Windows 8 (Bare metal restore to dissimilar hardware) - Client Software

General discussion

• Re: Windows 8 Client Software, not Server Software.

I have not found any information from Microsoft indicating that Window 8 "client" will support Bare Metal Restore to dissimilar hardware. If anyone comes across info from MSFT please post.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no official article indicating that Windows 8 will support Bare Metal Restore to different hardware. You can refer to the following post.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/de0ec60e-a51f-4747-be42-f3b7563f1fa9

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:02 AM
  • It was supposed to work in Win 7 and never did without a sysprep- same as the above referenced answer for Server 2008.

There was even an MS video early on after the release of Win 7 that demo'd a restore to dissimilar hardware. It never really worked from posters in the forum.

I would accept the "a system image restore to dissimilar hardware will not work" answer until you get it to work from your own testing.

Good luck!

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:52 AM
  • I guess there's a point where it gets to be too dissimilar, because I've been able to restore a Windows 7 System Image Backup to a different system with 100% success. 

The system I wrote the backup from was a Dell Precision 490, dual processor dual core with hyperthreading, and the system I restored it to was a Dell Precision T5400, dual processor quad core without hyperthreading.  Disk drive layout was the same for both (2 TB C:, 1 TB D:), though the drives were all new.  My T5400 has been perfectliy stable ever since this restoral (now more than 1 year of hard use).  It was the smoothest, most trouble-free system replacement I've ever done.

I mention this in the context of Windows 8 because the Backup and Restore facility is essentially unchanged, and Windows 8 sure acts a lot like a Windows 7.1 system except for the UI.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:30 AM
  • At an elevated command prompt, run SYSPREP.EXE /generalize /oobe /shutdown.  Clone and re-clone to dissimilar hardware.  Works exactly the same as it has since Windows Vista.  Now, how will this translate to cloning from x86 (x86-64) --> ARM devices is unclear.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 9:51 PM
  • This is clearly the way to go when you have time to plan ahead.

But a toasted computer and a System Image backup on a hard drive should be restorable onto a new system, and I don't just mean one that's identical.  This thread seems to imply that's less possible now.

There seems to be a growing sentiment that if people just ignore the above scenario, and maybe it will go away.  In another thread Microsoft stated that hardly anyone uses the Backup facility, so they're deprecating Windows Backup, and (even more telling) that it's better to just reinstall everything anyway.

Doesn't anyone at Microsoft believe that people have data that's valuable?

Doesn't anyone think that people actually have well-tuned, tidy systems that they actually would want to restore?  I can't be the only person with a Windows system that works well and right.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, April 07, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Can't agree more with you, Noel.  Bare metal recovery capability is a fundamental requirement for any business worthy operating system.   And the Windows 7 version of "Backup and Restore" has worked really well for us - on numerous occasions.  Our system builds are complicated.  Many are installed at remote customer sites and continuously collect customer data.  Rebuilding from scratch is not an option.

Deprecating it in Windows 8 just indicates how far out of touch with real world business practices Microsoft is becoming.   While it is likely true that only a small minority of MS based workstation installations will depend on it, it is telling that Microsoft is willing to alienate that customer base that needs that capability.  Those that are the more technically inclined and/or performing the more mission critical functions for their organizations.  I, for one, can't help but reevaluating what operations my organization can migrate to Ubuntu every time Microsoft pulls a bonehead move like this.

I guess Microsoft feels they can make more money catering to air-head consumers that have nothing better to do than continuously monitor Facebook, shop the skymalls, and Tweet about what is trending on Bing.  God help American business...

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Re: Windows 8 Client Software, not Server Software.

I have not found any information from Microsoft indicating that Window 8 "client" will support Bare Metal Restore to dissimilar hardware. If anyone comes across info from MSFT please post.

I was able to swiftly perform a restore on dissimilar hardware for Windows 8 Pro, as noted here

Basically I moved my laptop drive to my new desktop, worked as if nothing changed. I found this incredible, and did not know this was possible for Windows machines-- I was under the impression a BM backup was required. One thing to note is the likely required drivers for any new drive interfaces such as RAID cards. I would install the software first, beforehand. Another thing to note, if you do plan on doing this procedure for 'cloning' purposes, you should consider sysprep first, as it removes old SIDs and does prep the computer for a new deployment, which is necessary.

Monday, April 08, 2013 4:22 PM