none
Windows 7 and HP Wireless Printer Upgrade Kit

Question

• I have treied to install te Vista driver of HP Wireless Printer Ugrade kit, but @90% of installation the process freeze... and there isn way to install it. Could any one give a solution this.
    thanks in advanced
    JC
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

• Model name and number of printer?

Most network printers can be installed automagically:
    Open the Printers folder.  Click the 'add printer' button at the top.  Dialog box opens, select 'local printer.'
    For the printer port, select 'create a new port', and then 'standard TCP/IP port' in the dropdown menu.
    Enter the IP address of the printer, and Windows 7 will, very often, autoinstall the printer.  If your printer isn't listed (or, Windows doesn't autodetect the printer make & model), then you can (and will be prompted to) manually select the printer model.
    In your case, select 'HP' in the 'manufacturer' column, and your printer model name & number in the 'model' column.
    If your model isn't listed, click the 'Windows update' button, and wait patiently while Windows downloads the printer driver library (it isn't stuck, it's just busy.)  Your printer should then be listed.
    Select printer, and finish the wizard.

(FYI:  local printers, if not auto-detected, can be installed the same way.  Only difference:  select 'LPT1', rather, than 'standard TCP/IP port', at the beginning of the wizard.  The rest of it is the same.)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

This issue occurs if the driver of HP Wireless Printer Ugrade kit is not compatible with Windows 7 beta.

I suggest that you temporary disable anti-virus, set the program to run in Windows Vista compatible mode. Then try to reinstall. If the issue persists, I am afraid that the kit does not work in Windows 7 beta. In this case I suggest that you contact HP for more information.

Contact HP 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:33 AM

All replies

• Model name and number of printer?

Most network printers can be installed automagically:
    Open the Printers folder.  Click the 'add printer' button at the top.  Dialog box opens, select 'local printer.'
    For the printer port, select 'create a new port', and then 'standard TCP/IP port' in the dropdown menu.
    Enter the IP address of the printer, and Windows 7 will, very often, autoinstall the printer.  If your printer isn't listed (or, Windows doesn't autodetect the printer make & model), then you can (and will be prompted to) manually select the printer model.
    In your case, select 'HP' in the 'manufacturer' column, and your printer model name & number in the 'model' column.
    If your model isn't listed, click the 'Windows update' button, and wait patiently while Windows downloads the printer driver library (it isn't stuck, it's just busy.)  Your printer should then be listed.
    Select printer, and finish the wizard.

(FYI:  local printers, if not auto-detected, can be installed the same way.  Only difference:  select 'LPT1', rather, than 'standard TCP/IP port', at the beginning of the wizard.  The rest of it is the same.)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

This issue occurs if the driver of HP Wireless Printer Ugrade kit is not compatible with Windows 7 beta.

I suggest that you temporary disable anti-virus, set the program to run in Windows Vista compatible mode. Then try to reinstall. If the issue persists, I am afraid that the kit does not work in Windows 7 beta. In this case I suggest that you contact HP for more information.

Contact HP 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Chris' response helped me install my HP8500 wired printer.  The database didn't have the printer but "Have Disk" let the process complete when autodetect didn't find the model.

this was my first experience installing a network printer so I found it literally laughable that you must select "local printer" not "network printer" to install a network printer.  I get the idea that you are creating a local port to get to the network printer but that arrangement is counter-intuitive to say the least.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Dude, you are my hero.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:17 PM
  • In order to install the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit in Windows 7 please do the following.

I am using the HP Wireless Upgrade Kit, a HP LJC 1600 printer with Windows 7 Pro 64 Operating System

1. Download and install the HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Basic Software/Drivers (Computer Purchased with Windows Vista Operating System)

2. When the installation reaches 90%on the top bar and 10% at the bottom bar it will hang.

3.This is the point most people get stuck at:- 

4. Right mouse click on the taskbar and start the Task Manager.

5. Select the Wireless Printing upgrade kit in the Applications tab and right mouse click it and select Go to Process.

6.Stop the process called Setupwizard.exe

7. You will get the following pop-up mentioning that the program probably was not correctly installed and that you have two choices to select from: Reinstall with recommended settingsand This program is correctly installed.

8. Choose to reinstall the program and Windows 7 will pop-up the permission request.

9. After allowing, the installation files will be extracted again.

10. You will see the Welcome screen again.

11. Click on install, select I agree, Next.  plug the USB dongle into your PC

12. It will find your printer adapter showing the device connected to it.

13. Click on Next and the installation continues.

14. At the end of the installation an HTML page is launched saying: You need to install the printer software before you can use your printer.

15. After that just right mouse click on the connection manager at the taskbar, select Connect and the Plug and Play will install the printer driver as if the printer was directly connected to the PC.  

If the P&P doesn’t find the driver or does not kick in you can try with Windows update, if the driver is there it will be installed, otherwise use the CD you might have.

16.print something

As a further update new SP for windows 7

I bought an i72600K and a new Motherboard and Windows 7 64 Pro, so needed to reinstall the Wireless printer Upgrade Kit again.  The method above failed as when I got to the stage of Cancelling Setup wizard (Step 6) it cancelled and nothing happened. So something, presumable an update, made this fix incompatible.  So what I did was download the  COL 19877 file from HP

Right click on it and run and selected "Troubleshoot Compatability"  Next window I choser the second option "Troubleshoot compatability" and then selected "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows  but wont install or run now"    NEXT   select Windows Vista  NEXT  and it installed and now I can print on my HP 1600 C which is in the cupboard under the stairs.

Persistance is the key.

• Edited by Wulff1e Monday, March 12, 2012 8:37 PM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Wireless printers may face an installation problem with Windows 7 operating system. For example, Toshiba laptop is compatible with this operating system yet it may require a driver download for executing a print command on wireless printer. To combat this challenge, users are advised to delete and re-install the printer. If the problem persists assign the wireless printer to a fixed address through a router instead of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Accessing the wireless printer from a laptop with Windows 7 operating system can be a challenge. Often, it may display the printer to be offline. To resolve the issue, users must cancel printing jobs immediately and delete offline printers from the Printers option in the Control Panel. Visit the Printer properties and access the Ports tab, delete the printer that displays the offline status and appears as Client Side Rendering Provider. Delete the Port button and click apply. Restart the PC. Now re-install the wireless printer by visiting the Control panel, opening Printers and clicking option add a printer. Now select add a local printer, followed by selecting the option “Use an existing port”, LPT1: (Printer Port). Install the printer driver offered by Windows 7. In the next window leave the Set as a default printer box unchecked and re-name the printer. Click Next. Upon successful installation, the operating system will display the message “You’ve successfully added printer name” get more information for Wireless Printer Windows 7 . Hope this helps you.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:02 AM