES - NOT MINE OR DELL OR MICROSOFTs PROBLEM

BIOSs are no cumulative - install this one on top of any others; you can downgrade and move about between BIOSs as you see fit.

Would be interesting to see how this helps those on VMWare

Any suggestions on hosting sites?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Craig - I'd love the contact details for whoever you have been working with at Dell.  I'm one of the many Inspiron 1526 owners having the same issue and I want to make certain that the BIOS fix gets ported over to the 1526 too.

Thanks for your great persistance.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Hi, Craig,

I don't know for sure, but maybe you could try SkyDrive from Microsoft. Probably it's possible to share files there. But, I'm just not aware of what are the restrictions imposed by Microsoft for hosting files like that.

And, of corse, I won't blame nobody if something goes badly wrong, except myself for being so impacient. Don't worry. 

Best regards.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:47 PM
  • The following should help a few of you out!

http://cid-27a03b788fec685f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public

The password is dell

As I say, any problems - there's no support on offer from anyone and I'm sure Dell would be even more difficult to get assistance from than they have been regarding this actual problem!

Happy Christmas!
    • Proposed as answer by Craig M Whelan Friday, January 01, 2010 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Hello Craig,

Glad I stumbled upon the blog!  I have a few d531's myself plus over 40 in use at the company where I work.  The XP Virtual PC feature in Win7x64 was thought to be a major step in making the transition from XP x86.  There are still several apps that we use that may not ever be compatible with x64 OS such as the Cisco VPN client, legacy printer drivers, etc.  I don't know why the manufacturers and software folks still seem to think that companys' and consumers' budgets are without limits as in the example here with the D531 being sold as new up until a year ago.

I was able to install Win7x64 with no issues other than needing to install the Vista video driver which seems to work fine.  When I installed the Virtual PC with XP Mode it blue screened as soon as I tried to start up the VM....rebooted and tried again and it froze the pc a few times....then started searching if this was an issue and was becoming less hopeful the more I read....Installed the T12 bios you posted and everything seems to be working just fine.

Thank you so much for your persistence in finding a solution.  I can now begin to test Win7x64 with a few users on various model laptops in our inventory.

Respectfully,

Paul B
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Glad I could be of help - this whole issue has been a real mare as you can see from the thread

For information; I am a 3rd / 4th Line 'Engineer' / Consultant - if anyone in the UK would like to contact me regarding fixed term contracts involving Windows 2003 / 2008; SMS / SCCM and other associated software disciplines - please get in touch

Upon enquiry I will provide further details on my skillset and knowledge and can provide references on request also

I'll mark this thread as answered - thanks to everyone for all the information provided - it's all be key to getting this issue sorted by Dell...again thanks to Microsoft for hosting the thread!

Also, I haven't forgotten those of you NOT using the D531, I am still in contact with Dell regarding this and will update when I get some knowledge from them on a fix or need to pass details for a BIOS to test

Thanks!
    • Edited by Craig M Whelan Friday, January 01, 2010 8:53 PM additional text
    Friday, January 01, 2010 8:48 PM

The password is dell

As I say, any problems - there's no support on offer from anyone and I'm sure Dell would be even more difficult to get assistance from than they have been regarding this actual problem!

Happy Christmas!

wow.. I'm speakless... it works....
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:33 AM

Happy Christmas!

Happy  Christmas, Craig. And Thank a lot to you. It`s work perfectly.
    I`ve problem on all release of Windows 7(beta, rc, rtm). Now XP Mode work.
    Thanks-thanks :-)
    С уважением, Максимов Сергей.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hi, All,

And thanks a lot, Craig!

I was using VMWare Workstation 6.5 on Fedora 12 x86 with a terrible/horrible performance. Now it's working perfectly and fast as a "shinkansen"!

Best regards.

Ricardo Maeda.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hey!

I'm experiencing the same problem with XP mode on my Dell Latitude D631 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Can this fix for D531 be compatible with D631? 

Thanks for helping,
    Lidia
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Highly unlikely but it's worth checking the Dell website and seeing what BIOS's have been released for both models - I'll take a quick look this week (I'm away on training at the moment so have limited time/internet access)

Definitely worth contacting Dell as you're machine is almost definitely still going to be under warranty which seemed to be a big sticking point when I was fighting with Dell over this

Certainly contact the person who you bought the laptop through, be it PC World / Dell Direct / Dell Business etc...
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hello All,

May have found a snag with the T12 BIOS for D531...I have now been prompted for Windows Activation...Looks as though SLIC 2.1 (required for OEM pre-activation) is not contained in the T12 Bios.  If anyone knows the steps to mod the bios with the SLIC 2.1 code, I think this would then be a complete solution for installing Dell OEM Windows 7 on D531.  Thanks.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Just confirmed with 'RW Everything' that Dell A08 and the T12 Bios are SLIC 2.0.  I have been reading that if the bios is already at SLIC 2.0 it CAN be modified to 2.1....the steps to do so correctly at the present time are not clear.  If anyone has an 'Update your Dell Bios to SLIC 2.1 for Dummies' tutorial it would be immnsely appreciated.  Thx.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Found the 'Phoenix Tool' for modifying dell bios....researching a bit more I may stumble on the solution....of course if anyone already knows the correct process, no need to re-invent the wheel.  thx.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Figured it out- modified both the A08 and the T12 Bios with SLIC 2.1 code and Windows successfully activated.  Tested both and A08 still blue-screens when trying to start up the xpmode VM.  The modified T12 Bios fixes both the VM issue and OEM Pre-activation.  I will post the basics for anyone interested.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Paul

Please post full detail if you would be so kind...I have Win7 and haven't had any problems regarding activation - the installation was activated during use of A08 and hasn't complained since I put T12 on

My next problems is with iTunes x64 and support for the iPhone on Win7 x64
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:06 PM
  • If you used the OEM Dell Windows 7 disk to install on the D531, D820, or even D830 and did not purchase Windows 7 from Dell or Microsoft then I am pretty sure it will be a problem soon.  I believe the first models to be shipped with SLIC 2.1 are the E5XXX and E6XXX series Latitudes (not sure about Inspirons and other non-business lines)

So to summarize:

*What media was used to install Windows 7 and if you need to utilize the OEM pre-activation feature.  if, like most of us, over the years have been able to install Windows 98, ME, 2k, and XP on almost any Dell machine desired using Dell OEM OS media and never having a problem with activation....Well with Vista, the min requirment for the BIOS is SLIC 2.0, and for it to continue to work on Windows 7 it must be SLIC 2.1.  So if you purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 this will not be a factor as the product key shipped with the media will work to activate.  It is only the OEM pre-activation that seems to be affected by the SLIC 2.1 upgrade.

Instructions to Modify Phoenix (Dell) Bios with SLIC 2.1 code to support DELL OEM pre-activation for Windows 7 Pro x64 (should be fine for Ultimate as well, but I am only able to test with Pro)

1. Verify the SLIC version in your bios
        * Download 'RW Everything'
        * http://depositfiles.com/en/files/d5sqco4w4 (irritating download site- to get the free download you need to wait until the 60 sec timer finishes)
        * Extract and install RWE
        * Open the program

Will Post more in a bit....

Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Craig- What problem are you having with the iPhone?....I do not have an iPhone but have installed and using iTouch on the D531 with iTunes x64...no issues so far.seems to work normally.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Instructions to Modify Phoenix (Dell) Bios with SLIC 2.1 code to support DELL OEM pre-activation for Windows 7 Pro x64 (should be fine for Ultimate as well, but I am only able to test with Pro)

1. Verify the SLIC version in your bios
        * Download 'RW Everything'
        * http://depositfiles.com/en/files/d5sqco4w4 (irritating download site- to get the free download you need to wait until the 60 sec timer finishes)
        * Extract and install RWE
        * Open the program
        * Click the 'Access' Menu and select 'ACPI Tables'
        * Select the 'SLIC' tab in the ACPI tables window

Here is the the SLIC table from the modified T12 BIOS

Software Licensing Description Table: 0xD7EB809C

53 4C 49 43 76 01 00 00 01 89 44 45 4C 4C 20 20 SLICv.....DELL 
    4D 30 39 20 20 20 20 00 12 0C D9 27 41 53 4C 20 M09    ....'ASL
    61 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 B6 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 a...............
    44 45 4C 4C 20 20 4D 30 39 20 20 20 20 00 57 49 DELL  M09    .WI
    4E 44 4F 57 53 20 01 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 NDOWS ..........
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 6E EF 2F 10 A5 23 ..........n./..#
    4C 3A 45 03 F4 B6 9F CB E6 C8 07 17 97 F7 24 FC L:E...........$.
    EA 12 CD 73 C8 AE 7E E4 2F 7A 65 50 11 53 0D 97 ...s..~./zeP.S..
    58 47 CD 1F F0 27 1E D6 30 CD 0C DB 01 D5 43 24 XG...'..0.....C$
    12 70 CA 24 F4 DF A7 49 B2 98 1D 99 01 3C ED FC .p.$...I.....<..
    13 0D 37 C6 DA 59 05 BF 70 93 78 45 E2 10 5D D7 ..7..Y..p.xE..].
    DA 6F 6A EE 44 BB A4 E1 C5 E3 E9 A8 7D 98 10 14 .oj.D.......}...
    CA C7 3A 36 7F 92 41 AD 6F 36 EB 33 6E C9 75 05 ..:6..A.o6.3n.u.
    21 F5 25 EB E6 71 E5 D3 60 9C 00 00 00 00 9C 00 !.%..q..`.......
    00 00 06 02 00 00 00 24 00 00 52 53 41 31 00 04 .......$..RSA1..
    00 00 01 00 01 00 7F F6 C1 05 BE 5C 57 63 A5 8A ...........\Wc..
    68 F3 6E 8F 06 FA AF B4 9F 68 82 23 EC 50 40 5A h.n......h.#.P@Z
    73 7F EC E4 07 CB DC 25 1A 9C E3 E3 66 11 E0 A5 s......%....f...
    98 06 C5 80 0A FA 42 93 86 98 E7 D5 1B D4 D7 3A ......B........:
    A4 0B EE E2 7D BE 5F 5B 15 0C AB D0 21 DE BF E9 ....}._[....!...
    B5 6E A4 57 B9 8C 0C D2 BA 3A 69 30 76 94 71 A2 .n.W.....:i0v.q.
    64 D7 4C D8 85 BF DF A5 6A C8 DC 45 D5 4D 8C B8 d.L.....j..E.M..
    8C 05 2F FC 2E 23 C4 29 C5 6F 3F 29 6C 6D 57 79 ../..#.).o?)lmWy
    0E B6 75 ED 21 95                               ..u.!.         

Signature "SLIC"
    Length 0x00000176 (374)
    Revision 0x01 (1)
    Checksum 0x89 (137)
    OEM ID "DELL  "
    OEM Table ID "M09    "
    OEM Revision 0x27D90C12 (668535826)
    Creator ID "ASL "
    Creator Revision 0x00000061 (97)
    SLIC Marker Structure
      Type 0x00000001 (1)
      Length 0x000000B6 (182)
      Version 0x00020000 (131072)
      OEM ID "DELL  "
      OEM Table ID "M09    "
      Windows Flag "WINDOWS "
      SLIC Ver 0x00020001 (v2.1)  **This will say (v2.0) in unmodified BIOS A08 or T12**
      Reserved 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
      Signature 0x6E 0xEF 0x2F 0x10 0xA5 0x23 0x4C 0x3A 0x45 0x03 0xF4 0xB6 0x9F 0xCB 0xE6 0xC8
                0x07 0x17 0x97 0xF7 0x24 0xFC 0xEA 0x12 0xCD 0x73 0xC8 0xAE 0x7E 0xE4 0x2F 0x7A
                0x65 0x50 0x11 0x53 0x0D 0x97 0x58 0x47 0xCD 0x1F 0xF0 0x27 0x1E 0xD6 0x30 0xCD
                0x0C 0xDB 0x01 0xD5 0x43 0x24 0x12 0x70 0xCA 0x24 0xF4 0xDF 0xA7 0x49 0xB2 0x98
                0x1D 0x99 0x01 0x3C 0xED 0xFC 0x13 0x0D 0x37 0xC6 0xDA 0x59 0x05 0xBF 0x70 0x93
                0x78 0x45 0xE2 0x10 0x5D 0xD7 0xDA 0x6F 0x6A 0xEE 0x44 0xBB 0xA4 0xE1 0xC5 0xE3
                0xE9 0xA8 0x7D 0x98 0x10 0x14 0xCA 0xC7 0x3A 0x36 0x7F 0x92 0x41 0xAD 0x6F 0x36
                0xEB 0x33 0x6E 0xC9 0x75 0x05 0x21 0xF5 0x25 0xEB 0xE6 0x71 0xE5 0xD3 0x60 0x9C
    OEM Public Key Structure
      Type 0x00000000 (0)
      Length 0x0000009C (156)
      Key Type 0x06 (6)
      Version 0x02 (2)
      Reserved 0x0000 (0)
      Algorithm 0x00002400 (9216)
      Magic "RSA1"
      Bit Length 0x00000400 (1024)
      Exponent 0x00010001 (65537)
      Modulus 0x7F 0xF6 0xC1 0x05 0xBE 0x5C 0x57 0x63 0xA5 0x8A 0x68 0xF3 0x6E 0x8F 0x06 0xFA
              0xAF 0xB4 0x9F 0x68 0x82 0x23 0xEC 0x50 0x40 0x5A 0x73 0x7F 0xEC 0xE4 0x07 0xCB
              0xDC 0x25 0x1A 0x9C 0xE3 0xE3 0x66 0x11 0xE0 0xA5 0x98 0x06 0xC5 0x80 0x0A 0xFA
              0x42 0x93 0x86 0x98 0xE7 0xD5 0x1B 0xD4 0xD7 0x3A 0xA4 0x0B 0xEE 0xE2 0x7D 0xBE
              0x5F 0x5B 0x15 0x0C 0xAB 0xD0 0x21 0xDE 0xBF 0xE9 0xB5 0x6E 0xA4 0x57 0xB9 0x8C
              0x0C 0xD2 0xBA 0x3A 0x69 0x30 0x76 0x94 0x71 0xA2 0x64 0xD7 0x4C 0xD8 0x85 0xBF
              0xDF 0xA5 0x6A 0xC8 0xDC 0x45 0xD5 0x4D 0x8C 0xB8 0x8C 0x05 0x2F 0xFC 0x2E 0x23
              0xC4 0x29 0xC5 0x6F 0x3F 0x29 0x6C 0x6D 0x57 0x79 0x0E 0xB6 0x75 0xED 0x21 0x95

Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:49 PM
  • 2. Download and install Phoenix Bios Tool-  http://slics.myftp.org/Tools/Phoenix_Tool_1.13.rar
        *Extract Phoenix Tool files
        *Download T12 BIOS (or whatever BIOS to be modified)
        *Launch Phoenix Tool by double-clicking 'PhoenixTool.exe'
        *Note 'OEM Table ID' type from SLIC table (M09 in above example- this value will be lower prior to mod)
        *Browse to BIOS file using tool
        *After Selecting the BIOS file with the tool it should report the SLIC Marker Type
         (If you get an error msg that 'HDR file not written', you need to resolve this before proceeding- looks like this may be a write permissions or path length issue- seems to work if bios file is placed on root of C prior to running tool)
        *Browse for 'SLIC Pubkey' file (This is included in the extracted tool files and named 'Dell.pubkey')
        *Browse for 'SLIC Marker' file (Also included in tool files- but there are multiple types...choose the one that matches your OEM Table ID type- E.G.- A08 or T12 type is M08 so choose 'DELL-M09.marker'
         *Press the 'Go' button in the Tool
         *This will create a the modified Bios with SLIC 2.1
         *Flash this new bios to your computer and that is it

**I have also run this on the D820 A09 Bios and it completed successfully.  I am still running XP on this machine so it looks to be backwards compatible...This will certainly save some headache when I do upgrade to Win7x64 ***Also note that there is less information in the SLIC table for the D820 A09 Bios.  The only way to tell the SLIC version is from the hex code in a certain line from the top section of the code.  Hope this helps everyone.  I can see this being a big headache for businesses with imaging and so forth....If Dell has not released a new BIOS with SLIC 2.1 for these 'older' computers by now, it is unlikely that they ever will.  I think their solution in these cases will be to sell you an 'upgrade' with a license key or a full windows 7 license.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:49 PM
  • SLIC Table from D820 A09 Bios (Already modified to SLIC 2.1)

Software Licensing Description Table: 0xBFE8309C

53 4C 49 43 76 01 00 00 01 9E 44 45 4C 4C 20 20 SLICv.....DELL 
    4D 30 39 20 20 20 20 00 04 06 D8 27 41 53 4C 20 M09    ....'ASL
    61 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 9C 00 00 00 06 02 00 00 a...............
    00 24 00 00 52 53 41 31 00 04 00 00 01 00 01 00 .$..RSA1........
    7F F6 C1 05 BE 5C 57 63 A5 8A 68 F3 6E 8F 06 FA .....\Wc..h.n...
    AF B4 9F 68 82 23 EC 50 40 5A 73 7F EC E4 07 CB ...h.#.P@Zs.....
    DC 25 1A 9C E3 E3 66 11 E0 A5 98 06 C5 80 0A FA .%....f.........
    42 93 86 98 E7 D5 1B D4 D7 3A A4 0B EE E2 7D BE B........:....}.
    5F 5B 15 0C AB D0 21 DE BF E9 B5 6E A4 57 B9 8C _[....!....n.W..
    0C D2 BA 3A 69 30 76 94 71 A2 64 D7 4C D8 85 BF ...:i0v.q.d.L...
    DF A5 6A C8 DC 45 D5 4D 8C B8 8C 05 2F FC 2E 23 ..j..E.M..../..#
    C4 29 C5 6F 3F 29 6C 6D 57 79 0E B6 75 ED 21 95 .).o?)lmWy..u.!.
    01 00 00 00 B6 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 44 45 4C 4C ............DELL
    20 20 4D 30 39 20 20 20 20 00 57 49 4E 44 4F 57   M09    .WINDOW
    53 20 01 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 S ..............
    00 00 00 00 00 00 6E EF 2F 10 A5 23 4C 3A 45 03 ......n./..#L:E.
    F4 B6 9F CB E6 C8 07 17 97 F7 24 FC EA 12 CD 73 ..........$....s
    C8 AE 7E E4 2F 7A 65 50 11 53 0D 97 58 47 CD 1F ..~./zeP.S..XG..
    F0 27 1E D6 30 CD 0C DB 01 D5 43 24 12 70 CA 24 .'..0.....C$.p.$
    F4 DF A7 49 B2 98 1D 99 01 3C ED FC 13 0D 37 C6 ...I.....<....7.
    DA 59 05 BF 70 93 78 45 E2 10 5D D7 DA 6F 6A EE .Y..p.xE..]..oj.
    44 BB A4 E1 C5 E3 E9 A8 7D 98 10 14 CA C7 3A 36 D.......}.....:6
    7F 92 41 AD 6F 36 EB 33 6E C9 75 05 21 F5 25 EB ..A.o6.3n.u.!.%.
    E6 71 E5 D3 60 9C                               .q..`.         

Signature "SLIC"
    Length 0x00000176 (374)
    Revision 0x01 (1)
    Checksum 0x9E (158)
    OEM ID "DELL  "
    OEM Table ID "M09    "
    OEM Revision 0x27D80604 (668468740)
    Creator ID "ASL "
    Creator Revision 0x00000061 (97)
    OEM Public Key Structure
      Type 0x00000000 (0)
      Length 0x0000009C (156)
      Key Type 0x06 (6)
      Version 0x02 (2)
      Reserved 0x0000 (0)
      Algorithm 0x00002400 (9216)
      Magic "RSA1"
      Bit Length 0x00000400 (1024)
      Exponent 0x00010001 (65537)
      Modulus 0x7F 0xF6 0xC1 0x05 0xBE 0x5C 0x57 0x63 0xA5 0x8A 0x68 0xF3 0x6E 0x8F 0x06 0xFA
              0xAF 0xB4 0x9F 0x68 0x82 0x23 0xEC 0x50 0x40 0x5A 0x73 0x7F 0xEC 0xE4 0x07 0xCB
              0xDC 0x25 0x1A 0x9C 0xE3 0xE3 0x66 0x11 0xE0 0xA5 0x98 0x06 0xC5 0x80 0x0A 0xFA
              0x42 0x93 0x86 0x98 0xE7 0xD5 0x1B 0xD4 0xD7 0x3A 0xA4 0x0B 0xEE 0xE2 0x7D 0xBE
              0x5F 0x5B 0x15 0x0C 0xAB 0xD0 0x21 0xDE 0xBF 0xE9 0xB5 0x6E 0xA4 0x57 0xB9 0x8C
              0x0C 0xD2 0xBA 0x3A 0x69 0x30 0x76 0x94 0x71 0xA2 0x64 0xD7 0x4C 0xD8 0x85 0xBF
              0xDF 0xA5 0x6A 0xC8 0xDC 0x45 0xD5 0x4D 0x8C 0xB8 0x8C 0x05 0x2F 0xFC 0x2E 0x23
              0xC4 0x29 0xC5 0x6F 0x3F 0x29 0x6C 0x6D 0x57 0x79 0x0E 0xB6 0x75 0xED 0x21 0x95
    SLIC Marker Structure
      Type 0x00000001 (1)
      Length 0x000000B6 (182)
      Version 0x00020000 (131072)
      OEM ID "DELL  "
      OEM Table ID "M09    "
      Windows Flag "WINDOWS "
      Reserved 0x01 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
      Signature 0x6E 0xEF 0x2F 0x10 0xA5 0x23 0x4C 0x3A 0x45 0x03 0xF4 0xB6 0x9F 0xCB 0xE6 0xC8
                0x07 0x17 0x97 0xF7 0x24 0xFC 0xEA 0x12 0xCD 0x73 0xC8 0xAE 0x7E 0xE4 0x2F 0x7A
                0x65 0x50 0x11 0x53 0x0D 0x97 0x58 0x47 0xCD 0x1F 0xF0 0x27 0x1E 0xD6 0x30 0xCD
                0x0C 0xDB 0x01 0xD5 0x43 0x24 0x12 0x70 0xCA 0x24 0xF4 0xDF 0xA7 0x49 0xB2 0x98
                0x1D 0x99 0x01 0x3C 0xED 0xFC 0x13 0x0D 0x37 0xC6 0xDA 0x59 0x05 0xBF 0x70 0x93
                0x78 0x45 0xE2 0x10 0x5D 0xD7 0xDA 0x6F 0x6A 0xEE 0x44 0xBB 0xA4 0xE1 0xC5 0xE3
                0xE9 0xA8 0x7D 0x98 0x10 0x14 0xCA 0xC7 0x3A 0x36 0x7F 0x92 0x41 0xAD 0x6F 0x36
                0xEB 0x33 0x6E 0xC9 0x75 0x05 0x21 0xF5 0x25 0xEB 0xE6 0x71 0xE5 0xD3 0x60 0x9C

the bold italic underlined hex code in the top portion is how you tell the SLIC version.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:02 PM
  • 53 20 01 00 02 00 = ver 2.1
    53 20 00 00 00 00 = ver 2.0
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Well a lot of that is properly over my head! My copy of Win7 Ult is from my TechNet download subscription...so no problems with OEM bundled installations

With regard to my iPhone, I've got the latest version of iTunes x64 (9.0.2.25) and when I plug in my 3GS I get the following error, which I've researched with little success, haven't called Apple about it yet cos tethering isn't a massive priority for me right now

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes"

I'm guessing there might be some modification required to the msi , but as it IS the x64 bit download already, I'm not sure why this would be required

Typical though, I find Apple software is pretty poor on PC, always had little niggles with iTunes and my Touch, bought a Mac Mini in the end, but I'm sure as ____ not getting a MacBook just to get tethering working, I've spent far too long trying to get AMD-V working on this Dell!!!

Think it might be easier in the short term (maybe long term too) to dual boot with a 32bit OS just for tethering use
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Craig-  Have you tried installing itunes x86 on the XP VM?  USB ports and disk drives seem to connect pretty well in the VM....Just a thought...In fact I think I am going to try that on my Son's D531 with Win7 x64...

Cheers,

PB
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:23 PM
  • I know this is definitely off-topic now...but about to try the latest offering from Apple regarding iTunes...9.0.3 was released yesterday and an improvement listed of "Resolves a problem recognizing when iPod is connected."

Will also be loading up an x86 VM Guest to see if tethering will work via an isolated machine, which actually would be rather neat and definitely good from a security perspective

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

Has there been an official BIOS release from DELL to fix the original problem on this forum? I have read through this forum and I can't seem to find a link to one.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 AMD Turion x64 with Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate installed and I am seeing the exact same problems as has been reported here i.e. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/thread/85d3ca80-7729-43b5-82f1-c29f6f05f0a1#f74b271f-f7b6-4f5f-a173-da4d78b8d417

I have upgraded my BIOS from A05 to A07 and the problem still occurs, which is my system does a full reboot, freeze or blue screen when I try to start a Virtual Machine (using VirtualBox or Windows Virtual PC) and Windows 7 or Ubuntu Linux Desktop guest in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode with "VTx/AMD-V" enabled.

Has anyone with a Dell Inspiron 1721 AMD Turion x64 tried the update from Craig M Whelan? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/thread/85d3ca80-7729-43b5-82f1-c29f6f05f0a1?prof=required#d80fbf53-e43b-41f7-b6c4-a92b54281d36

Don't want to mess up my personal machine at this stage.

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:15 PM
  • I just thought randomly I'd check out the Dell website and there has been a BIOS released, 23rd Feb 2010, A09 that fixes, apparently, the AMD-V issue

I haven't yet downloaded it, I will do though and update back...this could be the official release we've all be waiting for - using the test BIOS isn't really a good solution (although it does work!)

I'll get back to you in the next 24 hours

Saturday, May 08, 2010 11:23 PM
  • Dell D531 BIOS A09 works a treat, AMD-V fixed!

Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Has anybody heard anything about a BIOS fix for the Inspiron 1526?  Or can anyone point me at the appropriate person to chase?  One woudl hope that porting the fix to other machines would not be too difficult.
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Nigel

I'm afraid to say the only way of getting this issue sorted is to keep on at Dell via their support channels (phone/email/web chat)

Who knows how many platforms are affected by this AMD-V - just seems like some poor programming by the Dell BIOS Development teams...or maybe even the manufacturer of the boards who are supplying Dell - it's difficult to know how far back these support requests have to go before they hit a team who can actually provide a fix.

I never heard back from the support contact I was using at Dell...and was never notified about the official release, so to be honest Dell still have a long way to come before I would consider this experience a 'good' one

Good luck

Sunday, May 09, 2010 3:10 PM
  • I can confirm the Inspiron 1721 is affected as well. The last BIOS update for it is from 2008 labeled A07. I doubt they'll publish an update for it. I've tried XP Mode with BIOS virtualization enabled and disabled (reboots required for that obviously) and it made no difference. System still crashes hard and reboots during the setup of a Virtual PC regardless of the BIOS setting.

Since Dell hasn't been much help through this whole thing, and I really doubt we'll see any kind of update beyond the D531 machine update (you lucky devils) I would say your stuck with VMware (which, honestly, really isn't that bad and has improved nicely over the years) and apparently your only other option is to purchase new hardware that has full Windows 7 support. And, as much as I hate to say it, don't buy a laptop with an AMD processor from Dell. I like Dell machines, and I personally prefer AMD (all my desktops are AMD) but if the manufacturer is just going to drop all support when they stop making a product model (as opposed to the end of the product warranty/support contracts) then they don't deserve our collective business.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Windows XP mode tends to crash as the default amount of system ram is set at the minimum that xp can work with, you will find that the hard drive is constantly running as xp mode is having to use the virtual swap file, so you need to alocate more ram to windows virtual machine, to do this all you have to do is find the hiden window, it easy to find but, before you do please read the folowing.

So as to be able to use xp mode programs from windows 7, you need to have sufisent ram to share between windows 7 and XP mode, so if you dont want windows 7 to lock up whilst running virtual programs, you need at least 4 GB pref 8 GB of ram, so you need to have x64 bit hardware and windows 7 X64

To find the hidden window start xp mode, and switch to normal window size, and at the top of your window you will see an extra tab called settings, click on the tab and click on memory, you will now see how mutch ram is alocated to xp mode, but you will not be able to chang the setting as xp mode is running, do not close the window, but shut down xp mode using ctrl alt deleat tab at the top of the xp mode window, once xp mode has shut down, you will see the settings window is stil open, and it will now alow you to change the settings, i normaly set this to 1500, i hope this has been some help

Gary g4ilt@hotmail.co.uk

Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Thought I'd jump in here and leave/thoroughly explain (possibly reiterate) a solution if there's anybody searching for this problem. If you are using Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate and want to use Windows XP Mode but it won't finish setup properly, you can try using VMware Player instead.

VMware Player offers an option to import a Windows XP Mode VM. If you google 'vmware import Windows XP mode', you'll get your answer.

Steps:

1. Download & Install...
    2. Windows XP Mode. You don't need Windows Virtual PC. Unless you want the icons.
    3. VMware Player. VMware Workstation will work too. These steps are for Player, but I think they are the same.
    4. VMware vCenter Converter Standalone. Choose Client-Server installation (advanced) during install. Player requires this setting to import, it will complain otherwise. (You may be able to skip installing vCenter Converter if using Workstation)
    5. Open VMware Player.
    6. Click on the "Player" menu at top. Select File > Import Windows XP Mode VM.
    7. Now VMware will import and create a Virtual Machine. I chose to save the VM under C:\Users\Name\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode, since Windows Virtual PC creates this directory too.

Note: If the Windows XP OS's key is not activated after imported into VMware, check the Windows Xp Mode.vmx configuration file, and ensure that an entry called xpmode.enabled has the “True” value, i.e. xpmode.enabled = “TRUE”.

This was done and tested with VMware Player 6.0.1, vCenter Converter 5.5.0, and with Windows 7 Professional x86/x32bit.

Lastly this was tested on a Dell Inspiron 1721 - AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 processor, 2gb of RAM. BIOS, latest version, A07.

1. (Optional) The vCenter Converter may be uninstalled after finishing. :) (but the above installed Windows XP Mode from Microsoft is needed I think)
    2. (Optional) You can create a desktop shortcut that boots straight into XP from the host by creating a shortcut from the '.vmx' file located in where VMware installed your Windows XP machine - just right-click on the .vmx file and click 'Send To > Desktop. (So for me, it would be located again at C:\Users\Name\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode.vmx) You can even change the icon to what Windows Virtual PC uses to mimic it! That icon is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, named 'VMWindow.exe', once Windows Virtual PC is installed.

• Proposed as answer by vingamer234 Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:49 AM
    • Edited by vingamer234 Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:00 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:33 AM