none
The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x88980406)

Question

• I cannot get DWM, and thus Aero, to function any longer on my mostly 7 year old system. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit has been installed since early 2010 and I had not encountered any problems up until about two weeks ago, when I loaded Windows to find that Aero and its ancillary components no longer functioned. I have uninstalled Window Blinds, made registry edits to 'force' Aero, performed clean start-ups, updated the GPU drivers, run the troubleshooter for transparency and Aero effects (it couldn't detect an issue), tried logging on as another user, uninstalled Fast Picture Viewer's Codec Pack, re-run the Windows Experience Index, consulted augers, and otherwise driven myself mad trying to figure out what happened. I refreshed my Windows Experience Index and it returned the same numbers as before the manifestation of this problem - 7.3 for 3D and gaming/business and 7.3 for Aero. I upgraded the video card in 2009 and it hasn't caused any problems, nor is it overclocked. I did accidentally log in to my backup Windows installation on my primary U320 SCSI array instead of my main harddrive, just before this happened, but Aero still works in that install, and it hasn't been used since the 23rd of last September. Unfortunately, I hadn't remembered to set up any recovery or backup options since changing to the new drive, so I couldn't try to 'roll back' to an earlier, known-good configuration. The Fix It program I just downloaded from MicroSoft reports that my video card doesn't support Aero, even though the built-in troubleshooter says it does. The card is an eVGA Nvidia GeForce FX 285 FTW with 1GB RAM. All my programs seem to function normally, except the game Borderlands 2, which will report that it is preparing to load, then start 2 or 3 processes which immediately terminate. I don't know if this game requires Aero in some strange manner, but it is the only potential peripheral symptom I have managed to detect thus far.

In case it helps, my system:

Supermicro H8DC8 motherboard (bios revision C - most recent)

Dual AMD Operton 290 dual core cpu's

8x 1GB Corsair DDR ECC RAM

Adaptec 2020 LP ZCR RAID controller, 256MB cache, set to U320 SCSI RAID

4x 147GB Hitachi Ultrastar 15k rpm U320 SCSI hdd's RAID 10 array "B" D drive

4x 36GB Hitachi Ultrastar 15k rpm U320 SCSI hdd's RAID 10 array "A" (old Windows 7 installation) E drive

2 Western Digital 'Black' hdd's of various size F & G drives

1 OCZ RevoDrive X2 240GB PCI-E 4x (in 8x slot) (current Windows 7 installation) C drive

eVGA GeForce FX 285 FTW 1GB in PCI-E x16 slot 2 (slot 1 is currently blocked by a return coolant line - the original card fit but this one is too big)

M-Audio Delta 192 sound card

CyberPower 1500AVR battery back-up

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:18 AM

Answers

• I have been having this same exact issue and my problem began to occur after I performed a Windows update.  After uninstalling each of them individually I finally came across "Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)".  I found that uninstalling this update also removes Internet Explorer 10, but it also brought back Windows Aero and removed the Desktop Manager errors. To be sure, I reinstalled the updates and again the problem occurred, removed them and everything came back.  Not saying that it's the solution but you can give it a shot.
    • Proposed as answer by kgb3d Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by betelgeuse1984 Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:39 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try to perform a system restore to see how it work. In addition, you can test the issue in Safe Mode.

Also, a thread for your reference:

The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b) - Windows 7 pro

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/the-desktop-window-manager-has-encountered-a-fatal/ae44c9ea-3b52-451d-a371-91ae375ce353

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:46 AM
  • I have been having this same exact issue and my problem began to occur after I performed a Windows update.  After uninstalling each of them individually I finally came across "Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)".  I found that uninstalling this update also removes Internet Explorer 10, but it also brought back Windows Aero and removed the Desktop Manager errors. To be sure, I reinstalled the updates and again the problem occurred, removed them and everything came back.  Not saying that it's the solution but you can give it a shot.
    • Proposed as answer by kgb3d Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by betelgeuse1984 Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:39 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:11 AM
  • Thank you!  I have been battling with the exact same problem, messing about with display drivers and uninstalling .NET frameworks per other suggestions.  THIS solution (uninstall KB2670838) worked for me!  :-)
    • Edited by kgb3d Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:03 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Thanks so much for this information! I tried uninstalling that update and now Aero is back.
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:39 PM