none
how use Automatic Update (preferred setting) but avoid downloading SP3?

Question

•  I've got a visually impaired friend I'm trying to help do auto-updates on Windows XP 2, but I don't want to autoupdate Service Pack3. She's not able to use the notify first,then  custom select, before downloading option like I can. How do I enable her to use the full autoupdate (recommended option) but skip SP3 which simply too buggy based on the bad reviews?
    Friday, December 26, 2008 5:59 AM

All replies

• I used the "Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit" to prevent windows update from downloading SP3 until I was ready to do some process of elimination debugging that I knew would be necessary because of past SP3 install attempts/failures.  (Turned out, in my case, that SP3 couldn't handle an external Firewire HD; other than that, no problems with SP3).    

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D7C9A07A-5267-4BD6-87D0-E2A72099EDB7&displaylang=en 

Note that the blocker only works for 12 months following general (SP3) availability; so, unless the policy is changed this is a solution only until 04/21/2009.    
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:36 PM
  • what applications does she use? i have SP3 installed on several machines without any issues to speak of...
    Monday, January 26, 2009 7:24 PM