none
Cached logins - Is there a limit?

Question

• Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have a customer who has a small domain.  A number of the users work remotely but login to their laptops with the cached domain credentials.  I have upgraded a couple of the users to Windows 7 Professional x64 workstations and one user has twice hit a problem where he is unable to login.  He gets the message:

"There are currently no logon serverts available to service the logon request"

The first time this happened the user brought his laptop into the office for me to look at the problem, and was immediately able to login.  The same problem has again reared its head but the user is not planning on visiting the office for some time.  If I were to find the answer then I could talk him through changing the setting or login via Remote software and do it as Admin.

My guess is that there is a registry setting that determines the maximum number of cached logins a single user can make before he is locked out.

If this is the case, what is the registry key, and what is the upper limit that it can be amended to?

TIA

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:00 PM

All replies

• Yes, there is a registry setting, and the limit is 50.  It can be set in AD Group Policy, or locally if no AD Group Policy for this setting has been enabled.  (Remember LSDOU).

This can be found at:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\

and the setting you want to configure is "Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache (in case domain controller is unavailable)"

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Friday, July 08, 2011 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Hi Alandean,

I'ts too late if he's offsite and getting this message.  He will have to physically connect his laptop to the network, to read the new policy settings.  Changing the policy settings now when he's offline will not have immediate effect.  They will only have effect next time he successfully logs onto the domain.

Friday, July 08, 2011 5:37 AM